Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's take a moment to talk about taxation

Options
  • 14-01-2021 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I am not a believer in Ireland being a low tax economy and I think we are punitively taxed here, considering what we receive from the Government in return it very bad value in my own honest opinion. Lets discuss it here. I am adding in all the taxes from the top of my head immediately.

Income Tax of 20 or 40% depending on income or circumstances
    Universal Service Charge of 0.5% to 11% typically around 4.5%
    PRSI 4% but can vary
    VAT 0% to 9% to 23% (21% currently but raising back to the 23% rate soon)
    Road Tolls, varies from €0 for some rural dwellers to €1,000+ per year for a daily commuter passing a tollgate.
    Excise Duty of 50%+ on Hydrocarbon fuels, alcohol, and tobacco
    Carbon tax €33.50 per tonne of fossil fuel or 9c per litre of fuel.
    VRT, Vechicle Registration Tax on new and used cars
    MotorTax €100 to €2,500 per year (average of €250 per modern car or less).
    CGT Inheritance Tax 33% of what you will inherit, this was money previously taxed. This is one of the biggest for some and for others does not effect them.
    Local Property Tax €90 to €1,000+ per year
    Stamp Duty 1% for first time buyers for homes under €1m and 2% for above €2m 7.5% for Commercial property and farmland
    D.I.R.T 33% this was once a serious tax, however since bank's don't any interest now it is nearly gone now. Probably costs more to collect than it raises now.
    Plastic Bag Levy, 22c per plastic bag, one of the few taxes I support
    Covid Test €100 to leave the country, as it is a govt mandated directive it is a from of tax as far as I'm concerned.
    Dog Licence €20 for your madra
    Gun licence €80 for 3 years, there is over 300k+ people holding guns in Ireland, many with multiple weapons.
    Driving Licence €55 per decade
    Passport €90+ per decade
    NCT €55per 1 or 2 years depending on car age, typically €85 per year for a 10+ year car needing a retest.
    Water Charges exceed 145L of water per day per person for a family of 4 and you will get charged. Small minority of people effected usually. Contentious issue.
    Parking Charges varies, depends on usage
    TV Licence: €160 per year to fund RTE
    Electricity majority of your electric bill consists of taxations from PSO Levies and Carbon taxes

We are far from a low tax economy and I would love to do a simulation of a typical person, from cradle to grave he will pay somewhere above 70% of all monies he will earn back to the state in all the varies taxes.

What tax am I missing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 boldrevolt

Condoms are a tax on sex.
    Sugar tax.

and most people don't know that due to the nature of how a text message is sent
    it actually costs mobile operators nothing to let you do this.
    so one could also argue charging for text messages are a scam

oh and you left out all the money people offer up to the catholic church.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

theguzman wrote: »
    Covid Test
    Dog Licence
    Gun licence
    Driving Licence
    Passport
    NCT
    Parking Charges
    TV Licence:
    Electricity

None of the above are taxes.

Unless you know what the effective rate of tax is in other developed countries then you have no basis for claiming that Ireland is or is not a "low tax economy", whatever you think that means.

And PRSI is not a tax either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

No party in Dail wanted to cut any of these taxes if you read their manifestos for the last election.

We get what we vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

boldrevolt wrote: »
    Condoms are a tax on sex.
    Sugar tax.

and most people don't know that due to the nature of how a text message is sent
    it actually costs mobile operators nothing to let you do this.
    so one could also argue charging for text messages are a scam

oh and you left out all the money people offer up to the catholic church.

I don't know anyone paying for text messages. I pay for unlimited data on my phone. Ordinary calls and text messages are a bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 boldrevolt

I don't know anyone paying for text messages. I pay for unlimited data on my phone. Ordinary calls and text messages are a bonus.

The texts cost them nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Guess it was only a matter of time before a taxation thread appeared here. Every other libertarian talking point has been done to death already

Its awful hard to take any attempt at analysis seriously that states income tax as either the 20 or 40 % rates without an acknowledgement that neither rate kicks in until a certain threshold which is significantly above zero

Id start by rectifyin that if you want a serious discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I am not a believer in Ireland being a low tax economy and I think we are punitively taxed here, considering what we receive from the Government in return it very bad value in my own honest opinion. Lets discuss it here. I am adding in all the taxes from the top of my head immediately.

Income Tax of 20 or 40% depending on income or circumstances
    Universal Service Charge of 0.5% to 11% typically around 4.5%
    PRSI 4% but can vary
    VAT 0% to 9% to 23% (21% currently but raising back to the 23% rate soon)
    Road Tolls, varies from €0 for some rural dwellers to €1,000+ per year for a daily commuter passing a tollgate.
    Excise Duty of 50%+ on Hydrocarbon fuels, alcohol, and tobacco
    Carbon tax €33.50 per tonne of fossil fuel or 9c per litre of fuel.
    VRT, Vechicle Registration Tax on new and used cars
    MotorTax €100 to €2,500 per year (average of €250 per modern car or less).
    CGT Inheritance Tax 33% of what you will inherit, this was money previously taxed. This is one of the biggest for some and for others does not effect them.
    Local Property Tax €90 to €1,000+ per year
    Stamp Duty 1% for first time buyers for homes under €1m and 2% for above €2m 7.5% for Commercial property and farmland
    D.I.R.T 33% this was once a serious tax, however since bank's don't any interest now it is nearly gone now. Probably costs more to collect than it raises now.
    Plastic Bag Levy, 22c per plastic bag, one of the few taxes I support
    Covid Test €100 to leave the country, as it is a govt mandated directive it is a from of tax as far as I'm concerned.
    Dog Licence €20 for your madra
    Gun licence €80 for 3 years, there is over 300k+ people holding guns in Ireland, many with multiple weapons.
    Driving Licence €55 per decade
    Passport €90+ per decade
    NCT €55per 1 or 2 years depending on car age, typically €85 per year for a 10+ year car needing a retest.
    Water Charges exceed 145L of water per day per person for a family of 4 and you will get charged. Small minority of people effected usually. Contentious issue.
    Parking Charges varies, depends on usage
    TV Licence: €160 per year to fund RTE
    Electricity majority of your electric bill consists of taxations from PSO Levies and Carbon taxes

We are far from a low tax economy and I would love to do a simulation of a typical person, from cradle to grave he will pay somewhere above 70% of all monies he will earn back to the state in all the varies taxes.

What tax am I missing?

For levies and some taxes /deductions

Health insurance levy
    Life assurance
    Prescriptions
    There is levy on bank charges and cards
    Stamp duty
    Excuse duties on alcohol , fuel, cigarettes
    Custom duties on imports
    Carbon tax
    Sugar tax I think came in here
    And there is a Exit tax for companies leaving Ireland
    There is employer prsi too

Its awful hard to take any attempt at analysis seriously that states income tax as either the 20 or 40 % rates without an acknowledgement that neither rate kicks in until a certain threshold which is significantly above zero

Id start by rectifyin that if you want a serious discussion

Or all the credits which can be set against it.

But I don't think I'd bother, as he doesn't seem to understand the difference between a tax and a charge in the first place (or that CGT is not CAT) but has decided he pays too much all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Or all the credits which can be set against it.

But I don't think I'd bother, as he doesn't seem to understand the difference between a tax and a charge in the first place (or that CGT is not CAT) but has decided he pays too much all the same.

I full understand the difference between both, however a charge which is proactically unavoidable is still money I'm pumping into the exchequer. A gun and dog licence obviously, a TV licence maybe, electricity charges and bank levies less so however unless you become a hermit living in a teepee.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

I can't comment on non-income taxes as things like TV licence, house tax etc don't directly compare to other countries. But I'm sure they have their own ways of indirect taxation too. (Council tax in UK for example)

I've never agreed with the idea that we're being done somehow on tax in this country. Granted, there are disincentives to some things, such as DIRT on investments etc.

But on income tax, people don't actually pay much, we just think we do.

On a 35k salary, we come away with 29k after tax. Source, https://www.pwc.ie/issues/budget-2021/income-tax-calculator.html

On a 35k salary in France, its 27.5k
    On a 35k salary in Belgium, its 22k!
    On a 35k salary in Germany, its c24k, depending on church tax, deducted from income
    On a 35k salary in Spain its 26.5k
    On a 35k salary in Italy its 23.5k!
    On a 35k salary in UK its 27k.

Source: https://salaryaftertax.com/ (Ireland also available on here, which gives same result as PWC one)

We beat all those countries for the after tax amount of income. That's after usc, paye, prsi etc, coming out with 29k on a 35k salary. More disbosable than any of the countries above.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

Guess it was only a matter of time before a taxation thread appeared here. Every other libertarian talking point has been done to death already
    Hi my name is URL and I really like taxation.

Don't forget

the various punitive financial measures against anyone who returns from emigrating

tax on hygiene products

The lotto, stupid person tax of the century. Should be banned.

I full understand the difference between both, however a charge which is proactically unavoidable is still money I'm pumping into the exchequer. A gun and dog licence obviously, a TV licence maybe, electricity charges and bank levies less so however unless you become a hermit living in a teepee.

I know from a number of your posts on Boards that you are certainly not pumping money into the exchequer and would rather the situation were reversed, so I have to say this thread has rubbed me up the wrong way.

Many of the things you have described are discretionary - owning a gun, a dog, a car, a television (for now) - these are choices. As such there are incidental charges to fund the State's administration of these things as they require regulation. You don't need a passport, you can't be forced to leave Ireland if you decide not to.

You are also ignoring a huge component of reasoning behind taxation by mentioning some of the taxes in your OP. Governments use, and must use, taxes to enforce social policy. A carbon tax is there to make environmentally unsound consumption unattractive - the same goes for the sugar tax in relation to obesity. Capital taxation is required for the necessary redistribution of wealth.

Again, without knowing how to compare the effective rates in other countries (and you haven't shown that you do), you can't evaluate whether or not you pay too much tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Taxs pay for roads. Bridges infrastructure, the civil service, hospitals, Gardai etc if you don't like it maybe move to another country like the USA
    Some states have low taxs, but you better
    have good health insurance health insurance is expensive property taxs are
    higher than 1000 euro in most states
    1000s of people go bankrupt if they need
    expensive medical treatment due to a sudden illness I think the Irish system is more fair than the American system
    So drugs in America have gone up 10x in one year because company x owns the patent on that drug
    The healthcare system in America is in some way a tax because you have to
    pay for expensive health insurance
    I think in general the tax rates in Ireland are in line with most western countrys

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

the various punitive financial measures against anyone who returns from emigrating.

Please elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Yup, it's common in so called free market economies that taxation moves from the more plutocratic elements in society, towards the citizens, from income taxes to consumption taxes, so the trick is to be wealthy before the implementation of such policies

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

No party in Dail wanted to cut any of these taxes if you read their manifestos for the last election.

We get what we vote for.

Indeed ,even the " right wing " FG

riclad wrote: »
    Taxs pay for roads. Bridges infrastructure, the civil service, hospitals, Gardai etc if you don't like it maybe move to another country like the USA
    Some states have low taxs, but you better
    have good health insurance health insurance is expensive property taxs are
    higher than 1000 euro in most states
    1000s of people go bankrupt if they need
    expensive medical treatment due to a sudden illness I think the Irish system is more fair than the American system
    So drugs in America have gone up 10x in one year because company x owns the patent on that drug
    The healthcare system in America is in some way a tax because you have to
    pay for expensive health insurance
    I think in general the tax rates in Ireland are in line with most western countrys

They're not in line , we are an outlier in that we hardly tax low earners at all and load heavy on mid level earners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Was the television/RTE tax mentioned yet?
    Or the soon to be media 'charge' (tax), which is just another household tax, for having a smart device capable of receiving RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Can the OP give us a country that has the taxation and spending policies he'd like us to emulate? That way we can actually have a proper discussion without having to deal with abstract numbers divorced from their effects.

Can the OP give us a country that has the taxation and spending policies he'd like us to emulate? That way we can actually have a proper discussion without having to deal with abstract numbers divorced from their effects.

dunno about the OP but personally id like a flat tax for everyone including corporations

around 20% would be about right IMO

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's only going to get worse in the short and medium term. We've a pandemic to pay for (although I suspect it may be our children and grandchildren that ultimately pay for most of that).

We also have a relatively young population. That will change over time resulting in increasing pension costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,558 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Beasty wrote: »
    It's only going to get worse in the short and medium term. We've a pandemic to pay for (although I suspect it may be our children and grandchildren that ultimately pay for most of that).

We also have a relatively young population. That will change over time resulting in increasing pension costs.

...again growing deficits are relatively fine, public debt can be rolled over indefinitely, without it causing any significant issues, this is common across the globe, as long as the debts are serviceable, everything is fine.

the issue with pensions is the fact, living costs are continually rising, particularly in relation to property and land, therefore preventing younger generations from getting involved with pension funds earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

We get what we vote for.

yes but there is no alternative running, other than renua who the electorate seem to have dismissed...

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ...again growing deficits are relatively fine, public debt can be rolled over indefinitely, without it causing any significant issues, this is common across the globe, as long as the debts are serviceable, everything is fine.

the issue with pensions is the fact, living costs are continually rising, particularly in relation to property and land, therefore preventing younger generations from getting involved with pension funds earlier

the state pension and added benefits are also far too generous , add in the fact many are on the state pension nearly as long as they were working

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Thumb tax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The pension bubble is coming ... it is going to be nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    dunno about the OP but personally id like a flat tax for everyone including corporations

around 20% would be about right IMO

There are a good few countries around the world with a flat tax rate, can you suggest one we could copy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I am not a believer in Ireland being a low tax economy and I think we are punitively taxed here, considering what we receive from the Government in return it very bad value in my own honest opinion.

If you wanted a serious conversation about taxation then it would have to be rooted in facts, which based on your posts would be problematic for you.

Have you considered the conspiracy forum?

Advertisement