Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    This is why they're trying to get ahead of it with Holohan saying " Forget about Vacationing abroad this year" nonsense in the press.

I thought I misheard this. Does the man expect people here to wait around until 2022 to get a vaccine from the Irish programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

tara2k wrote: »
    I thought I misheard this. Does the man expect people here to wait around until 2022 to get a vaccine from the Irish programme?

It was on the cover of today's papers. They really do expect us to wait around until they can be bothered to vaccinate us. No matter how many years it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The country could be opened up tomorrow. Nphet and the government are a circus act.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

There's a great resource here: https://collateralglobal.org/ < it looks at peer reviewed data and the impact of COVID across many areas, some with very tangible & measurable data.

Looking specifically at health and then digging specifically into cancer and then specifically for the UK.

Breast Cancer deaths to go up by 9·6% (344 additional deaths)
    Lung Cancer to go up by 16.6% (1,372 additional deaths)
    Colorectal Cancer (1563 additional deaths)
    Oesophageal to go up by 6% (342 additional deaths)

So 3,600 extra deaths in people with substantially longer years of life left in the UK thanks to lockdowns.
    (source)

4X specific types of cancer.

Cardiovascular deaths has also seen a huge increase (removing COVID linked). UK again; A shocking 35% or 2279 additional deaths of those dying at home alone because of a delay in seeking treatment... Yet, we have NPHET scaremongering telling you it's not safe to leave your home.

There's a lack of critical thinking, our bureaucrat public health leaders think like civil servants with no innovation or ability to think about the problem in more than one way.

It's a disgrace.

That's not due to lockdowns, that's because they stopped some services because of the numbers of infected they were having to treat. A lockdown like ours in October didn't halt any treatments because it stopped the health service from being overwhelmed. These numbers would be much worse if there was no lockdown and hospitals were all filled with Covid patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

He's going. Consequences be damned. This is why they're trying to get ahead of it with Holohan saying " Forget about Vacationing abroad this year" nonsense in the press. If he goes you'll see alot of people going this Summer. Especially if the numbers are down.

Martins trip will be classed as essential even though its nothing more than a taxpayer funded holiday.

• Advertisement

Martins trip will be classed as essential even though its nothing more than a taxpayer funded holiday.

I wouldn't mind him going if they weren't so intent to keep us locked down all year. The fact that he'll swan off in March and he and the rest of the Dail will swan off on airplanes for their Summer vacations is the maddening part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Tony putting a blanket ban on foreign holidays this year who does he think he is. The sooner nphet is dissolved the better.

Cerveza wrote: »
    The country could be opened up tomorrow. Nphet and the government are a circus act.

Maybe when His [and Martin's and Varadkar's and the rest of the Dail's ] paychecks and pensions are in jeopardy they'll figure out how to contain this virus and resume normality.

Tony putting a blanket ban on foreign holidays this year who does he think he is. The sooner nphet is dissolved the better.

That will only make people want to go even more. People are beyond tired of this and they seem determined to keep it going. Plus the snail's pace rollout of the vaccine definitely cements the idea that they intend to drag this out for as long as they can.

This is most likely why they don't want us travelling abroad. We might get vaccinated there and if enough of us do it they'll have to re open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

A non government minister banned foreign travel for a year? I am completely shocked at this completely accurate interpretation of the story!!!

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A non government minister banned foreign travel for a year? I am completely shocked at this completely accurate interpretation of the story!!!

He is every bit as much of a Politician as Martin and Varadkar, etc. His position might not be government position but he still very much a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I will be heading somewhere foregn in summer definitley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Anecdotal I know but the few people that I speak to nowadays all were angry with Holohan’s announcement this morning on holidays. Could he not wait and see where we are in a few months times. On a pissy wet February day it’s the last thing a weary fed up public needed to hear really. They will lose people quickly with this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Anecdotal I know but the few people that I speak to nowadays all were angry with Holohan’s announcement this morning on holidays. Could he not wait and see where we are in a few months times. On a pissy wet February day it’s the last thing a weary fed up public needed to hear really. They will lose people quickly with this stuff.

They're really giving people hope with every pronouncement they make

No foreign holidays for the year says Tony

No non essential retail open in March according to Martin

Slow painful reopening whenever it starts from Martin and Varadkar

No hospitality until at least the summer when significant numbers are vaccinated

Be good boys and girls and stay at home for months on end

No intercounty travel until the summer it seems so they expect friends, family, partners in other counties not to see each other for 5-6 months of the year minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Yes. Have really had enough of the these authority figures being open and telling it like it is. People are sick to the teeth of clear answers and being given a straight view on how things are going. We need more waffling answers, with lots of words that dont say anything and leave us none the wiser. They know all we want is uncertainty, and they should just dodge questions and communicate less. This sort of information enables people to plan accordingly and have realistic expectations - who the phuck wants that? No one, thats who. They are all the same, these plain speaking goons.

Yes. Have really had enough of the these authority figures being open and telling it like it is. People are sick to the teeth of clear answers and being given a straight view on how things are going. We need more waffling answers, with lots of words that dont say anything and leave us none the wiser. They know all we want is uncertainty, and they should just dodge questions and communicate less. This sort of information enables people to plan accordingly and have realistic expectations - who the phuck wants that? No one, thats who. They are all the same, these plain speaking goons.

LOL. If you think they're telling it like it is. And are giving clear answers.

The Kool-Aid in the Church of Covidology is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Exactly, I want to be told 2 days beforehand so I can book flights and hotels at the most expensive prices. How dare they give us an answer based on current projections rather than just wait till July..........

Shower of cowboys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Exactly! I can't see my partner who is just 8km away.

He can zoom or FaceTime like the rest of us

Tell the guard you are each others respective household support bubble and you both live alone. I somehow doubt they will hold you by the roadside while they check the electoral register and find that due to FG policies you share your respective homes with a combined total of 11 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,022 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Exactly, I want to be told 2 days beforehand so I can book flights and hotels at the most expensive prices. How dare they give us an answer based on current projections rather than just wait till July..........

Shower of cowboys.

Well since they have got the majority of their predictions wrong so far then yes I feel they should wait a month or two before any announcements.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well since they have got the majority of their predictions wrong so far then yes I feel they should wait a month or two before any announcements.

Numbers are trending downwards. It wouldn't kill them to offer a bit hope while they claim to be watching the numbers. They pretty shut down the entire year and we only just started the second month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Nope. If he can go this year. Then I can go this year.

Look forward to your update. You'd want to book soon.

But sure we know you'll go nowhere and just keep moaning here.

Maybe mehole and a boards.ie moanhole aren't that different after all.

Both are F all use to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Numbers are trending downwards. It wouldn't kill them to offer a bit hope while they claim to be watching the numbers. They pretty shut down the entire year and we only just started the second month.

I just knew that NPHET would find something negative to say about case numbers last night. Apparently the numbers are trending downwards, but they aren't going downwards quick enough! They will be saying that when we are down to 10 cases a day - "But we should really be at 8 cases a day" etc.

delricyo wrote: »
    I just knew that NPHET would find something negative to say about case numbers last night. Apparently the numbers are trending downwards, but they aren't going downwards quick enough! They will be saying that when we are down to 10 cases a day - "But we should really be at 8 cases a day" etc.

This is the part that is no doubt angering many people. The need to find bad in any bit of good news. The numbers aren't there anymore to justify staying in Level 5 and now they're desperately scratching the bottom of the barrel to stay in Level 5 well past March 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

https://twitter.com/Jerusalem_Post/status/1357004918662561799

I think foreign travel is off the table till your vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

This is the part that is no doubt angering many people. The need to find bad in any bit of good news. The numbers aren't there anymore to justify staying in Level 5 and now they're desperately scratching the bottom of the barrel to stay in Level 5 well past March 5th.

I can see their point though, yes the numbers have come down, but they dont want people to drop their guard. Just look at what happened at Christmas.

A relaxation for just a couple of weeks, and we were back in lockdown before January came around, and we were getting 3, 4, 5 thousands cases a day. These new variants are spreading quicker than chlamydia in a hot tub. And that's the concern, lift it too quickly, and we'll be back in level 5 by April/May.

Everyone is fed up with this, but unless we're going to agree, well **** it, lift the lock down and let it spread through the entire country and who ever lives, great, well done, you won the race of life, there isnt an easy alternative.

The reality is, the country is not going to have the the vast majority of people vaccinated until nearer the Autumn time. In my opinion, people are deluding themselves if they think it will be Summer as normal this year. And going away to foreign climbs, is dependent on how those countries have rolled out their vaccination programs.

But people will do what they want to do, irrespective of what the guidelines are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    The reality is, the country is not going to have the the vast majority of people vaccinated until nearer the Autumn time. In my opinion, people are deluding themselves if they think it will be Summer as normal this year. And going away to foreign climbs, is dependent on how those countries have rolled out their vaccination programs.

But people will do what they want to do, irrespective of what the guidelines are.

I've got Portugal booked in late July and I'm confident I'll be going.

They were open to tourism last summer for Christ's sake - why do people think 1 year on with vaccinations they won't be open again. The new variant hysteria isn't going to stop them.

We could have say 40% of the population vaccinated by July - doesn't matter that it's not the full population. That 40% will keep ICU and hospitals to practically zero. So the other 60% if they get COVID will just have no/mild symptoms.

Every day more and more medical evidence is coming out to show vaccines are effective against new strains as well as effective against actual spread of the disease.

People also don't seem to realise that yes Jan-Mar is slow enough for vaccinations but April - June there's massive jump in volume as well as potentially having 5 or 6 vaccines.

Last summer was fairly "normal" and this summer definitely will be IMO. There may not be wet pubs open or concerts but there will be enough open for people to have a great summer.

Can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I've had mine. Can I go please:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Going to be a hell of a lot of Europeans not able to travel abroad this summer and plenty of British travelling if that scenario is rolled out throughout the EU. If you are in your 40's or 50's and unless you are a frontline worker you ain't getting vaccinated before September so they aren't going anywhere. 20's and 30's can book Mosney or a weekend in a tent in Sligo because they haven't a hope of getting vaccinated before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I just wonder when June comes along and hospitalizations and deaths fall off a cliff, will people going to get tested in same numbers as before, my thinking is as less people are actually getting sick because vulnerable groups are vaxxed surely there will be a big stand down on contact tracing, so if your not contacted you wont be tested. therefore case numbers go down. So you would imagine the government advisors will be saying when June comes , stand down the contact tracing. So case numbers are low thus covid is over. Of course it wont be and the odd person will die and some get sick, but thats life the hospitals wont be over ran. Remember when that was the end goal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭douglashyde

Dickie10 wrote: »
    I just wonder when June comes along and hospitalizations and deaths fall off a cliff, will people going to get tested in same numbers as before, my thinking is as less people are actually getting sick because vulnerable groups are vaxxed surely there will be a big stand down on contact tracing, so if your not contacted you wont be tested. therefore case numbers go down. So you would imagine the government advisors will be saying when June comes , stand down the contact tracing. So case numbers are low thus covid is over. Of course it wont be and the odd person will die and some get sick, but thats life the hospitals wont be over ran. Remember when that was the end goal?

Fair point.

However a majority of Ireland think the government are doing a good job or could be doing more i.e. harder restrictions < **this is based on a Red C Nov poll, when cases were low too.

Through several factors, mostly news related; the vast majority of Irish people are petrified of contracting COVID, regardless of age or health issues

My worry is that even with a vaccine, NPHET will push their narrative and people will continue to get tested out of pure fear and we'll see continued fear throughout 2021 and beyond.

Also, remember.... it's terrible and blunt but old people in nursing homes die, even with a vaccine, they can die while being infected with COVID- this will be recorded on death certs and in the numbers (as a primary or secondary factor).

An interesting article in the IT today. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/coronavirus-family-now-a-prime-suspect-in-previous-pandemics-1.4463053

<< Coronavirus are not once in a century thing, they are far more common. What has changed is this is the first one we've had when news/ information was so easily shared.

Advertisement