Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Praising a book that "takes down social media" - moments later reading from social media posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Here we go , left of field music

Edit

It’s don’t cry for me Argentina not my bloody Valentine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Praising a book that "takes down social media" - moments later reading from social media posts.

He's unreal! He was very quick to catch himself there and backtrack after calling a book 'utter rubbish'!

Is this a sponsored ad for sinead o connors book?

Can't take this any more. Those that manage to stay on get ready for more Hamilton chat for the next 5 or 6 months. This guy gets the captive audience alright but his persona is incredibly transparent, fake and hypocritical. A poor broadcaster at best.

• Advertisement

I was expecting the butthole surfers

Biden has removed so much news from the world that tubs needs to resorts to trunp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Toy Show, Books, Trump, Cancer and Kindness, looks like the full house this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I've stopped listening to tubridy, but what does he go on about when talking about the toy show most days? its like 5 months away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bmorrissey wrote: »
    I've stopped listening to tubridy, but what does he go on about when talking about the toy show most days? its like 5 months away?

I've joined you too.
    Have given up on him, couldn't listen to the same stuff every single day.

I will tune in the odd day to hear if he has changed the record, but I don't have expectations. His audience seems to be happy with the same 5 subjects every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭amlinopta

bmorrissey wrote: »
    He shoehorns in a reference most days, maybe a reference back to last year's, mention of plans for this year, or a call out for some of his young friends from the show by name. In today's case, he had visited Nimble Fingers in Stillorgan yesterday, the place where the Toy Show really began all those years ago, or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Biden has removed so much news from the world that tubs needs to resorts to trunp

Biden can bomb away like he did yesterday on the borders of Syria and Iraq and not a bit of notice will be taken by our "media" and the likes of Tubbs.. Oh look over there Trump bad bad man

I just heard the latest promo for his radio show....and guess what it features?

Yip, death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

phonypony wrote: »
    "Read the book that makes you happy". Goes on to criticise someone's choice of book and calls it pretentious...

The irony of this was gas. He was criticizing someone else for being a book snob while looking down on the same person's choice of reading.

The book he disliked was more intellectual that his own fodder so he assumes that the reader is purely trying to present themselves as an intellectual and isn't really getting any enjoyment from the book. He nearly gave away who that person was, and I'm sure the person will recognise themselves if they hear him.

I would guess that seeing someone else reading something that is challenging and requires a proper attention span made him feel like an inferior class of bookworm, hence his disapproval.

Then, as you say, he contradicts himself a few minutes later by stating that people should read whatever they like without feeling the need to live up to others' expectations.

Like so much of what he says, it just doesn't add up and he ends up tripping up over his own waffle when his real self is revealed. Same with the social media comments, as PieOhMy said, and the same with the calls for privacy while also promoting the shít out of tabloids.

So much of what he says is just trying to play up to some image or other. IMO that is what makes him so unlikable - his total lack of authenticity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

That, and the stark reality that manipulating interviews and programme content in order to extract as much misery as possible is neither GORGEOUS, DELICIOUS, or KIND.

I think so much of our Ryan is fake, including his persona he has created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

That's some walkabout he was on. Meeting his subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    That's some walkabout he was on. Meeting his subjects.

You've all done very well.

Thank you Mr Grace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

New Dublin Attraction:

A Shill's Walking Tour of Dublin with Bryan Tubridy

€35.00 a head.

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's been wall to wall Covid on MI.
    Could he not give us a break for an hour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭1992ChainGang

Are these real people texting in? Saying they're OK with keeping shut if they're saving lives?

At this stage now, after the worlds longest lockdown and the vast majority of the vulnerable vaccinated, any business owner agreeing with the continuation of their closure must be insane (or not a real person texting in?)

in Italy been drunk in public is social suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

I got slated for comparing King Tubs with Sir Jimmy Saville a few weeks back

I got slated for comparing King Tubs with Sir Jimmy Saville a few weeks back

Rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Rightly so

I was comparing his and Savilles obsession with visiting schools, hospitals, and hospices and his love of death

I was comparing his and Savilles obsession with visiting schools, hospitals, and hospices and his love of death

ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Are these real people texting in? Saying they're OK with keeping shut if they're saving lives?

At this stage now, after the worlds longest lockdown and the vast majority of the vulnerable vaccinated, any business owner agreeing with the continuation of their closure must be insane (or not a real person texting in?)

Yep, my friend, they are real.

Think a little please, I know it’s tough on the businesses, but it would be even tougher if the Covid rose up again and overwhelmed the hospitals.

Here’s the thing …. The reason that Communions and Confirmations being ‘banned’ is not the ceremony but the ‘party’ afterwards where Pat will gannet down copious pints and ignore social distancing, masks, contact, and end up in a ‘sing-song back in the gaff.

We need to remember that………a chara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Think a little please, I know it’s tough on the businesses, but it would be even tougher if the Covid rose up again and overwhelmed the hospitals.

Here’s the thing …. The reason that Communions and Confirmations being ‘banned’ is not the ceremony but the ‘party’ afterwards where Pat will gannet down copious pints and ignore social distancing, masks, contact, and end up in a ‘sing-song back in the gaff.

Here's the thing .... are there no other points of view ?

And have we not made sure that the hospitals won't be overwhelmed? I mean we've had a year and a half.

Many talking about pubs re-opening and the like not much talk about the return of normal hospital services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

If this was the concern of the Government then all children's/adults birthday parties etc. would be cancelled as well.
    They are just enjoying using their power cancelling these ceremonies and they know there will be little backlash as everyone likes to give the Catholic church a good kicking.

• Advertisement

Possibly someone who knows their business has gone to the wall because of lockdown, and doesn't want to face reopening/ creditors. There is a bit of that around. Especially in the restaurant trade, where margins were already ridiculously tight pre-Covid.

Firms lose most of those artificial supports when they reopen, so you can figure out why a minority are against it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Icsics

These 2 find themselves absolutely hilarious, very off putting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bossdrum wrote: »
    If this was the concern of the Government then all children's/adults birthday parties etc. would be cancelled as well.
    They are just enjoying using their power cancelling these ceremonies and they know there will be little backlash as everyone likes to give the Catholic church a good kicking.

If you seriously believe that, you have issues

On the death of Donald Rumsfeld:

"They don't say what he died of.... but he's very much dead"

A real class act, he seems to feel aggrieved that he wasn't informed if the reasons a man died. What a ghoul.

Horsing into the speed this morning :)

This is amateur radio. Pretending to be in fits of giggles. Is this ment to be light hearted to make up for the regular dredging the pits of human misery?

A sport Tubridy finally watched - Wimbledon! I have a feeling an email was sent to the organisers from the Ryan@rte.ie email address looking for free tickets. Wimbledon, the boat race and ascot would be sporting events I feel like the Toyman would like to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Anyone doing a 'Hamilton' mention count ?

This is amateur radio. Pretending to be in fits of giggles. Is this ment to be light hearted to make up for the regular dredging the pits of human misery?

A sport Tubridy finally watched - Wimbledon! I have a feeling an email was sent to the organisers from the Ryan@rte.ie email address looking for free tickets. Wimbledon, the boat race and ascot would be sporting events I feel like the Toyman would like to attend.

Between Hamilton , Rumsfeld, Wimbledon, euros, reading and pottering about on the Vespa I’ve no idea where he gets time to relax :)

I went to a mystery movie in the cinema the other night and had no idea what it was going to be , but had decided beforehand that the only movie that would cause me to walkout would be in the heights :)

As it turned out it was “one more round” and it was delightful

Between Hamilton , Rumsfeld, Wimbledon, euros, reading and pottering about on the Vespa I’ve no idea where he gets time to relax :)

He must power nap between all the trips to the pub that have been mentioned and books that are "read", tv shows and movies that are "watched", schools, museums and bookshops that are visited. This man is carrying more work on his shoulders than anyone else in the state. Don't forget going out for lunch too! Petition for a statue of the Toyman outside rte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

This girl is really grating on the ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

"Yes, quite the story"

Even Tubridy bored by this crap

80 hours a week doing a bit of sewing, could she not just outsource to a factory in China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

She's only in the states 6 years and she sounds like she's born and bred there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Guest "We would sit and draw and colour as children"
    Tubs "Wow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

limnam wrote: »

My guess is she sounded like that before she packed her suitcase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

limnam wrote: »

To be fair, half the young ones in Ireland have that accent now and more than likely they've spent just a few days shopping in NY and/or are immersed in US streaming & social media.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Even Tubridy bored by this crap

Nobody in Gods name would find her halfway interesting. She's the ultimate crap guest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Ha ha. He's raging that she wouldn't go into detail about the accident.

Is that a free muppet that was sent to Ryan? I didn't hear

• Advertisement
Advertisement