Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS) in Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks for those posts, still, day/night rate critical for us heavy leccy users especially EV owners, will not be touching FIT without Day/Night rate functionality.
    With an Eddi and two EV's FIT will need to be at a good rate for it to be worth my while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

slave1 wrote: »
    Thanks for those posts, still, day/night rate critical for us heavy leccy users especially EV owners, will not be touching FIT without Day/Night rate functionality.
    With an Eddi and two EV's FIT will need to be at a good rate for it to be worth my while

This is the first winter i have been recharging the battery on night rate to use it during the day and so far it working out very well. Most recent bill was €114.

Without the night rate any smart meter is pointless. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

KCross wrote: »
    Those applying for FiT are supposedly to get priority install of Smart meters. Its pointless otherwise. Covid might cause issues but I dont think it should since the meter is usually accessible outside and its just a case of swapping it out. One man job.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116144653&postcount=158

I presume that any new connections will be smart meters going into houses. Just signing my connection agreement and planning to get 6kWp installed, requested a day/night rate but I presume I will be getting a smart meter.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    I presume that any new connections will be smart meters going into houses. Just signing my connection agreement and planning to get 6kWp installed, requested a day/night rate but I presume I will be getting a smart meter.

I was at a new house that got connected a week ago and it didn’t have a smart meter! :)

ECO_Mental wrote: »

Presume nothing, all you will get is what you have.
    I presumed when i got a digital meter I would get it with DAY/NIGHT.
    If you had a mechanical meter that was 24hour then you will get a digital meter that's set to 24hour.

You need to tell ESB Networks you want the day/night setup, be it dumb or be it a smart meter.

I did ask the ESB bloke who fitted the meter why he was not fitting a Smart meter, he just said its not his department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

I know this is not a meeter thread but surly the best meeter is the one that goes backwards. Ie the perfect grid battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I was at a new house that got connected a week ago and it didn’t have a smart meter! :)

Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

unkel wrote: »
    Jesus.

And the price of electricity went up last year because of higher "grid charges"

I wonder what that's all about...

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Not cheap those ESB employees. Work a little just to make things tick over - don't expect any vision there - cost over €100k on average in labour costs. Someone has got to pay for those benefits. Guess who that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭buzz11

Gazzler82 wrote: »
    Any mention in the Doc about Revenue looking for their pound of flesh??

Also my smart meter was uninstalled after I switched to day/night as the ESB networks person said they didn’t know if the “smart” meter can manage day/night :|

So one might have to make a choice to export or keep day/night. If you have an EV i suspect it isn’t a choice at all

I have an export meter with day/night rate since the end of '14...its got an antenna as well so does that make it 'smart'?

• Advertisement

buzz11 wrote: »
    I have an export meter with day/night rate since the end of '14...its got an antenna as well so does that make it 'smart'?

Dont think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Vat?

I believe so.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

Only 4 days left for consultation so hope everyone has sent in their concerns/issues/etc regarding the scheme as currently designed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

idc wrote: »
    Only 4 days left for consultation so hope everyone has sent in their concerns/issues/etc regarding the scheme as currently designed

I wish they'd publish the feedback, I'd love to know what the craziest comments were :)

Something like this is bound to bring out the tinfoil hat brigade

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I wish they'd publish the feedback, I'd love to know what the craziest comments were :)

Something like this is bound to bring out the tinfoil hat brigade

They usually do publish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The existing 9c microgeneration FIT is no more anyway (as expected), customers will be migrated to the electric ireland microgeneration tariff when the new scheme is implemented.

air wrote: »
    The existing 9c microgeneration FIT is no more anyway (as expected), customers will be migrated to the electric ireland microgeneration tariff when the new scheme is implemented.

Where did this come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Where did this come from?
    Letter in the post from EI today.

A little over 24hrs left to get your submission in
    The closing date for submissions is 5.30pm on Thursday 18 February 2021

A little over 24hrs left to get your submission in
    The closing date for submissions is 5.30pm on Thursday 18 February 2021

TL;DR

So where is the actual consultation? I had a quick look at the about 300 page :rolleyes: PDF files in the link in the OP, but there doesn't seem to be anything to fill in. Would they not just have set up an online survey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭idc

I wasn't exactly sure what to do myself but concentrated on the first pdf "Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS) in Ireland" and the 14 or so questions at the end. Providing my own answers comments for most of them and sent that.

unkel wrote: »
    TL;DR

So where is the actual consultation? I had a quick look at the about 300 page :rolleyes: PDF files in the link in the OP, but there doesn't seem to be anything to fill in. Would they not just have set up an online survey?

Go to the link in the OP.

There are 2 docs listed there.... you only need to read/reply to the first one... thats the actual consultation document. The 2nd doc is a supporting doc only.

The email to send your response to is also in the OP link. They specifically want you to reply to the 14 consultation questions not rant and rave about ESB which I know you want to do! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Do installs completed before June fall into CEG?

6 wrote: »
    Do installs completed before June fall into CEG?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 45,250 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Yes

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭insular1

I'm planning on getting solar PV installed shortly. Would people here recommend waiting until after July to install to available of the likely higher CEP rate for FIT?

What actually let's the ESB actually know that I have PV installed? Like could I get it installed in June but just not register it until July and then claim the CEP rate. Is there some documentation needs to be submitted or something that lets the ESB know or do they just detect the electricity coming back to the grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

The CEP is meant to replace the 3k grant I believe. Nobody knows yet which will be better but I'd take money in hand any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭insular1

garo wrote: »
    The CEP is meant to replace the 3k grant I believe. Nobody knows yet which will be better but I'd take money in hand any day.

Sorry should have mentioned our house is only 5 or 6 years old so not eligible for the grant.

I know it's a guessing game really but it'd be a shame to miss out on a premium rate FIT for the sake of a few weeks.

insular1 wrote: »
    I'm planning on getting solar PV installed shortly. Would people here recommend waiting until after July to install to available of the likely higher CEP rate for FIT?

Its a guess one way or the other as no one knows what the FiT will be and what the grant will be. Your guess is as good as anyone else's.

I'd take the current grant if it were me.
    What actually let's the ESB actually know that I have PV installed? Like could I get it installed in June but just not register it until July and then claim the CEP rate. Is there some documentation needs to be submitted or something that lets the ESB know or do they just detect the electricity coming back to the grid?

You'd need to get the electrician to lie for you for that!

When you apply for the grant or an electrician signs off on the install he has to sign an NC6 form that is sent to the ESB to let them know that you are connected.

garo wrote: »

A recent webinar on the MSS said that the SEAI grant was going to be changed but not scrapped when FiT comes in. That wasnt official, just what they expected to happen.

I'd interpret that to mean that it will be revised down but I dont think they will scrap it because lets be honest the FiT is going to be worth small money (<€100/yr for CEG). The CEP payment wont be a whole lot more and the grant is currently worth €1800-€3k.

If they want to increase uptake they need to increase incentive not take it away so I think it will stay but be revised in some way.... anyones guess what that will be though but you'd have to be thinking they will reduce it...... lots of talk in the consulation paper about 3kWp so they might decide to only grant aid upto that... just guessing.

• Advertisement

Sorry should have mentioned our house is only 5 or 6 years old so not eligible for the grant.

I know it's a guessing game really but it'd be a shame to miss out on a premium rate FIT for the sake of a few weeks.

One of the kickers with the proposed premium tariff is that it might be tied to the SEAI grant!

If they do tie it to SEAI it might make you ineligible for that premium payment since you are not eligible for the current grant.

Again, all guess work. They might also decide to do away with that 2011 requirement they have at the moment. Anyones guess really.

So, you might find you install from 1 Jul or later but are still not eligible for the premium payment because your house is only 5 years old... that would be stupid but thats what they have in place for the current grant, as you know.

Advertisement