Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's take a moment to talk about taxation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

jcon1913 wrote: »
    Tax take in Ireland relative to other countries is here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_revenue_to_GDP_ratio

The tax take in Ireland is approx 30% according to this list

Ireland compares well to the UK 34%, France 47.9% and Germany 44.5%, Italy 43.5%

I dont know what the OP is on about really.

To be fair, our GDP figures are meaningless due to the multinationals. You really need to use GNI* as a base to get some meaningful stats and even then it's debatable how accurate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

timmyntc wrote: »
    Why a 35k salary?

On higher salaries you will start to see the big differences in Irish and other countries' taxation.

We have one of the lowest thresholds before the top rate of tax kicks in, and one of the highest marginal rates of tax in Europe

France 54906
    Uk 54933
    Spain 54024
    Luxembourg 52008
    Ireland 51889
    AVERAGE 49679
    Italy 48192
    Germany 41607
    Belgium 39873

Spain 76024
    France 75402
    Uk 74133
    Luxembourg 72208
    Ireland 71089
    AVERAGE 69563
    Italy 68944
    Germany 63883
    Belgium 54825

This would put us above average on take home pay based on the above 8 countries, using that calculator posted.

For our population size, that doesnt seem too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Lucifer wrote: »
    France 54906
    Uk 54933
    Spain 54024
    Luxembourg 52008
    Ireland 51889
    AVERAGE 49679
    Italy 48192
    Germany 41607
    Belgium 39873

Spain 76024
    France 75402
    Uk 74133
    Luxembourg 72208
    Ireland 71089
    AVERAGE 69563
    Italy 68944
    Germany 63883
    Belgium 54825

This would put us above average on take home pay based on the above 8 countries, using that calculator posted.

For our population size, that doesnt seem too bad.

How in the hell can anyone see getting 76k of your 120k salary into your pocket as not completely immoral and just oppressive. Taxation is far too high across the EU. Somebody on 120k should atleast be keeping 95-100k 20-25k a year per person is more than enough to take in income tax.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's hardly oppressive if that's what people vote for. By and large, European voters like a high level of state services and are willing, to varying degrees, to pay for that through taxation. If the consensus changed, you'd expect to see people starting to vote in representatives advocating slashing services in order to cut taxes.

It's hardly oppressive if that's what people vote for. By and large, European voters like a high level of state services and are willing, to varying degrees, to pay for that through taxation. If the consensus changed, you'd expect to see people starting to vote in representatives advocating slashing services in order to cut taxes.

sadly theres very few options to vote for that across europe. Sure that exact policy is what got FG elected in 2011 and did they do any tax cutting, not a chance.

• Advertisement

How in the hell can anyone see getting 76k of your 120k salary into your pocket as not completely immoral and just oppressive. Taxation is far too high across the EU. Somebody on 120k should atleast be keeping 95-100k 20-25k a year per person is more than enough to take in income tax.

Based off your "contributions" to this thread so far you've suggested cutting at least 30 billion out of government spending. That's more than the entire welfare budget including pensions so what else would you cut to bring about this fantasy of yours?
    Maybe policing? You've only got about 1 million people rioting because you removed their pensions, job seekers, employment support, disability payments, children's allowance, carer support and social housing but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Based off your "contributions" to this thread so far you've suggested cutting at least 30 billion out of government spending. That's more than the entire welfare budget including pensions so what else would you cut to bring about this fantasy of yours?
    Maybe policing? You've only got about 1 million people rioting because you removed their pensions, job seekers, employment support, disability payments, children's allowance, carer support and social housing but I'm sure it'll be fine.

How much do we spend on NGO's, foreign aid, housing associations, middle management in the civil service, duplicate jobs in the HSE ?

How much do we spend on NGO's, foreign aid, housing associations, middle management in the civil service, duplicate jobs in the HSE ?

Once again, looking for others to do the work for you like the "scroungers" you love to complain about ad-infinitum. Find your own figures.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

sadly theres very few options to vote for that across europe.

I think if there was a genuine demand for these kind of policies, people would get up off their arses and form parties that back them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I would start with mandatory redundancies of over 100,000 public and civil sector workers, statues do work than most of them.

Abolish all forms of local government and the senate. Cut bureaucracy in a fire of rules and regulations. I would strengthen law and order and fire every judge and barrister in the country. Every former politician would have his pensions removed. I would immediately stop all payments into the EU, I would expropriate all property and wealth of anyone connected to the FF party, this money would be paid over to the creditors from 2010 and then close the book no more repayment on that.

All healthcare should be privatised, we don't have healthcare in Ireland only a idealogical dogma masquerading as healthcare.

• Advertisement

I think if there was a genuine demand for these kind of policies, people would get up off their arses and form parties that back them.

I doubt there's any real support for those policies even from the people here who are championing low taxes. I'm still waiting for one of them to actually name a country they wish to emulate.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I just not understand the inheritance tax, so basically a person will work and pay mortgage for big part of their life so when they die the state inherit a third.

theguzman wrote: »
    I would start with mandatory redundancies of over 100,000 public and civil sector workers, statues do work than most of them.

Abolish all forms of local government and the senate. Cut bureaucracy in a fire of rules and regulations. I would strengthen law and order and fire every judge and barrister in the country. Every former politician would have his pensions removed. I would immediately stop all payments into the EU, I would expropriate all property and wealth of anyone connected to the FF party, this money would be paid over to the creditors from 2010 and then close the book no more repayment on that.

All healthcare should be privatised, we don't have healthcare in Ireland only a idealogical dogma masquerading as healthcare.

It took more time to type that then thought put into it I'd say.

Das Reich wrote: »
    I just not understand the inheritamce tax, so basically a person will work and pay mortgage for big part of their life so when they die the state inherit a third.

The deceased doesn't pay anything, the recipient may have to depending on the amount and relation to the deceased. This was covered a few pages back.

Once again, looking for others to do the work for you like the "scroungers" you love to complain about ad-infinitum. Find your own figures.

im not looking for hard figures here, its more a suggestion of where id make the savings.

nice to see you keep implying the unemployed are lazy.

I doubt there's any real support for those policies even from the people here who are championing low taxes. I'm still waiting for one of them to actually name a country they wish to emulate.

There are actually examples of countries with little or no income tax, low inheritance taxes, and minimal state services. It's called the 19th Century.

im not looking for hard figures here, its more a suggestion of where id make the savings.

nice to see you keep implying the unemployed are lazy.

I didn't imply anything. I said you are lazy and a hypocrite.

Anyway, you gave actual figures when you said how much people should pay, it shouldn't be hard to do the same for how much you want to cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭a very cool kid

You'd end up living here in your own lol

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

There are actually examples of countries with little or no income tax, low inheritance taxes, and minimal state services. It's called the 19th Century.

was it vat or income tax that was introduced by the British to pay for ww2. still being paid.

anyone set against tax, should check out the Adam Smith Institution. They run events in london, free booze, but some of the people at it, oh my God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

was it vat or income tax that was introduced by the British to pay for ww2. still being paid.
    Purchase tax, which was precursor for VAT. Income tax was the Napoleonic war

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So you would rob from the poor to give to the rich - not sure that would be a popular one Eric Cartman.

How would you deal with the ballooning homelessness after you get rid of housing associations and cut government income in one fell swoop?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Aha. Yes. Adolf Hitler's style of governance.

Will you burn books and build autobahns too?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,514 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Das Reich wrote: »
    I just not understand the inheritance tax, so basically a person will work and pay mortgage for big part of their life so when they die the state inherit a third.

It is called CAT.

https://revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/gift-and-inheritance-tax-cat/index.aspx

The beneficiaries of a gift or an inheritance may have a CAT liability, but there are exemptions and thresholds.

I'm guessing the majority of recipients of gifts/inheritances are free of CAT.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Geuze wrote: »
    It is called CAT.

https://revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/gift-and-inheritance-tax-cat/index.aspx

The beneficiaries of a gift or an inheritance may have a CAT liability, but there are exemptions and thresholds.

I'm guessing the majority of recipients of gifts/inheritances are free of CAT.

Yep, most people will never have to pay CAT, but I feel like this has been explained to death in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So you would rob from the poor to give to the rich - not sure that would be a popular one Eric Cartman.

How would you deal with the ballooning homelessness after you get rid of housing associations and cut government income in one fell swoop?

“Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don’t make merry myself at Christmas and I can’t afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.” “Many can’t go there; and many would rather die.” “If they would rather die,” said Scrooge, “they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population.”

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭kalych

No, thank you! Lucky for us most people don't agree with you. Next!

Those on 100k a year are not rich

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You missed one of the biggest ones - CAT
    Capital Aquisitions Tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Those on 100k a year are not rich

Only if they've a load of debt to pay

Advertisement