Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I said it when they cancelled St. Patrick's day that the wannabe dictator would be on a plane to DC in March to meet with Biden.

I actually think it's imporant for him to go to Washington, but at the same time, it's a complete joke that St. Patrick's Day is going ahead everywhere else in the world apart from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭BredonWimsey

GazzaL wrote: »
    I actually think it's imporant for him to go to Washington, but at the same time, it's a complete joke that St. Patrick's Day is going ahead everywhere else in the world apart from Ireland.

yeah thats a joke all right. :mad: why is it so strict here compared to elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Is it though? So will there be parades and people in the streets on the UK, USA, Brazil? Especially since Brazil has postponed the Rio de janerio carnival.
    Not sure your correct there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

tom1ie wrote: »
    Is it though? So will there be parades and people in the streets on the UK, USA, Brazil? Especially since Brazil has postponed the Rio de janerio carnival.
    Not sure your correct there tbh.

I doubt the above.

But then again https://www.sydneystpatricksday.com/

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I doubt the above.

But then again https://www.sydneystpatricksday.com/

Yes Australia, as we know, is different. They have reduced the virus internally and have strict quarantine.

I still think the mood is far too pessimistic. I think we will de below 1000 cases by end of next week and in the hundreds by March. With summer and vaccines I can see an end to this by this year. Its important to use the summer to vaccinate so the seasonality is broken next autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Yes, because tending to an ill family member means that you've loads of time for vacation.

So? Many people lost loved ones in hospital or nursing homes through out all of his lockdowns. And they didn't get a chance to see them or say goodbye to them as they breathed their least breath. Why should he get a pass? He keeps "recommending" these restrictions. Its not asking too much for him and others in Govt to follow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So? Many people lost loved ones in hospital or nursing homes through out all of his lockdowns. And they didn't get a chance to see them or say goodbye to them as they breathed their least breath. Why should he get a pass? He keeps "recommending" these restrictions. Its not asking too much for him and others in Govt to follow them.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that is quite possibly the nastiest post I have ever read on boards.ie

Unless I am misunderstanding you, that is quite possibly the nastiest post I have ever read on boards.ie

come on Mr. Trump how is this "nasty":cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

come on Mr. Trump how is this "nasty":cool:

ah its pretty ****ty alright!

tom1ie wrote: »
    ah its pretty ****ty alright!

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

It is important for him to go to Washington for brand Ireland.
    I think its brilliant that this tiny little country has its annual day celebrated in other countries even in the midst of all this. Be proud of that, we'll get though this even if we cannot celebrate our Irishness at home this year, the Irish spirit cannot and will not be beaten worldwide.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Supercell wrote: »
    I think its brilliant that this tiny little country has its annual day celebrated in other countries even in the midst of all this. Be proud of that, we'll get though this even if we cannot celebrate our Irishness at home this year, the Irish spirit cannot and will not be beaten worldwide.

Ole ole...

Supercell wrote: »

I think Biden is well aware of brand Ireland his ancestors are from here and he quotes irish poetry all the time.

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    Cant visit friends, retail closed, cant go hiking as outside 5km, cant have a few pints, cant go nightclubs, cant go concerts, cant go sports events, cant go gym, cant travel abroad, can visit my granny through a window, working from home(I miss the social aspect of physically been in the office and the craic), can't even go on holidays in Ireland, cant go beach for a walk.

I really think that KKV lad is a troll.

Those are all temporary, and are examples of the rules being taken to extremes (which very few people seem to have been doing).

Cant visit friends - you can.
    retail closed - very, very few shops are actually closed.
    cant go hiking as outside 5km - only in level 5, which has been temporary.
    cant have a few pints - you can
    cant go gym - you can with a few minor times they've closed
    cant travel abroad - you can.
    can visit my granny through a window - reasonable compromise.
    working from home - a handful having it forced on them.
    can't even go on holidays in Ireland - only during level 5, been enforced temporarily.
    cant go beach for a walk - only temporarily, it's been on/off.

Of your entire list, the only things you really cant actually do are nightclubs, concerts, and sports events. Will likely be a full year without them, which is hardly the end of the world. Many events are still being televised.

People are acting like the strictest of strict restrictions have been in place all the time from the word go, which isnt true. People have had to make compromises. I've been down work (significantly - im a photographer so the business is practically gone, albeit i know it'll come back) and things i want to do are being hindered. But people are acting like they've been locked in their attic by the government and not allowed leave.

Those are all temporary, and are examples of the rules being taken to extremes (which very few people seem to have been doing).

cant go hiking as outside 5km - only in level 5m which has been on/off.
    cant go gym - you can with a few minor times theyve closed
    can't even go on holidays in Ireland - during level 5, been enforced on and off.

Of your entire list, the only things you really cant actually do are nightclubs, concerts, and sports events. Will likely be a full year without them, which is hardly the end of the world.

People are acting live the strictest of strict restrictions have been in place all the time from the word go, which isnt true.

what list of regulations are you looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Just to be clear..you do understand he spent the time at home with his terminally ill wife don't you?
    What restrictions do you think he didn't follow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

aido79 wrote: »
    Those 8 million people are all looking for hospital beds at the same time.

22k a day would take up a lot of hospital beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

22k a day would take up a lot of hospital beds.

That should have said they aren't looking for a bed at the same time.

Most people who die from smoking don't die in hospitals either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

While I hope his sick relative gets better soon, He should either follow the restrictions he's demanding the rest of us follow or step down and let someone else advice the Govt so he can care for his family member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

cant go hiking as outside 5km - only in level 5, which has been temporary.
    cant go gym - you can with a few minor times they've closed
    can't even go on holidays in Ireland - only during level 5, been enforced temporarily.

Of your entire list, the only things you really cant actually do are nightclubs, concerts, and sports events. Will likely be a full year without them, which is hardly the end of the world. Many events are still being televised.

People are acting like the strictest of strict restrictions have been in place all the time from the word go, which isnt true. People have had to make compromises. I've been down work (significantly - im a photographer so the business is practically gone, albeit i know it'll come back) and things i want to do are being hindered. But people are acting like they've been locked in their attic by the government and not allowed leave.

Well there happening right now arnt they and more than likely till the end of March.

It's also the the not knowing of what's going to happen six months down the line .

I don't know if your intentionally trolling but if it keeps going the way it is some businesss will have to call it a day.

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    I don't know if your intentionally trolling but if it keeps going the way it is some businesss will have to call it a day.

I'm curious about that aswell.

I'm a sole trader (photographer - so I work alone, don't have employees, etc.) but other than a few rare examples, I don't see how businesses are going to call it a day.

A 70 year old pub owner, will have his business closed on him, and will be too old to get the PUP money - that to me is a legitimate case of someone being nailed to the wall. Especially early on.

However, there are lots of business supports introduced.

Read this page, and tell me how a business isn't able to cope?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/supports_for_businesses_covid19.html#

There are schemes and grants galore to keep things ticking over.

For example, you run a cafe, with 10 employees. Covid hits and you're closed for sit-in. You're selling coffee out a window, so you only need 2 employees. Revenue will subsidise those wages, and the other 8 will claim the PUP.

Your rates have been waived, tax put on hold and Revenue will give you up to 20k a month to keep you ticking over. That's before you look at the other auxiliary payments, grants and loan schemes, such as paying towards the installation of plastic screens and such.

The only thing that doesn't work in favour of the Cafe, or at least not publicly, are repayments on any loans to banks, but assuming your finances aren't a disaster to begin with, you can generally put that on hold for a while, too.

Everyone's saying their business is going to the wall, but no one is giving specific examples. It's all very vague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

I'm a sole trader (photographer - so I work alone, don't have employees, etc.) but other than a few rare examples, I don't see how businesses are going to call it a day.

A 70 year old pub owner, will have his business closed on him, and will be too old to get the PUP money - that to me is a legitimate case of someone being nailed to the wall. Especially early on.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/self_employment/supports_for_businesses_covid19.html#

For example, you run a cafe, with 10 employees. Covid hits and you're closed for sit-in. You're selling coffee out a window, so you only need 2 employees. Revenue will subsidise those wages, and the other 8 will claim the PUP.

Your rates have been waived, tax put on hold and Revenue will give you up to 20k a month to keep you ticking over. That's before you look at the other auxiliary payments, grants and loan schemes, such as paying towards the installation of plastic screens and such.

The only thing that doesn't work in favour of the Cafe, or at least not publicly, are repayments on any loans to banks, but assuming your finances aren't a disaster to begin with, you can generally put that on hold for a while, too.

Everyone's saying their business is going to the wall, but no one is giving specific examples. It's all very vague.

You really don't have any idea how its actually affecting business's do you?

Go out and speak to some and come back here. You think these grants cover what they were taking a week minus the staff payments of on people pup.

Please enter the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭patnor1011

quokula wrote: »
    People were saying that a month ago about how things had better return to normality by Christmas. They did, and look what happened. Yet a month later so many people don't seem to have learned a single thing.

Things will return to normal when returning to normal won't kill thousands of people. I'm hopeful vaccines will get us there in a reasonable timeframe, and before that the advent of warmer weather and brighter days allowing for more outdoor activities, good compliance with the current lockdown bringing community levels back down to a manageable amount, and ever increasing levels of vaccination will get us back to a reasonable place in Summer, where we can have a lot of freedom while keeping sensible rules on social distancing, mask wearing etc, as we did last Summer.

But it should all be 100% based on infection levels in the community and our ability to manage them. Not because some idiots have decided they've had enough and they don't care how many other people they kill just so they can have a selfish pint or whatever.

This mindset is exactly what is wrong with the country. Our health system was largely not functioning and elderly sick people died everyday from trivial things like cold or flu even before covid so what risk are we actually talking about?
    What do we help with staying locked and restricted?
    No offense intended but people like you who are happy to do their bit and help with some imaginary unattainable goal every time they are asked not questioning why it did not work before. Lockdown one two three four... There will be no shortage of yesman for lockdown six seven and so on. Because there is always the handy excuse that we have to repeat it because there are still some evil people who break rules. All the while answere is quite simple - restrictions do not work no matter how many personnel or money or threats you throw at it. It did not work with anything. Prohibition in USA, drug wars, prostitution.... Worldwide pandemic scare does not work anymore as it is lethal to about 0.01% of people under 60 who contract it. Older people should be sheltered and protected or have a choice to go on without it but all this is about people. We do not fare good in isolation and being restricted. That is what prisons are for not general population.
    I am definition of vulnerable yet I work and go around my daily routine as I can not imagine what I would do locked down in my house for a week not to mention 10 months with no end in sight.
    So no, in my opinion and in opinion of hundreds of people I come in contact daily 2021 will not be write off. People will assess risk themselves and when there will be enough of those who are sick of current climate a change will come. It is happening in other countries right now and it will come here too. It is a matter of time as people are not predisposed to live in isolation and fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭patnor1011

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    To believe that the Chinese lockdown was so effective one would have to believe that the infection and deaths figures reported by the Chinese authorities were true.

Nothing which comes out of China is true. The fact however is that life there appears to be normal while we are locking whole countries.
    Perhaps the Chinese come to terms that old and sick people are going to die one day anyway and the country cant stay still waiting for what exactly?
    We threw billions of money and decades of research on flu vaccines and can't "manage" it - we only try to guess which strain is going to hit us next year so some posts like we got a vaccine and we will be grand if few months sounds ridiculously funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

aido79 wrote: »
    That should have said they aren't looking for a bed at the same time.

Most people who die from smoking don't die in hospitals either.

Where is the data to back up this assertion?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

It’s not very vague. It’s just you not understanding. In order to qualify for the CRSS payment which pays businesses a maximum of 10% of their pre Covid turnover, only turnover associated with a “premises” qualifies. Revenue have a very narrow definition of “premises”.
    Adventure centres, caravan parks, surf schools, riding centre, boat tours, bus tours etc etc etc are completely excluded.
    If you go from running a small business with, for example a turnover of €250k a year, a €350 a week PUP payment, although welcome, is not even going to repay your business loans never mind keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

That is the reality.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

We will eventually 'open back up', when, god knows.

My true fear is that the story and goal will once again change and they'll say: You still spread CV when vaccinated so we will maintain some restrictions indefinitely. And that will will be blindly accepted by the vast majority of the public without any debate.

Time will tell.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    That is the reality.

It's not. Many schemes are available to those businesses to cover their running costs. I know an owner of a coach company directly who benefits from them.

I had a long reply written out, with real-life examples, but I've just deleted it as I can't be bothered arguing back and forth. I am not sure why - but posters here seem determined to be on the doom and gloom side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't know all I know is I haven't been out of the house since the last day of freedom before this January lockdown. I stuck by the last two lockdowns also except the last week or two of the first lockdown(can't remember which) and I got so fed up being in the house I decided to bring my dog with me to a park in my local town over the 5kms from my house and was stopped by a right fúcking scumbag of a garda, pure thick head on the cúnt. The way he went on you'd think I was out and about each day of lockdown.

Advertisement