Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Are you accusing Tubridy of not predicting a major global pandemic?

In December 2020 Sars-Cov-2 was nearly a year old.

Tubridy's ramblings were and are unhelpful, misleading, and ill informed, in my considered albeit layman's opinion.

But that's not even the most objectionable thing about him, it's the fact that he can pronounce the pandemic over, be proven wrong, and never speak of it again, but the considered and expert advisors in the UK are written off as a bunch of messers for doing the same based on the evidence available to them.

Nine months later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rte as a whole need to stfu about Covid , they’re acting like an auntie or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Elmo wrote: »
    I suppose he'd be a good hunger striker :eek:

Also you did bring up his family's connection to the war of independence.

In fairness I was responding to another post.

Those who put their lives on the line to gain our freedom deserve to be remembered.

The old people used to say "an ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding".

In December 2020 Sars-Cov-2 was nearly a year old.
    My apologies to PieOhMy for that brain-fart; I somehow read that as December '19.

elperello wrote: »

Yeah, old people are always saying daft shit, I noticed that too.

In all seriousness, there is something absolutely bonkers™ about the descendants of the freedom fighters for a republic claiming some kind of ancestral authority. We saw that a lot with with the Moore Street preservation debacle, and other issues in the beginning of the Decade of Commemorations.

Observations on breeding should be restricted to horses and cattle. Society is more civilised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

In all seriousness, there is something absolutely bonkers™ about the descendants of the freedom fighters for a republic claiming some kind of ancestral authority. We saw that a lot with with the Moore Street preservation debacle, and other issues in the beginning of the Decade of Commemorations.

Observations on breeding should be restricted to horses and cattle. Society is more civilised.

Uhmmm………

Uhmmm………
    What have I said wrong this time, Brendan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Are you accusing Tubridy of not predicting a major global pandemic?

No he is accusing him of repeatedly telling people that the whole thing will blow over in a few month.

First it was September, then Xmas, then Spring, then summer. I understand he isn't a psychic or have any real understanding of how pandemics work. But his pronounments keep giving false hope.

The whole "Don't worry kids, COVID won't effect Christmas." was probably the most tone deaf.

I wouldn't fancy trying to explain to the kids that Santa is on the PUP after that.

Edit: Sorry I have just seen you corrected your self for mistaking the year in an earlier post.

I'm going to leave this here purely for completeness sake.

I might be mis remembering this. But wasn't there talk that Pearse wanted to install a monarch. I recall a number of names were touted at one point it was to be a minor royal from Lichenstien. And at another point Kaiser Wilhelm first son.

But who really knows.

I might be mis remembering this. But wasn't there talk that Pearse wanted to install a monarch. I recall a number of names were touted at one point it was to be a minor royal from Lichenstien. And at another point Kaiser Wilhelm first son.

But who really knows.

There were all sorts of odd views within the republican movement at that time. At its inception, Sinn Fein wanted a separate King of Ireland -- who would initially be the King of England, but wouldn't necessarily always be so. Kevin O'Higgins was advocating the same, even post-independence.

It's difficult to know how serious Pearse was about a German prince becoming King of a republic for which he was willing to die, because the whole claim is based on an anecdote by Garret FitzGerald's father, written after everyone else who heard the conversation had been executed. There is no other record of it in existence. I find it hard to believe FitzGerald.

Sorry for this tangent, but it's more interesting than talking about Tubs, which we should probably get back to at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In fairness I was responding to another post.

Those who put their lives on the line to gain our freedom deserve to be remembered.

But you were refuting their opinion that Tubs is pro-treaty or less of a republican in someway, you brought up his family to counter the posters argument.

Most of us can either calm a grand-parent or great-grand-parent who fought for Ireland around that time. It doesn't mean that their politics or world view is the same.

Elmo wrote: »
    But you were refuting their opinion that Tubs is pro-treaty or less of a republican in someway, you brought up his family to counter the posters argument.

Most of us can either calm a grand-parent or great-grand-parent who fought for Ireland around that time. It doesn't mean that their politics or world view is the same.

You are slightly mistaken in that the discussion was in the context of the War of Independence and whether RT would be an informer to Crown forces.

A huge insult to the memory of a man who risked his life in the fight for freedom to suggest his grandson would be capable of committing such a transgression.

The world view and politics may have changed over the decades but an understanding of history never dates.

You are slightly mistaken in that the discussion was in the context of the War of Independence and whether RT would be an informer to Crown forces.

A huge insult to the memory of a man who risked his life in the fight for freedom to suggest his grandson would be capable of committing such a transgression.

The world view and politics may have changed over the decades but an understanding of history never dates.

50% FACT CHECKED :pac:

In the vernacular of the FB huns, I'm "skitten".

:D

All the historiographers have just thrown down their pens :)

Perspectives on history can change, of course. As sickening as they may seem to us, in the next generations, events like the Omagh and Enniskillen bombings will eventually be viewed in light of the War of Independence. People will take a broader view of history than we do.

Obviously, perceptions of history can change over time.

All the historiographers have just thrown down their pens :)

Perspectives on history can change, of course. As sickening as they may seem to us, in the next generations, events like the Omagh and Enniskillen bombings will eventually be viewed in light of the War of Independence. People will take a broader view of history than we do.

Obviously, perceptions of history can change over time.

You are right but perception is different to understanding.

As time passes new information can come to light or new events may affect our perception of historic events.

This perception can enhance our understanding.

Many have a broad view of history but narrow understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just listening to the end of the replay programme. Who was the Sinead O'Connor wannabe?

…aaand we’re back.

(manically drums hands on desk).

• Advertisement

Yeah, toyshow now-he really is a one trick pony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You have to remember he is pinning his legacy on the Toy Show, that's how he wants every single person in the country to think of him.

And the reason he mentions it ad neuseam.

I see there were questions lodged with RTE about the Toy Show, and they refused to answer them.

They won't tell us how much it cost to put on.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rte-refused-over-half-of-all-foi-requests-made-last-year-40654536.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Along with his Toyman/Toyshow legacy he also likes to be known as the Bookman and this week....Historyman and his mini-tours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Did I hear RT say yesterday he's off after today till September (LLS time)?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Well that is a straight up lie "I have read about and studied Australia".

Really Ryan, when exactly was that?

Leaving cert Geography 30 years ago?

Such a waffler.

• Advertisement

The silly laughing is making me turn down the radio.

Off for a much earned rest until the autumn for a second recharge of the battery. Can turn up the radio again between 9 & 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ron29

Painful rubbish. He was doing the Elton John crap over a year ago. He really is a talentless one trick pony.

He's reminding us how drained of material he is before absconding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

He has clocked up around 30 hours work since he last took a couple of weeks off to "recharge the batteries".

Where does he buy his batteries, Dealz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Oliver Callan back next week, would RTE not take the hint and make Callan or someone else/ anyone else permanent in the slot. Let Tubs look after the serious matter of the LLS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

Out the gap again!!! He kept that one (relatively) quiet. No spread in the Mirror or RSVP online about how he's looking forward to time to reflect, and refresh and come back full of beans for the epic marathon into the Autumn.

....no wait, that was 4 weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Not sure about that. Callan is taking over. Such a depressing thought. All I can think of is him rambling on for twenty minutes at the start. It is just more of the same sameness. He might fall into a few impersonations. Such an uninspiring replacement. Is there no one else who could be asked to present? Someone new? Someone different? Is there any new talent out there at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

He has only been back for five weeks. He had two weeks off at the beginning of June.

You all don't see to understand Tubs has had a hard year, and he took a pay cut .... with extra holidays most likely... and only too right I hear you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Yep. He does maybe 10 hours of half-assed work per week during the summer, judging by the state of the radio show. So he has done around 50 hours work since his last holiday.

Most normal people would do that in about 7 working days and now he's off again (until September if I read correctly!??!). It's an insult.

Looking on the positive side.

At least Ollie is back for a while.

As long as he's not getting paid when he is off air, I couldn't care if he took permanent holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

I am sitting here in the heat hoping tubs ends up in a john Mclaine style die hard scenario in his west of ireland paradise

• Advertisement

i do understand when people say a lot more work goes into a show than the time on air, but man tubs doesn't even hide the fact he walks in and reads the interns q cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Tubridy having a panic attack all day at the thought of having to interview the rowers and the fact that they might say something not on the que cards. Better get practicing slapping the desk and pretending to laugh Ryan!

Baz in instead of Ollie who was in instead of Dr. Death.

He's some man to pontificate.

It was like listening to a sermon this morning. I felt as if he was talking down to me. Patronizing me. He mentioned his mother at one point.

Why do some presenters think listeners are remotely interested in their rants? Do they have pearls of wisdom to dispense? Should we take notes?

Dreadful stuff. I changed channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Must have been NKs greatest achievement to get that lad ‘into’ the RTE ‘family’.

Never sees the light of day in casa Brenner.

Ricky from Eastenders was on, but most of the interview was about his dead mother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Noel Kelly.....the most hated man in Ireland that people dont know to hate.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

OK Never heard of him.

RTE Radio 1, Turbridy, Callan and now Baz are so, so depressing to listen to. I rarely listen to them.

What is the brief of the program me anyway? The sense I have of it is that they simply want to pontificate in order to raise their own profile. And you know. Baz could get another series about whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Advertisement