Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

aido79 wrote: »

There are towns on the border where you can literally see the nearest town in the North from a town in the Republic. Do you close them off from each and stop people going between them for work or school?

Doesn't seem to concern the authorities here when it comes to county borders.

If John is coming from Scotland in a lorry he has just as much chance of being a carrier of the virus.

Long haul drivers are solitary figures by default, they are less likely to be carrying the virus than somebody who has been on the beer in Lanzarote for 10 days. Or working in London.

What's the point in roadblocks? NI will be fully vaccinated by May.

It will be them block us going across the border if anything.

If anything we will only block the border when the North is doing well enough to return itself to normality before us (retail, pints). I don't think Tony would stand for people crossing the border to enjoy life.

Run that idea past Sinn Fein and see what they think. They might be enlist some volunteers to remove those concrete roadblocks.
    Do you seriously think people along the border would stand for roadblocks after all that's happened along the border in the past?

Well we have stood for having our pubs denied to us on pseudoscience for all but four of the last 10 months.

The Irish are servile saps, I don't see our Northern brethern being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

httpete wrote: »
    Maybe SF have some cop on and are aware we are in the middle of an exceptional pandemic, and that temporary roadblocks are just that..temporary. Just like we had a temporary closure of the border during the foot and mouth crisis and there was no big deal over it. Mary-Lou herself has been calling for the government to take harsher measures on incoming travel and impose mandatory airport quarantine for some time now.

Its not 1985 anymore, and all the political parties in Ireland are very much pro-united Ireland. SF and their supporters would have to be absolutely thick if they viewed temporary road closures as some kind of threat to a future united Ireland. They had the cop on during the foot and mouth crisis to realise it was an exceptional situation, I don't see why things would be any different now.

The only way it will work is if nobody is allowed to cross the border. That's why this approach has worked in New Zealand and Australia. There can be no exceptions. Australia and New Zealand don't have people crossing their borders as part of their daily lives. They don't have truck drivers coming in at all. That's why it's been successful. This approach just doesn't work on a shared island without the cooperation of both governments.

Doesn't seem to concern the authorities here when it comes to county borders.

Long haul drivers are solitary figures by default, they are less likely to be carrying the virus than somebody who has been on the beer in Lanzarote for 10 days. Or working in London.

You know there is no physical difference between a county border and the border between the north and the Republic? Have you ever driven across the border between the North and the Republic?

Long haul drivers will get out of their trucks while they are in other countries so there is just as much chance of them catching covid than a person in Lanzarote(where there are very strict measures in place to ensure it's more or less covid free). You have more chance of catching covid in Longford than Lanzarote.

• Advertisement

Well we have stood for having our pubs denied to us on pseudoscience for all but four of the last 10 months.

The Irish are servile saps, I don't see our Northern brethern being any different.

So you don't believe covid would spread in pubs if they were to open up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭trixi001

httpete wrote: »
    Maybe SF have some cop on and are aware we are in the middle of an exceptional pandemic, and that temporary roadblocks are just that..temporary. Just like we had a temporary closure of the border during the foot and mouth crisis and there was no big deal over it. Mary-Lou herself has been calling for the government to take harsher measures on incoming travel and impose mandatory airport quarantine for some time now.

Its not 1985 anymore, and all the political parties in Ireland are very much pro-united Ireland. SF and their supporters would have to be absolutely thick if they viewed temporary road closures as some kind of threat to a future united Ireland. They had the cop on during the foot and mouth crisis to realise it was an exceptional situation, I don't see why things would be any different now.

There was no border closure during foot and mouth, you just had to drive through the disinfectant stuff and at the main crossings, get out and walk through it too, and the smaller crossings, they were unmanned and had signs asking people to do it.., was completely different scenarios, no one was suggesting you weren't allowed to cross the border for non essential purposes..

I can see the border from my house, and cross it regular - there is at least 3 roads I can take adding less than 2 minutes to the journey to easily avoid the main road..

When travel was restricted to intercounty, a clause was added, or 20km so that those living near a county border could still cross it as it is recognised that life doesn't just happen in your county - eg: Some of Limerick city suburbs are in Co.Clare.

Some Donegal villages are essentially suburbs of Derry..

These bright ideas of closing the border, don't come from people who live near the border, they come from people in Dublin usually!

The only way it will work is if nobody is allowed to cross the border. That's why this approach has worked in New Zealand and Australia. There can be no exceptions. Australia and New Zealand don't have people crossing their borders as part of their daily lives. They don't have truck drivers coming in at all. That's why it's been successful. This approach just doesn't work on a shared island without the cooperation of both governments.

If we only allow truckers, but ban or seriously curtail regular holidaymakers by way of mandatory quanantine, we would be down to 9, 10 cases per day like we had in June. Truckers interact closely with nobody unless they are getting prostitutes on the road. Their contribution to spread will be minimal. Our main drivers of the autumn re seeding was Irish holidaymakers and meat plant workers coming back from Romania.

Quanantine/ allowing only truckers would mean we could have socially distanced pubs, gigs and sporting events with restricted crowds, limits on public transport, essentially a semblance of normality until we are fully vaccinated.

But our clowns won't go for it. Because some of them quite like it like this.

If we only allow truckers, but ban or seriously curtail regular holidaymakers by way of mandatory quanantine, we would be down to 9, 10 cases per day like we had in June. Truckers interact closely with nobody unless they are getting prostitutes on the road. Their contribution to spread will be minimal. Our main drivers of the autumn re seeding was Irish holidaymakers and meat plant workers coming back from Romania.

Quanantine/ allowing only truckers would mean we could have socially distanced pubs, gigs and sporting events with restricted crowds, limits on public transport, essentially a semblance of normality until we are fully vaccinated.

I know a couple of truck drivers who take advantage of the novelty of going for a beer when they're on the continent at the minute so I am not going along with what you're saying.

I actually think rapid testing at the airport is a better option than quarantining. It may not catch all case as can be seen recently in New Zealand but it will definitely help. Telling people to quarantine in their own homes is laughable.

I think you're dreaming if you think there will be events with crowds this year unless the vaccine roll out is very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Maybe because there are at least 220 roads through the border. How do you suggest closing all of them?

Through the magic of policing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Roadblocks would breach the Good Friday agreement. No government will stand over that

bear1 wrote: »
    Through the magic of policing.

Are you actually being serious? Have you any idea how much police resources this would take?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are you actually being serious? Have you any idea how much police resources this would take?

If other countries with boundaries with countries outside the union then couldn't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭landofthetree

However, he admitted that it will take longer for society to get back to normal. “We will stay cautious. I would like to see schools reopen after March 5th. I think we will be back in beer gardens with friends in June and [indoor] pubs towards the autumn but we’ll have one more summer holidaying in Ireland,” he said.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1355165227470483460

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You have more chance of catching covid in Longford than Lanzarote.

I would say that I have precisely equal chance

• Registered Users Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Being vaccinated protects you from the worst effects of the virus.

If everyone in the North is vaccinated, the won't care about people from the Republic, or anywhere else, arriving.

But if people are still "un-vaccinated" in the Republic, they won't necessarily want people coming down from the North - vaccinated or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

AZ approved for everyone over 18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

However, he admitted that it will take longer for society to get back to normal. “We will stay cautious. I would like to see schools reopen after March 5th. I think we will be back in beer gardens with friends in June and [indoor] pubs towards the autumn but we’ll have one more summer holidaying in Ireland,” he said.

https://twitter.com/IrishTimes/status/1355165227470483460

Dictator Tony won't be happy to hear this

bear1 wrote: »
    If other countries with boundaries with countries outside the union then couldn't we?

I'm going to assume you have never been to the border? Do you expect someone to greet you at the border and welcome you to Northern Ireland?

Do you realise there is no physical border between Northern Ireland and the Republic? It is an open border unlike the other countries you may be thinking of.
    When you cross the border the road signs and markings change but other than that you wouldn't even know you've crossed it.

I would say that I have precisely equal chance

Because you won't be in either place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Gael23 wrote: »
    AZ approved for everyone over 18

Now we just have to live long enough to receive it.

I'm going to assume you have never been to the border? Do you expect someone to greet you at the border and welcome you to Northern Ireland?

Do you realise there is no physical border between Northern Ireland and the Republic? It is an open border unlike the other countries you may be thinking of.
    When you cross the border the road signs and markings change but other than that you wouldn't even know you've crossed it.

Indeed. The rest of the EU borders are with Serbia, Turkey, Bosnia, North Macedonia, Montenegro and Russia. Hardly the same as a border with the UK!

(Switzerland is Schengen so doesn’t count)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Well that's just not true. Every Tom dick and Harry went meeting friends at th pub pre Xmas. Then took the bug home to the family.

No one to blame but our own selves on this one.

Reduction in travel would Definitley not hurt but that nonsense of 9-10 a day is some imaginary stuff haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Even with the positive Vaccine news the Government here will still want strong restrictions for the summer just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭bunnyboxer

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Even with the positive Vaccine news the Government here will still want strong restrictions for the summer just incase

They can try but no one will adhere to any restrictions in the summer, including myself if it involves outdoor meetups.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yes, because...... And here's the important part....... They have to actually vaccinate people.

News isn't results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Yes, because...... And here's the important part....... They have to actually vaccinate people.

News isn't results.

We don't need to stay in lockdown or in heavy restrictions for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    We don't need to stay in lockdown or in heavy restrictions for that.

Not level 5 no, and I don't think anyone is arguing for that. but a sliding scale increased vaccinations/decreased restrictions is the most obvious way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Not level 5 no, and I don't think anyone is arguing for that. but a sliding scale increased vaccinations/decreased restrictions is the most obvious way forward.

Vaccine effectiveness is heavily reduced on new strains, Moderna drops to 60% on SA strain.

The risk of allowing it to spread even in low risk is simply we could end up with a strain that we need a new dose for.

That could mean another year of hard lockdowns.

Given that potential, I'd rather we suck it up until we get people vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Advertisement