Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

Disagree with last sentence. There'll be multiple glowing "reviews" in Saturday mornings indo, Irish Times, Irish examiner......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

....and tonight Matthew the Toyman will become the Ryan King.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

Oh god... don't go giving them ideas, it's not too late for them to incorporate that!

I must say I love toy show day! We're guaranteed an hour of mostly intelligent radio from Oliver Callan, in place of the usual black hole of drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Jonathan healy blowing smoke up tubs hole on news talk 😕

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The Ryan King was namechecked this morning on radio during what's in the papers I think.

Apparently there's a Lion King theme this year, wonder who came up with that theme.

Lets hope it's a Peppa Pig theme next year so we can call you know who....Peppa Boar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭phonypony

It's at times like these I feel blessed to not have children. I can't imagine what it must be like having to sit through that self-indulgent tripe, on a Friday of all evenings. My thoughts and sympathies are with those afflicted.

• *Not my work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jesus....

I...I.... I'm lost for words.

I feel I'll....

Next year's theme perhaps or the premise for a new venture, the ADULT Toy Show? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It would be interesting to see the ratings if VM did that and put it on at the same time as the LLTS 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

well all the promo stuff for the toy show seems to work i heard him on a few stations over the last few days going on about it and other stations were talking about it as well so no surprise he thinks he has done a great job no doubt it will get glowing reviews all weekend .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The Ryan Show was in full flow last night for sure. At one stage I think a full half hour passed by without a mention of a toy. Plenty of wheedling for donations to the Ryan Show fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭JJKC

Are you looking forward to Rikose filling in for Tubs on Monday morning?

Post edited by JJKC on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

All the money collected in the RTE Toy Show Appeal is distributed to children's charities around the country by The Community Foundation for Ireland.

This year's appeal has now passed the €5m mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Does any of the advertising revenue generated by the show goes to the charities? Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its an admirable thing raising for much money for childrens charities around the country, but the essence of the Toy Show as it used to be had been lost.

I was working last night so couldn't watch it with my kids, but asked them how they enjoyed it.

1st said, it was ok, but there was hardly any toys on it.

2nd said it was good

3rd said it was ok, but there was no gaming on it.

Now we all know it has been having less and less toys on it as each year passes. It has been converted into a completely different type of show, more human interest etc. And mostly, imho, making it as much about the host as anything else.

Just to think that they didn't have any gaming at all is a major surprise. Its the biggest toy sector by far, and one of the biggest industries in the world. Most kids are into gaming in some form or other. To simply ignore it shows the direction the show is headed.

I think there is a great opportunity for another channel to grasp the idea of a proper Toy Show and steal the thunder from RTE. Do nothing but cover toys. No singing or dancing, or sad stories and special guests. Leave that to "the toy show". It would have a massive audience.

No doubt Monday morning will see a lot of smoke being blown up Tubs, it'll be wall to wall "wasn't it fantastic" on every RTE radio show......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Well wow. I was listening to Rick and thinking "**** me this is just as awful as when the Ryan does it, I have been overly harsh over the years it's just the format". Big turn around from me big "humanity should of been my bussines" and all that.

Then dosnt only mister articulate himself come on. The format is bad. But Ryan is worse.

The show is a catastrophe. Poor format and worse presenter. A nexus of Montrose's worse traits. Stale formats, nepotism, dumbing down of the national dialogue, back slapping,

I was hoping Ryan would go full Partridge on Friday "You are really, really kind and we have raised 1.5 million Euros."

Audience claps with enthusiasm.

"And to put that in perspective, that's almost enough to keep me employed for FOUR years."

Clapping beings to wane.

"So give yourselves a round of applause and keep the money coming in."

Murmers of discontent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

reminds me of alans charity, to fix up the British stately homes because they're too expensive for the owners to repair :)

ryan must have neen busy in the recording studio this year , also some evidence of vocal training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

I was thinking the same thing about the lack of gaming but i think they are at a point now where all kids know about that stuff, they were trying to showcase more "irish" toys this year at reasonable prices which may not be as well known. To be be honest, if they had a PS5 on the show and kids were clammering to try get one since they saw it on the toy show, they would be let down by Christmas day, between the cost of them being 600-700 euro and it being almost impossible to get a hold of one. My main issue was the lack of christmas on the show

• Advertisement

• He did actually deliver that Kindness song surprisingly well. He takes his singing lessons seriously, the whole thing is to showcase himself of course.

He's definitely not tone deaf, but he was miming and auto-tuned. Not to mention there were choirs singing along with him.

The performance was very much about the ToyMan though, the kids were playin 2nd fiddle. He has a career in panto if he ever gets the sack from RTE (HA!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

'I'm banjaxed, it knocks the wind out of you. But I'm alright.

Me me me me me

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I left everything on the floor.

Basically telling us he will be taking 2 or 3 weeks holidays soon to 'recharge'.

As for running down the opinion of the letter writer to one of the newspapers, he told him it's not about the toys.

Well then he'll have to say the same to my 10yr old who complained about the lack of toys too. And my 11yr old who bemoaned the lack of gaming on it.

Aren't my kids and that man fools? It's not about the toys, it's about the toyman and the cancer stories. It's about creating a persona for a megalomaniac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Back to normal with sad stories.

Tubs talks about people with no filter who will ask questions that they shouldn't. 2 mins after asking someone in a car crash wether they nearly had to have their arm amputated. Tubs asking = curious .mindful.😉 anyone else nosey and mean

Anyone who plays that cardigans cover in a world that still has the cardigans version has something wrong with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I just wish that more people could see through this guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Jesus, just tuned in a few mins ago....

Is he on something?!!! I'm sure he'd say he's high on life, but fcuk me he's overbearing this morning..

• Absolutely intolerable. The amount of excited self-congratulations and virtue signalling is beyond tolerable. That ego is massive, albeit in a relatively harmless way. It’s just very off putting to a cohort of listeners who generally keep RTÉ on for currents affairs content, and are too damn lazy to change the dial for the while.

I think kids respect a conservative man in suit slacks and an I’ll fitting non matching Xmas jumper with no interest in kids during a toy show more than than over the top tubs

• Advertisement

• In my prior experience of working with the general public, opinions of him were not flattering, but they weren’t “unkind” per se. Typically I heard it said that his rushed speech makes for a sense of anxiety and irritation listening to the radio, that he doesn’t seem at ease with himself broadcasting. He makes sure to filter through only kind and flattering comments, many sent in by associates and relatives. In the past we used generally hear more diverse opinions sent in read out by broadcasters, although they have sometimes snubbed said comments but at other times might respond “everyone has their opinion”. Ryan will rarely ever mention a negative comment, and only ever to dismiss it arrogantly or name all the sender as being “unkind”.

The agenda of rigid virtue signalling “kindness” and humble bragging is set, and it will not be dismantled by allowing any diversity of opinion of broadcasting style and content to be aired. He is too inflexible to be able to change, so as long as Ryan is in the hot seat nothing can change and to allow any input by Joe Public could be to significantly disturb this status quo.

Funny you mention it but after I posted about my utter disdain at crap jazzy covers of good songs , tubs phone was lighting up with congratulatory texts offering other suggestions for bottom of the barrel shite covers of good songs

Seems the Toy Show donations didn't stop with the charities. His latest freebie left him in tears apparently.

Smells like bullshit. I reckon the restaurant just gave him the free meal and they invented the kind stranger story.

No doubt he matched the anonymous strangers' kindness by leaving a the cost of the meal as a tip.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40755900.html

edit: just realised he told this made up story on the radio show.

Post edited by mistersifter on

My favourite bit

I was about to head home to watch Elf when I thought ‘I want a bit of that action. I want to go in there,”

I had missed the Elf bit. He never misses an opportunity to get the man-child image out there.

Those copy and paste "kind stranger" stories are all over social media at the moment. He's shameless.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'I left everything on the floor'... how would he cope with a real job? Or if he actually was doing the job that he is being ridiculously overpaid for?

Those who are good at presenting and interviewing make it look easy. That's part of their skill. A genuine interest in other people and what makes them tick, is a good start. An ability to listen, is another part of their skill. So that's Tubridy out, on all counts.

I have mentioned it here before, but on the LLS 50th anniversary show, both Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny wiped the floor with Tubridy and they weren't setting out to do so. Both had their critics, I know. I'm not saying they were to everyone's taste, but I could watch the LLS back in the day, when they presented it.

A persona for a megalomaniac.

That sums it up perfectly.

Getting the waffle out of the way early

• if anyone is able to tune into Liveline today there might be a Boardsie (or two) on board, so to speak. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That implies that the waffle will form only part of the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭hawley

Ryan Tubridy has admitted that he cried on set after been triggered by the emotion of The Late Late Toy Show.

The RTÉ presenter has been busy rehearsing for what will be a very different show next Friday night.

So he has broken down in tears for the second year in a row over the Toy Show. The Toy Show is basically reality tv. They pick out the most unfortunate children and those with the worst disabilities. He is using children with disabilities in order to achieve high ratings and justify his position as host of the Late Late Show. It's appalling, but people seem to lap it up.

Reality TV is a good comparison. The likes of X-Factor are full of the same sad stories. It's capitalising on trauma voyeurism to boost audience numbers and advertising revenue.

If it were really about the kids he wouldn't interview them about their illnesses at all. They could simply say that the kids involved have been through difficult times and let them enjoy themselves on set. It doesn't seem fair to ask a child to speak about their cancer on national TV. If it were my kid I wouldn't let them anywhere near Tubridy.

And as for him "admitting" that something made him cry. Two years in a row crying over the Toy Show (but he'd rather not say what he cried over - we just need to know that he cried because of the sheer kindness of it all!). And the other day crying because "a kind stranger" (definitely not the restaurant manager) picked up his lunch tab. Why the need to tell people that he was crying in these situations? It's all so self-serving and insincere.

It is helping to create a certain persona.

All quiet on the boardsie front today.

Just another Thursday show.

• I missed out on hearing it. Was woken up very early by something I had to do, then slept right through it and woke up for Claire Byrne. I imagine the show was not much different. I dare say if he were guffawing and spluttering too much that would have woken me up so it must have berm relatively low key. Probably exhausted from his efforts last week.

• Ryan and Joe could do a pantomime together, if their egos didn’t clash too much. Joe would make a luverly pantomime dame. Any suggestions for de theme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭peneau

Joseph & the technicolour dreamcoat.

Ryan is the big bad brother. Most of the song and talk is from Joe.

Then at the end Joe spectacularly and forgives Ryan for all the bad he has done.

.....And it's all available on DVD price €25.99

Jack and the Beanstalk. Ryan could be the beanstalk.

Cannibal Holocaust, The Panto (VHS Only) - Two RTE journalists go missing on a trip to the Amazon to bring the gift of kindness to a remote, reclusive tribe and raise money for The Toy Shoy. This video, found washed up on Dollymount Strand six months later by a friend of the Tubridy family, is all that remains of their journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Any panto they did would probably be bankrolled by the money from the Toy Show appeal.

They wouldn't last. The two biggest egos in RTE sharing the same billing. It would be like one of those Hollywood fallouts where they argue over whose name is on top of the movie poster.

• Advertisement
Advertisement