Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thought to share this article with you, I totally agree with this article, otherwise, it still be lockdowns all the way to 2022

‘Ireland is an island, it can be sealed’- top microbiologist says zero-Covid model needed to avoid lockdowns until 2022

I presume this is the article you meant to share

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/irish-news/health/ireland-is-an-island-it-can-be-sealed-top-microbiologist-says-zero-covid-model-needed-to-avoid-lockdowns-until-2022-39998214.html

Maybe he should concentrate on the UK since he lives there. Someone should ask him if he thinks that Britain can also be sealed since it is also an island and roughly the same size as New Zealand which he is using as his example.

It's very easy for a microbiologist to come out with stuff like this and in the perfect world it could be done but can you see how it might be difficult politically to make it happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Glastonbury cancelled

The latest Bond movie pushed back again till at least October

The usual Sugar-coaters who think things will be like 2019 by September are completely delusional

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Glastonbury cancelled

The latest Bond movie pushed back again till at least October

The usual Sugar-coaters who think things will be like 2019 by September are completely delusional

People are trying to be hopeful and dealing with a lot of fear and uncertainty. It's another way of coping just the same as focusing on negativity or worst case scenarios helps others.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

People are trying to be hopeful and dealing with a lot of fear and uncertainty. It's another way of coping just the same as focusing on negativity or worst case scenarios helps others.

For every "sugar coater" there are ten doomsayers, almost relishing the moment they get say "extended lockdown" "cancel 2021" "hospitality closed till june"

They're queuing up to get there vitriol out there.

Personally, I think 4 months and we'll be looking far far better and getting into the new way to work and live and importantly we will enjoy it.

For every "sugar coater" there are ten doomsayers, almost relishing the moment they get say "extended lockdown" "cancel 2021" "hospitality closed till june"

They're queuing up to get there vitriol out there.

Personally, I think 4 months and we'll be looking far far better and getting into the new way to work and live and importantly we will enjoy it.

There are those who think Covid is a bit of a flu and those who thinks we will be living with restrictions in to 2023. Then there's the rest of us in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

We shut down whole economies to help the vulnerable pensioners but God forbid we help poor people in poor countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Curtains slowly going down on 2021 :(:( 11 months beofre it ends

These new deadly strains of the virus emerging
    the slow approval of vaccines
    summer events been cancelled already
    looking like travel will be banned

****ing hell :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    These new deadly strains of the virus

It isn't the case yet, it's inconclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

On days like these I feel like an unwitting participant in a twisted human experiment.

Dry January was a bad ****ing idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

First half of 2021 maybe....I still have faith the second half will be better (4th quarter especially!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Think tonight is the night I pack it in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

On days like these I feel like an unwitting participant in a twisted human experiment.

Go in and get yourself a drink. January is too miserable already without denying yourself something you enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

statto25 wrote: »
    Go in and get yourself a drink. January is too miserable already without denying yourself something you enjoy

You’re right - just made the off licence before it closed.

Travel will be banned? Not going to happen. If someone needs to travel, they will be able to travel.
    A vaccine, strong leadership and most importantly, public pressure will take us out of this mess.

The government has to step up to the plate now, and the opposition, who have been equally awful since the start of the pandemic, need to hold them to account if they don't. I fear for 2021 if NPHET are not reigned in. The time has come to get this vaccine rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

statto25 wrote: »

Make it a strong one cos the news from astrazeneca has essentially made 2021 a write off for this country I reckon. The lockdown merchants are celebrating tonight....

Make it a strong one cos the news from astrazeneca has essentially made 2021 a write off for this country I reckon. The lockdown merchants are celebrating tonight....

They are ramping up in February. Let's not panic. However Ireland is falling behind, Britain has nearly vaccinated all 80+ year olds.

Its time now for the government to step up rather than depend on the populace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

What did astrazeneca say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

They are ramping up in February. Let's not panic. However Ireland is falling behind, Britain has nearly vaccinated all 80+ year olds.

Its time now for the government to step up rather than depend on the populace.

How can we go faster than the EU agreement we are tied into?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    What did astrazeneca say?

Number of doses set to be delivered to the EU cut by 31m or 60% in Q1 2021. Major issue at a production facility with much lower than expected yields apparently.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »
    How can we go faster than the EU agreement we are tied into?

Ok, then the EU needs to up its game. And the government. And is that the reason anyway? We will see how the government does when we get enough vaccines. Theres always the Chinese and Russian vaccines.

Number of doses set to be delivered to the EU cut by 31m or 60% in Q1 2021. Major issue at a production facility with much lower than expected yields apparently.

Thanks. I'm sure Tony rubbed one out at the thought of being able to impose more lockdowns.

We'll have to move Countries at this rate to enjoy normality. We can Switzerland to the Countries revolting against lockdowns. Apparently they intend to hold a referendum to strip the Govt of its powers to impose more lockdowns.

Lockdowns can't go on forever. If deaths fall over, and they should if the vulnerable are vaccinated, then we should at least try level 2 or 3. Summer should see a respite. Use that time to get to vaccine herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lockdowns can't go on forever. If deaths fall over, and they should if the vulnerable are vaccinated, then we should at least try level 2 or 3. Summer should see a respite. Use that time to get to vaccine herd immunity.

This is Ireland

He'll find a way. If NPHET was a Fortune 500 company they would have been accused of cooking the books by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

With yesterday’s news from AstraZeneca it very likely is a write off now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I can hear Tony already, "while we are now on track to have 100% vaccination cover, some very worrying news in XXXX means we're at an inflection point and level 5 will continue indefinitely".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do you ever get the feeling that we are not being told the full story? It’s an unprecedented global response to a virus with no symptoms or illness for the vast, vast majority of those infected.
    Are countries committing Hari Kari on their citizens to prolong the lives of the, mainly, already old and sick?

Remember these are governments that still allow cigarettes to be sold despite the WHO reporting them causing over 8 million deaths a year.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

I do it every year,not a runner this year.Food,sex and booze are the only things left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Do you ever get the feeling that we are not being told the full story? It’s an unprecedented global response to a virus with no symptoms or illness for the vast, vast majority of those infected.
    Are countries committing Hari Kari on their citizens to prolong the lives of the, mainly, already old and sick?

Remember these are governments that still allow cigarettes to be sold despite the WHO reporting them causing over 8 million deaths a year.

Our ICU depts are full of people with the same disease. That is unprecedented in modern times.
    But yeah a virus with no symptoms...

Advertisement