Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German government is rewarded for supporting deal between EU and China.

Options
  • 13-01-2021 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

Declan Ganley retweeted Andreas Fulda's reference to a story from a German-language publication.

https://twitter.com/declanganley/status/1349141565109919744

Ganley tweeted that, if this story is true, then the side-deal for Deutsche Telekom is the reason for the ramming-through of the EU-China trade deal during the Christmas holidays and that the reason, if true, is a knife in the back of all of Europe and the West's fight against Chinese communist dominance of 5G.

Has Merkel been willing to endanger security in Europe? Has she not learned from her own country's recent history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Declan Ganley retweeted Andreas Fulda's reference to a story from a German-language publication.

Ganley tweeted that, if this story is true, then the side-deal for Deutsche Telekom is the reason for the ramming-through of the EU-China trade deal during the Christmas holidays and that the reason, if true, is a knife in the back of all of Europe and the West's fight against Chinese communist dominance of 5G.

Has Merkel been willing to endanger security in Europe? Has she not learned from her own country's recent history?

Germany's recent history? Are we talking within 50 years?
    Or do you mean East Germany (mayitrestinpeace)?

Tell you what I've learned from very recent history. I learned not to trust a word out of Declan Ganley and I'm certainly not going to take any notice of a retweet of a tweet referring to a paywalled article in German.

Share the article - in English. Then we can discuss it eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Nothing was rammed through during the Christmas holidays. It was the conclusion of years of negotiations, which still has to go through more due diligence and ratification, before it would come into effect a couple of years from now if it does get ratified.

Declan Ganley is pretty far from an impartial or reliable source and when he has to keep prefacing all his claims with “if true” then the explanation is probably that it’s not true. But I’m open to more evidence being provided if it actually exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Would prefer if we could find ways to stop dealing with China.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The deal hasn't been "rammed through". All we have is a "conclusion in principle"; it marks the end of the first stage of the process. The text of the proposed agreement has yet to be written, agreed, debated, signed and ratified by both parties which, on the EU side, will require approval by the Council and ratification by the Parliament. Until that has happened, nothing is in operation and neithers side is bound by anything. There is no timetable for this but it will take months, and perhaps years. SFAIK there is no targetted start date for when the deal should come into operation.

He has his own interests in telecommunications investments so he's far from impartial on top of that. He pushes a lot of nonsense on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

Has she not learned from her own country's recent history?

Nice username.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Would prefer if we could find ways to stop dealing with China.
    The CCP is the devil

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Germany's recent history? Are we talking within 50 years?
    Or do you mean East Germany (mayitrestinpeace)?

Tell you what I've learned from very recent history. I learned not to trust a word out of Declan Ganley and I'm certainly not going to take any notice of a retweet of a tweet referring to a paywalled article in German.

Share the article - in English. Then we can discuss it eh.

Slightly further back than that. By recent, I meant 20th century.

Advertisement