Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I guess that is one of the problems with the show. The format has little structure. It's a couple of guests with the host freestyling and making up the rest.

A hard job for even the best of presenters. Off the top of my head I can't think of any show on the national stations that can carry it off.

Moncreif, Kenny, BOC, Claire Byrne all structured with segments tightly scheduled and researched.

Maybe they think it is part of its ... charm. It is nothing but lazy broadcasting. I don't find Tubridy or Callan's take on what The Sun is gossiping about of any interest. That's the kind of fare you expect from other stations where you have two presenters going on about stuff like the Kardashians for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

interview with him there in the Times if anyone's interested.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-therapy-wasn-t-for-me-i-couldn-t-get-out-of-the-chatshow-guest-mode-1.4576816

he doesnt seem to give away much or be willing to talk about himself at all. Everything is off limits! And he distnces himself from decisions around his salary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/ryan-tubridy-therapy-wasn-t-for-me-i-couldn-t-get-out-of-the-chatshow-guest-mode-1.4576816

he doesnt seem to give away much or be willing to talk about himself at all. Everything is off limits! And he distnces himself from decisions around his salary.

To be fair. It is hard to argue against his stance on the salary. He says his agent goes in asks for X amount and RTE pay or they don't. I think anyone would do the same. Very few people are willing to turn down money if they can get paid it.

A better question might of been to ask about the morality of his tax arrangements. Or given his stance on his own privacy. How does he feel about premoting tabloids who routenly invade others.

Whole interview was pointless even as a fluff piece. The only thing I did get out of it. Is the first twenty minutes of the show are indeed unplanned. And intended to just be RT riffing on the papers.
    Might be time to replace that segment

To be fair. It is hard to argue against his stance on the salary. He says his agent goes in asks for X amount and RTE pay or they don't. I think anyone would do the same. Very few people are willing to turn down money if they can get paid it

The thing is, if the market were to dictate things, RTE itself might not survive. It is protected from the market, as is he. I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said "of course I'm gonna take the money!".
    A better question might of been to ask about the morality of his tax arrangements. Or given his stance on his own privacy. How does he feel about premoting tabloids who routenly invade others.

Agree 100%. Poor interviewing for not having the guts to go there IMO.
    Whole interview was pointless even as a fluff piece...

Yep. Why even bother like!? Some of the quotes from it are typical Tubridy blabbering.

“I’ve had many different experiences in my life, all of which are personal and private and aren’t discussed... they allow me to understand people better. Because I’m probably still trying to understand myself.”

This kind of vague nonsense. Exactly the kind of "riffing" you hear on his radio show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd listen to a review of the papers and a bit of chat about what's going on around the country any morning of the week. Variety is the spice of life.

With Ryan it's the same old, same old, over and over again. American presidents and politics, school, kids and books, etc. Fake guffawing mid-sentence at things that aren't funny. It's getting very old.

I haven't been listening to RT this week. But I have just listened back to the Julian Sancton interview.

Jesus it was awful, the questions were fawning, shallow and vapid. Sancton did a fantastic job rescuing it.
    But zero thought went into RT questions. And his commentry on the book.
    "They look like they could be in the east village"
    "It's like a marvel movie, and it would be like Guardians of the Galaxy"
    "Nature is awesome"

What amazing insights you have Ryan.

Imagine being shocked with scientists being curious about the field they are studying.

Shockingly bad even for you Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd listen to a review of the papers and a bit of chat about what's going on around the country any morning of the week. Variety is the spice of life.

With Ryan it's the same old, same old, over and over again. American presidents and politics, school, kids and books, etc. Fake guffawing mid-sentence at things that aren't funny. It's getting very old.

Don't forget a sprinkling of cancer or some terminal illness, bereavement and general sadness.

Oliver having a mild dig at Ryan perhaps scuffing his elbow in Carrauntoohil and needing to be texted to a carpeted pub for recovery :D

The man from Dublin being transported up de reek by de local Kerry Sherpas.

554527.jpeg

I distinctly like the sound of Bríd being interviewed. She sounds genuinely warm and sincere.

• Advertisement

Nah, he goes one worse – claims the salary is up to the market.

What market??

Who is gonna pay Tubridy 500k pa, Bauer Media/ Newstalk? I doubt it. Despite all their marketing, they barely snapped at the heels of RTE when they poached Pat Kenny. Bauer is in rescue-mode.

Tubridy had a stint with the BBC, nothing came of it. Andrew Marr is paid less than Tubridy. Andrew Marr is a household name, Tubridy is not.

What market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Nothing, I say again,nothing, can justify the wages paid to Tubridy in RTE.

Certainly not the market……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Nothing, I say again,nothing, can justify the wages paid to Tubridy in RTE.

Certainly not the market……

His wages are a legacy thing now.
    They have been set at a high figure at a time when things were good and everyone was flush in the country, and they simply haven't the balls to renegotiate them with RT or his management.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if Dee4 was to bring in Tubs and say, "look Ryan we are halving your wages", he would huff, go away and say he would have to think about it etc, but he would come back and accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

NIMAN wrote: »
    They have been set at a high figure at a time when things were good and everyone was flush in the country, and they simply haven't the balls to renegotiate them with RT or his management.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if Dee4 was to bring in Tubs and say, "look Ryan we are halving your wages", he would huff, go away and say he would have to think about it etc, but he would come back and accept.

The next time a "major talent" (e.g.Tubs, Duffy, Darcy) contract is up for renewal, Dee should become personally involved in talks with the talent and agent and present a contract of 220K. The talent and agent will no doubt reject it out of hand and demand that Dee come up with a better offer within, say. five days, to which Dee agrees. At the next meeting Dee presents a contract worth 200K p.a. They might take her seriously then.
    Channel 4 did something similar with Carol Vorderman.
    Nevertheless I confidently expect to see pigs flying before such a scenario might unfold!

NIMAN wrote: »

Agreed. He could probably land a radio job with the BBC for 200k, if he's really willing to up sticks. Despite the opprobrium that is often poured on him, Tubridy is a talented presenter.

There is just no justification for his fee. It's divorced from reality, it's almost like a courtesy, a sinecure that the taxpayer should be rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

curioser wrote: »
    The next time a "major talent" (e.g.Tubs, Duffy, Darcy) contract is up for renewal, Dee should become personally involved in talks with the talent and agent and present a contract of 220K. The talent and agent will no doubt reject it out of hand and demand that Dee come up with a better offer within, say. five days, to which Dee agrees. At the next meeting Dee presents a contract worth 200K p.a. They might take her seriously then.
    Channel 4 did something similar with Carol Vorderman.
    Nevertheless I confidently expect to see pigs flying before such a scenario might unfold!

I like that idea.

The problem as I see it is - while Dee is fantastic at relieving RTE of a large salary/expenses package and is one of the best 'management speak' wafflers I have ever heard, she's just incapable of doing the job.

She blagged her way into the position (probably using lots of the management speak) and has been shown up now to be hopelessly inept and just resorts to scabbing off the govt/taxpayer.

She's there 5 years and the place is still a basket case.

EDIT- Thought I was posting in the licence fee thread (still relevant here though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Nah, he goes one worse – claims the salary is up to the market.

What market??

Who is gonna pay Tubridy 500k pa, Bauer Media/ Newstalk? I doubt it. Despite all their marketing, they barely snapped at the heels of RTE when they poached Pat Kenny. Bauer is in rescue-mode.

Tubridy had a stint with the BBC, nothing came of it. Andrew Marr is paid less than Tubridy. Andrew Marr is a household name, Tubridy is not.

What market?

the private sector would give an RTE presenter good money just to poach them as seen with Kenny. The best move ever was TodayFm allowing darcy to be poached when his skills started to wane :)

the private sector would give an RTE presenter good money just to poach them as seen with Kenny. The best move ever was TodayFm allowing darcy to be poached when his skills started to wane :)

They did, but Newstalk thought he audience would follow. They didn't.

And if I remember correctly TodayFM were not happy about Darcy being poached. He was taken off air straight away once it was announced, with Anton Savage taking over the slot.

I imagine they are delighted in hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Have to say OC has been very funny for the first few minutes today and yesterday, and those are the only bits of the program I've heard. He gets good mileage from taking the mick of Joe Duffy and the "washerhands" phenomenon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

plodder wrote: »
    Have to say OC has been very funny for the first few minutes today and yesterday, and those are the only bits of the program I've heard. He gets good mileage from taking the mick of Joe Duffy and the "washerhands" phenomenon.

I actually enjoy Callan as a presenter.

I think he's refreshing and if he can be freed of the seemingly essential RTE " death inquisition " style of interview,he will do well.

An injection of humour in the morning sets the tone for the day I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Really like Oliver Callan in this slot. I had stopped listening to Ryan Tubridy for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Same, I only tune into this slot when I know he is on. The "monologue" at the start can be good for a laugh, miles ahead of listening to that other eejit sh1ite on about himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Agreed, Tubridy should be put out to grass - he is at least 67 isn't he?

He'll be full of beans and fully rejuvenated after his 2 week holiday to 'recharge' from his exhausting work schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Oh no, our holidays are over, Tubridy's back.

Callan was a breath of fresh air.

Please, RTE, put him into the retirement home. How much would it cost, one million, two million? Whatever, it would be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Is there anything as animated as someone who has never really left Dublin that just spent a few days 'down the country'?

Prepare for plenty compliments about the people of Ireland, what a great little country we have, the weather haha, how we should be proud of ourselves, its a great place to staycation, RECHARGED AND CANT WAIT FOR THE TOY SHOW AT CHRISTMAS, the big boss man from Dublin who came down and saved the economy of rural Ireland by accepting free coffees and ice creams, how we should all shop locally and plenty irish (read freinds of RTE) people on the late late next year.

That 'interview' with the paper was rediculous esp the comment re the market deciding the wages.

I feel that Tubrudy's legacy has already been sealed. Its not going to be the Toyman persona much as RTE and himself will tell us it is. Its going to be that at in the middle of one of the darkest and most difficult times in the nations history when covid and uncertainty were approaching a peak he brought on to the Late Late Show a popular former superstar boxers who many many people hold fond and positive memories that tragically had recently lost a child and reduced the man to an emotional wreck live on air. I'll never forget what an absolute disgrace that was. So inappropriate.

Come back Oliver Callen.

Please

The Irish Meeeeer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Boutique Famine Museum

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

dvcireland wrote: »
    Boutique Famine Museum

I heard that. Every room in the museum had a bespoke theme related to workhouse living. Soft furnishings made from empty spud sacks. The whole place is a real jewel in the Crown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

I cannot abide Carl Herny being rolled out for every conversation about exercise and fitness. We need many and diverse voices (in the widest sense) on the airwaves about health and fitness.

Didn't hear the show today.

But very few comments on it.

Was it a non-event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

boarddotie wrote: »
    I cannot abide Carl Herny being rolled out for every conversation about exercise and fitness. We need many and diverse voices (in the widest sense) on the airwaves about health and fitness.

Tune in to Kathryn Thomas so. Feckin' Joe Wicks is on it.

Boutique Famine Museum

Literally diminishing one of the most devastating famines in modern history, per capita, to a gentrified holiday experience, not even ironically.

I don't mind dark humour, but he was clearly oblivious to how dismissive, borderline disrespectful, it sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The man is not well.

Boutique Famine Museum

Leaving aside the ignorance about the famine, describing anything as "boutique" is a tell-tale sign of a pretentious tit.

Remember Eoghan Murphy described co-living as trendy boutique hotels :D

Hasn't Ryan got form when it comes to the Irish famine. Hasn't he a slightly unconventional take on the famine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Response was gorgeous!

Pr1ck!

Extra extra extra extra laughing and giggling today to indicate being refreshed and reenergised.

Sounds demented but other than that and no difference whatsoever between the content when he was 'tired' before the 2 weeks off and this utter rubbish.

Bring back Callan.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Extra extra extra extra laughing and giggling today to indicate being refreshed and reenergised.

Sounds demented but other than that and no difference whatsoever between the content when he was 'tired' before the 2 weeks off and this utter rubbish.

Bring back Callan.

I heard a few minutes. That fake laughing mid sentence is diabolical

• Advertisement

Genuinely, give the gig to Callan.

He was in the seat for a fortnight, and I know nothing of his personal life or his afternoon/ evening activities.

He actually spoke about other things,not himself.

Tubbs, take note !!!!!!

Callan ftw.

The fact that this thread was a ghost town during his tenure is surely an indication that he's doing something right.

The misery is back. Didn't take long.

He'll never change, why would he bother?

He'll never change, why would he bother?

True.

He is handsomely rewarded for his shtick.

He lives in an echo-chamber of self praise.

Twitter and Facebook are evil, cruel and unkind.
    Tubbs speak for peoples opinions of him are wrong.

Instagram is kind and pure.
    Tubbs speak for zero comments on his inadequacies as a radio host.

Mr. Fun closes out with another little bit of misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Good man Tubbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Good man Tubbs

Imagine he was a real diva in real life “ I take the bill is settled ya I’ll give you a shout out “

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Very interesting……… if genuine would be something which needs a little further investigation.

Good man Tubbs

Tubridy said that he drove back to Dublin after climbing carrauntoohil so must have stayed there the night before. They must have only offered the one free night, how miserly are they?!?!?!

Do they not realise that their guest was a man who the market has decided is worth paying five hundred thousand euro each each year for 1 hour of radio and a weekly television show? A man who brought us moments such as laughing at Shane Lynch even tho Shane requested not to be made the butt of a joke and pointed out that Shane was actually in the wrong for not finding it funny- so brave, and in the depths of the covid fear Barry McGuigan struggling to come to terms with a tragic loss. A man who some weeks of the year finds the sickest people with the saddest stories in the country just so we can feel better about ourselves in comparison, a man who rehersed for months to sing up to three songs in one night, a man so revered that delivery men reach into their lorries and hand him eggs and bread out of sheer gratitude. A man who OFFERED to get one of the first vaccines available in the state live on air so that we could all watch and feel better. That hotel should hang their heads in shame for not keeping a room open for him ad finium.

• Advertisement

Fake laugh by the middle of the third sentence.

Autopilot engaged.

Advertisement