Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to embrace Unionism?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

cgcsb wrote: »
    Eh no they don't. In fact in Spain Irish people will set out to avoid English bars because they get too aggressive and shouty when they consume alcohol. Go to Gran Canaria and ask the local police what group are appearing in the local court rooms most often. Much rather hang out with the Scandies or the dutch on holliers.

What I meant was we’ll go to an Irish bar and the Brits will go to their bars. The Dutch can be as bad as some of the British for aggressiveness and arrogance.
    What I can’t get over is the orange walk in Benidorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭cgcsb

tonbinn wrote: »
    Ireland has one person for every 17 or 18 the UK has to look after even though our country is 50 to 60% of the size of the UK. There'd be sometthing wrong if we weren't miles ahead on all the macro-indicators and we're not. Ahead on some but behind on others. But the overall point stands that to suggest we forfeit our independence is ridiculous although there are many in very powerful positions who lean that way whether they admit it or not. You need only look at the grip they have on mainstream media. Most of the negaivity regarding our little republic is the comparison between what we are and what we could be with a bit of integrity and civic responsibility in government rather than the decades of me féinism and gobsheenism that we've had. Don't let anyone pull the wool over you and tell you we are a rich, successful country. We were bust through mindless greed and treason 10 years ago and borrowed 67,000,000,000 euros to pay for the glutony. And that's why 2 full time working, degree educated parents with no childcare and no health care can't afford a biscuit tin to live in and will spend their entire lives handing over 50% of their salaries for the inflated rents of the private landlord class. Or emigrate- that is the choice for many. The country doesn't work and is dysfunctional in many, many ways.

Oh I don't deny Ireland has it's problems. To suggest Ireland would be better were it the same as Wales is nonsense. As for the UK having a large population therefore causing lower quality of life, sorry but Germany proves this not to be the case. The UK's problems are rooted in extreme forms of classism and short term greed. Our current rulers are also stuffed with greed thankfully they won't matter from 2025 on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I think there are a good number of moderate unionists in the republic, but, like closet Sf voters they will keep it to themselves.

Dan.

I think there are a good number of moderate unionists in the republic, but, like closet Sf voters they will keep it to themselves.

I met one before through work, he actually became a policy advisor for FG. He was one of those guys who was born wealthy but thick as a post. Went to study Orts and then worked in real estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,425 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I met one before through work, he actually became a policy advisor for FG. He was one of those guys who was born wealthy but thick as a post. Went to study Orts and then worked in real estate.

A FG policy advisor who went into real estate. There has to be a joke in that somewhere

• Advertisement

Its a common enough opinion, this "hand it back to the Queen" position.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    A FG policy advisor who went into real estate. There has to be a joke in that somewhere

Sorry he was a real estate agent first.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tonbinn

Its a common enough opinion, this "hand it back to the Queen" position.

yeah, "I'm alright Jack". Very enlightened stuff but unfortunately the underlying ethos of every fibre of the FG and FF parties who are permanently in power in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think in any other circumstances than a pandemic lockdown, this trolling thread wouldn't have made it to 9 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 tonbinn

"trolling" is an over-used word. It is legitimate to ask would we be better-off as a colony again, especially as a not insignificant amount of people are of that mindset anyway. Should we join this? Should we join that? The simple answer of course is that we should learn to stand on our own 2 feet first without looking for a hand to hold onto. Then when we learn to walk and run by ourselves, we can decide who we want for company. But don't hold your breath..

• Advertisement

Not necessarily, if we're taking about roads then there have been huge improvements in Ireland in that past few decades.

Ireland now has far superior roads than NI whereas a lot of the older infrastructure in Britain is beginning to look dated since construction in the 50s.

If we're taking public transport infrastructure; we're as bad as eachother.

You've clearly never been to the U.K.

Advertisement