Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I wouldn't be too confident in planning a sun holiday in the spring or early summer given the proposals set out by the EU Commission today.

Tough restrictions on travel within EU proposed amid fears over Covid variants
    All travellers leaving Ireland for other EU states should have a negative Covid-19 test before departure, and go into quarantine on arrival as well, under new proposals laid out by the European Commission.

That's aside from the fact that my employer expects all overseas visitors to take two weeks annual leave upon their return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

So I've just paid a ship load of money for tickets for a concert in the RDS on June 30th 2021.
    The cynic in me thinks that this is is a ploy by the organiser to get a couple of million in the bank for a few months, knowing there is no chance that this outdoor concert with 20000+ people will go ahead.
    Any opinions Boardsies, might this concert go ahead in late June 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Locking people in their homes for months is going to drive people nuts.

I'm driven nuts already. I was counting down this month as originally the level 5 was suppose to end after January but obviously that has changed.

This month has been extremely slow and still nearly a full week left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

JMNolan wrote: »
    If the vulnerable are vaccinated then lockdowns are over.

Ha, looks like they're the very ones that can't be vaccinated.

Gas craic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

I wouldn't be too confident in planning a sun holiday in the spring or early summer given the proposals set out by the EU Commission today.

Tough restrictions on travel within EU proposed amid fears over Covid variants

That's aside from the fact that my employer expects all overseas visitors to take two weeks annual leave upon their return.

Baffling why someone without covid (ie Negative test) should quarantine for 14 days.
    I mean ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deandean wrote: »
    So I've just paid a ship load of money for tickets for a concert in the RDS on June 30th 2021.
    The cynic in me thinks that this is is a ploy by the organiser to get a couple of million in the bank for a few months, knowing there is no chance that this outdoor concert with 20000+ people will go ahead.
    Any opinions Boardsies, might this concert go ahead in late June 2021?

I imagine it's the Hella Mega tour you bought those tickets for

Have a ticket for that myself and was very excited at the prospect of it finally happening this year but very unlikely it will now. Far too much issues not just in Ireland but all over Europe. Visa issues (esp for the UK), crew, gear etc would have to be sorted. More than likely this and other summer tours will be rescheduled to 2022

Id love to see a return of concerts after the summer. I'd be over the bloody moon if they return before then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Come April when the sunshine comes along the Irish will undo this Lockdown all over again

We can't help ourselves with socializing like it's 2019 during a pandemic and it's laughable

Lockdown --> Restrictions lifted --> Irish behave like 8,000 cases in a day never happened --> Lockdown --> Restrictions lifted --> Irish behave like 8,000 cases in a day never happened --> Lockdown ...

Rinse and repeat till we hit 70/80% of the country vaccinated

You went and jinxed it now. Bet there won't be any sunshine in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    We did pretty well last summer to be fair. 50 cases a day.

Outdoor socializing should be encouraged with the long nights and warm weather. You cant do that in winter.

Wet pubs with beer gardens will definitly be open.

That’s because of the very impressive buy in to the first lockdown. That’s not going to ever happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Baffling why someone without covid (ie Negative test) should quarantine for 14 days.
    I mean ffs.

The New Zealand case this week had two negative tests during their 14 days quarantine after foreign travel, but ended up testing positive for the South African variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Ara **** this.
    Sorry everyone but I'm going on a ****in rant.
    Booked flights to come home for Christmas, listened to the government and I cancelled.
    Rebooked the flights for the end of February.
    Ryanair cancels those flights and offers a change.
    Changed the flight and the government asks for a test which is another cost on entry plus nothing opened anyway.
    How much longer is this going to go on? You've riots around Europe and I know that they are planning it in Warsaw now as well.
    ****. Right. Off.

March the 5th. This absolutely crazy.

All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....All internet no play makes me go crazy....

At least it's cold enough for me to freeze to death out the back garden.

To go along with my post above I have a picture of myself. I should really start cutting the pounds down.

142025406_10159127629679914_1043118277183585919_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=5QfnZ-eGIUkAX_a9GFn&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c9378a028ecfa4787bdfa4f580c3c2cc&oe=6035A6AE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

At least it's cold enough for me to freeze to death out the back garden.

lol

To go along with my post above I have a picture of myself. I should really start cutting the pounds down.

142025406_10159127629679914_1043118277183585919_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=5QfnZ-eGIUkAX_a9GFn&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c9378a028ecfa4787bdfa4f580c3c2cc&oe=6035A6AE

Sure look

at the end of the day our overlords decided that Gyms are non essential but you can go to your local takeaway and stuff your face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I imagine it's the Hella Mega tour you bought those tickets for......
    Aah Jeez here's Leo lastnight:

Government hoping for things to be 'much better' from April - but no large gigs on the cards this summer
    In terms of concerts or large outdoor events in the summer, one government source said “no chance”.

stating that that they were surprised to see the current high level of advertising for gigs.

They added that it is hoped the country can hold outdoor events or gatherings of around 50 people this summer.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The New Zealand case this week had two negative tests during their 14 days quarantine after foreign travel, but ended up testing positive for the South African variant.

She picked it up in the quarantine hotel they made her stay at!!!

Which again to my point shows how ****ing stupid it is to quarantine healthy people, and beyond particularly stupid to lock them in a hotel with high risk people, as what happened there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Which again to my point shows how ****ing stupid it is to quarantine healthy people
    They don't know who's infected...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

patnor1011 wrote: »
    All the while answere is quite simple - restrictions do not work
    What is your definition of "working"? Covid cases, hospitalisations, and deaths come down with a lockdown - as intended..

Ficheall wrote: »
    They don't know who's infected...

After tests? Really? Someone should tell them not to bother testing so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

ah well I'm sure NZ will get it under control quick enough, luckily the lady used the QR app in all 30 locations so they have only 15 close contacts to monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

What is your definition of "working"? Covid cases, hospitalisations, and deaths come down with a lockdown - as intended..

Need to take a new Zealand approach but government to spineless. All down to money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭patnor1011

bear1 wrote: »
    Ara **** this.
    Sorry everyone but I'm going on a ****in rant.
    Booked flights to come home for Christmas, listened to the government and I cancelled.
    Rebooked the flights for the end of February.
    Ryanair cancels those flights and offers a change.
    Changed the flight and the government asks for a test which is another cost on entry plus nothing opened anyway.
    How much longer is this going to go on? You've riots around Europe and I know that they are planning it in Warsaw now as well.
    ****. Right. Off.

There are riots on the way in Netherlands for the third day and night and spreading to more and more cities there. This will spread to more countries and eventually come here too. It happened many times in history. People endure a lot but not endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yes, 2021 looks like it'll be just as ****, if not more so than 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭patnor1011

This is very oversimplified view.
    Covid cases - that number means nothing as absolute majority does not develop symptoms or disease. Also to this day it was not confirmed that evil non-symptomatic carriers contribute to any great spread of virus.
    Those who develop symptoms usually try to stay home and cure themselves if they are in tiny minority who get it hard they eventually end up in hospital.
    Hospitals were overwhelmed for as long as I remember. I was waiting over a year to see consultant which resulted in me nearly signing off having to go through 3 surgeries in a week. For a problem which would be treatable in a day ward if spotted earlier.
    Deaths go down in summer and go up in winter covid or not. What do you think is going to happen if we decide to "open" again? Hospitals most likely collapse due to surge of everything which was "postponed" for nearly a year. All those waiting lists did not miraculously disappear - they will only get bigger and longer resulting in more death and misery but handily we can blame it on covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭uli84

titan18 wrote: »
    Yes, 2021 looks like it'll be just as ****, if not more so than 2020

Agreed, in 2020 at least January and February were normal

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

bunnyboxer wrote: »
    Need to take a new Zealand approach but government to spineless. All down to money.

Why is New Zealand still used nearly a year into this mess ? New Zealand has advantages we in Ireland don’t have. They are in the arse end of nowhere geographically and can control who comes in or out of their country. We can’t do that to the same degree. And even if we could the DUP are against an all island strategy for stupid ****ing reasons which unless we have both sides of the border in full harmony we can’t do what New Zealand did.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I see you lost a couple of stone and have finally started to look after yourself!

Looking far better than before corona!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why is New Zealand still used nearly a year into this mess ? New Zealand has advantages we in Ireland don’t have. They are in the arse end of nowhere geographically and can control who comes in or out of their country. We can’t do that to the same degree. And even if we could the DUP are against an all island strategy for stupid ****ing reasons which unless we have both sides of the border in full harmony we can’t do what New Zealand did.

Then all Ireland or all Ireland+Britain strategy. There is your New Zealand problem solved. Everything else is politics that are placed above both people's lives, and hopes to get our of these lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Government really giving us plenty to look forward to for 2021

Even if the entire adult population is vaccinated by September they're still on about restrictions for the rest of the year

Good luck to them selling that to people

Advertisement