Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

I know loads of people who lost jobs, but they fell into a comfortable unemployment payment, and it's entirely likely their same job will be there eventually anyway.

Sickness/death are issues with the pandemic, and are the reason for the closures, so not sure why you're highlighting that as it goes against your point (i think!?).

And I have worked in a voluntary capacity (short-lived, I'll admit) dealing with domestic abuse issues - no nice loving husband or wife is going to suddenly start abusing their partner because Penney's is closed. Those cases were there all along, and if anything, covid is shining a spotlight on them and helping people to open up about them. The fact that they're getting reported more doesn't mean more wives are battering their husbands, it means they're finally actually reporting it. Which is a good thing.

you appear to be coming up with a reason for why people shouldn't feel a certain way - which completely invalidates their own personal experiences. This is called Gaslighting my friend. everyone's experiences affects them differently - someone might be doing great on unemployment benefit but someone else who sees their job as their own identity - might completely lose their sense of self. domestic abusers now have all the time in the world to abuse their family when before there may have been some respite. My point is - you are not listening. if someone says they are finding it hard - its not up to you to say well they shouldnt find it hard because my friend has the same experience and they are fine. please have a bit more empathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 hellojoe21

I sometimes wonder who the people are who are suffering from mental health issues. I really don't get that at all. In day-to-day practical terms, feck all has actually changed. If not being able to get your morning expensive coffee is giving you depression then you're in for a hard life, anyway.

You wouldnt be related to john waters by any chance? Like him, you probably dont think depression exists.

We all walk a very fine line pal and consider yourself lucky you "don't get it at all". Maybe try get at least 2 brain cells firing before make making such crass and vacuous comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Lazy people are loving it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

All the moaning. It's a year, not a decade. :rolleyes:

You're forgetting the many people who have stressful jobs, were up their eyes in work and under pressure to keep up with social commitments, etc. are probably delighted with the time out.

I've yet to meet a single person in real life who has complained about the pandemic ruining things, aside from trivial stuff like "can't go to the Cafe now". People are still meeting each other, just at houses instead.

Lots of people not commuting for hours each day.

Still plenty of house parties around the country by those who can't sit at home for a week.

I sometimes wonder who the people are who are suffering from mental health issues. I really don't get that at all. In day-to-day practical terms, feck all has actually changed. If not being able to get your morning expensive coffee is giving you depression then you're in for a hard life, anyway.

What a load of utter ****e talk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Pretty sure thats exactly why they said they won't do a daily numbers on vaccinated people

Because their heads would have been separated from their shoulders for taking their bloody sweet time while still trying to make us think we're all going to die any day now from this thing.

• Advertisement

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Lazy people are loving it

LOL for sure - but even lazy people get bored

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭patnor1011

aido79 wrote: »
    What does a government have to gain by making people wear masks?
    Yes it is crazy conspiracy theory talk. What else would it be?

Government? Nothing much but people selling masks can gain quite a lot.
    You need to realize that a lot of things government does are influenced by someone else. Sometimes we know who may be behind some things sometimes we will never know.

If this thread or topic came to a discussion at summer 2019 - that all pubs, shops, and other venues will be closed and gardai will be giving out fines to people 2km from their home I can guarantee you that anyone talking about that would be crucified as tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy nut.

Anyway, it looks like Italians have enough of it. An estimated 50,000 restaurants and pubs opened in protest against lockdowns.
    Police dispatched to deal with granny killers were sent away from pubs by patrons telling them to go away as technically people are their employer paying their wages through taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

afatbollix wrote: »
    I'd happily carry a vaccine card to travel or go to the pub once I've had my jab and get back to normal. This waiting till 80% of the population immune just won't happen, People vaccinated will just break the rules as they are "immune now"

If you are vaccinated it means that you shouldn't suffer any side effects if you encounter the virus.

I don't think they have proven that it means you can't carry it or spread it. It may only reduce the risk of you doing so.

So countries might still require a clear test until they have finished their own vaccine rollout programmes.

you appear to be coming up with a reason for why people shouldn't feel a certain way - which completely invalidates their own personal experiences. This is called Gaslighting my friend. everyone's experiences affects them differently - someone might be doing great on unemployment benefit but someone else who sees their job as their own identity - might completely lose their sense of self. domestic abusers now have all the time in the world to abuse their family when before there may have been some respite. My point is - you are not listening. if someone says they are finding it hard - its not up to you to say well they shouldnt find it hard because my friend has the same experience and they are fine. please have a bit more empathy

I'm asking you who is finding it hard? Anytime I have heard of hardship it's because people aren't getting their own way.

Everyone I've spoke to (everyone!) has been positive about the situation. You can still do pretty much everything you could do before. I'm struggling to think what has actually changed for the people who are now suffering so much, that has made that happen?

Like look at the current issue with special needs kids and schools.. on one hand the teachers don't want to go near a school because it's too dangerous, which is nonsense, as they were just in schools a few weeks ago and the science says it's safe - the teachers are just milking it for time off.

Then you have the parents who are going mad because the want someone else to mind their child, all the whilst saying they don't just want the teachers back at work so they can act as childminders, but then give reasons the schools should be opened, that directly equate to wanting the teachers to be child-minders.

Then there were the leaving cert students, the ones that literally cried on the radio at the thoughts of going back to school, because they just want the leaving cert cancelled so they don't have to study for it.

You've construction lads ringing radio shows complaining about social distancing issues hoping they'll be closed so they can have the time off.

People working certain retail are giving out that they're considered essential when they shouldn't be, because they'd rather be at home getting the PUP.

Bar staff are "rearing to get back to work" all the time, but yet when pubs were allowed open over christmas most of the staff opted to say 'no thanks' and stayed on the PUP or worked cash in hand.

All the above parties will happily trot out "mental health worsening" to play their own corner.

I have plenty of empathy, but I see a lot of this stuff for what it actually is, rather than what's it's portrayed as being. If you were to believe the constant doom and gloom stories that you read/hear then you'd be wondering how we all haven't been found hanging in our sheds yet. Most people, the vast, vast majority, are doing just fine, and as I've said above, I can't see what has happened in day to day life that has changed much? "essential retail" covers pretty much everything, except clothes.

And as I've already stated about domestic abuse, I don't believe it has actually worsened, the jump in numbers is just because it has been reported more. Which is a good thing. I don't think any relationship was plodding along fine and then just suddenly became abusive because Penney's closed. If it's an issue now, it was an issue all along.

you are not listening

Right back at you..

hellojoe21 wrote: »
    You wouldnt be related to john waters by any chance? Like him, you probably dont think depression exists.

No, I've had severe depressive issues for years. Maybe that's one of the reasons I roll my eyes at people crying out mental health issues because starbucks is closed for a month.

hellojoe21 wrote: »
    Maybe try get at least 2 brain cells firing before make making such crass and vacuous comments.

Can I point out the irony of your post? Or would it be lost on you?

• Advertisement

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Anyway, it looks like Italians have enough of it. An estimated 50,000 restaurants and pubs opened in protest against lockdowns.

Were they not the ones having army trucks carrying the coffins away, as the undertakers had become overwhelmed?

Smart guys.

I'm asking you who is finding it hard? Anytime I have heard of hardship it's because people aren't getting their own way.

Everyone I've spoke to (everyone!) has been positive about the situation. You can still do pretty much everything you could do before. I'm struggling to think what has actually changed for the people who are now suffering so much, that has made that happen?

Like look at the current issue with special needs kids and schools.. on one hand the teachers don't want to go near a school because it's too dangerous, which is nonsense, as they were just in schools a few weeks ago and the science says it's safe - the teachers are just milking it for time off.

Then you have the parents who are going mad because the want someone else to mind their child, all the whilst saying they don't just want the teachers back at work so they can act as childminders, but then give reasons the schools should be opened, that directly equate to wanting the teachers to be child-minders.

Then there were the leaving cert students, the ones that literally cried on the radio at the thoughts of going back to school, because they just want the leaving cert cancelled so they don't have to study for it.

You've construction lads ringing radio shows complaining about social distancing issues hoping they'll be closed so they can have the time off.

People working certain retail are giving out that they're considered essential when they shouldn't be, because they'd rather be at home getting the PUP.

Bar staff are "rearing to get back to work" all the time, but yet when pubs were allowed open over christmas most of the staff opted to say 'no thanks' and stayed on the PUP or worked cash in hand.

All the above parites will happily trot out "mental health worsening" to play their own corner.

I have plenty of empathy, but I see a lot of this stuff for what it actually is, rather than what's it's portrayed as being. If you were to believe the constant doom and gloom stories that you read/hear then you'd be wondering how we all haven't been found hanging in our sheds yet. Most people, the vast, vast majority, are doing just fine, and as I've said above, I can't see what has happened in day to day life that has changed much? "essential retail" covers pretty much everything, except clothes.

And as I've already stated about domestic abuse, I don't believe it has actually worsened, the jump in numbers is just because it has been reported more. Which is a good thing. I don't think any relationship was plodding along fine and then just suddenly became abusive because Penney's closed. If it's an issue now, it was an issue all along.

Right back at you..

you obviously have all the answers and I have no interest in a tit for tat pseudo communication so honestly enjoy your evening but maybe next time you go to the default of cynicism ..try looking at it from another angle.

What a load of utter ****e talk

Great contribution. Very good. Excellent. 5 Stars.

you obviously have all the answers and I have no interest in a tit for tat pseudo communication so honestly enjoy your evening but maybe next time you go to the default of cynicism ..try looking at it from another angle.

I'm putting forward my viewpoint on it. Everyone is gaming it for their own benefit and the mental health card is being overplayed.

Leaving people with genuine mental health issues afraid to mention it because it's being diluted to nonsense.

I'm putting forward my viewpoint on it. Everyone is gaming it for their own benefit and the mental health card is being overplayed.

Leaving people with genuine mental health issues afraid to mention it because it's being diluted to nonsense.

yes true - i'm sure to a certain extent there may be some of that going on.

Were they not the ones having army trucks carrying the coffins away, as the undertakers had become overwhelmed?

Smart guys.

Yes, it appears they know something we dont.
    If you will take some time and study Itallian issue you will find big mortality every year in that region of italy you seen trucks in.
    It is happening there pretty much every year bad flu strain hit them so that is why they have no issue with trying to open it up and live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

Wow... are you for real?
    If you will take some time and study Itallian issue you will find big mortality every year in that region of italy you seen trucks in.
    It is happening there pretty much every year bad flu strain hit them so that is why they have no issue with trying to open it up and live.

come on - they have not had such a high mortality in italy prior to covid. BUT WAIT - you are a anti vaccinator, its just the flu, trump supporter, conspiracy theorist- so its a pretty fruitless to debate anything with u im sure.

yes true - i'm sure to a certain extent there may be some of that going on.

Well that was the point I was trying to get across.

Anyway: I'm heading offline so won't be about to reply again, but wanted to post this to say fair play to you. I may disagree with your stance (generally speaking), but you're at least able to argue your point like an adult (a rarity) and made some sense along the way. Didn't immediately retort with insults or such. Good on you.

I wish you the best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

Lads if you think there is gonna be normality by Summer you must be smoking crack. There are still so many variables. Letter in today's Irish times by an epidemiologist reckons we could be locking down for years to come. Eventually the variants might kill vaccine efficacy and they'll need to be tweaked.

I'm invited to a stag in August abroad. I said I would go but I reckon the chances of it happening are about 2%. Reading also today. Epidemiologists in Germany expect summer 2021 to be much worse than 2020. Seems to have a similar opinion to the guy in Trinity.
    Link:
    https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/interview-with-virologist-christian-drosten-i-am-quite-apprehensive-about-what-might-otherwise-happen-in-spring-and-summer-a-f22c0495-5257-426e-bddc-c6082d6434d5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

All the above parties will happily trot out "mental health worsening" to play their own corner.

Right back at you..
    That bit in bold might actually be one of the most stupid takes I've ever read. You think nothing has changed in people's lives?

come on - they have not had such a high mortality in italy prior to covid. BUT WAIT - you are a anti vaccinator, its just the flu, trump supporter, conspiracy theorist- so its a pretty fruitless to debate anything with u im sure.

It is predictable that people with no argument resort to insults.
    I have taken more vaccines that you can even dream of taking. Vaccination is mandatory in a country I came from. Never said it is just a flu and I do not care who is a president of the USA.
    You do not know me so what you said above actually make you a conspiracy theorist and a bad one too.

It is predictable that people with no argument resort to insults.
    I have taken more vaccines that you can even dream of taking. Vaccination is mandatory in a country I came from. Never said it is just a flu and I do not care who is a president of the USA.
    You do not know me so what you said above actually make you a conspiracy theorist and a bad one too.

ok you win. yay!! congrats . im so sorry when you were linking the mortality rate in italy to the flu that I assumed you were a covid denier. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Government? Nothing much but people selling masks can gain quite a lot.
    You need to realize that a lot of things government does are influenced by someone else. Sometimes we know who may be behind some things sometimes we will never know.

If this thread or topic came to a discussion at summer 2019 - that all pubs, shops, and other venues will be closed and gardai will be giving out fines to people 2km from their home I can guarantee you that anyone talking about that would be crucified as tinfoil hat-wearing conspiracy nut.

Police dispatched to deal with granny killers were sent away from pubs by patrons telling them to go away as technically people are their employer paying their wages through taxation.

So it's all a conspiracy to sell masks?

I will watch with interest to see if cases rise in the part of Italy that those restrictions and pubs are opening in..as far as I know it is only one section of Italy but correct me if I'm wrong.

Qiaonasen wrote: »
    Letter in today's Irish times by an epidemiologist reckons we could be locking down for years to come. Eventually the variants might kill vaccine efficacy and they'll need to be tweaked.

Go **** yourself [the"epidemiologist". Not you Qiaonasen] People are well beyond tired of these lockdowns NOW. No way will people tolerate it for much longer. If there's no attempt at returning to normality this year there will only be more and more revolts. People will only suffer the loss of their livelihoods for so long.

aido79 wrote: »
    So it's all a conspiracy to sell masks?

I will watch with interest to see if cases rise in the part of Italy that those restrictions and pubs are opening in..as far as I know it is only one section of Italy but correct me if I'm wrong.

What is government? It is not something magical. Some deity with higher wisdom or benevolent intentions. It is just a bunch of people who got to decide what they think is the best for us. Sometimes or most of the time they get influenced by someone with their own interest or agenda. Lobbying is just a fancy new name for corruption.
    I am not saying it is a conspiracy to sell masks. It was just a part of what is happening.
    There is more what is going on and it is hard to choose which may be the right approach and which is just empty talk. Like we are still talking about masks when other things are available and nothing is being done we do not want to even try.
    A lot of studies and trials were conducted with for example ivermectin or other even cheaper stuff. How did the Chinese manage to reduce mortality and severity? We know from nearly a year ago that they pretty much burried regions with most outbreaks with truckloads of vitamin c and d.
    Maybe we ought to do what this chap is proposing:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9148549/Conservative-MP-calls-nationwide-rollout-vitamin-D-tablets.html

If it worked in Andalusia where they get quite a lot of sun I would dare to speculate it may work even better over here where the sun is a rare sight.
    And please do not tell me that daily mail is a rag I know that already, the fact is that it happened in other places too.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770157

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/11/3377

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764?via%3Dihub

So take your vitamins, eat healthy food and exercise or walk and covid will be a non-issue in no time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I'm booked to go to Italy this summer and it would take a nuclear war to break out to stop me from going. Honestly if things like restaurants are still closed by then in Italy I can always get takeaway from somewhere and eat it on a bench yes possibly not ideal but the weather will be warm.

GT89 wrote: »
    I'm booked to go to Italy this summer and it would take a nuclear war to break out to stop me from going

I feel the same way. I'm supposed to go to NY for 2 weeks in June. I'm beyond done with these assholes. Besides we all know these assholes will be going on vacations themselves while telling us to stay home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I'm supposed to go to NY for 2 weeks in June. I'm beyond done with these assholes. Besides we all know these assholes will be going on vacations themselves while telling us to stay home.

Very true wouldn't surprise me if Tony H went off on holidays when he went off for a couple of months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

What is government? It is not something magical. Some deity with higher wisdom or benevolent intentions. It is just a bunch of people who got to decide what they think is the best for us. Sometimes or most of the time they get influenced by someone with their own interest or agenda. Lobbying is just a fancy new name for corruption.
    I am not saying it is a conspiracy to sell masks. It was just a part of what is happening.
    There is more what is going on and it is hard to choose which may be the right approach and which is just empty talk. Like we are still talking about masks when other things are available and nothing is being done we do not want to even try.
    A lot of studies and trials were conducted with for example ivermectin or other even cheaper stuff. How did the Chinese manage to reduce mortality and severity? We know from nearly a year ago that they pretty much burried regions with most outbreaks with truckloads of vitamin c and d.
    Maybe we ought to do what this chap is proposing:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9148549/Conservative-MP-calls-nationwide-rollout-vitamin-D-tablets.html

If it worked in Andalusia where they get quite a lot of sun I would dare to speculate it may work even better over here where the sun is a rare sight.
    And please do not tell me that daily mail is a rag I know that already, the fact is that it happened in other places too.
    https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770157

https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/11/3377

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0960076020302764?via%3Dihub

So take your vitamins, eat healthy food and exercise or walk and covid will be a non-issue in no time.

I'm not going down that New World Order rabbit hole. This isn't a conspiracy theory thread.

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a bit of extra vitamin D. Taking too much vitamin D is actually quite dangerous so maybe that's why it's not recommended.

Invermectin hasn't been proven effective as far as I know but I'm open to correction.

Maybe have a look at the measures taken by the Chinese during lockdowns and you will see just how soft Irish lockdowns are. You realise they sealed the doors of people's homes? Can you imagine if the government tried that here?

Advertisement