Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

The people at home who can't see the audience don't care if its there or not Ryan. Only you care about that. After the guts of a year a well paid professional like yourself should have adapted to no audience by now. There is the same tense, morgue like atmosphere in every interview you attempt regardless of audience or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Toy Show, Toy Show, Toy Show. Sure it's only 6 months til Christmas. Intriguing.
    THAT.

When Ryan says "all because of you" to the audience whT I think he means is "all because of me"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Beacon of light and kindness.

His car is now a metaphor for the pandemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Oh please SHUT UP about 'just a little more push' covid crap sermon.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

We were gauranteed to go on foreign holidays in Q1 so not sure why the expert Ryan isn't continuing to make his proclamations.

I'd say Daithi intimidates Ryan no end. Daithi is everything Ryan wants to be in terms of broadcasting.

Just shows those Range Rovers or whatever he has, can be crap.

• Advertisement

It was an Austin Maxi, Ryan, not a Mini.

You are mistaken Ryan it wasn't a mini in faulty towers. Pure chancer. If someone texts in to say it was an Austin he would mock them with the weird voice he puts on. This is a guy who claims to be anti bullying.

Lol the voice wasn't done but it does bother him to be corrected. Thin skin. Get off the text machine Ryan it's full of rotters and meanies.

Cark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

"You should all be walking tall and holding your heads high this morning". He forgot to add "and that's not patronising".

Also: mentions a study saying a low stress lifestyle counteracts grey hair. Then boasts about not having any grey hair. He is living proof of that research anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Did he just do nearly a whole show on the Toy Show!

Elmo wrote: »

I didn't wait around long enough to find out.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I didn't wait around long enough to find out.

Don't worry might mention it again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Elmo wrote: »

we're 6 months out let the Countdown begin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Just to clear up the car id.

The car Basil Fawlty "thrashed" was an Austin 1100 Countryman which was an estate car version of the 1100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Correct.

He had a Maxi, or at least the wife did, in the second season.

elperello wrote: »
    Just to clear up the car id.

The car Basil Fawlty "thrashed" was an Austin 1100 Countryman which was an estate car version of the 1100.

Pic

Pic

That's it, easily mistaken for a Mini if you aren't a car anorak like me :)

Pic

Also available as a toy model from your local hobby store - made by Oxford Miniatures.

That's it, easily mistaken for a Mini if you aren't a car anorak like me :)

I was chatting with an old English man on holidays and that’s the type of manufacturing he sees Britain returning to after brexit :)

I was chatting with an old English man on holidays and that’s the type of manufacturing he sees Britain returning to after brexit :)

Wishful thinking I'd say.

More likely importing from India and China.

Pity they lost their car industry really. The Mini, ADO 16 and Maxi were good cars but then it all went wrong.

• Advertisement

Some, or most of, the best cars in the world came out of England.

From the Mini to the RR and many in between. Pity about the rust and the industrial relations. They did the best with what they had at the time.

Very soon I'm hoping to see the unveiling of a MKII Jag that has been restored after 10 years, many of them in England. Other than the owner I'll be the first person to drive it as I was the only one who kept asking, "How's the Jag coming along?" long after everyone else had stopped.

Don't pretend you watched a "gruesome and macabre" documentary because of the compelling style the director uses Ryan. We all know you are into gruesome stories of personal loss and actively enjoy them.

Self proclaimed fan of films and also the best paid media broadcaster in the nation has absolutely no idea about the latest release in one of the top grossing series of all time and biggest post pandemic release. He also has not gotten a blind bit of interest in sport or made any type of effort to learn about it and his "interest" in American politics only goes as far Trump. Pure phoney. The man's a fake.

Just turned on the radio

Death.

Time for Pat Kenny.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Don't pretend you watched a "gruesome and macabre" documentary because of the compelling style the director uses Ryan. We all know you are into gruesome stories of personal loss and actively enjoy them.

Self proclaimed fan of films and also the best paid media broadcaster in the nation has absolutely no idea about the latest release in one of the top grossing series of all time and biggest post pandemic release. He also has not gotten a blind bit of interest in sport or made any type of effort to learn about it and his "interest" in American politics only goes as far Trump. Pure phoney. The man's a fake.

what movie?

what movie?

F9.

• Advertisement

F9.

i'd give him a pass on that one

but i take it he hasn't mentioned "in the earth" either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

To be fair there is a lot riding on F9 being a success. Flopping would be bad news for theaters

I don't mean it as in he should like those movies, or even be interested in them, everyone is entitled to their own tastes. I think in a more over arching sense to at least be aware of it as it is the biggest post pandemic blockbuster release and also as a professional broadcaster some awareness of what it happening in the world outside of Hamilton or Trump.
    I think it would could be useful when interviewing people who aren't terminally ill if the host has some vague awareness of what if going on in the mainstream world in terms of sport and entertainment. It would make the host seem more like a normal person and may allow a raport to develop and alleviate any sense of sheer terror and panic that occurs if the guest beings to stray from topics that haven't been written on a cue card beforehand.

To be fair there is a lot riding on F9 being a success. Flopping would be bad news for theaters

More like FO, rather than F9 IMO :D

Cinemas are on quarter capacity

I don't mean it as in he should like those movies, or even be interested in them, everyone is entitled to their own tastes. I think in a more over arching sense to at least be aware of it as it is the biggest post pandemic blockbuster release and also as a professional broadcaster some awareness of what it happening in the world outside of Hamilton or Trump.
    I think it would could be useful when interviewing people who aren't terminally ill if the host has some vague awareness of what if going on in the mainstream world in terms of sport and entertainment. It would make the host seem more like a normal person and may allow a raport to develop and alleviate any sense of sheer terror and panic that occurs if the guest beings to stray from topics that haven't been written on a cue card beforehand.

Absolutely, there is one thing not knowing much about Tik Tok, the Kardashians, F9, or Minecraft/Robolex.
    But there are all part of the cultural zeigiest. To feign no knowledge of them is just ignorance.

He reminds me of Peter Capaldi in Peep Show. Pretending he has never heard of Four Weddings and. A Funeral.

https://youtu.be/yO3Gcb6Nyw4

More like FO, rather than F9 IMO :D

Wait, is the new one the 10th film. Jesus.

Absolutely, there is one thing not knowing much about Tik Tok, the Kardashians, F9, or Minecraft/Robolex.
    But there are all part of the cultural zeigiest. To feign no knowledge of them is just ignorance.

He reminds me of Peter Capaldi in Peep Show. Pretending he has never heard of Four Weddings and. A Funeral.

https://youtu.be/yO3Gcb6Nyw4

Is it that you consider it wrong to feign having no knowledge of those things but it is ok to have no knowledge?

Is it that you consider it wrong to feign having no knowledge of those things but it is ok to have no knowledge?

Its a little bit of both. We pick up a lot of pop culture through osmosis. I've never watched Game Of Thrones or a Fast and Furious film. I've never watched anything with the Kardashians .But I know about them. And have a rudimentary understanding of them.

I think Ryan like Capaldi in the clip is feigning ignorance.

If he had any of the cast in the late late. He would be falling over himself telling them how much he loves the FF movies.

Edit: Sorry I got my first Covid vaccine shot today and I am a little discombobulated.

Its a little bit of both. We pick up a lot of pop culture through osmosis. I've never watched Game Of Thrones or a Fast and Furious film. But I know about them. And have a rudimentary understanding of them.

I think Ryan like Capaldi in the clip is feigning ignorance.

"I can't watch Line of Duty, it's on during reading time."

Yes I agree that we pick stuff up by osmosis but I have only a rudimentary knowledge of one of the four examples you gave.

I know that Robert Kardashian was OJ Simpson's lawyer and his family had some sort of TV show.

I think that in these days of information overload people chose to ignore things as a kind of strategy to preserve head space for the things they are interested in.

I wouldn't regard that as ignorance but more as a legitimate personal choice.

Of course a feigned or affected lack of knowledge is a different matter.

edit- just saw your edit. Chill and take it easy if you can.

• Advertisement

The minute the Ross O'Carroll Kelly guy mentioned his dead brother, Tubridy was all over it like a rash.

He's one sick individual.

Julian Clary was on TLLS a few years back, introduced as a comedian, and had been a guest of both Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny AFAIK. Audience expect it to be light. intro done, Julian mentions the carpet, a bit of a laugh, Tubs "So tell about that time you lost your partner" or something like that, audience titters. Julian holds his hands out, as if to say this isn't going to be a funny story. The rest of the interview as depression all round. I always wonder how guests feel after bad interviews.

He must have developed a reputation on the "circuit" at this stage.

I remember Jimmy Carr ripping the piss out of PK years ago for kind of the same thing-but this lad has taken it to a whole other level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say not only is he trying to create the persona of "The Toyman", but he's probably angling for the "Agony Uncle" of the country too.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say not only is he trying to create the persona of "The Toyman", but he's probably angling for the "Agony Uncle" of the country too.

whatever he's trying it's not working in the bigger sense, but in terms of listeners for some reason it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

RTE Government broadcast is back with a bang.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

"Read the book that makes you happy". Goes on to criticise someone's choice of book and calls it pretentious...

The guy from it's a sin has 'an odd little head on him'.

NIMAN wrote: »

He enjoys agony alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Please, make it stop!!!

Advertisement