Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

Will Ryan be suitably dressed for his promenade along the pier today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Less than 5 mins in - Hamilton and Trump. This could have been a show from any time in the last few years.

Surely you are a Joycean scholar, Ryan!

Confidant of a FULL AUDIENCE in September for LLS. :rolleyes:

We were already told that audience would be fully front line workers. We were also gauranteed foreign holidays in Q1 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Gorgeous school?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

What's with these school visits? I thought he was a full time broadcaster? Who's inviting him and why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Who really cares if there is an audience or not at the LLS in September?

The show is rubbish, and an audience ain't going to save it.

Ryan needs to realise people's lives don't revolve around the LLS or the Toy Show. Just because his does.

bobbyss wrote: »
    What's with these school visits? I thought he was a full time broadcaster? Who's inviting him and why?

He invited himself to the first one I recall.

Why is everything so obvious for this chap?

• Advertisement

Obviously obviously obviously!

Someone kill me!

NIMAN wrote: »

Ryan needs to realise people's lives don't revolve around the LLS or the Toy Show. Just because his does.

The lack of audience is a huge deal for him it seems. Even though it doesn't make a huge difference to the audience it feels different for him from what he is used to. The fact that it's a very very very minor change for the viewers is not something that would come into his head in a million years, the viewers don't actually matter, it's all about the people involved in making the late late show and how they feel / get paid. Viewer experience clearly hasn't mattered for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

NIMAN wrote:

NIMAN wrote:

NIMAN wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Well actually i could. I rarely if ever watch it. Full of emptiness and colleagues and all sorts of nothing. There is a sense of self importance about him and it. Constantly harping on about it. Who gives a shiit?

Maybe he wants an audience back so much coz he and the other staff get a taste of all the free items used in promos for the audience....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

A few home truths posted on the thread this morning above.

He thinks the LL with himself at the helm and the Toy show are the best things since sliced bread.

He's been mentioning 'Hamilton' a lot this past while, he must be considering it as a theme for the LLTS with himself centre stage.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    The lack of audience is a huge deal for him it seems. Even though it doesn't make a huge difference to the audience it feels different for him from what he is used to. The fact that it's a very very very minor change for the viewers is not something that would come into his head in a million years, the viewers don't actually matter, it's all about the people involved in making the late late show and how they feel / get paid. Viewer experience clearly hasn't mattered for a long long time.

Nailed it

Maybe he wants an audience back so much coz he and the other staff get a taste of all the free items used in promos for the audience....

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

walshb wrote: »
    Obviously obviously obviously!

Someone kill me!

Ssssssssteady:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

This going around to schools thing is weird. His obsession with schools and his school days is weirder.

This going around to schools thing is weird. His obsession with schools and his school days is weirder.

He seems to have created this persona of a man who is so interested in schooling and kids, because you know, books. He likes books too, in case you haven't heard him mention it. Same as some kids who read. And you know, kids would be better off if they put down the phone or tablet and read a book.

And our Ryan is leading the campaign.

• Advertisement

What about the popcorn?

And the Coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

And the Coke?

Gerry Ryan , if you're with us in the room,give us a signal ;)

Sounds like someone is angling for a free pair of aviators.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He seems to have created this persona of a man who is so interested in schooling and kids, because you know, books. He likes books too, in case you haven't heard him mention it. Same as some kids who read. And you know, kids would be better off if they put down the phone or tablet and read a book.

And our Ryan is leading the campaign.

The school visits:

1. Help him build brand Toyman.
    2. Makes it seem like he does something resembling work after 10am.
    3. Is a handy, ego-booster of a gig where he can swan in and have a fuss made about him. Nobody will ask any difficult questions. Just show up and tell kids to read. They're happy cos they saw the fella off the tele and he feels great about himself and has something to waffle about the next morning.

Jez, he really sounds like he is dialling it in this morning.

Sounds very sleepy. Severe lack of enthusiasm.

90% of Ryan's life is what most people do on their days off. He must have the constitution of a mouse as he was making out he was on the verge of a breakdown from overwork two weeks ago.

This programme quality is like something you'd expect from a guy transmitting a radio station from his mum's bedroom.

Just basically chatting to himself about nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Jez, he really sounds like he is dialling it in this morning.

Sounds very sleepy. Severe lack of enthusiasm.

He didn't get enough time to recharge the batteries it seems.

"why do I bother?" Ryan says.

You dont bother, Ryan. Ever.

He is genuinely bothered by people not liking his "recomendation".

• Advertisement

So Kellie Harrington is one of his most favourite people ever.

I can guarantee he has never seen one of her fights.

I'm out, this is tedious stuff.

This is turning into liveline with the gross amount of time dedicated to the host's pet topics. I can't even imagine how the conversation goes after the broadcast ends. Plenty of sucking up and looking for invites and freebies I would bet good money on. A few dozen people max in Ireland care about Hamilton but sure **** the audience like, Ryan likes it so that's all that matters really. I suppose we should be grateful it isn't the mother of a child that died on Christmas day or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This is weird

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I'm sitting here listening to this show, for the first time in my life. I have absolutely no time for this man, on TV. So I thought, maybe he's simply better suited to radio. Well, in my opinion, he's simply not suited to broadcasting at all. I've struggled to get the gist of anything he's talking about (granted I'm only listening with one ear, so to speak, and reading the paper at the same time).

I'm tempted to actually do a transcript of it, just to see in black and white the broken speech which suggests no preparation for his presentation, which leads to hesitation and changes mid sentence.

On the other hand, I won't be listening again, so why bother. I really believe that almost anyone could walk in off the street and do as 'good' a job, and probably many would be far better.

The news just came on as I'm typing, and I can follow what's happening, even while writing this post.

Back to Newstalk for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Got a warning for comparing this guy to a broadcaster from the UK who also has a fascination with death and visiting schools and hospitals
    But other posters can basically say what they want
    I didn’t say he was a peado, he is sick in the head

• Advertisement

I'm sitting here listening to this show, for the first time in my life. I have absolutely no time for this man, on TV. So I thought, maybe he's simply better suited to radio. Well, in my opinion, he's simply not suited to broadcasting at all. I've struggled to get the gist of anything he's talking about (granted I'm only listening with one ear, so to speak, and reading the paper at the same time).

I'm tempted to actually do a transcript of it, just to see in black and white the broken speech which suggests no preparation for his presentation, which leads to hesitation and changes mid sentence.

On the other hand, I won't be listening again, so why bother. I really believe that almost anyone could walk in off the street and do as 'good' a job, and probably many would be far better.

The news just came on as I'm typing, and I can follow what's happening, even while writing this post.

Back to Newstalk for me.

Today when I lost the will to go on, I switched over to Newstalk to take in the PK show, and it was a refreshing change.

It was nice to hear a host who was articulate, intelligent and who asked good questions. It was night and day between his show and the hospital radio quality host on RTE getting 500k per year for his talent.

Got a warning for comparing this guy to a broadcaster from the UK who also has a fascination with death and visiting schools and hospitals
    But other posters can basically say what they want
    I didn’t say he was a peado, he is sick in the head

‘Ows about that then’

‘Ows about that then’

:D :eek:

"A lot of people are thinking about Arlene Foster this morning" lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Toy Show ticket mention inside 20 seconds. Puke.

• Advertisement

amlinopta wrote: »
    Toy Show ticket mention inside 20 seconds. Puke.

Not sure what his point was? It's too early to talk about the toyshow? But he has already mentioned it every month this year himself. I think he was trolling us.

Clearly has no idea what happened in the Denmark - Finland match. Actually embarrassed for him.

Yeah he laughed and mentioned June, as if its too early to talk about it.
    He is trolling us for sure.

Clearly has no idea what happened in the Denmark - Finland match. Actually embarrassed for him.

Was too busy watching Kellie Harrington fights.;)

He must have some auto search feature for ,"death" set up on his browser to scrape the Internet for "death" and "sad memory" every morning. Why not just talk about funny things on Google Street View like a normal person and not images from beyond the grave like so demented ghoul.

Here we go now. Usually Fergal Darcy territory but we are heading for "memories of sweets from your childhood" territory

Back when we were all messers at school.

Has the long miserable letter from various victims segembt been dropped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Back when we were all messers at school.

I'd say he was the teacher's pet. Couldn't see him leaving a bogie on the teacher's chair for a laugh....the kinda thing messers do on a quiet day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Dead people on Google street view.

I've heard it all now

Bit of Macca for a change

• Advertisement
Advertisement