Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

tom1ie wrote: »
    But what would the policy changes be?
    Restrictions need to be tighter not what we have now.

Lockdown forever? What ever happened to living with covid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Lockdown forever? What ever happened to living with covid

Clearly not working that’s what happened.
    People acting the bollix are prolonging this nonsense.
    Quarantine the virus coming into the country.
    Lockdown properly and give the virus no opportunity to get new hosts.
    That’s how you defeat it.
    In theory this should only take 5 weeks of zero interaction between people. (I realise that’s impossible as people need to get food and provide food etc) but having coffee shops open as just one example is ludicrous.
    Just stop acting the bollix and we can open up with a low daily number plus quarantine to stop it coming back in.

Gloomsters out in force today. A few hiccups on the roll out of the vaccine is not the end. Cases will drop off in the summer, vaccinations will continue, and we will be back to normal by end of summer, with the expception of large outdoor and indoor gatherings. Level 1 ish.

Clearly not working that’s what happened.
    People acting the bollix are prolonging this nonsense.
    Quarantine the virus coming into the country.
    Lockdown properly and give the virus no opportunity to get new hosts.
    That’s how you defeat it.
    In theory this should only take 5 weeks of zero interaction between people. (I realise that’s impossible as people need to get food and provide food etc) but having coffee shops open as just one example is ludicrous.
    Just stop acting the bollix and we can open up with a low daily number plus quarantine to stop it coming back in.

Coffee shops are hardly a big issue. People don't stay inside. Its effectively a takeout.

Anyway the R0 value is below 1, the panic is unneeded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Gloomsters out in force today. A few hiccups on the roll out of the vaccine is not the end. Cases will drop off in the summer, vaccinations will continue, and we will be back to normal by end of summer, with the expception of large outdoor and indoor gatherings. Level 1 ish.

It’s the long term pup couch potatoes that are living the dream who are the so called gloomsters. Thought of them having to have to work again instead of sitting on their hole all day drinking Lidl beer/wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I really hoped when the clock struck midnight on new year's eve that we'd be moving to a a brighter future but unfortunately it doesn't look that way. Thank god over the Christmas break I was able to catch up with family and friends. Its was nice to have dome normality for a couple of weeks before this lockdown.. Its tough going

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I really hoped when the clock struck midnight on new year's eve that we'd be moving to a a brighter future but unfortunately it doesn't look that way. Thank god over the Christmas break I was able to catch up with family and friends. Its was nice to have dome normality for a couple of weeks before this lockdown.. Its tough going

It was all the meeting up you did is the problem. Has the penny not dropped at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

IngazZagni wrote: »
    How can we go faster than the EU agreement we are tied into?

We have to take back control of our jobs, our fish and our borders lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

2021?

You'll be lucky if anything changes in 2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Gradius wrote: »
    2021?

There will be mass civil disobedience across the developed world and beyond if it drags that long...the chutes are already appearing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Cerveza wrote: »
    It’s the long term pup couch potatoes that are living the dream who are the so called gloomsters. Thought of them having to have to work again instead of sitting on their hole all day drinking Lidl beer/wine.

Ironically Couch potatoes are most at risk from Covid.

Why the government hasn’t released campaigns to encourage weight loss i can’t understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why the government hasn’t released campaigns to encourage weight loss i can’t understand.

That would involve exercise.

Why there isn't a public effort to improve diet, vit d intake is another mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

There will be one more lockdown post summer if policy stays the same.

When this whole thing started they said that there could be atleast 5 lockdowns, and By God they're determined to get them all in. Damn the Consequences [that they'll never face or pay for]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Gradius wrote: »
    2021?

That's the way its looking alright. Suicides where I live on a weekly basis no media attention whatsoever, swept ala Irish style under the carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

There will be mass civil disobedience across the developed world and beyond if it drags that long...the chutes are already appearing!

No doubt. But looking at things as they are...

A lot of the big brains behind closed doors have anticipated the likelihood of such things. But what they think and what they say are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

That would involve exercise.

Why there isn't a public effort to improve diet, vit d intake is another mystery.

A patient cured is a patient lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I’d agree with this. Can’t see schools back until after paddy’s day. It’s then only a week and 4 school days until Easter. Easter Monday is the 5th so they’ll be back the 6th April.

i think you mean Monday 12th April. School starts again after easter.

Nphet keeping takeaways open during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

serious question here , but does anyone think there could be a huge dearth of marriages and a few years later babies born to correspond with what will be probably 2 full years of opposite sex not interacting much. Nightclubs /pubs shut etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Was mentioned early last year that it would be 4 years until normality would return. Dismissed as rubbish at the time, I’m starting to believe there’s a truth in it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

E mac wrote: »
    Was mentioned early last year that it would be 4 years until normality would return. Dismissed as rubbish at the time, I’m starting to believe there’s a truth in it now.

Since Leo will be at the helm by then he'll want normality back at that stage since we'll be entering the election cycle again.

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    People seem to think an 85 years old persons life has the same value as an 18 year old. Sorry but they don't

Why don't they have the same value, out of curiousity? Do you mean the 18 year old hasn't achieved anything, hasn't paid any tax or contributed to the country and society we have today like the 85 year old did?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    serious question here , but does anyone think there could be a huge dearth of marriages and a few years later babies born to correspond with what will be probably 2 full years of opposite sex not interacting much. Nightclubs /pubs shut etc.

There will, every unmarried person has given up coitus since March 2020.

GazzaL wrote: »
    Great post.

And it's very true that people will never get this time back.

All the moaning. It's a year, not a decade. :rolleyes:

You're forgetting the many people who have stressful jobs, were up their eyes in work and under pressure to keep up with social commitments, etc. are probably delighted with the time out.

I've yet to meet a single person in real life who has complained about the pandemic ruining things, aside from trivial stuff like "can't go to the Cafe now". People are still meeting each other, just at houses instead.

Lots of people not commuting for hours each day.

Still plenty of house parties around the country by those who can't sit at home for a week.

I sometimes wonder who the people are who are suffering from mental health issues. I really don't get that at all. In day-to-day practical terms, feck all has actually changed. If not being able to get your morning expensive coffee is giving you depression then you're in for a hard life, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

You're forgetting the many people who have stressful jobs, were up their eyes in work and under pressure to keep up with social commitments, etc. are probably delighted with the time out.

I've yet to meet a single person in real life who has complained about the pandemic ruining things, aside from trivial stuff like "can't go to the Cafe now". People are still meeting each other, just at houses instead.

Still plenty of house parties around the country by those who can't sit at home for a week.

I sometimes wonder who the people are who are suffering from mental health issues. I really don't get that at all. In day-to-day practical terms, feck all has actually changed. If not being able to get your morning expensive coffee is giving you depression then you're in for a hard life, anyway.

You mustn't meet many people then.

Stressful jobs?

How about the stress of trying to secure the future of a business financially while trying to keep as many people employed as possible, while in some cases also dealing with some employees who subsequently won't work when needed because they don't feel it's worthwhile. Lots of SMEs are getting completely ****ed over by the lockdown policy.

How about the stress of trying to pay a mortgage and provide for your family while being forced out of work?

How about not being able to see family members in person because of the incessant restrictions in Ireland?

Oh but poor Johnny finds his job stressful and his job is much less stressful now that he's able to work from home on full pay! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

well you are very lucky then that in your circle everyone is doing great. that just completely discounts others who are experiencing alot of distress over the pandemic. Just because you dont see a problem doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Must be wonderful to live in a bubble and completely discount peoples experiences of unemployment, domestic abuse, mental illness, isolation, sickness, death - but sure everyone you know is grand and thats the end of the story right...... wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,977 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Cerveza wrote: »
    There will, every unmarried person has given up coitus since March 2020.

No quicker way to give up coitus than getting married :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone vaccinated on this thread?

Imagine you're a nurse and you've had your second jab with the Phizer vaccine which is 94% effective.

You're looking at Ryanair with their 10 euro flights to Spain in August why wouldn't you go?

They have seen it in Isreal already (They had a jump in rates before the 21-day effectiveness kicked in) Once vaccinated people relax they think they are covered but I don't blame them.

I'd happily carry a vaccine card to travel or go to the pub once I've had my jab and get back to normal. This waiting till 80% of the population immune just won't happen, People vaccinated will just break the rules as they are "immune now"

well you are very lucky then that in your circle everyone is doing great. that just completely discounts others who are experiencing alot of distress over the pandemic. Just because you dont see a problem doesnt mean it doesnt exist. Must be wonderful to live in a bubble and completely discount peoples experiences of unemployment, domestic abuse, mental illness, isolation, sickness, death - but sure everyone you know is grand and thats the end of the story right...... wrong

I know loads of people who lost jobs, but they fell into a comfortable unemployment payment, and it's entirely likely their same job will be there eventually anyway.

Sickness/death are issues with the pandemic, and are the reason for the closures, so not sure why you're highlighting that as it goes against your point (i think!?).

And I have worked in a voluntary capacity (short-lived, I'll admit) dealing with domestic abuse issues - no nice loving husband or wife is going to suddenly start abusing their partner because Penney's is closed. Those cases were there all along, and if anything, covid is shining a spotlight on them and helping people to open up about them. The fact that they're getting reported more doesn't mean more wives are battering their husbands, it means they're finally actually reporting it. Which is a good thing.

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Anyone vaccinated on this thread?

Imagine you're a nurse and you've had your second jab with the Phizer vaccine which is 94% effective.

You're looking at Ryanair with their 10 euro flights to Spain in August why wouldn't you go?

They have seen it in Isreal already (They had a jump in rates before the 21-day effectiveness kicked in) Once vaccinated people relax they think they are covered but I don't blame them.

I'd happily carry a vaccine card to travel or go to the pub once I've had my jab and get back to normal. This waiting till 80% of the population immune just won't happen, People vaccinated will just break the rules as they are "immune now"

Pretty sure thats exactly why they said they won't do a daily numbers on vaccinated people, because too many people will see it as a safety net and go back to normal.

They also said it's unsure as to whether or not a vaccine can assist with the spreading of the disease to other people. As with most things so far in this pandemic, its about making choices to help out other people, and thinking about others before yourself.

I'd be disappointed to see a vaccinated nurse hopping on a flight to spain.

I do know of two girls (that I know loosely, if im honest), who decided they were hopping on a plane to head to relatives in the UK over christmas, and then wondered why none of their friends had any time for them, and wouldn't give them lifts to/from the airport. I reckon any nurse who did what you say above, would find the same attitude from their co-workers.

I wouldn't like to be the nurse in the ward that mentions a spanish holiday. I think you'd be looking for a new job, such is how uncomfortable your work life would become.

Advertisement