Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah it's a write off, also 22,23,24 and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    If Martin thinks he can extend the lockdown past March 6th and then saunters off to Dc then that will happen this summer one way or another.

If he goes to DC then we should all be on to our local TD’s especially the FF backbencher’s/TD’s because it’s unacceptable that he goes there.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes listening to Martin last Saturday , he’s a defeated man devoid of ideas

Ireland’s toolbox is bare , only increasing harsh lockdowns are the only idea gov has

Astra vaccine issues mean community vaccine program is in tatters. We have no independent control over vaccine supply. U.K. streaming ahead 4x our rate and has full Astra U.K. production behind it.

( we could beg the U.K. to consider letting us get their vaccine I suppose )

We will watch the U.K. emerge from restrictions from March. WhT then the effect here on mental health as we face continuous lockdown through summer ( cause the B117 will simply prevent us from coming out of lockdown )

Without access to large scale ( for us) vaccines we are literally screwed.

Considering there is a land border with the UK, asking the UK if they can be considered for any "extra" vaccines is probably a clever move to get everyone vaccinated as quickly as possible - but the government are too inept to consider using anything not part of the EU wide deal

This is what the UK have ordered
    Which vaccines have the UK ordered? To date, the UK has ordered the following vaccines: Oxford-AstraZeneca – 100 million doses Valneva – 60 million doses Novavax – 60 million doses GlaxoSmithKline 60 million doses Pfizer-BioNTech – 40 million doses Janssen – 30 million doses Moderna – 17 million doses

So with just Oxford, Pfizer and Moderna approved thats 157million doses. The UK population is 67m, thats 134m doses needed - The UK have enough order to vaccinate themselves and Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Edit- rescinded after considering it, as the_dunne points out below it was well over the line into dickish.

Yes, it was. 2020 was a crappy year, the likes of which most of us have never experienced. To portray it as just another year with normal ups and downs is glib and callous. I may never go on a foreign holiday again. I have terminal cancer and could be dead before the lockdown ends. Single people are not getting any opportunity to meet potential partners. Many grandparents still haven’t met their new grandchildren. Many elderly people are way more isolated than they were a year ago. There are likely plenty of people with undetected cancer growing in their bodies through curtailed screenings. No biggie, eh?

BoatMad wrote: »
    It won’t be a rolling lockdown this current one will continue as is for 2021

Thats utterly insane talk. Summer kills the virus anyway, and then we probably need to keep restrictions to the level 1 or 2 in autumn. All we need to do is vaccinate 50% or so, not to reach herd immunity when open but to keep the R value < 1 when partially open.

I am pretty sure we will vaccinate lots of people this year anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

mohawk wrote: »
    If he goes to DC then we should all be on to our local TD’s especially the FF backbencher’s/TD’s because it’s unacceptable that he goes there.

We should be on to them already. These clowns are telling us to stay home but you can bet they'll want their summer holidays as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

No he's not. He's repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

exasctly spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dmn22

Thats utterly insane talk. Summer kills the virus anyway, and then we probably need to keep restrictions to the level 1 or 2 in autumn. All we need to do is vaccinate 50% or so, not to reach herd immunity when open but to keep the R value < 1 when partially open.

I am pretty sure we will vaccinate lots of people this year anyway.

Any evidence that “Summer kills the virus”?

There are plenty of hot countries where the virus is rampant i.e. Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No he's not. He's repeating the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result each time.

That's the definition of insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why not get this into media about UK having ordered enough vaccines for ireland? get it out there let it gro legs and next thing there a FF td claiming he discovered this himself, hell get onto your local tds and tell them heres a golden career ticket

• Advertisement

dmn22 wrote: »
    Any evidence that “Summer kills the virus”?

There are plenty of hot countries where the virus is rampant i.e. Brazil

There is clearly a seasonality to this virus. Have a look at the number of cases in Ireland in June when the country was largely open, just wet pubs and large outdoor gatherings prohibited. Its clearly seasonal. There were 5 cases in Ireland on June 21. Average in June about 10. July maybe 15 or 20. Cases rose again as autumn crept in.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=covid+cases+2020+ireland&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

There is clearly a seasonality to this virus. Have a look at the number of cases in Ireland in June when the country was largely open, just wet pubs and large outdoor gatherings prohibited. Its clearly seasonal. There were 5 cases in Ireland on June 21. Average in June about 10. July maybe 15 or 20. Cases rose again as autumn crept in.

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=covid+cases+2020+ireland&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Well it is a type of flu. Well a virus which afaik a flu is as well. Just far more contagious than a flu.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why not get this into media about UK having ordered enough vaccines for ireland? get it out there let it gro legs and next thing there a FF td claiming he discovered this himself, hell get onto your local tds and tell them heres a golden career ticket

It is in the UK's interest to get Ireland vaccinated, given the CTA and the land border, but would Ireland be able to accept the vaccines from the UK? If Ireland ends up doing a deal with the UK for vaccines, which would be the sensible thing to do, it doesn't reflect well on the EU and Ireland. Is the Irish government strong enough to tell Europe to stick their programme, and do their own thing with the UK vaccines?

tara2k wrote: »
    It is in the UK's interest to get Ireland vaccinated, given the CTA and the land border, but would Ireland be able to accept the vaccines from the UK?

Hungary made a deal to get vaccines from Russia. So we could make a deal with the UK to get vaccines, but Michael and Leo won't do that since 1) It bruises their egos and signals they're not on the ball and 2) They're more interested in being Merkel and the EU's lapdogs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Anyone hear about the bars and restaurants in Italy reopening and defying the restrictions? Hopefully it will happen here apparently 50,000 bars and restaurants opened up.

GT89 wrote: »
    Anyone hear about the bars and restaurants in Italy reopening and defying the restrictions? Hopefully it will happen here apparently 50,000 bars and restaurants opened up.

That's the only way out of this. When we force them to. There's supposed to be an open up event on Saturday. Hopefully it goes well. Otherwise we'll know for sure that the Irish are sheep and will gladly wait for the crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,834 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Otherwise we'll know for sure that the Irish are sheep and will gladly wait for the crumbs.

What does that even mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

o1s1n wrote: »

Tbf, eventually there will be some arbitrary point that we get to and we will open up. Some countries will set the trend about what is permissable with the level of risk we are willing to put up with. Ireland for a lot of cultural reasons are more than likely to be the followers of such a shift.
    I think Irish people don't like to come across to earnest. It's one of the things I've really noticed so any sort of overt defiance just comes across cringeworthy to the established class and we all want to see ourselves as established.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

o1s1n wrote: »

I think that kind of language is what they refer to as "incel community" type of ideas? Unless I misunderstand it.

It is well know that sheep love crumbs. Spend all day they do, going around, looking for crumbs to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

They are doing that here in Poland as well.
    But here it's mostly due to the Government not helping business at all.

• Advertisement

I think that kind of language is what they refer to as "incel community" type of ideas? Unless I misunderstand it.

It is well know that sheep love crumbs. Spend all day they do, going around, looking for crumbs to eat.

sheeple.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

With all the good results from Israel on the vaccine site we could be out of this mess by late summer.

But does anybody have any real confidence that we can source enough vaccines?

bear1 wrote: »
    They are doing that here in Poland as well.
    But here it's mostly due to the Government not helping business at all.

The Govt hasn't really helped businesses here either.

With all the good results from Israel on the vaccine site we could be out of this mess by late summer.

But that anybody have any real confidence that we can source enough vaccines?

Does anybody have any real confidence that the Govt and HSE can vaccinate enough people without another major ****up?

I know we are still waiting on injections but what about poor countries like India and Palestine and other such countries who is going to pay for their injections?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

I know we are still waiting on injections but what about poor countries like India and Palestine and other such countries who is going to pay for their injections?

India will be fine, they're one of the largest Vaccine producers in the world (Serum Institute).

Point remains with other third world countries, which I believe will be given supplies once the richer countries have had their share. This will lead to a delay in global herd immunity unfortunately, but we should be back to a good level of domestic normality in Ireland long before then.

i have no problem staying at level 5 til may 1st. then numbers will be well down and we should have a lot of vulnerable vaxxed. im off the ship then, and will head to tenerife or lanzarote once risk to our vulnerable is down a bit .

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i have no problem staying at level 5 til may 1st. then numbers will be well down and we should have a lot of vulnerable vaxxed. im off the ship then, and will head to tenerife or lanzarote once risk to our vulnerable is down a bit .

May 1st. I 100% hope that is not going to be the case I was counting down January and the month isn't even finished yet and now they are saying March 5th. May is pushing it big time I will crack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I can live with Level 5 for another few weeks if it will be the very very last we ever have to see/be in those restrictions

If we have to watch our European neighbours enjoying their lives with almost everything open and us sitting her twiddling our tumbs with feck all open, ill be very angry

• Advertisement

i dont see what the point is of coming off level 5 sure schools wont open fully til after easter thats april 13th. be better to go to level 3 in may form level 5 and be down to 40-50 cases, we will get down to that of we keep level 5 for 3 full months, imagine most over 70s vaxxed by then too. so deaths will prob never get to high again. like we will be vaxxing everyone under 70 through summer with numbers under 50 cases a day or even down to 20 cases. virus will be completely suppressed and even if it did ramp up in cases , hospitilsations wil be tiny among 18-40 ages that are not vaxxed in june/july/august

Advertisement