Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

avfc1874 wrote: »
    Ha ha. He's raging that she wouldn't go into detail about the accident.

We all are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,134 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Is tubs getting ideas for content from his offspring?

Has anyone seen th Muppets or Sesame Street on terrestrial television in the last 20 years ?

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DaTown

Maybe it wasn't Covid related

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Just a bit of a laugh and a slobbering slurp sound to sign off with. Good stuff Ryan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

dvcireland wrote: »
    Is tubs getting ideas for content from his offspring?

Has anyone seen th Muppets or Sesame Street on terrestrial television in the last 20 years ?

The Muppets was on TG4 in the early 2000s.

Elmo got himself a spinoff show which also aired on TG4 around the same time.

Not sure about Sesame Street. I think RTÉ2 might have dropped it in 2000 and had only really had it on and off prior to that.

A number of the Muppet films around Christmas time also.

But when I get back to the office I will talk to Kermit :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Is that a free muppet that was sent to Ryan? I didn't hear

Yep. The other day he asked people to buy him a 60 grand original muppet that is being auctioned. He said it was too expensive to buy (about six weeks wages for him - cant be havin to pay that like!)

It was a weird little joke that referred to his love of free stuff. Some artistic kid heard it and sent him in a handmade muppet toy, which Tubridy is chuffed with.

The only thing is he forgot to say his trademark freebie line, so I'll say it for him:

It's one of the privileges of the job!:cool:

Yep. The other day he asked people to buy him a 60 grand original muppet that is being auctioned. He said it was too expensive to buy (about six weeks wages for him - cant be havin to pay that like!)

It was a weird little joke that referred to his love of free stuff. Some artistic kid heard it and sent him in a handmade muppet toy, which Tubridy is chuffed with.

The only thing is he forgot to say his trademark freebie line, so I'll say it for him:

It's one of the privileges of the job!:cool:

Aw that's really nice. The deserving charity to which that freebie is passed on to will no doubt make some deserving child very happy. We truly are seeing kindness at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

He must power nap between all the trips to the pub that have been mentioned and books that are "read", tv shows and movies that are "watched", schools, museums and bookshops that are visited. This man is carrying more work on his shoulders than anyone else in the state. Don't forget going out for lunch too! Petition for a statue of the Toyman outside rte?

....and the stroll along the Pier with the kiddies giving chase crying out 'Mommy Mommy it's the Toyman' and 'Toyman Toyman you're the best'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I found today's freebie of the day particularly ironic.

• Advertisement

Trolls are bullys. I think Ryan Tubridy is also a bully. Just two days ago he said an actor "has an odd little head on him". Bullying behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Tenacious D are an absolute disgrace
    But even though they f*cked up a beautiful Beatles song your man said its a bit of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Tenacious D are an absolute disgrace
    But even though they f*cked up a beautiful Beatles song your man said its a bit of fun

I agree with him on that, a comedy band doing a cover of a song is only gonna be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Back to the muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

limnam wrote: »
    Back to the muppets.

......with your host Mr. Guy Smiley !!

limnam wrote: »
    Back to the muppets.

All muppets dislike any association with human muppets and their muppettry

Ye can all mup off

• Advertisement

He must power nap between all the trips to the pub that have been mentioned and books that are "read", tv shows and movies that are "watched", schools, museums and bookshops that are visited. This man is carrying more work on his shoulders than anyone else in the state. Don't forget going out for lunch too! Petition for a statue of the Toyman outside rte?
    He's basically gentry, a man of leisure -- fishing, reading books, amusing himself with the affairs of the locals, and offering advice on their conduct.
    I don't begrudge it from him, we would all take his job; I certainly wouldn't have him on the radio any longer than is strictly necessary, though.

His listeners, in his defence, are tuning-in in ever-greater numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

He's basically gentry, a man of leisure -- fishing, reading books, amusing himself with the affairs of the locals, and offering advice on their conduct.
    I don't begrudge it from him, we would all take his job; I certainly wouldn't have him on the radio any longer than is strictly necessary, though.

His listeners, in his defence, are tuning-in in ever-greater numbers.

in the olden days he would be the local vicar, boring the local people with his endless sermons

goose2005 wrote: »
    in the olden days he would be the local vicar, boring the local people with his endless sermons

Or maybe Bertie Wooster?

Or maybe Bertie Wooster?

At least Bertie could be talking to Gussie Fink-Nottle about newts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Or maybe Bertie Wooster?

Bertie wouldn't be one for giving sermons. He was no angel.

Pop the suitcases into the old Wooster 2 seater and zoom down the country to annoy some young one for two weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Lads if tubs was gentry he’d be hauled in by the kings forces and would spill the beans on all the local rebel activities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lads if tubs was gentry he’d be hauled in by the kings forces and would spill the beans on all the local rebel activities

Based on his family background you have him all wrong.

His grandfather played a prominent role in the IRA.

War of Independence, Civil War, imprisonment, hunger strike etc.

elperello wrote: »
    Based on his family background you have him all wrong. His grandfather played a prominent role in the IRA. War of Independence, Civil War, imprisonment, hunger strike etc.

Todd the former chair of the RTÉ Authority?

Just because your grandfather was a patriot doesn't mean that you don't like the status quo.

Tubs is more FG than he was ever FF.

A lot of those fellows who started out in green military caps ended up in top-hats and tails, quite literally.

Anyway the gentry thing was only a light-hearted remark, it doesn't exist anymore. On a more serious point, I wouldn't ascribe anything to a person based on how their Grandad felt about the Treaty.

You’re saying Ryan wouldn’t crack under pressure of an imperial regime ? They were particularly brutal you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Hasn't Ryan repeatedly brought up meeting the queen and his past links to Megan Markle.

Mad for royalty so is our Ryan.

Have heard parts of dave fannings weekend show the last few weekends while driving around. I didn't really like or dislike fanning before but I have to say it's very easy listening. Dave and some other contributer on going through some of the weeks stories and quirky events like normal people, some interesting little stories that have clearly been preped beforehand and flow nicely and two people discussing them in a normal, fast paced, light hearted manner. It's everything Tubridy show wants to be but isn't. A production team / host who are willing to put forth more than the absolute bare bare bare bare minimum and a host who is able to communicate and build a rapport with normal people and doesn't ooze tension from every pore.

Hasn't Ryan repeatedly brought up meeting the queen and his past links to Megan Markle.

Mad for royalty so is our Ryan.

I think we can all agree that if we are reflecting on historical sides Ryan would be on that he would be Vichy France through and through?

2nd or 3rd story about Prince Charles and the next story Ryan reveals that he watched the England match on Saturday, a man who famously doesn't enjoy or watch any sport, apart from his very favourite boxer Kellie Harrington. And oh ya the next story about his enjoyment of Wimbledon and the English player who has gotten through to the fourth round.

Have heard parts of dave fannings weekend show the last few weekends while driving around. I didn't really like or dislike fanning before but I have to say it's very easy listening. Dave and some other contributer on going through some of the weeks stories and quirky events like normal people, some interesting little stories that have clearly been preped beforehand and flow nicely and two people discussing them in a normal, fast paced, light hearted manner. It's everything Tubridy show wants to be but isn't. A production team / host who are willing to put forth more than the absolute bare bare bare bare minimum and a host who is able to communicate and build a rapport with normal people and doesn't ooze tension from every pore.

If tubs had 10 mins of fannings show daily he’d have a much better show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah yeah.....yeaaaah.

Yeah.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yeah yeah.....yeaaaah.

Yeah.

Lol Tubridy laughing there. This guest is making him work for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Lol Tubridy laughing there. This guest is making him work for it!

Yeah.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17 johnsae2231

If he was alive at the time he would have been like most of the wealthy and middle classes condemned the IRA.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Yeah.....

Credit where its due that guest was hard work and they had to contend with a classic rte bad line in the middle of it, handled well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Little debate about the actual show again today.

Sad to say, but it looks like Ryan has turned most of the listeners here off his show, and this thread will probably fade away naturally.
    Given its one of RTE 1's flagship shows, not good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭fiachraX

Nobody noticed that Ryan's from the UK now?

It was in the first 5-6 mins, when he was going through the papers and specifically the story about the Welsh guy who set up a JustGiving page for the German girl who cried when England beat them.
    In Ryan's account, setting it up showed "that not everyone from the UK is horrible and that we care".

NIMAN wrote: »
    Little debate about the actual show again today.

Sad to say, but it looks like Ryan has turned most of the listeners here off his show, and this thread will probably fade away naturally.
    Given its one of RTE 1's flagship shows, not good to see.

Generally little enough to debate in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Generally little enough to debate in fairness

I guess when the presenter is being criticised on the basis of what he might have done 100 or 80 years ago if he was alive we are indeed rapidly running out of road :).

• Advertisement

I guess when the presenter is being criticised on the basis of what he might have done 100 or 80 years ago if he was alive we are indeed rapidly running out of road :).

1798 :)

There was an article shared around today about a woman who helped develop the systems that got an Apollo mission home and had to leave to go to hospital and give birth to jack black whilst remaining in contact with the mission from her bed and played a huge role ....

Late late interview
    Ryan : “ so your parents are rocket scientists”

Jack black: “huh? No I wouldn’t say rocket scientists

Ryan: next question on the card :)

Could have been great , probably not his fault , probably researched by an intern on wiki

I suppose he'd be a good hunger striker :eek:

Also you did bring up his family's connection to the war of independence.

July 2021 - "I'm not an expert or a scientist but it all seems a bit hasty" (re England's plans to wind down covid restrictions.

December 2020: I guarantee you will be going on holidays abroad in the first quarter of next year. (To a caller who said she missed going on holdiay)

i'm away training today so missed todays hot topics

July 2021 - "I'm not an expert or a scientist but it all seems a bit hasty" (re England's plans to wind down covid restrictions.

December 2020: I guarantee you will be going on holidays abroad in the first quarter of next year. (To a caller who said she missed going on holdiay)

Are you accusing Tubridy of not predicting a major global pandemic?

• Advertisement

No

I think 100 years ago he would do well as a hunger striker, and a hundred years on .... oh looking see I know I say it before .... but perhaps your in with a chance to win... who now .... (feigning distraction) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

'We're open for business' he said today as he says often. This is said after his lazy ramblings for a quarter of an hour or more.
    As if what is coming up is going to be of great importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We're open for a bit more waffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bobbyss wrote: »
    'We're open for business' he said today as he says often. This is said after his lazy ramblings for a quarter of an hour or more.
    As if what is coming up is going to be of great importance.

The misery slot is next

• Advertisement
Advertisement