Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central contact for dormant accounts

• 14-01-2021 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can help on this as I've searched the forum and the general web but can't find much online.

My father passed away at the end of last year and we're starting to tackle tracking down any accounts we weren't aware of that would now be dormant.
    I know that once an account goes dormant it passes to NTMA (at least an old post office account did), so is it possible just to write to NTMA with copy of will and death cert for info on any dormant accounts held in Dads name or do I need to contact each bank/building society/credit union/state savings separately?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There doesn't seem to be a central point of contact. That's probably because if there was, it would be innundated by enquires from genuine next of kin but also by chancers and potential scammers. Every solicitor in the country would write to them as a matter of course during the process of probate and they'd have an endless backlog of enquiries, most of which would prove to be fruitless. They'd also have to field a constant stream of enquiries from living people, enquiring in case they might have had an old account they forgot about i.e. it would be a magnet for time wasters.

Several websites (incl. Citizens Information and the Central Bank) point to the Banking and Payments Federation website, they have a booklet on the topic of dormant accounts and this is what they advise....

In certain instances, the next-of-kin may not be aware of the branch or indeed the financial institution holding accounts in the names of deceased or incapacitated persons. Each financial institution provides an effective tracing service for bona fide claims from solicitors and/or legal/personal representatives seeking to establish the existence of such accounts, within its branch network. A financial institution may negotiate a charge in respect of this service before undertaking a search of its records. Your branch will advise you on how to access this service.

https://bpfi.ie/publications/dormant-accounts/

You'll have to write to any banks and building societies where your father may have had an account.

A few more links but they all say the same thing....

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/personal_finance/banking/dormant_bank_accounts_in_ireland.html
    https://www.centralbank.ie/regulation/industry-market-sectors/credit-institutions/other-requirements/dormant-accounts
    https://www.gov.ie/en/policy-information/c376c9-dormant-accounts-fund/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Just wondering if anyone can help on this as I've searched the forum and the general web but can't find much online.

My father passed away at the end of last year and we're starting to tackle tracking down any accounts we weren't aware of that would now be dormant.
    I know that once an account goes dormant it passes to NTMA (at least an old post office account did), so is it possible just to write to NTMA with copy of will and death cert for info on any dormant accounts held in Dads name or do I need to contact each bank/building society/credit union/state savings separately?

Thanks

My sympathies on the death of your father.

At this stage, the accounts would not be dormant, it's only been a year.

You can try writing to the banks and other financial institutions, but you need to understand that they will not entertain a fishing trip - they need to respect the privacy of other customers as well. They won't for example tell you about every Jim Murphy in South Kerry that has a bank account with them, that is not how it works.

Other than a hunch do you have evidence to suggest there are hidden accounts?

I'd suggest you start with the existing accounts you know about, review the accounts for transactions that will lead you to other accounts and so on.

Advertisement