Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 2021 a write off?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,876 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Cerveza wrote: »
    Tony Little hitler will want to govern all our lives for this year. He says jump and the government says how high.

I find it strange how some people blame 1 person (I suppose we all need big bads. Yet can be silence on all parties yes all off the say we should always do as they recommend

Neames wrote: »
    I think I'm lucky to still have a job. I also am lucky that my employer permits remote working.

My partner is working on the frontline as a nurse and has received her first vaccination.

Our daughter is healthy and is receiving an education albeit through remote learning.

We try and make the most of everything in that we enjoy the small things. The bigger things like getting on a plane for a holiday can wait for another year.

I think we should avoid perceiving 2021 as a write off. Although I will admit this is hard sometimes.

100% agree. I am in the same boat as you with my job no wife and kids but I am itching to get going especially as I have not seen my new nephew yet.

I am thinking late summer

Coybig_ wrote: »
    They can jog the absolute f*ck on if they think this is going to be accepted.

Once the vulnerable are vaccinated my compliance with this nonsense is over.

/How about those who can not be vaccinated yet and are still vunerable. Will you wait for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

GazzaL wrote: »
    Any sign of NPHET addressing the obesity epidemic which increases the risk of illness and complications not just from COVID-19 but countless other illnesses? Or are NPHET still promoting booze and takeaways as essential? NPHET even shut gyms in January which is peak membership time.

Sssshhhh don’t talk about the real issues affecting our country. We’re all alcoholics don’t you know.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm thinking earliest we get back to normal is Feb 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

That’s grim if so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I think we're looking at 2067 for a return to normal. May as well throw that out as it's as much of a guess as any other timeline in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Any logic behind this or have you just plucked a date out of your arse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Until we see what happens in Israel over the next 2-3 months I don't see how anybody can predict anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

AdamD wrote: »

This thread is full of poo coated dates so.

*Poo coated dates, in hindsight, that sounds like a snack adored by coprophiliacs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Ilsa: [to Rick] I wasn't sure you were the same. Let's see, the last time we met was -
    Rick: La Belle Aurore.
    Ilsa: How nice. You remembered. But of course, that was the day the Germans marched into Paris.
    Rick: Not an easy day to forget.
    Ilsa: No.
    Rick: I remember every detail. The Germans wore gray. You wore blue.
    Ilsa: Yes. I put that dress away. When the Germans march out, I'll wear it again.

When the microbes march out, I'll put away my Level 5 pyjamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

Yes it is ..the elected didn’t put measures in place soon enough, kept schools open when should have been online, they are now talking about bringing schools back next month , it’s still flu season then. We aren’t being given a chance :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Weffer

AdamD wrote: »
    I’ve got to say I do love this Irish expression :pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You must be a hoot at parties.

Yes!

Thankfully what you posted is poppycock. The boards experts amuse me these days.

Actually - I'm mainly citing proper experts here.

BTW the vaccine isn’t like the ‘flu shot’. For a start the vaccine has a better efficacy than the flu vaccine.

Again - I'm mainly citing proper experts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

turbot wrote: »
    Yes!

Actually - I'm mainly citing proper experts here.

Again - I'm mainly citing proper experts here.

Well then back it up then, along with your experts so we can all asses how expert they are.

Looks more like a wish list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

Can't say two thousand and twenty one without saying two thousand and twenty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭Coybig_

/How about those who can not be vaccinated yet and are still vunerable. Will you wait for them

Would those people consider taking their own precautions? Or must we lockdown the nation because of those few people? Can they stay inside by any chance? Like everyone else is doing for them at the moment and have largely done for 1 year. The majority of the population ste not affected by this disease yet are most affected by restrictions. Does this not matter?

How many deaths is too many? Is it as low as one? 149 people died on Irish roads in 2020. In the last 20 years there have been numerous occasions where we have had more than 400 road deaths? Yet we still drive. Very strange.

2000 cancer cases lost in 2020 in Ireland. We have had 2,595 Civid deaths to date, and that is before looking at how impactful Covid was in causing death. Does cancer not matter anymore? Is it just Covid that matters now? If we are happy to miss 2000 cancer diagnosis then what else are we missing?

Might we be missing suicides? Extreme mental health problems? Alcoholics? Domestic Abuse? Online gambling addictions?

What about businesses? Many will never reopen. What impact will that have on those people? They dont matter do they? Just the few vulnerable people that cant have a vaccine is it?

No I will not wait for them. If I had to face into another 2 years of this sh*te I'd just pack it in all together. This isnt living. I can only imagine what is going through other peoples heads.

The attitude is absolutely astonishing from people like yourself. Screw everything else. Screw business closures. Screw poverty. Screw missed cancer diagnosis. Screw suicide. Screw domestic abuse. Screw alcoholism. Screw gambling addiction. Screw mental health. Screw the financial impact on the future of young people. Screw young people going to college. Or disabled children going to school.

I'm absolutely sick of it. There is more going on in the world than bloody Covid. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated then governments should be rapidly ending this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Why aren't the Health Authorities proving preventative measure's to the vulnerable demographic, surely at this stage they know things like Vitamin D, or Zinc or whatever works or are we expected to believe that this virus is immune to all treatments.

Surely if we all have to wear masks for whatever slim chance they may prevent transmission then diet or supplements should offer similar...I mean we have 4 or 5 vaccines in record time, are they the only solution? Are we expected to believe that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

You might want to check the source of some of your figures. Over 9000 cancer deaths each year according to cancer research. Don't see the government banning cigarettes, alcohol or various food groups that are linked to certain cancers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

my question and i am sure its been asked on boards before

how many have died from cancer due to smoking in ireland over the last say 20 years?
    how many lives have been lost and families ruined due to drugs including alcohol over the last 20 years?
    same question on mental health?

should we now adopt similarly strict health and social policies towards smoking, drinking and illegal drugs.
    should we finally properly fund mental health and social services?
    think of the lives we could save? surely thousands
    think of the lives we could save from suicide alone?

as a country we have gone all in on this virus, economically, socially and politically.
    my question is why stop?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

@MichealLehane
    · 1h
    At the end of this week there’s a feeling in political circles that few if any international tourists will visit the country this summer, finance supports likely to continue, while wet pubs may not get to re-open until autumn.

Unfortunately this is probably how things will play out I fear.

The problem the Government faces is that, as people become vaccinated, they are likely to naturally increase their social interaction and their close contacts will rapidly increase as a result. Being vaccinated does not prevent you from transmitting Covid-19, so the Government faces a serious problem in this regard as the vaccination programme progresses until such time as a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Sure, vaccinating the most venerable will prevent deaths. However we already know that people of all ages can end up seriously ill from Covid-19 requiring hospitalisation. So the core problem the the Government is trying to prevent, i.e. the overloading of hospitals and its knock on effect on the care of other critically ill patients, is likely to persist until a large majority of the populace is vaccinated.

That is, unfortunately, why I believe the Government will likely have to keep the likes of pubs and social events restricted well into the summer and beyond. Adopting the approach of opening everything up from March onwards while not vaccinating 80% + of the populace until Autum or beyond is a non-runner as hospitals will simply be overwhelmed and will be unable to cope. The daily cases would be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The problem the Government faces is that, as people become vaccinated, they are likely to naturally increase their social interaction and their close contacts will rapidly increase as a result. Being vaccinated does not prevent you from transmitting Covid-19, so the Government faces a serious problem in this regard as the vaccination programme progresses until such time as a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

Sure, vaccinating the most venerable will prevent deaths. However we already know that people of all ages can end up seriously ill from Covid-19 requiring hospitalisation. So the core problem the the Government is trying to prevent, i.e. the overloading of hospitals and its knock on effect on the care of other critically ill patients, is likely to persist until a large majority of the populace is vaccinated.

That is, unfortunately, why I believe the Government will likely to have keep the likes of pubs and social events restricted well into the summer and beyond.
    Why are people constantly stating this as fact when we actually don't know, but it looks likely tha it will to some extent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

That is, unfortunately, why I believe the Government will likely to have keep the likes of pubs and social events restricted well into the summer and beyond.

And we'll all go abroad on our hollyers to places like Italy and Poland and Lanzarote where hotels, restaurants and bars are open. The Irish hospitality industry can either grow a pair and open up, or die at the hands of NPHET.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

GazzaL wrote: »
    And we'll all go abroad on our hollyers to places like Italy and Poland and Lanzarote where hotels, restaurants and bars are open. The Irish hospitality industry can either grow a pair and open up, or die at the hands of NPHET.

It's highly unlikely that the tourism industry will be functioning anywhere in Europe this summer. The Spanish Government is operating on the basis that a negligible number of tourists will be arriving into the country until August onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

It's highly unlikely that the tourism industry will be functioning anywhere in Europe this summer. The Spanish Government is operating on the basis that a negligible number of tourists will be arriving into the country until August onwards.

Flights will be operating. Restaurants, bars and hotels will be open in European countries. Irish people will travel abroad. There's people posting on here that have just travelled from Ireland to Lanzarote!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

That is, unfortunately, why I believe the Government will likely have to keep the likes of pubs and social events restricted well into the summer and beyond. Adopting the approach of opening everything up from March onwards while not vaccinating 80% + of the populace until Autum or beyond is a non-runner as hospitals will simply be overwhelmed and will be unable to cope. The daily cases would be astronomical.

While I hope you are wrong, that is one of the first posts I have seen explaining in detail why they think we will not open up as early as some are expecting. Thanks for posting, much more helpful than those saying "it will be at least summer 2022 and anyone who thinks differently has their head in the clouds".

I hadn't really thought of it like that. I would hope that even if cases are high, that hospitalisations and deaths would be very low as the elderly and most vulnerable will be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

would there be a chance that from June onwards with 40% of population vaccinated that hospitalisations drop rapidly? deaths the same. then what if less and less people actually know they are sick with covid like are not bad enough to get tested or asymptomatic so they dont go for the test because (a)they dont feel unwell enough and (b) they dont fear covid enough because all vulnerable people they are in contact with are now vaccinated. so what happens is less and less people get tested so therefore case numbers drop along with hospitalistions and deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

Coybig_ wrote: »
    Would those people consider taking their own precautions? Or must we lockdown the nation because of those few people? Can they stay inside by any chance? Like everyone else is doing for them at the moment and have largely done for 1 year. The majority of the population ste not affected by this disease yet are most affected by restrictions. Does this not matter?

How many deaths is too many? Is it as low as one? 149 people died on Irish roads in 2020. In the last 20 years there have been numerous occasions where we have had more than 400 road deaths? Yet we still drive. Very strange.

2000 cancer cases lost in 2020 in Ireland. We have had 2,595 Civid deaths to date, and that is before looking at how impactful Covid was in causing death. Does cancer not matter anymore? Is it just Covid that matters now? If we are happy to miss 2000 cancer diagnosis then what else are we missing?

Might we be missing suicides? Extreme mental health problems? Alcoholics? Domestic Abuse? Online gambling addictions?

What about businesses? Many will never reopen. What impact will that have on those people? They dont matter do they? Just the few vulnerable people that cant have a vaccine is it?

No I will not wait for them. If I had to face into another 2 years of this sh*te I'd just pack it in all together. This isnt living. I can only imagine what is going through other peoples heads.

The attitude is absolutely astonishing from people like yourself. Screw everything else. Screw business closures. Screw poverty. Screw missed cancer diagnosis. Screw suicide. Screw domestic abuse. Screw alcoholism. Screw gambling addiction. Screw mental health. Screw the financial impact on the future of young people. Screw young people going to college. Or disabled children going to school.

I'm absolutely sick of it. There is more going on in the world than bloody Covid. Once the vulnerable are vaccinated then governments should be rapidly ending this nonsense.

You can make points like this until you are blue in the face, the simple fact is this is the first "social media virus" therefore every single covid thing is blown out of proportion and its very hard to see how we will move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

As far as the tourism industry is concerned, talking to a tour operator the other day who is a friend of mine, he reckons 2021 is, for tourism at least a "complete write-off" as HE puts it.

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    would there be a chance that from June onwards with 40% of population vaccinated that hospitalisations drop rapidly? deaths the same. then what if less and less people actually know they are sick with covid like are not bad enough to get tested or asymptomatic so they dont go for the test because (a)they dont feel unwell enough and (b) they dont fear covid enough because all vulnerable people they are in contact with are now vaccinated. so what happens is less and less people get tested so therefore case numbers drop along with hospitalistions and deaths

More than a chance cases will fall. Just look at last summer, cases and hospitalisations dropped massively.

We have a choice between spending the next 3 years destroying everyone's ****ing mind trying to get to zero-Covid or we vaccinate everyone and get on with our lives.

Advertisement