Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM charges switching to non-Irish SEPA Visa/Mastercard Debit?

• 13-01-2021 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

To avoid banking charges I am going to move my banking to either a zero fee EBS account, or receive income into same or existing zero fee credit union account, and set up a standing order into either N26 or Bitwala which I will otherwise effectively use as my bank. I am trying to discern what offers the best value.

From Bitwala's Pricing it seems like the only charges I would incur would be when the actual ATM adds a charge as Bitwala themselves do not charge for it: What is the cost of an ATM withdrawal?

From N26's Pricing List which seems to have more charges than Bitwala (in addition to a maximum of 3 'free' ATM withdrawls per month versus apparently unlimited with Bitwala), a 12c stamp duty withdrawal to a maximum of €5 is applied to Irish customer and taken retrospectively.

Are any of these charges mentioned something I should expect to incur regularly using a German based N26 or Bitwala card here in Ireland, and if so would those charges be avoided if I stuck with an EBS card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I rarely withdraw cash, but I've never been charged by the ATM for using a German card. That may change as I believ some of the Irish banks are selling off thei ATMs. If it goes like the US, everyone will be charged by the ATM, regardless of the location of their bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

.... and if so would those charges be avoided if I stuck with an EBS card?

It's going to be less about the card issuer and more about the ATM you use. For the forseeable future, you'll have nothing to worry about if you use an EBS card at an ATM outside or inside a branch of AIB (which owns EBS) but if you deviate from that, you will eventually be exposed to fees from the machine operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭zell12

How much do Bitwala charge to issue/post a debit card? the pricing only mentions 'Germany'

Advertisement