Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

PTH2009 wrote: »

Isn't The Liberal a terrible source?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A 2 paragraph Liberal article with no links, quotes or sources.....

I would say you're embarrassing yourself at this stage, but you seem to enjoy getting angry at your own misinterpretation of stories, so I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Even with the positive Vaccine news the Government here will still want strong restrictions for the summer just incase

Jokes on them since Michael's trip to DC will most likely open up the flood gates to travelling.

People will get fed up at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Some people wont give in and will support/do what the government say til the very end

Vaccine effectiveness is heavily reduced on new strains, Moderna drops to 60% on SA strain.

The risk of allowing it to spread even in low risk is simply we could end up with a strain that we need a new dose for.

That could mean another year of hard lockdowns.

Given that potential, I'd rather we suck it up until we get people vaccinated.

Screw that. People will only tolerate having their lives on hold for so much longer. Especially if its to cover a bunch of worthless, incompetent idiots in our Govt and Health services. We can barely pay for bills and put food on the table while they can feck off once this is over with their Golden pensions still intact.

If Leo, Michael and Tony had to take the weekly welfare rate of €203 a week for the duration of this you can bet they wouldn't have such a love affair with never ending lockdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I love how a taoiseach doing his job is used as an excuse by muppets to say they'll break covid guidelines.

Given the admin change and current climate this trip may be seen as essential (not me saying it is - assume someone makes a call on these things though)

Put away the little anti Gov hats and take responsibility for yourselves. Irish people sound more like snivelling kids on here than real adults. Sad state of affairs.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Screw that. People will only tolerate having their lives on hold for so much longer. Especially if its to cover a bunch of worthless, incompetent idiots in our Govt and Health services. We can barely pay bills and put food on the table while they feck off once this is over with their Golden pensions still intact.

If Leo, Michael and Tony had to take the weekly welfare rate of €203 a week for the duration of this you can bet they wouldn't have such a love affair with never ending lockdowns.

Ah well.

Jokes on them since Michael's trip to DC will most likely open up the flood gates to travelling.

People will get fed up at some point.

Ah, yeah, I'm flying to New York for Easter if our countries leader does his job.

I'll get turned around at the airport without an esta, but that'll show him.....

I love how a taoiseach doing his job is used as an excuse by muppets to say they'll break covid guidelines.

Given the admin change and current climate this trip may be seen as essential (not me saying it is - assume someone makes a call on these things though)

Put away the little anti Gov hats and take responsibility for yourselves. Irish people sound more like snivelling kids on here than real adults. Sad state of affairs.

He can easily chat with Biden via skype, facetime, whatever. Then he canvisit next year if he bothers to finish vaccinating the Irish population.

Either this virus is too deadly to travel or it isn't. The Govt and media's action consistently contradict their words.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

He can easily chat with Biden via skype, facetime, whatever. Then he canvisit next year if he bothers to finish vaccinating the Irish population.

Either this virus is too deadly to travel or it isn't. The Govt and media's action consistently contradict their words.

Exactly! I can't see my partner who is just 8km away.

He can zoom or FaceTime like the rest of us

• Advertisement

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Is he dating Biden?

I'd argue running a country would classify as an essential worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

If you went for a 4k walk and they went for a 4k walk ye would both be still 1k inside your respective restriction zones:pac:

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Is he dating Biden?

I'd argue running a country would classify as an essential worker.

This trip isn't essential. He cancelled St. Patrick's Day. So in his eyes the day isn't that essential.

If he wants to consider our trips, businesses and jobs "non essential" then its only fare we declare his trips non essential as well.

This trip isn't essential. He cancelled St. Patrick's Day. So in his eyes the day isn't that essential.

If he wants to consider our trips, businesses and jobs "non essential" then its only fare we declare his trips non essential as well.

Cancelled St patricks day? Only 30 days in March this year is there? Or did they cancel the festival?

One of the reasons we don't have mandatory quarantine is because essential workers need to travel.

The second paragraph is just pathetic "the mean man said I can't go to lanzarote, so he shouldn't be allowed leave the house either"

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Cancelled St patricks day? Only 30 days in March this year is there? Or did they cancel the festival?

One of the reasons we don't have mandatory quarantine is because essential workers need to travel.

The second paragraph is just pathetic "the mean man said I can't go to lanzarote, so he shouldn't be allowed leave the house either"

The Nerve of me expecting him to practice what he preaches and follow the exact same restrictions he's forcing us to follow. How horrible of me. :rolleyes: I should be a good sheep and know my place.

The Nerve of me expecting him to practice what he preaches and follow the exact same restrictions he's forcing us to follow. How horrible of me. :rolleyes: I should be a good sheep and know my place.

I think the poster was just pointing out the stupidity of comparing your hols to a man doing his job is all.

But sure hey - keep reinventing things in your own weird way.

As long as your happy. Tough times for all.

I think the poster was just pointing out the stupidity of comparing your hols to a man doing his job is all.

But sure hey - keep reinventing things in your own weird way.

As long as your happy. Tough times for all.

Either its safe to travel or its not. To act like him staying home this year is akin to him declaring war with the US is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

We all know mehole has been building up-to this moment for the last 35 years.... his White House moment. Given the bleak year we had and the impending next few months of restrictions, it would be extremely ignorant of him to travel.

This government has been a PR mess, between leaks, dodging straightforward questions and total incompetence on all matters.

How does one justify paying student nurses 100€ A wk and the trainee guards €170 or something for working full shifts? The utter disrespect for those on the real frontline. Not the keyboard warriors in Goverment HQ. Thankfully RTE always have the governments back, reporters ask questions, but never dig deep enough to force a solid answer.

has the Green Party done anything of note other than impose their backward way of life on the general population ? Currently sitting here, legs up beside my turf fire, might hop in the durtyyyy 3ltr jeep for a spin before it’s all banned. I’ll have to cycle 20k return for milk and bread soon if I can even afford it and get granted extra Km’s by the gods of 5k restriction

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Random 2AM thought.

I'm extremely opposed to lockdowns based on simple evidence and a comparison v.s. the collateral damage it causes across all facets of life. Many more will die from lockdown induced issues than will be saved by lockdowns preventing the spread of CV.

'Lockdown' as an idea presents a unique problem, because I can't protest against it; to do means I have break the law and potentially facilitate the spread of a nasty disease.

I will judge and vote for my TDs based on how they've dealt with the past 12 months, and most likely the next 24 too.

Random 2AM thought.

I'm extremely opposed to lockdowns based on simple evidence and a comparison v.s. the collateral damage it causes across all facets of life. Many more will die from lockdown induced issues than will be saved by lockdowns preventing the spread of CV.

'Lockdown' as an idea presents a unique problem, because I can't protest against it; to do means I have break the law and potentially facilitate the spread of a nasty disease.

I will judge and vote for my TDs based on how they've dealt with the past 12 months, and most likely the next 24 too.

I always hear this statement and have no doubt its true but unless we can fix a numeric to it - its hard to say either way.

I mean we did have a lot of covid deaths there last month to be fair - not sure anywhere near as many died due to restrictions but as i said without a number how could i know.

Thats the way to do it - they can be judged at the next election and rightly so.

• Advertisement

Either its safe to travel or its not. To act like him staying home this year is akin to him declaring war with the US is insane.

No its just a chap doing a job that is important for our country is all - not much else to it.

NO wars hahaha - just a bit of shamrock that helps keep pharma here and support on our side as more brexit mess comes down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

I always hear this statement and have no doubt its true but unless we can fix a numeric to it - its hard to say either way.

I mean we did have a lot of covid deaths there last month to be fair - not sure anywhere near as many died due to restrictions but as i said without a number how could i know.

Thats the way to do it - they can be judged at the next election and rightly so.

There's a great resource here: https://collateralglobal.org/ < it looks at peer reviewed data and the impact of COVID across many areas, some with very tangible & measurable data.

Looking specifically at health and then digging specifically into cancer and then specifically for the UK.

Breast Cancer deaths to go up by 9·6% (344 additional deaths)
    Lung Cancer to go up by 16.6% (1,372 additional deaths)
    Colorectal Cancer (1563 additional deaths)
    Oesophageal to go up by 6% (342 additional deaths)

So 3,600 extra deaths in people with substantially longer years of life left in the UK thanks to lockdowns.
    (source)

4X specific types of cancer.

Cardiovascular deaths has also seen a huge increase (removing COVID linked). UK again; A shocking 35% or 2279 additional deaths of those dying at home alone because of a delay in seeking treatment... Yet, we have NPHET scaremongering telling you it's not safe to leave your home.

There's a lack of critical thinking, our bureaucrat public health leaders think like civil servants with no innovation or ability to think about the problem in more than one way.

It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Random 2AM thought.

how they dealt with it in the past 12 months and next 24?! If any of them dont adopt the "wont someone think of the children and vulneable" and not a mention of anyone else, I will be floored!

There's a great resource here: https://collateralglobal.org/ < it looks at peer reviewed data and the impact of COVID across many areas, some with very tangible & measurable data.

Looking specifically at health and then digging specifically into cancer and then specifically for the UK.

Breast Cancer deaths to go up by 9·6% (344 additional deaths)
    Lung Cancer to go up by 16.6% (1,372 additional deaths)
    Colorectal Cancer (1563 additional deaths)
    Oesophageal to go up by 6% (342 additional deaths)

So 3,600 extra deaths in people with substantially longer years of life left in the UK thanks to lockdowns.
    (source)

4X specific types of cancer.

Cardiovascular deaths has also seen a huge increase (removing COVID linked). UK again; A shocking 35% or 2279 additional deaths of those dying at home alone because of a delay in seeking treatment... Yet, we have NPHET scaremongering telling you it's not safe to leave your home.

There's a lack of critical thinking, our bureaucrat public health leaders think like civil servants with no innovation or ability to think about the problem in more than one way.

It's a disgrace.

If its accurate it still leaves it way below covid deaths though?

I am all for the common good and from the start was of a live with mindset - but since the gov took the route they did - I guess going with it was best i could do.

No its just a chap doing a job that is important for our country is all

"There's always next year." :D

"There's always next year." :D

True you can have your holiday then.

And Mehole will get his second work trip haha.

True you can have your holiday then.

And Mehole will get his second work trip haha.

Nope. If he can go this year. Then I can go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd bet the house Martin will go, he achieved his lifelong ambition to sit in the bosses chair and knows its a one term gig for him so he ain't too bothered about the pushback he will get for it.

Sure he will get his photo taken with sleepy Joe and be happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭thatsmighty

Make the most out of everyday, live in the present and enjoy the small things.

• Advertisement

I'd bet the house Martin will go, he achieved his lifelong ambition to sit in the bosses chair and knows its a one term gig for him so he ain't too bothered about the pushback he will get for it.

Sure he will get his photo taken with sleepy Joe and be happy out.

He's going. Consequences be damned. This is why they're trying to get ahead of it with Holohan saying " Forget about Vacationing abroad this year" nonsense in the press. If he goes you'll see alot of people going this Summer. Especially if the numbers are down.

Advertisement