Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe Burst: What to do

Options
  • 13-01-2021 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

A pipe burst in my ensuite this morning, water flowed to kitchen below, came down through the lights, out of the light switches there and in the hallway, signs of water in all the walls downstairs.

Rang the insurance broker - Dolmen - and they weren't much help, keep receipts for claim, no mention of taking photos or an adjuster being sent out..

Anyway I'm kinda hopeful that the damage may not be too bad as no ceilings seem to be damaged, and have a dehumidifier in place now.

What do ppl recommend I do now, what is the process, let house dry out then try electrics? Get electrician in to test everything? All advice is very welcome.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Firblog wrote: »
    A pipe burst in my ensuite this morning, water flowed to kitchen below, came down through the lights, out of the light switches there and in the hallway, signs of water in all the walls downstairs.

Rang the insurance broker - Dolmen - and they weren't much help, keep receipts for claim, no mention of taking photos or an adjuster being sent out..

Anyway I'm kinda hopeful that the damage may not be too bad as no ceilings seem to be damaged, and have a dehumidifier in place now.

What do ppl recommend I do now, what is the process, let house dry out then try electrics? Get electrician in to test everything? All advice is very welcome.

Cheers

Hire a couple of industrial dehumidifiers if you haven't already.
    Definitely talk to electrician before you do anything.
    Water can pool in the light fittings. Take pictures of everything and a report from anyone who does work.

Happened me 3 times in different houses with different insurers and they all paid up without fuss. Assessor came out for each one.

Advertisement