Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The globalist agenda works much better without facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

propaganda for what? what do you think their aim is to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Like all media outlets their aim is to be as controversial as possible to get the most mileage out of a story. Accuracy doesn't come into it. "Climate emergency" gets clicks.

Instead of wondering what I think, would you not instead address and at least acknowledge the glaring inaccuracy of the report? You're usually very quick to come up with what you see as a debunk of non-consensus claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just don't understand why people think all of this climate change stuff is made up, and I really wish it wasn't real because it looks like we're in for some tough times in my lifetime. Like people on boards and the journal.ie think it's all so Eamon Ryan can tax people, but the only tax the Greens could really be held accountable for is the carbon tax, which isn't really much at all.

Maybe some of it is hammed up by the media for clicks alright though, I'm not disputing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

So you reckon there was no mention of La Niña 🤔

• Advertisement

I already said that. No mention of its influence. They mention the name once on the paragraph below, before you go and quote it.

Additionally, extreme weather events can occur at the same time over different places, because of large-scale atmospheric waves called “Rossby waves”, which are a naturally occurring phenomenon, like La Niña and El Niño.

Stop trying to deflect from your mistakes.

Deflect from my mistakes 🤣 tell me what we’re theyagain 🤔

I know you don’t believe in Anthropogenic climate change but I don’t understand why drag **** out.

Could you please quote the bit where you argue they mentioned the influence of La Niña? I knew you'd try to avoid it.

It's all good, King Charles III will change the weather much as Canute dealt with the ocean before him.

We will own nothing and be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Orion402

Canute's legend was an exercise in humility rather than futility. His exercise was designed to demonstrate, despite the flattering courtiers, that he could not control the tides.

If this was climate change modelling, the courtiers would be arguing among themselves whether higher than normal tides were caused by humans, naturally occurring or a combination of both.

There is no 'Canute' figure out there presently with enough common sense to direct climate research away from modelling predictions and back towards what is normal and cyclical. There was Charles II, who had a marvellous interest in research and instituted the Royal Society where the really early work on the tides was wonderful and full of inter-disciplinary commentaries-

That approach was sidelined 30 years later when experimentalists emerged with their very narrow agenda and this subculture and its patronising courtiers still drive awful convictions.

I just don't understand why people think all of this climate change stuff is made up...

Because in the case I provided (RTÉ) and Banana Republic (theconversation) it was indeed made up. I don't see the regular posters on here denying it either, which says something.

Leave the cows alone!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No carbon taxes on any of those flights either. Fossil fuels in planes jaunting the well to do around the planet is fine, fossil fuels in cars so the peasants can work is a problem.

They just don’t engage with you really is the reason cause it’s pointless.

Who would you consider regular posters apart from the OP who spectacularly debunked himself on this very thread. 🤔

The original poster is now shown as MeHappy and has a total of five posts. Where did that person "spectacularly debunk" themselves? Does anyone recall any previous username for MeHappy? I looked into it and couldn't find any info.

I suspect you perhaps thought another person started this thread? In which case, who are we talking about?

Nobody familiar with climate variability could think that climate change is made up, what is made up might be the cause and effect.

For example, we are now getting a spate of stories about human-caused climate change resulting in widespread heavy rainfall and flooding events. Two things about that, the claimed "increased frequency and severity" of these events is dubious at best, and is partly confused with larger impacts created by expanding populations. Of course if there are twice as many people covering twice as much of the earth's surface, then impacts will increase even in a steady-state or even in a slowly reducing threat frequency. And I think the latter is the case.

Some of the wettest periods of most climate records I've studied have been well back in the past during colder intervals. The wettest period at Toronto for example is 1841 to 1845 and has not been equalled since. The worst flood on the Mississippi in the past two centuries was in 1927. I keep track of daily precip records and cannot see any pattern of increase in those over recent years.

Yes, it's getting warmer. We are in the middle stages of a long inter-glacial. Nobody should be all that surprised that a trend towards warmer temperatures is underway. It will likely peak in another thousand years or so before slowly receding, the Milankovitch drivers are faint at the moment and there's certainly enough human-caused warming to overcome those, but even without human modification, I continue to believe that the climate would slowly warm because there's a large lag between solar forcing and ocean temperature, so the most dangerous part of an inter-glacial is not its warmest point but later on, just as September-October tends to be the lowest point for ice cover. Eventually the cooling stages of a late inter-glacial overcome that inertial situation, but I think ice will continue to melt for centuries yet before there's any shift towards reglaciation. And these trends would happen with or without human modification, we're just accelerating a natural trend.

Some people have tried to claim that I've changed my mind, but that confusion comes from trying to invent one profile for all skeptics, and sorry to say, we have many different approaches. There are people out there who think climate will naturally cool due to (for example) solar downturn, I was always rather unconvinced by that more due to the uncertainty of the solar variability being claimed than any other reason. But my background belief has always been that we live in a naturally warming climate. That's what I was used to thinking before AGW was even a thing. I see no reason to change that belief, and scoff at the IPCC claims of a climate that is supposed to be cooling. That suggests to me that the people at the top of the "science" (quotes deliberate) have no clue. And that is dangerous, especially in the political climate we face.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

La Nina's have been happening forever, la Nina and El Nino were identified 500 years ago by fishermen who recognised the patterns of weather that accompanied these oscillations

What has not been happening forever, is a third of Pakistan being flooded for the 2nd time in about a decade.

La Nina is natural. What we're seeing now is La Nina + the effects of Climate change.

When La Nina flips to El Nino as it tends to do once or twice a decade, we're going to see another set of extreme weather events, but they'll be turbo charged due to global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Climate change 'Sceptics' have different approaches, which means the small percent of sceptics who know anything about climate are further subdivided amongst a bunch of often contradictory positions, ranging from religious faith (Roy Spencer) to personal Hubris (the refusal to accept that their pet hypothesis has been discredited) to the dunning-kruger effect (where people who are so unqualified in the field that they don't know how wrong they are) (the Christopher Moncktons and Connolly brothers fall into this category) And then there's the shills who are just bought and paid for and will say whatever they get paid to say.

On the other hand, there are those who participate in the scientific process, publish real papers in real journals, and engage honestly with the evidence. These experts may disagree on the margins and place greater emphasis on some elements over others, but are in broad agreement that the mechanisms of climate change are proven to the required sigma and are happy to get on with advancing the science instead of clinging on to the gaps in the science as if that supported a different hypothesis for which there is no coherent description, let alone testable hypothesis.

I'll ask yet again: where's the bit where they did mention the influence of La Nina? I'm going to keep asking as long as you keep fobbing it off.

You've made a show of yourself many times over. Couldn't read the Greenland chart properly, made up stuff about the article above and now made up some nonsense about the OP and didn't even get the person right. You're a real joke, BR, and I can't take you seriously at all.

• Advertisement

You see no problem at all with an article by an alleged climate scientist not even mentioning the remotest possibility that La Nina has had a hand in the east African drought when I've posted peer-reviewed papers that show it's THE overwhelming influencing factor in that particular part of the world. No problem at all?

No testable hypothesis is the main weakness of climate change so it's no wonder critics of it may suffer from the same problem. I mean, how do we disprove a hypothesis which basically says, "whatever happens proves we are right, and anyone who disagrees is an idiot." ??

In my experience, the proponents of climate change have tried to assert that opposite outcomes are equally proofs of their hypothesis, and then they pivot to saying that future unknown consequences will also be proofs. They have already ruled out that anything can disprove their hypothesis. I will have to find two distinguished scientists at random and name this after them.

If any other science carried on this way, its own members would quickly show such false practitioners the door. But anyone capable of doing that has already been shoved out the door and is in no position to take action. A large part of the general public have no idea they are being told elaborate lies by these charlatans, because they are conditioned to think of science as infallible. Of course, science is anything but infallible, and when you talk of hubris, that is also rather ironic.

Would love to know the significance of this, looks like a recent photo of Prince Harry after meeting with the new King of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

One billion in disasters. Sounds like the figure my ex wife got off me.

Some advice to all you young lads out there. She may have the face, body and hair of a super model but they are trouble especially if you have a beard, beer belly and money like I had. Watch yourselves. She was well out of my league and all she wanted was the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Banana Republic brought such classics as: there is no gravity in space or their Harvard level written English authority, strangely never to be mentioned again or practiced in their posts. You expect some one with such fundamental lack of basic scientific knowledge is going to contribute much of substance here? More likely to be another posters troll account.

Greenland? Wait till BR finds out that India is bigger than Greenland.

Some weather agencies have also predicted that the ongoing La Niña climate event — a phenomenon that is typically associated with stronger monsoon conditions in India and Pakistan — will continue until the end of the year, says King. “It’s not a super strong link, but it probably is playing a role in enhancing the rainfall.”

It’s all facts about climate change. Concrete, no denying it. Certain beyond certain…. La Niña influencing?.. “Probably”

So nature is now enhancing AGW. When did we make that flip?

New Moon

Change in Forest Cover: Between 1990 and 2000, Pakistan lost an average of 41,100 hectares of forest per year. The amounts to an average annual deforestation rate of 1.63%. Between 2000 and 2005, the rate of forest change increased by 24.4% to 2.02% per annum. In total, between 1990 and 2005, Pakistan lost 24.7% of its forest cover, or around 625,000 hectares. Measuring the total rate of habitat conversion (defined as change in forest area plus change in woodland area minus net plantation expansion) for the 1990-2005 interval, Pakistan lost 14.7% of its forest and woodland habitat.

Pakistan government and meteorological institutions assigning full blame to C02.

Ridiculous how C02 has absolved any local responsibilities.

“The Maldives is going to be swallowed by the see”. Let’s abandon the islands, or let’s start a series of land reclamation projects, manage the natural sediment flux, try to protect against natural costal erosion driven by sea currents. If that fails it will be blame on the boogeyman AGW.

• Advertisement

On the new Frozen Planet II episode last night, Attenborough said the "Arctic Ocean could be ice-free in summer by 2035". Let's bookmark this quote and come back in another 13 years when we'll no doubt still be measuring ice during September.

Latest data:

Advertisement