Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

This is the nub of it. It comes down to you and others being chronic complainers focusing on the negative and ignoring any positive. If you dislike the show this much the real question is why do you still listen. Why do you need to keep coming back?
    Also there seems to be a determination to maintain a clique at all costs among 'regular posters' who behave as a 'group think' echo chamber. It is not welcoming to new posters. There is no divergence of opinion. And most sane people clicking through threads would take one look and say what an on odd thread. Where is the actual content discussion? Isn't discussion supposed to be the basis of boards.ie? Why is this thread so left field it is hardly a lifestyle choice thread.

One argument put forward was because some listen because some find it 'funny', in an ironic way. I don't believe this to be the whole truth of it. Why would some posters feel so ‘put out’ by something they claim to appreciate ironically? There appears to be more to it than that. What the word is I don’t know.

You need only look at the comments yesterday morning. Posters were DISAPPOINTED that there was no misery that they could complain about.

Also the ‘inane waffle’ has acted as a conduit for other topics such the deaf community. I am sure as an avid listener you remember Tubridy mentioning ‘The Sound of Metal’ film.
    The 'inane waffle' seems to be a tactic to provoke comment in an easy going manner. Most people like one or all of films, reading, music. Those are Tubridy’s hobbies. As for the misery bits (so called) I do not like them myself but I can see that some may find solace in it.

But yet when there was no ‘misery’ - there seemed to be an anticipation and the licking of lips on this thread, on the next thing to moan about hypothetically.

These are just two recent examples I have seen it before on this thread on numerous occasions before it was merged a salivating mood to pounce, or talk about when it will probably be the next time to pounce

The focus is never on the positive it seems. The focus is always on the negative.
    Or failing that things that COULD be negative in the future.

It was mentioned how when I summarised content points of the show and gave my opinion there was no engagement. Why? Because I did not focus purely on the negative, and a cohort of posters seemed incapable of discussing content without a negative focus. Or the personality traits of the host etc etc. If I did happen to mention something negative about the show suddenly people 'the group' reacted.

My idea summarising the points of the show was to focus on content. It lets people pick and chose as well.
    Also to attempt to coax posters to discuss content in their own time - no pressure.

But reading the comments from yesterday morning, a passer by on this thread would be a loss to see what content was on the show that morning. What was discussed? Who was on it? Which parts worked, which did not? Was any of the music good? What was the name of the guest? Did the interview go well? There is always scant detail. Just tired lines that posters seem to copy off each other. No original wit from people who seem want others to aspire to 'innovation'. Again that irony is not lost on me.

Instead we had posters complaining that there was no misery to complain about. For people who claim to hate misery (which you do not have to listen to) some seem to be determined to make the thread miserable in itself. Which seems to be the height of irony to me.

The most animated I saw this thread was on a discussion on who to replace Tubridy with. It speaks volumes.

To quote a much used Tubridy 'quote' on this thread some would say it is 'intriguing'. But I would use another word the thread and resulting ‘group think’ of posters it attracts are BORING. Where is the divergence of opinion the healthy back and forth?

Instead it is mainly just posters echoing another on how much they dislike the show. At most if there is a compliment on the show it is back handed. Maybe that is the way of the internet people need a target? I don't think it is very healthy carry on at all.

At one stage when I would listen to the show. I would predict what would be said on the thread by posters after I listened. It was 'posting bingo'. Very obvious stuff. Nothing positive said, same cliches that are used ad nauseam by those who seem to have made it some form or martyrdom to listen to show they don't like. I stopped the 'poster bingo' after a while because, I felt guilty and a certain amount of pity. I don't know people's circumstances it might be their only outlet - and they find ‘fun’ in the show they hate and the presenter they hate. Like an odd form of stress release?
    Plus from psychological point of view it has been shown in studies that a group bonds more over something they can hate collectively.

Sometimes it was as if posters listened to a different show as anything positive was ignored completely. Or twisted to a hypothetical if there was nothing to whine about. For instance when there were children on from all over the country for the pet quiz show. The narrative was quickly created on a Tubridy Thread by posters that it was all D4 kids and they must all somehow know Tubridy. When the reality was the kids were clearly chosen from alaround the country.
    Cork, Laois etc to name but two. Yet a cohort of posters claim there is no sincerity in the show, yet they themselves seem immune from a requirement to show any sincerity. Just the snide stuff.

There is no in depth or real discussion of CONTENT. There has been plenty of decent interviews or potential talking points that never get picked up on in recent months. Yet it never got picked up on by the cohort. As posters focus is on the negative they don’t seem to want to notice it. It got to the stage where I not only could predict what was going to be said. I could predict the posters who would say it for bonus points. And what would be ignored.

And no I am am not making it up that is the level of posting. Pity really, as it does not encourage new posters or vibrant discussion.

I might just go back to play 'poster bingo' if/when I listen to future shows. Just the odd time every few months just to see if anything has changed on occasion on this thread. If I can get over the guilt of watching people torturing themselves on a full spin cycle.

However, I cannot see myself posting on this thread anymore, as to paraphrase Bono.
    It seems to be ‘stuck in a moment that it can't get out of.’

I will just be the fly on the wall instead.

Ever heard of irony?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

'But reading the comments from yesterday morning, a passer by on this thread would be a loss to see what content was on the show that morning. What was discussed? Who was on it'

Why would somebody come onto this thread to see what content was in the show, what was discussed, who was on it?

If I wanted to know that I'd be listening live in the first place or catch the podcast. I come to this thread to read opinions, positive and negative, after I've heard the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

This is the nub of it. It comes down to you and others being chronic complainers focusing on the negative and ignoring any positive. If you dislike the show this much the real question is why do you still listen. Why do you need to keep coming back?
    Also there seems to be a determination to maintain a clique at all costs among 'regular posters' who behave as a 'group think' echo chamber. It is not welcoming to new posters. There is no divergence of opinion. And most sane people clicking through threads would take one look and say what an on odd thread. Where is the actual content discussion? Isn't discussion supposed to be the basis of boards.ie? Why is this thread so left field it is hardly a lifestyle choice thread.

One argument put forward was because some listen because some find it 'funny', in an ironic way. I don't believe this to be the whole truth of it. Why would some posters feel so ‘put out’ by something they claim to appreciate ironically? There appears to be more to it than that. What the word is I don’t know.

You need only look at the comments yesterday morning. Posters were DISAPPOINTED that there was no misery that they could complain about.

Also the ‘inane waffle’ has acted as a conduit for other topics such the deaf community. I am sure as an avid listener you remember Tubridy mentioning ‘The Sound of Metal’ film.
    The 'inane waffle' seems to be a tactic to provoke comment in an easy going manner. Most people like one or all of films, reading, music. Those are Tubridy’s hobbies. As for the misery bits (so called) I do not like them myself but I can see that some may find solace in it.

But yet when there was no ‘misery’ - there seemed to be an anticipation and the licking of lips on this thread, on the next thing to moan about hypothetically.

These are just two recent examples I have seen it before on this thread on numerous occasions before it was merged a salivating mood to pounce, or talk about when it will probably be the next time to pounce

The focus is never on the positive it seems. The focus is always on the negative.
    Or failing that things that COULD be negative in the future.

It was mentioned how when I summarised content points of the show and gave my opinion there was no engagement. Why? Because I did not focus purely on the negative, and a cohort of posters seemed incapable of discussing content without a negative focus. Or the personality traits of the host etc etc. If I did happen to mention something negative about the show suddenly people 'the group' reacted.

My idea summarising the points of the show was to focus on content. It lets people pick and chose as well.
    Also to attempt to coax posters to discuss content in their own time - no pressure.

But reading the comments from yesterday morning, a passer by on this thread would be a loss to see what content was on the show that morning. What was discussed? Who was on it? Which parts worked, which did not? Was any of the music good? What was the name of the guest? Did the interview go well? There is always scant detail. Just tired lines that posters seem to copy off each other. No original wit from people who seem want others to aspire to 'innovation'. Again that irony is not lost on me.

Instead we had posters complaining that there was no misery to complain about. For people who claim to hate misery (which you do not have to listen to) some seem to be determined to make the thread miserable in itself. Which seems to be the height of irony to me.

The most animated I saw this thread was on a discussion on who to replace Tubridy with. It speaks volumes.

To quote a much used Tubridy 'quote' on this thread some would say it is 'intriguing'. But I would use another word the thread and resulting ‘group think’ of posters it attracts are BORING. Where is the divergence of opinion the healthy back and forth?

Instead it is mainly just posters echoing another on how much they dislike the show. At most if there is a compliment on the show it is back handed. Maybe that is the way of the internet people need a target? I don't think it is very healthy carry on at all.

At one stage when I would listen to the show. I would predict what would be said on the thread by posters after I listened. It was 'posting bingo'. Very obvious stuff. Nothing positive said, same cliches that are used ad nauseam by those who seem to have made it some form or martyrdom to listen to show they don't like. I stopped the 'poster bingo' after a while because, I felt guilty and a certain amount of pity. I don't know people's circumstances it might be their only outlet - and they find ‘fun’ in the show they hate and the presenter they hate. Like an odd form of stress release?
    Plus from psychological point of view it has been shown in studies that a group bonds more over something they can hate collectively.

Sometimes it was as if posters listened to a different show as anything positive was ignored completely. Or twisted to a hypothetical if there was nothing to whine about. For instance when there were children on from all over the country for the pet quiz show. The narrative was quickly created on a Tubridy Thread by posters that it was all D4 kids and they must all somehow know Tubridy. When the reality was the kids were clearly chosen from alaround the country.
    Cork, Laois etc to name but two. Yet a cohort of posters claim there is no sincerity in the show, yet they themselves seem immune from a requirement to show any sincerity. Just the snide stuff.

There is no in depth or real discussion of CONTENT. There has been plenty of decent interviews or potential talking points that never get picked up on in recent months. Yet it never got picked up on by the cohort. As posters focus is on the negative they don’t seem to want to notice it. It got to the stage where I not only could predict what was going to be said. I could predict the posters who would say it for bonus points. And what would be ignored.

And no I am am not making it up that is the level of posting. Pity really, as it does not encourage new posters or vibrant discussion.

I might just go back to play 'poster bingo' if/when I listen to future shows. Just the odd time every few months just to see if anything has changed on occasion on this thread. If I can get over the guilt of watching people torturing themselves on a full spin cycle.

However, I cannot see myself posting on this thread anymore, as to paraphrase Bono.
    It seems to be ‘stuck in a moment that it can't get out of.’

I will just be the fly on the wall instead.

Good decision there,a chara, very sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Merging the threads has gone well.

......... whistling whilst slowly walking backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

He said he was going to Collins Barracks today to see stuff and would 'report ' on his visit tomorrow. He had artefacts on the LLS not too long ago fron the Barracks however so I am not sure what's going on here.
    If this is a personal trip why tell the nation about it?

Uncharted wrote: »
    Merging the threads has gone well.

......... whistling whilst slowly walking backwards.
    Ah lads, this is hardly the destruction of the Berlin Wall. It's just an internet thread with a bit of disagreement. If we weren't disagreeing with each other, we would have nothing to say.

I hope gormdubhgorm reconsiders not posting here. A balance of views would be great. Someone needs to speak for the hundreds of thousands (and rising) daily listeners; they're not increasingly tuning-in "ironically".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bobbyss wrote: »
    He said he was going to Collins Barracks today to see stuff and would 'report ' on his visit tomorrow. He had artefacts on the LLS not too long ago fron the Barracks however so I am not sure what's going on here.
    If this is a personal trip why tell the nation about it?

I guess it's because the museum is a wonderful place to go and free of charge to anyone who wants to visit.

Giving them a bit of a mention is a sort of public service.

https://www.museum.ie/en-IE/Museums/Decorative-Arts-History

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Is there going to be some content made out of this trip to the museum? An interview or something, bit of footage??

Or does he just take the private tour, say he enjoyed it, and job done?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I wouldn't be surprised if the new female brigadier general will be a guest on Fridays Lls, maybe some tie-in thing with Collins barracks

• Advertisement

elperello wrote:
    Giving them a bit of a mention is a sort of public service.

elperello wrote:
    I guess it's because the museum is a wonderful place to go and free of charge to anyone who wants to visit.

But he already has done that with the feature on the LLS. And that wasn't too long ago either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I think they part he was excited about was that he is lucky enough to be shown around behind the scenes. Like seeing willy wonkas chocolate factory I think was the description.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I think they part he was excited about was that he is lucky enough to be shown around behind the scenes. Like seeing willy wonkas chocolate factory I think was the description.

The constant need to infantilize himself is just really odd.

The constant need to infantilize himself is just really odd.

Think he just enjoys history, tbh. Not quite sure how you've delved into some psychoanalytical motives there.

Think he just enjoys history, tbh. Not quite sure how you've delved into some psychoanalytical motives there.

Because he compares a great deal of his life to that of Willy Wonka (or whatever Roald Dahl book he's reading this week). He talks about taking himself on "school tours", and thinks its gas that he orders from the kiddies menu when he goes out to eat. Not to mention that he constantly says things like "adults are children with wrinkles".

As another poster has pointed out, he used to be a young fogie, now he's a child in an adults body.

It doesnt take Sigmund Freud to see that he portrays himself in childish terms. The question is, does he genuinely go around thinking about Charlie Bucket 24/7 or does he just put on the manchild act because he thinks it's cute? (edit: not sure which of those options would be worse!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The usual bullsh1t article about how next year will be a game changer, and that's a promise folks, has arrived with a jaded inevitability.

Every year, you could set your watch by it. The same old guff.
    Ryan Tubridy has said he is running out of gas ahead of the last Late Late Show of the season this Friday.

The 47-year-old will then be off work for ‘a couple of weeks’ to ‘regroup’.

Absolutely no self awareness.
    We’re already planning our Late Late Show for September, and I think it’s already beginning to feel like another programme – and a whole other ballgame entirely in terms of what it’s going to be,’ he said.

Yeah, yeah.
    Tubridy added that ‘I also think then you should have to say: “Right, what’s next?”‘ He continued: ‘That’s what [The West Wing character] President Bartlet always asks – “What’s next?” And what’s next is bigger, brighter, better and [a] post-pandemic buzzy return in September.

So, I’m already excited about the first show back – that’s how good it’s going to be.

‘And that’s a promise.’

Something very slightly askew about this lad.

• Advertisement

Is there going to be some content made out of this trip to the museum? An interview or something, bit of footage??

Or does he just take the private tour, say he enjoyed it, and job done?

I don't know. I'm sure they will be glad of a mention on a popular radio programme.
    But he already has done that with the feature on the LLS. And that wasn't too long ago either.

TBH Collins Barracks is so good it deserves all the attention it gets and more. And as for the one in Castlebar that's another gem.

Do people seriously think this? Or believe it is a proportionate, balanced reaction to a pretty trivial morning-radio-programme?

Am curious to understand how widespread this reaction is.

It's not disproportionate at all. It's a fair observation i.e. he shoehorns Willy Wonka references into every topic of conversation and has branded himself as a child with wrinkles.

It has been mentioned before on the thread, including in one fairly recent post as
    I said before. So yeah, other people think that he portrays himself as a child to the point of it being weird.

elperello wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm sure they will be glad of a mention on a popular radio programme.

TBH Collins Barracks is so good it deserves all the attention it gets and more. And as for the one in Castlebar that's another gem.

They'll be chuffed with a mention alright. And at the very least he'll put it on his Instagram. It'll give him something to talk about tomorrow too, so there'll be less waffle.

It's not disproportionate at all. It's a fair observation i.e. he shoehorns Willy Wonka references into every topic of conversation and has branded himself as a child with wrinkles.

It has been mentioned before on the thread, including in one fairly recent post as
    I said before. So yeah, other people think that he portrays himself as a child to the point of it being weird.

Ah you must have hit reply before I'd deleted that post. I posted it in exasperation, and won't expand on it.
    I do find this caviling to be strange, but people are entitled to their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Ah you must have hit reply before I'd deleted that post. I posted it in exasperation, and won't expand on it.
    I do find this caviling to be strange, but people are entitled to their opinions.

My opinion is well known at this stage, so no point in expounding further on it.

I am happy though, to justify the reasoning around my own exasperation.

This guy is in receipt of an obscene amount of OUR money, funnelled through a vehicle enabling him to pay as little tax as possible, and bankrolled by an inefficient, loss making, and underperforming organisation whose ineptitude is only matched by their collective arrogance.

He has no real world experience, inhabiting a pseudo comic book reality of fake expression and fantasy, yet considers himself an authority on everything-down to pouring forth nonsense in his morning monologues, on matters on which he knows little or nothing-the pandemic being just one example.

He is literally phoning it in. He does about as much research as D'Arcy (as in, sweet FA), but conceals that to some degree through a more polished style of communication, nonetheless, it is plainly obvious to even a casual observer, that he's winging it, every day of the week, and every Friday night of the year. Same old nonsense every time. No spontaneity, no empathy, no concept of how to direct an interview, sense the flow, elicit an interesting response.

He promises the nation fun, yet indulges what almost seems to be a pathological interest in misery and misfortune, every chance he gets. This is probably the proverbial red rag to me, because, in a society beset by mental health issues, he is not only useless, but harmful in his obsession.

He is the emperor with no clothes, and he runs a mile from any channel that could offer anything less than unadulterated adulation. He offers up examples of his own hypocrisy and lack of consistency, every time he takes to the airwaves. He will, seemingly unconsciously, flit from one viewpoint to the next, dependent on who he's talking to. That's a poor reflection on anyone's character, to say the least.

And I will continue to call him out on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

God bless him he's tired, and has to take a fortnight off (wasn't he off for a full week only recently).

I wonder if the nurse he interviewed who was homeschooling 3 children, one of whom had special needs, is able to get a fortnight off to 'regroup'?

shutterstock_542644177.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Brilliantly beautiful bonkers questions.

The school tour continues.

Jesus Ryan porridge is D'arcy's territory! How would you like it if he started talking about terminal illness, suicide, cancer and death?

Oh... wait....

Lol throwing cakes in the bin unless the cream is spectacularly fresh. Let them eat cake indeed!

Attended a lecture about this on board Hurtigruten's MS Fram during a voyage to Antarctica in 2017.

He said he spent the afternoon at the museum after visiting a school for an hour yesterday.
    How come he has so much time off?

Meanwhile I would say he did more talking than he allowed his author guest today. Couldn't shut up.

He said he spent the afternoon at the museum after visiting a school for an hour yesterday.
    How come he has so much time off?

Meanwhile I would say he did more talking than he allowed his author guest today. Couldn't shut up.

It's just his hours caller, not time off. Finish up around 10am and maybe do a bit of late late 'planning' the odd day. Off then for the rest of the day to go for walks on the pier, visit galleries and museums and read books and watch TV shows.

It may not sounds too gruelling to you but Ryan has said a few times now that he needs to take some time off to rest, recover and recharge his batteries. Everyone has their own limits I suppose. Seeing as though most of his days are spent doing what a majority of people do to relax I would be interested in hearing what he does differently while on holidays.

It's an amazing contract and I would love to have it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Can this lad not tip down to Great Outdoors or similiar and buy his own hiking gear. Waterproofs and backpacks are not going to break the bank....and when he's on the way home wheel into his local Lidl Tesco or Aldi and buy a loaf of bread, half pound of butter and a block of cheese or a few tomatoes and make his own sandwiches.

If that's too much work, they also sell readymade samwiches, wraps and rolls.

Mena Mitty wrote:
    Can this lad not tip down to Great Outdoors or similiar and buy his own hiking gear. Waterproofs and backpacks are not going to break the bank....and when he's on the way home wheel into his local Lidl Tesco or Aldi and buy a loaf of bread, half pound of butter and a block of cheese or a few tomatoes and make his own sandwiches.

Mena Mitty wrote:
    If that's too much work, they also sell readymade samwiches, wraps and rolls.

Yep. Exactly so.
    I suppose we are going to be hearing about his climb uo Karen Too Hill for the next boring year.

I am happy though, to justify the reasoning around my own exasperation.

This guy is in receipt of an obscene amount of OUR money, funnelled through a vehicle enabling him to pay as little tax as possible, and bankrolled by an inefficient, loss making, and underperforming organisation whose ineptitude is only matched by their collective arrogance.

He has no real world experience, inhabiting a pseudo comic book reality of fake expression and fantasy, yet considers himself an authority on everything-down to pouring forth nonsense in his morning monologues, on matters on which he knows little or nothing-the pandemic being just one example.

He is literally phoning it in. He does about as much research as D'Arcy (as in, sweet FA), but conceals that to some degree through a more polished style of communication, nonetheless, it is plainly obvious to even a casual observer, that he's winging it, every day of the week, and every Friday night of the year. Same old nonsense every time. No spontaneity, no empathy, no concept of how to direct an interview, sense the flow, elicit an interesting response.

In all fairness, that is a considered opinion, and a convincing one.

I personally think some of the criticism is unreasonably OTT, although it's possibly said in jest and perhaps I am a humourless bastard. But i would draw a sharp distinction between OTT criricism and what you have posted above.

Great post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Hate how he constantly reels off words to describe things he has no intention of following through on.

"next week will be bigger, better, brighter, longer, faster, hotter, racier than last week!"

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Hate how he constantly reels off words to describe things he has no intention of following through on.

"next week will be bigger, better, brighter, longer, faster, hotter, racier than last week!"

He means his bank balance after next weeks paycheck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

RTE's Ryan Tubridy has revealed his advice to the sixth class of an Irish primary school.

The 47-year-old Dubliner gave a talk to the students of Scoil Mhuire, Sandymount, Co Dublin outside in the school yard on Wednesday.

He said: "All you got to do girls is read lots of books and be polite, you'll be surprised how many doors that opens for you."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rtes-ryan-tubridy-simple-advice-24195573.amp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Dis yoius eat the slow greyhound Joe

Dis yoius eat the slow greyhound Joe

Bit of interference, another channel breaking in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

hawley wrote: »
    RTE's Ryan Tubridy has revealed his advice to the sixth class of an Irish primary school.

The 47-year-old Dubliner gave a talk to the students of Scoil Mhuire, Sandymount, Co Dublin outside in the school yard on Wednesday.

He said: "All you got to do girls is read lots of books and be polite, you'll be surprised how many doors that opens for you."
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/irish-showbiz/rtes-ryan-tubridy-simple-advice-24195573.amp

And be born into a well connected family. That's the important part.

hawley wrote: »

Pretty good advice really.

I also liked Roger Moore's advice as relayed by RT in the Mirror article "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all".

elperello wrote:

Pretty insipid if you ask me. Read books and be polite? Is that all he had to say to these youngsters. Nothing about striving to be the best. To work hard. To be ambitious. Etc etc etc.

elperello wrote: »

I also liked Roger Moore's advice as relayed by RT in the Mirror article "If you have nothing good to say, say nothing at all".

Is it all very trite inspiring.

And I don't know how many people the "if you have nothing nice.... " Has been attributed to( does he cite Moore in the article). But I really wish people would stop using it.
    It gets thrown out there a lot by people trying to claim some sort of moral high ground or to offset some critisism.

All very dull and uninspiring.

• Advertisement

Pretty insipid if you ask me. Read books and be polite? Is that all he had to say to these youngsters. Nothing about striving to be the best. To work hard. To be ambitious. Etc etc etc.

You have a few good inspirational points there and I think RT's points are entirely complementary to them.

The thing about speaking to groups of kids is that you need to try and use a couple of take away points that they can all relate to.

Reading books and being polite is relevant to all levels of ability and will add to anyone's life experience.

There are many who will never be the best or for one reason or another may not achieve their ambitions no matter how hard they try.
    Is it all very trite inspiring.

And I don't know how many people the "if you have nothing nice.... " Has been attributed to( does he cite Moore in the article). But I really wish people would stop using it.
    It gets thrown out there a lot by people trying to claim some sort of moral high ground or to offset some critisism.

All very dull and uninspiring.

A lot of those sayings that are very familiar are as old as time itself. It's not as if Roger Moore was claiming he invented it, just that he subscribed to the sentiment.

The gist of it is that sometimes it's best to hold your peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Pussyhands wrote: »

"Things can only get bedda", boop bboopp de boop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I hate this mainstream media theme of telling us that there was a famine when in fact there was plenty of food produced in the country for everyone at the time but it was exported out of the country to Britain.

I hate this mainstream media theme of telling us that there was a famine when in fact there was plenty of food produced in the country for everyone at the time but it was exported out of the country to Britain.

It's not a "mainstream media" issue at all.

It's referred to as The Famine by the State, historians and in folk memory.

You are right to say that we should be aware of the real causes.

Hasn't RT claimed in that past that the food going to the UK narrative isn't true. Or at least tried to argue its wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Hasn't RT claimed in that past that the food going to the UK narrative isn't true. Or at least tried to argue its wrong.

Perhaps he was referring to the campaign by the wheat and grain farmers who were in the main of well off Catholic native stock against the importing of large amounts of indian meal into Ireland because it would reduce the price of their own grain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭maebee

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/rtes-ryan-tubridy-running-out-24187009

Shur he needs the break from all his hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

:cool:I hear that Callan is ‘deputising’ for Tubridy for a while, starting next Monday.

Hope he keeps the shilling of the Shinners to Kicks and Twitter.

Very bad decision in my opinion, giving this lad control of the national Airwaves.

Will be listening carefully:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

:cool:I hear that Callan is ‘deputising’ for Tubridy for a while, starting next Monday.

Hope he keeps the shilling of the Shinners to Kicks and Twitter.

Very bad decision in my opinion, giving this lad control of the national Airwaves.

Will be listening carefully:cool:

I listened the last time he stood in for Tubs, I don't think he is cut out for hosting a show.

NIMAN wrote:
    I listened the last time he stood in for Tubs, I don't think he is cut out for hosting a show.

I think he is another one who spends half the programme waffling away. As if what he's saying is really interesting.

I think he is another one who spends half the programme waffling away. As if what he's saying is really interesting.

I guess that is one of the problems with the show. The format has little structure. It's a couple of guests with the host freestyling and making up the rest.

A hard job for even the best of presenters. Off the top of my head I can't think of any show on the national stations that can carry it off.

Moncreif, Kenny, BOC, Claire Byrne all structured with segments tightly scheduled and researched.

• Advertisement
Advertisement