Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Country is gone to a shambles. Mehole rambles on and says nothing. Leo seems a bit defensive and sour at the moment. Still displays more leadership
    than Mehole. Green Party fella is sleepy as usual.

Egg head is just a headache of a man. Claire Byrne has sold her soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    its the peoples own fault, they only have themselves to blame! If they cant think for themselves and use this amazing thing called the internet! hard to believe rte and the irish government dont censor it!

I think there will be massive unrest when it dawns on people here that the U.K. variant changed all the rules and that continuous lockdown save fir a comprehensive vaccine program is the only option.

There will be no “ reopening “ in the face of the transmissibility of the variant ,

An the vaccine program is now holed below the waterline due to the reliance on the Astra vaccine fir community vaccine programs.

Skipduke wrote: »
    Country is gone to a shambles. Mehole rambles on and says nothing. Leo seems a bit defensive and sour at the moment. Still displays more leadership
    than Mehole. Green Party fella is sleepy as usual.

Egg head is just a headache of a man. Claire Byrne has sold her soul.

Clair Byrne is a joke never questions the party line , pushes project fear. Etc. Women had no place on a radio show complete Patsy

Varadkars comments over the last 24hrs have been disgraceful. Looks like we are destined to rolling lockdowns for at least 12 months. Deflating that we are run by people incapable of thinking outside of the box because they are afraid it will make them look bad for previous attempts at reopening. Depressing time to be living here.

He’s actually being realistic. The vaccine program is a mess and the gov knows this. It’s will be well into 2022 before we have enough people vaccinated to relax

The U.K. variant will not allow us out of lockdown this side of a comprehensive vaccine program and that’s now 2022

It won’t be a rolling lockdown this current one will continue as is for 2021

He has written off proper border controls while failing to mention vaccines will take effect here and elsewhere . should anyone arrive to Ireland with covid say next year when borders reopen it should be much easier to trace isolate and stamp out.
    While normal life will have been resumed for those living here.
    Condemning us to yoyo lockdowns is farcical at this point.

What is the alternative.

The only alternative is to rapidly expand hospital capacity and then see how much illness we can withstand.

If you don’t have the balls for that then there is no option in the face of the variant , but to confine the population indefinitely, until “ you hope” the vaccine program will reduce illness. ( that’s now at least 2022)

There are no other options.

We can’t do a NZ we are a year too late.

Border controls are a placebo discussion. We have 10000 lorry drivers movements a week into an out of the country , plus other essential travellers etc.

None of this can be halted , so talking about sealing the country is entirely misleading

• Advertisement

Everyone who disagrees with me is a brainwashed sheep. :rolleyes:
    If we have 80% of the adult population vaccinated and double digit cases per day then good luck if you think any kind of restrictions will be adhered to.

Just because someone is willing to put up with restrictions for now doesn't mean they will indefinitely. I know a lot of people like to think they're the only ones who are cool enough to see that the government (for some reason they can't explain) want us all miserable and not working and destroying the economy but guess what, you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

BoatMad wrote: »
    He’s actually being realistic. The vaccine program is a mess and the gov knows this. It’s will be well into 2022 before we have enough people vaccinated to relax

The U.K. variant will not allow us out of lockdown this side of a comprehensive vaccine program and that’s now 2022

It won’t be a rolling lockdown this current one will continue as is for 2021

I’ve taken a bit of a break from this onnishambles the last few days.
    Can you explain why this will continue into 2022? (I don’t doubt you by the way)
    Is it because the Az vaccine is gonna be in short supply?

tom1ie wrote: »
    I’ve taken a bit of a break from this onnishambles the last few days.
    Can you explain why this will continue into 2022? (I don’t doubt you by the way)
    Is it because the Az vaccine is gonna be in short supply?

The transmissibility of the U.K. variant is such that even modest relaxations will send numbers skyrocketing ( the doubling factor is 7-14 days compared to 30plus for the original variant )

This means there can be no meaningful relaxation because numbers will just shoot up

Hence it can only come from vaccination

Ireland has no independent source of vaccine supply ( the U.K. does )

Astra are now contractually over committed due to EMA delaying approval. Hence the 60 % reduction in supplies

This has derailed our( pedestrian vaccine programme ) it will now be mid 2022 before we have enough vaccinated to relax anything.

Moderna is tied to the US and Johnson is months away

As the population gets more and more restless the police state will become a reality ( it now is )

The transmissibility of the U.K. variant is such that even modest relaxations will send numbers skyrocketing ( the doubling factor is 7-14 days compared to 30plus for the original variant )

This means there can be no meaningful relaxation because numbers will just shoot up

Astra are now contractually over committed due to EMA delaying approval. Hence the 60 % reduction in supplies

This has detail our( pedestrian vaccine programme ) it will now be mid 2022 before we have enough vaccinated to relax anything.

So what's the number per week you think we won't be able to get above for vaccination.
    As the population gets more and more restless the police state will become a reality ( it now is )
    Ah right, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

This has derailed our( pedestrian vaccine programme ) it will now be mid 2022 before we have enough vaccinated to relax anything.

Eh.... I think I’ll go back to taking a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some people want to have Ireland as a long term open prison.

So what's the number per week you think we won't be able to get above for vaccination.

Ah right, of course.

We had planned on 100000 a week based on 100% Astra deliveries. That’s now cut to 40%

Do the maths Approx 2 million adults , two jabs ,40000 a week. .( ie 20000 people ) .,,,,,

And if you don’t think police handing out movement fines isn’t a police state , I’m not sure what sort of civil state you feel is appropriate

RobertKK wrote: »
    Some people want to have Ireland as a long term open prison.

Not that open, more a kind of 5km long oberstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

As downbeat as the these new measures are, the part I find most galling is the media reports stating that all Opposition parties are saying the restrictions aren't, well, restrictive enough! (e.g. Sinn Fein, Labour, the looney left..)

The damn political class have lost their marbles I think. Is one one saying "hang on, maybe these lockdowns aren't really effective anymore because we've long since exhausted the population and there's no more 'buy-in'?"

Europeans should have never let their Guillotines get rusty.

We had planned on 100000 a week based on 100% Astra deliveries. That’s now cut to 40%

Do the maths Approx 2 million adults , two jabs ,40000 a week. .( ie 20000 people ) .,,,,,
    Have we used all the Pfizer ones we're ever going to get?
    And if you don’t think police handing out movement fines isn’t a police state , I’m not sure what sort of civil state you feel is appropriate
    Aye, and I shouldn't have to wear a seatbelt.

tom1ie wrote: »
    Eh.... I think I’ll go back to taking a break.

Yes it’s depressing

This is why people like leo are trying to let the cat out of the bag. He knows what the truth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

once majority of vulnerable are vaccinated nobody will buy in anymore. whats to stop us all going on the piss to liverpool or belfast every weekend come june?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    once majority of vulnerable are vaccinated nobody will buy in anymore. whats to stop us all going on the piss to liverpool or belfast every weekend come june?

If the numbers are low, that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I think once vaccination hits over 60s deaths and ICU numbers will plummet and thats the end game, we will live with the odd 40 somethig getting covid and dying even into 50s . they will be few and far between , nobody wabts to say that. once ICU isnt on its kneees then every man for himself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

I'm certainly not staying at home in the rain this year in some overpriced hotel and you couldnt even go anywhere or have a drink without ordering food thats not a holiday its misery, ill get the PCR test and isolate if necessary but i very badly need a sun holiday as im sure many do, sick of this constant daily misery and come the summer im 100% going hell or high water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

People want a meaningful Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

Aye, and I shouldn't have to wear a seatbelt.

Being contained in your home except to make "essential" shopping/medical journeys or to exercise within a 5k perimeter otherwise being stopped, questioned, and issued a fine by the police.

This is the same thing as seatbelt laws.

Good point my guy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

As downbeat as the these new measures are, the part I find most galling is the media reports stating that all Opposition parties are saying the restrictions aren't, well, restrictive enough! (e.g. Sinn Fein, Labour, the looney left..)

The damn political class have lost their marbles I think. Is one one saying "hang on, maybe these lockdowns aren't really effective anymore because we've long since exhausted the population and there's no more 'buy-in'?"

If hotel quarantines were introduced PBP would be complaining they're a breach human rights. Just like they do about direct provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

GT89 wrote: »
    If hotel quarantines were introduced PBP would be complaining they're a breach human rights. Just like they do about direct provision.

Not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

GT89 wrote: »

Speaking of human rights, from the UN Declaration of Human Rights (https://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/):

"Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person."

"No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile."

"(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country."

"(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and association."

I'm guessing they just forgot to include the phrase "unless there's a virus."

People want their lives/livelihoods back. With government sticking with yoyo lockdowns they are yet again writing off many more months of our lives.

It’s all about the spread of the virus as Damien English says. We need to stop the spread of the virus. Can you do a staycation?

Totally agree, hospitality should be open for March but it won’t.

If the numbers are low, that will happen.

If Martin thinks he can extend the lockdown past March 6th and then saunters off to Dc then that will happen this summer one way or another.

He’s actually being realistic.

No he's not. He's repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

This is the same thing as seatbelt laws.

Yeah, those damn seatbelt laws. They never saved any lives. Just lined the pockets of those unscrupulous seat belt manufacturers!

Advertisement