Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Access Help

Options
  • 13-01-2021 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭

Hi All

hoping for some help/advice, long story short, father/son business, Dad not well and wont be able to come to work for a bit, but he needs remote access to the Accounts software, to pay bills ets.

Not a complete gob regards software etc. but I'm struggling to get anything to work, tried remote desktop and its working within the LAN but not from my own house, so I know the router is obvisouly blocking something,

For the life of me I've never been able to sort port unblocking, Happy to pay for a service but problem is accounts is on old XP pro PC,

Teamviewer wont work as free version wont allow connection to the older legacy XP and its expensive for paid version if a monthly I'd pay it but they want the year up front, tried Splastop as they support remote of XP but again the port is being blocked.

Any suggestions I can use to get him going, also cant bring it home as its also used to do POS at the counter

appreciate any suggestions to get him sorted

Comments

anydesk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

BobMc wrote: »

For the life of me I've never been able to sort port unblocking, Happy to pay for a service but problem is accounts is on old XP pro PC,

Do not, I repeat DO NOT have this connected to the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pay an IT consultant a few hundred for a few hours.

Its a LOT cheaper than being Cryptolockered. A lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

degsie wrote: »
    Do not, I repeat DO NOT have this connected to the internet!
    This x 1000 do not have that machine connected to the internet. Yet alone open ports for it.

Either upgrade your accounts software or get new accounts software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

thanks all, we're small and dont have alot of spare money, our accounts tech recently died suddenly he set up our system with a POS using Access that posts to sage, its just something temp we need for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I would also recommend not connecting that machine to the Internet. If I had to do what you need, I would run a vpn server, on a different device, and create a secure connection from your father's computer at home into the work network. Could be run on a raspberry pi so nothing too expensive.

Would take a small bit of learning if you are not used to using Linux, but there is plenty of information available.

This would allow you to block access to the xp machine, and connect to it as though your father's pc was on the local network.

If you think you might be interested in this I can give you a few guides for setting up an openvpn tap server fairly easily using pivpn and a few changes.

What is your level of ability? Could you install a program or two? Flash an sd card? Copy some commands into a terminal? Change a setting or two in your router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭BobMc

small bit beyond my capabilities unfortunately, its only short term solution I need, was meant to get it all moved to an internal sever until this untimely death

Advertisement