Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options
1222324252628»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

I've got Portugal booked in late July and I'm confident I'll be going.

They were open to tourism last summer for Christ's sake - why do people think 1 year on with vaccinations they won't be open again. The new variant hysteria isn't going to stop them.

We could have say 40% of the population vaccinated by July - doesn't matter that it's not the full population. That 40% will keep ICU and hospitals to practically zero. So the other 60% if they get COVID will just have no/mild symptoms.

Every day more and more medical evidence is coming out to show vaccines are effective against new strains as well as effective against actual spread of the disease.

People also don't seem to realise that yes Jan-Mar is slow enough for vaccinations but April - June there's massive jump in volume as well as potentially having 5 or 6 vaccines.

Last summer was fairly "normal" and this summer definitely will be IMO. There may not be wet pubs open or concerts but there will be enough open for people to have a great summer.

Can't wait :D

It's not hysteria if we actually have evidence that the most commonly available vaccine doesn't work on the strain. It's clear eyed concern. Some people won't like it, but travel should be strongly discouraged this year to protect the vaccines we have from being undermined.

I do think, most things will be open by the second half of the summer, but it will be down to a mixture of the vaccine and getting community transmission low over March, April and some of May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

GT89 wrote: »
    Instead of protecting 0.00001% of the propulation we will be protecting 0.000000001% of the population by then

I think this quote does show the importance of getting maths classes going again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

"It may be unpalatable and not what people want to hear but the reality is we have never seen a pandemic of this scale end in less than two to three years. In fact it’s quite likely that some sections of the world’s population will not be vaccinated for another four years"

Dr Ian Norton

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/covid-19-we-have-never-seen-a-pandemic-of-this-scale-that-was-shorter-than-2-3-years-1.4498436

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

So the next couple of years are a write off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

The limited restrictions on some US cities during the Spanish Flu lasted 24 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    So the next couple of years are a write off!

Nah. But there'll have to be vaccine passports to protect vaccinated populations from those who aren't vaccinated (poor african countries, SE Asia etc) the worry there is that if the virus continues spreading in those places it will continue to mutate and they may end up with a variant that doesn't respond to any vaccines. We can keep these variants out with continued travel restrictions. This is why people like Bill Gates etc are shouting from the rooftops about how it doesn't make sense for first world countries to hoover up all the vaccine supplies.

Advertisement