Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about flooring in new build

• 13-01-2021 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm currently looking at some 3-4 bed new builds that state that they come without flooring. So essentially just the base concrete and then I will have to purchase/fit flooring of my choice in the various rooms.

I'm completely new to the process so I had a few questions I was hoping to get some advice on:

1. If I purchase the materials can the actual development company/building crew who are constructing the house install these or do I need to go with a 3rd party to install?

2. I know this one will vary depending on size, quality level and needs (wood vs tiles vs laminate) but in a very rough sense what would be the average cost for materials plus labour? Are talking about the 5000 range roughly or closer to 10,000 to floor a full 3 or 4 bed home with lets say medium quality wood/laminate mix flooring? Or would it be more than 10,000 (assuming roughly medium quality floors throughout)?

3. Can I get the floors installed before having the keys handed over or will I need to have the keys and everything signed and completed before beginning the process?

4. Any caveats, horror stories, tips, tricks or issues to look out for regarding this? Any hidden small print or other weirdness to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,955 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1. 3rd party will do the floors, generally whoever you buy from will supply fitters.

2. 5-10k I'd guess for laminate throughout the house.

3. No, after keys handed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mick121

I'm currently looking at some 3-4 bed new builds that state that they come without flooring. So essentially just the base concrete and then I will have to purchase/fit flooring of my choice in the various rooms.

I'm completely new to the process so I had a few questions I was hoping to get some advice on:

1. If I purchase the materials can the actual development company/building crew who are constructing the house install these or do I need to go with a 3rd party to install?

2. I know this one will vary depending on size, quality level and needs (wood vs tiles vs laminate) but in a very rough sense what would be the average cost for materials plus labour? Are talking about the 5000 range roughly or closer to 10,000 to floor a full 3 or 4 bed home with lets say medium quality wood/laminate mix flooring? Or would it be more than 10,000 (assuming roughly medium quality floors throughout)?

3. Can I get the floors installed before having the keys handed over or will I need to have the keys and everything signed and completed before beginning the process?

4. Any caveats, horror stories, tips, tricks or issues to look out for regarding this? Any hidden small print or other weirdness to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
    Normally the foreman is the go to on site.He can recommend tradesmen to fit flooring.In my experience most foremen are ok and as most lads are self-employed the can give you a heads-up

Advertisement