Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convincing the wife about cycling holiday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭531

Great thread. I am in a similar predicament except I am going with a friend, for a week, as soon as the Covid19 situation allows. I haven't mentioned it at home yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

8valve wrote: »
    As already mentioned, beg borrow or steal (OK, maybe not steal!) a tandem.

My better half hadn't cycled a bike in twenty years, when I bought her a ladies hybrid a few years back.

I then changed a few bits to make it more comfortable for her for greenway use (Swept back bars, anatomical saddle, raised stem etc).

She enjoyed it more after that.

Then I borrowed a tandem....and she absolutely loved it. We covered a lot of ground, at a fair pace, with her as the stoker behind.

Smiles and waves and pointing from everyone we met!

I've since picked one up to renovate for ourselves; I'll probably add a plug 'n' play bolt-on electric kit at the same time, to help with the hills.

They're an absolute hoot to use, once you get used to the long wheelbase.

Highly recommended.

PS, I know of a couple of steel framed tandems that can be picked up for small money, if you are interested. Both need a good clean and service, tyres etc but nothing major.
    Wouldn't mind a PM about those tandems myself...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there was one for sale on adverts which looked interesting, but was withdrawn before i'd made my mind up about it; a 531 based dawes:

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/handmade-dawes-tandem-bike/21871870

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Last I checked I didn't need my husbands permission to go on a break without him? Why ask permission. Book it after discussing that the dates suit her to be around if there are kids involved and promise her you will wear as much saftey equipment as you need. She will probably head off on her own somewhere or with friends etc.

Feets wrote: »
    Last I checked I didn't need my husbands permission to go on a break without him? Why ask permission. Book it after discussing that the dates suit her to be around if there are kids involved and promise her you will wear as much saftey equipment as you need. She will probably head off on her own somewhere or with friends etc.

It's not really a matter of permission. I never stopped her from doing anything that involved being away. It is the having to pay in bad vibes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Feets

Yeh I understand thats what what other halves think - the bad vibes- but once someone comes home from a trip, everyone is happier. There would be worse vibes if you don't take the trip. just my two cents.

Yeh I understand thats what what other halves think - the bad vibes- but once someone comes home from a trip, everyone is happier. There would be worse vibes if you don't take the trip. just my two cents.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'll get her a present.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

8valve wrote: »
    PS, I know of a couple of steel framed tandems that can be picked up for small money, if you are interested. Both need a good clean and service, tyres etc but nothing major.
    don't bloody well tempt me...
    Is it possible to get a tandem PF?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was watching Rick Stein last night on tv and I dropped another hint about heading over to France on the bike for a week or so once covid isn't an issue - maybe around Brittany.
    I know she wouldn't be interested in it but wasn't expecting her reaction which was to ask why I wouldn't go further south as there'd be too many British and Irish tourists around Brittany.
    Sounds like I've been given permission :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Thread title edited to be less sexist

Not all of us need to convince a wife...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

eeeee wrote: »
    Thread title edited to be less sexist

Not all of us need to convince a wife...

Hmm, but it wasn't a thread about convincing partners, it was a thread about a specific person convincing his wife. I assume he knows she's his wife, because he's married to her.

Don't see any sexism here at all tbh

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It broadened out to partners more generally, hence the change, but I can change it back it OP wants no bother.

ETA Changed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

cletus wrote: »
    I would've thought marital advice fell even further outside the remit of boards than medical advice :D

Actually having read the thread so far you could give the marital advice forum a run for its money - some excellent advice here!
    OP I did this a few years ago and Mrs N11 took herself off to London without the kids as a treat. Planning something similar this year. You don’t have to do everything together and even in the best relationships individuals need headspace and time for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Fugs!!

GOOD NEWS

We have it all worked out. Heading off for 7 days and we're spending 2 nights together in dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It's not permission, it's discussing the plan out of respect. You don't just say to your partner "I'm going to France for a week."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

A few years ago me and the OH went to Kerry for the week - I brought the bike.
    I got a few cycles in by heading off early in the morning - 6/6.30 - back 2/3 hours later - then we had the whole day to ourselves.
    Early start but a big benefit was the low amount of traffic. Cycling through the Gap of Dunloe early in the morning and no traffic was pure bliss.

You have it sorted but renting an electric bike might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Fugs!! wrote: »
    GOOD NEWS

We have it all worked out. Heading off for 7 days and we're spending 2 nights together in dingle.

Bottle of wine for cletus I reckon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭cletus

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Bottle of wine for cletus I reckon ;)

Pour moi??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For lenny, but I'm sure he'd share :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Fugs!! wrote: »
    Hi folks

I really want to try some bike packing this summer, if we're allowed. I have the bike, the ability, the gear and knowhow(I think).

I live in the southeast and want to head for the south west for and tour around a bit down there. I love my own company and am very happy to go it alone. but...

I suggested it last year to the better half around the time things were opening up a bit (May or June) and she straight away started talking about where "we" would stay, and how She would keep up, as she's not a cyclist(she's fit but never shows much interest in cycling).

Then I said "sure I'll go on my own".. She didn't like that idea and gave me "That stare".

So I'm hoping that this year.. Possibly.. Maybe.

Anyone got any advice on how to convince her I'm ok, and its what I'd like.. etc etc..

Hire a e-bike for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

marvin80 wrote: »
    ..I got a few cycles in by heading off early in the morning - 6/6.30 - back 2/3 hours later - then we had the whole day to ourselves...
    That would be my idea of a cycling holiday from hell. I'd rather be doing the other things for the early 2-3 hours and then have the whole day for cycling. It always seems that for many cycling has to take a back seat. Grown men rushing home from a club rides because they have to do 'other stuff'. Why can't cycling be the other stuff. It's not as if it's something dodgy. I just wouldn't go if I was under the clock.

Rant over. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Have you thought about getting a divorce OP?

Have you thought about getting a divorce OP?

I am not the OP but yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That would be my idea of a cycling holiday from hell. I'd rather be doing the other things for the early 2-3 hours and then have the whole day for cycling. It always seems that for many cycling has to take a back seat. Grown men rushing home from a club rides because they have to do 'other stuff'. Why can't cycling be the other stuff. It's not as if it's something dodgy. I just wouldn't go if I was under the clock.

Rant over. :pac:

For some of us that other stuff is just as important as the club ride. I have kids and a partner who I like to spend time with which doesn't happen as much as I like. One of the main reasons I don't go on Audaxes anymore, as much as I loved them, I love spending 12 to 24 hours of my day with my family more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'hey kids, guess what? we're going on an audax together!'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

'hey kids, guess what? we're going on an audax together!'

CramCycle looked back on his life and wondered where it all went wrong....

to be fair, WA did say it was his idea of a 'cycling holiday from hell'. it's not a cycling holiday per se if you get out for two hours a day, it's a holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Wouldn't mind a PM about those tandems myself...

Trying to pm you but system won't allow me to?

out of curiosity, and i know this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but how much would you expect to pay for a tandem? double price for the equivalent spec road bike maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

"I will ride there and back..." is my mantra lately, when it comes to anything from day out to weekends away.

With young kids, we do a lot of day trips (or atleast pre-covid) that's in the 20-50km distance range, and I would leave early on the bike and aim to get there by the time herself and kids make it there. Spend some time there and ride back on my own.

The same worked for weekend away at Slieve Donard hotel in Newcastle - nice ride there (took the ferry) and herself was more than happy to wait it out in the Spa. Longer holidays up north is also the same - she's okay driving the kids up herself and leaves me to cycle up there (usually within the day).

Suggesting a multi-day bike packing trip could probably be the straw that breaks this camel's back. On the plus side she has started on the turbo last few weeks - not sure if that's because she is now more tolerant of cycling or because I have hooked up netflix there and she can watch Bridgerton uninterrupted... anyway, I really hope she gets into cycling proper. I would love to ride across the country (and to South of Spain) some day, and it would be nice to have some company.

Advertisement