Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

growleaves wrote: »
    Communist countries in the Soviet sphere had an "underground free market" where trade was carried on surreptitiously. That is what we've been reduced to.

Lets face it, even if the vaccine is rolled out and all the restrictions are lifted we could be shut down again at any time - based on "carbon emissions" or something else.

Once people accept the principle that our right to live and work and see our families is a purely technical issue dependent on pseudo-objective statistics then we have given up having any say. Dire.

Jesus. So true. We have set a precedent now. I believe in the role of the state, I'm not some libertarian but this is just too much at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

The Irish society is playing its part by
    wearing Masks
    Keeping within 5-20k zone
    Keeping visits with loved ones to a minimum

I am very confident the majority of us are doing what is expected of us.

What is the government doing ?
    Allowing people into the country who have the potential of the virus, perfect example is when we learn of these new strains from different countries, we still allow other folks in

We are an island, we have the capability to lock everything down, manage the virus and come out smiling.

But no; the government won’t do this and as a result we, d nation suffer as a result of their inability to manage.

One wonders why we are getting tired and the funny part, is the latest surge was blame on Xmas meet ups, I am just waiting for what there next excuse for higher cases next month when everyone is abiding by the rules.

The Irish society is playing its part by
    wearing Masks
    Keeping within 5-20k zone
    Keeping visits with loved ones to a minimum

I am very confident the majority of us are doing what is expected of us.

What is the government doing ?
    Allowing people into the country who have the potential of the virus, perfect example is when we learn of these new strains from different countries, we still allow other folks in

We are an island, we have the capability to lock everything down, manage the virus and come out smiling.

But no; the government won’t do this and as a result we, d nation suffer as a result of their inability to manage.

One wonders why we are getting tired and the funny part, is the latest surge was blame on Xmas meet ups, I am just waiting for what there next excuse for higher cases next month when everyone is abiding by the rules.

How long do we keep ourselves isolated from the rest of the world for do you propose?

How long do we keep ourselves isolated from the rest of the world for do you propose?

If we start now, we would be set by April/may and trust me, we are going to be in lockdown for most of that anyway...only problem is that we are still allowing me in and out on a regular basis.

Australia and NZ are living their lives without any restrictions cause they manage their borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

If we start now, we would be set by April/may and trust me, we are going to be in lockdown for most of that anyway...only problem is that we are still allowing me in and out on a regular basis.

Australia and NZ are living their lives without any restrictions cause they manage their borders.

How far are Australia and New Zealand away from the nearest country?

Do Australia and New Zealand have membership in the EU?

Do Australia and New Zealand share a land border with another country?

Do Australia and New Zealand have to abide by the rules of the Good Friday Agreement?

Do Australia and New Zealand have a Common Travel Area agreement with another country?

How do you propose Ireland manages in terms of imports?

What do you propose Irish citizens abroad do?

What happens in April/May if we still have cases?

Do you think a PCR test being required is adequate, as is not in place? If not, why not?

If you would kindly answer the above, maybe someone will take you seriously. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Coybig_ wrote: »
    How far are Australia and New Zealand away from the nearest country?

Do Australia and New Zealand have membership in the EU?

Do Australia and New Zealand share a land border with another country?

Do Australia and New Zealand have to abide by the rules of the Good Friday Agreement?

Do Australia and New Zealand have a Common Travel Area agreement with another country?

How do you propose Ireland manages in terms of imports?

What do you propose Irish citizens abroad do?

What happens in April/May if we still have cases?

Do you think a PCR test being required is adequate, as is not in place? If not, why not?

If you would kindly answer the above, maybe someone will take you seriously. Thanks.

Sooo many questions, and most of answers you know.

The Irish government should take a stand, quarantine the people coming into the country for 2 weeks if you want to visit.

Australia and NZ are an island, just like Ireland
    Irish citizens can come home if they are willing to go into quarantine in a hotel
    Imports / exports can come and go as normal
    Oz and NZ and their CTA; maybe they do;
    Australia sings in the Eurovision, does that count ? 🀣

Good night and stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Ha ha .... and posting on Boards.ie is going to make a difference??
    Jesus. So true. We have set a precedent now. I believe in the role of the state, I'm not some libertarian but this is just too much at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

just read the below! This way worse than we expected pre christmas or even a week or two ago, is now probably a best case scenario! Going to be very interesting to see what they do with the pup payments etc, the cost is going to be off the scales for all of this, the decisions they took at the start and have persisted with are LUNACY!

https://www.independent.ie/news/lockdown-to-continue-well-into-february-fine-gael-meeting-hears-39993011.html
    Most public health restrictions will continue well into February, a Fine Gael meeting heard tonight.

Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney told the meeting of the Fine Gael parliamentary party that the restrictions will be in place for quite a number of weeks and it was unclear how this would apply to schools.

The slower-than-hoped for decline in case numbers and the continuing pressure on the health service will force the Coalition to extend the Level 5 restrictions when the Cabinet meets on Tuesday, Government sources indicated this evening.

Ministers are likely to review the situation again at the end of February but there is no expectation of any substantive reopening of the economy before April with daily case numbers still above 2,000 and hospitalisations and ICU admissions still considered too high.

Almost all of the existing public health restrictions will be extended for several more weeks beyond the end of January with the Government’s immediate focus being on trying to reopen schools.

However, ministers are unable to provide any clarity or indicative date when this might happen.

A senior Coalition figure said tonight they hoped to be able to reopen schools at some point next month, but said cases were not going down as fast as the Government would like.

One Government source cast doubt over whether schools could reopen before St Patrick’s Day, but other senior figures insisted this possibility had not been discussed, insisting the priority was to reopen schools.

Junior education minister Josepha Madigan told her parliamentary party that talks to reopen special schools would restart next week after unions rejected proposals to have them reopen this week.

A senior Government source said there was ongoing engagement with teaching unions and they needed further reassurances which are being “worked through”.

The hospitality sector expects to be shut until after Easter, with the Government privately warning it could be the summer before bars, restaurants and hotels are able to reopen in any way.

Some hospitality industry figures believe so-called wet pubs will be shuttered until the autumn, while any form of international tourism from overseas this year is being ruled out.

After schools, the Government hopes to reopen the construction sector, but no date has been mooted for this.

The Cabinet sub-committee on Covid-19 is likely to finalise plans to extend restrictions at a meeting on Monday where public health officials will brief the Taoiseach, Tánaiste and senior ministers before the decisions are finalised at Cabinet on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Nevermind 2021. While here in Ireland we are doing a heck of a lot better in terms of avoiding economic collapse than many other countries, many of the dreams, goals and ambitious people had individually and collectively are gone. The world bowed heads to governments and their chaotic decisiona, and we will reap what we sow. The rich will be ok, most of the rest of us will not.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Nevermind 2021. While here in Ireland we are doing a heck of a lot better in terms of avoiding economic collapse than many other countries, many of the dreams, goals and ambitious people had individually and collectively are gone. The world bowed heads to governments and their chaotic decisiona, and we will reap what we sow. The rich will be ok, most of the rest of us will not.

I think they bowed to social media and being the do gooder, like whore, simpletons they are, made their idiotic posts, to be "good citizens"...

I wouldnt trust them enough, to ask them the day of the week!

• Advertisement

The above is so sad but I don't think we had much alternatives.

The above is so sad but I don't think we had much alternatives.

we didnt have to put people previously on E80 a week working, on a flat rate of E350 to not work. We did not require the ridiculously onerous lockdown over the summer. They opened up too early in December, I think they were screwed if they did, screwed if they didnt with Xmas, I agreed with letting people have some reasonable xmas, but do feel, that restrictions should have only been loosened far closer to it...

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    we wont get back to normal this year i dont think but am hoping restrictions are lifted and have a great May, June, July, Aug and Sep where the 5km is pulled to your own county, can meet with multiple other households only in an outdoor setting, pubs are allowed to open their beer garden with a max capacity of 15, can attend outdoor sporting events with a limited number, and can play golf. That would do me this summer having barbeques and beer with friends.

The numbers only went as high this winter due to cant meet up outdoors with the weather and sadly schools.

The government really need a proper plan for june july and august and open as much as they can wthin reason.

I dont think people can take much more.

Inter county travel will be allowed this summer. Not a chance in hell in it not been. We have the support our hospitality and tourism trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Inter county travel will be allowed legally by end of February.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Once those vulnerable and those on the frontline are vaccinated we will be grand. I'd see nightclubs open here in August,

August 2023 maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Jinonatron wrote: »
    Lads zero covid isn’t happening. Even Taiwan has community transmission now and they are an island who sealed borders in December 2019.

Zero covid policy is akin to no drugs in prison policy.
    Supposed to be impenetrable, no matter how much they try to stop it there are plenty of them there on offer. We can't stop something which you can hold in your hand yet some people "self-thought pandemic experts" and some professors managed to convince themselves we can stop something invisible which floats in the air.

Not true. There are plenty of restrictions in Australia some of which are being gradually lifted and some will remain till march 2022. That was reported in Aussie press. Restrictions are mainly centered in big cities. It is strange to compare Ireland to Australia where you can drive half a day to meet your nearest neighbor.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think they bowed to social media and being the do gooder, like whore, simpletons they are, made their idiotic posts, to be "good citizens"...

I wouldnt trust them enough, to ask them the day of the week!

Don't forget about the testing business which is the main cash cow for some individuals. They have every reason to keep show going. Like now you have to pay 200 quid to get a test before flying out and another 200 when you fly in.
    That is some business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If the ridiculous amount of money that was spent on increasing some welfare payments to 350 had instead been put to opening beds in hospitals maybe it would have helped.
    If the HSE weren't such a crowd of morons wasting money on ventilators that were never used due to the lack of certain european standards (read article on this recently).
    If some major country would have the ball$ to stand up to china and tell them to get their $hit together but no.

We have to deal with their crap. We then spend millions on their equally crap PPE and various governments thank them.

How much more stupid can the human race get.

We'll get out of this hellhole eventually but at a high cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

If the ridiculous amount of money that was spent on increasing some welfare payments to 350 had instead been put to opening beds in hospitals maybe it would have helped.
    If the HSE weren't such a crowd of morons wasting money on ventilators that were never used due to the lack of certain european standards (read article on this recently).
    If some major country would have the ball$ to stand up to china and tell them to get their $hit together but no.

We have to deal with their crap. We then spend millions on their equally crap PPE and various governments thank them.

How much more stupid can the human race get.

We'll get out of this hellhole eventually but at a high cost.
    Ah here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭alentejo

The more I read and hear about 2021, this year, very much like last year (post March 2020). Oct, Nov & Dec will have restrictions more like Level 3.

The gov will be sooo nervous of Christmas 2021 that you might even see cautionary restrictions on dining & socializing in an attempt to avoid another January carnage in 2022.

I think, spring 2022 might be the end game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JMNolan

I'd wager Europe and the UK will decide for us if 2021 is a write off. If the brits are sunning themselves all around Europe (with travel visas of course) and the EU is organizing massive concerts to celebrate victory over the virus then I'd struggle to see how level 5 can be continued here. And the Europeans are less likely to tolerate restrictions than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Newuser2

JMNolan wrote: »
    I'd wager Europe and the UK will decide for us if 2021 is a write off. If the brits are sunning themselves all around Europe (with travel visas of course) and the EU is organizing massive concerts to celebrate victory over the virus then I'd struggle to see how level 5 can be continued here. And the Europeans are less likely to tolerate restrictions than us.

That must be a big part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Not true. There are plenty of restrictions in Australia some of which are being gradually lifted and some will remain till march 2022. That was reported in Aussie press. Restrictions are mainly centered in big cities. It is strange to compare Ireland to Australia where you can drive half a day to meet your nearest neighbor.

Restrictions are mainly state borders and wearing masks, I’m in NSW and restaurants, cafes and pubs are all open and more or less at least 80% capacity. Concerts, theatre and cinemas are limited to 75% capacity. There are some restrictions but we definitely not living like rats. Most of those restrictions are being lifted next few weeks and we be back to pre-covid levels although the masks probably be staying.

Sydney is having a St Patrick’s day parade https://www.sydneystpatricksday.com/

Also driving half a day to your neighbor is a bit of throw away comment, sure in the outback that’s right ....only really a small part of population. The cities are very densely populated metro Sydney has a population of 5.2m in an area the size of Cork and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Idbatterim wrote: »
    just read the below! This way worse than we expected pre christmas or even a week or two ago, is now probably a best case scenario! Going to be very interesting to see what they do with the pup payments etc, the cost is going to be off the scales for all of this, the decisions they took at the start and have persisted with are LUNACY!

https://www.independent.ie/news/lockdown-to-continue-well-into-february-fine-gael-meeting-hears-39993011.html

Reading this piece has me wondering if we're going to make the same mistakes again. "Giving an indicative date" about reopening has been a fool's errand right the way through. The virus doesn't care about what we hope our timeframe for reopening the economy will be. It'll take as long as it takes to suppress the virus. If we try cut corners or chance it again, especially with this new variant, we'll be back in another lockdown asking what went wrong again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Reading this piece has me wondering if we're going to make the same mistakes again. "Giving an indicative date" about reopening has been a fool's errand right the way through. The virus doesn't care about what we hope our timeframe for reopening the economy will be. It'll take as long as it takes to suppress the virus. If we try cut corners or chance it again, especially with this new variant, we'll be back in another lockdown asking what went wrong again.

Am I missing something here. Do we have an effective vaccine with an aim to vaccinate the prospective effected or what ?
    Has the government / NPHET secretly got no faith in said vaccine?
    If the vaccine is as we are told then talk of any future (2-3 months away from present) is nothing but nonsensical hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would a holiday to Spain in September be a realistic prospect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

Will we have to wear masks in shops in summer 2021 even though we didn't have to in summer 2020 and there were nearly no cases/deaths every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

showpony1 wrote: »
    Will we have to wear masks in shops in summer 2021 even though we didn't have to in summer 2020 and there were nearly no cases/deaths every day?

I've no issue with that, masks aren't a bother and part of the day at this stage.

Will be travelling this summer and masks will be needed everywhere in transit, again no problem.
    As long as the restrictions are eased over the next few months 2021 will be a good time as long as people want to make it so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would a holiday to Spain in September be a realistic prospect?

In 4 months i would categorically say yes.

Advertisement