Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Consultation on a Micro-generation Support Scheme (MSS) in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭insular1

KCross wrote: »
    One of the kickers with the proposed premium tariff is that it might be tied to the SEAI grant!

If they do tie it to SEAI it might make you ineligible for that premium payment since you are not eligible for the current grant.

Again, all guess work. They might also decide to do away with that 2011 requirement they have at the moment. Anyones guess really.

So, you might find you install from 1 Jul or later but are still not eligible for the premium payment because your house is only 5 years old... that would be stupid but thats what they have in place for the current grant, as you know.

That's a really good point. Im gonna go ahead with it. Who knows with lockdowns and everything might be July before it gets installed anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

insular1 wrote: »
    That's a really good point. Im gonna go ahead with it. Who knows with lockdowns and everything might be July before it gets installed anyway!

You never know. I ordered mine in mid July last year with ongoing lockdowns. Installed 2 weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Niceday20

Some Interesting industry responses out there:
    ISEA --> irishsolarenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ISEA-Response-to-ESB-Module-Substation-Consultation.pdf
    IFA --> w ww.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/IFA-submission-to-Public-Consultation-on-the-Microgeneration-Support-Scheme.pdf
    IGBC--> w ww.igbc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/MSS_IGBC_Final.pdf

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Niceday20 wrote: »
    Some Interesting industry responses out there:
    ISEA --> irishsolarenergy.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/ISEA-Response-to-ESB-Module-Substation-Consultation.pdf
    IFA --> w ww.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/IFA-submission-to-Public-Consultation-on-the-Microgeneration-Support-Scheme.pdf
    IGBC--> w ww.igbc.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/MSS_IGBC_Final.pdf
    Anyone do a TLDR?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

They wont be giving people much encouragement dropping the current payment of 9 cent a kwh for those who are eligible. It is just the usual step backwards. When i first installed i was getting 19 cent a kwh sent back to the grid. How much would your solar pv producers need to get paid to cancel out needing the large expense of batteries for storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Patmwgs wrote: »
    They wont be giving people much encouragement dropping the current payment of 9 cent a kwh for those who are eligible. It is just the usual step backwards. When i first installed i was getting 19 cent a kwh sent back to the grid. How much would your solar pv producers need to get paid to cancel out needing the large expense of batteries for storage.

The grants were always tailored around self consumption and required batteries for larger installations, so I doubt that will change with the new feed in tariff

Personally I think market rates plus a small premium is better from a grid standpoint. It doesn't make sense to be paying a premium to people putting power on the grid when it's over capacity anyway

Now it would be great to see more intelligence built into the grid so that consumers (especially bigger ones like factories and data centers) would be incentivised to perform power intensive tasks during time when there's excess capacity in the grid

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

North of the border seem to have a lot more pv on roofs, than down here. Small incentives do seem to work. If we all had a 3 to 6kw system installed we would get the carbon imprint well down. And save a few pound eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

For the ordinary Joe, this from the IGBC submission makes simple plain sense..

..to fill the Viability gap based on a discount rate of 3.75% may be an overly complex system for
    analysing microgeneration projects. An alternative would be to use a simplified Payback Period
    Calculation. E.g. PV system currently costs €6,000 to install with a grant of €2,000. On site
    consumption gives reduced bills calculated at €300 a year with an additional €100 a year generated
    from the export guarantee. Cost of install is €4000. Annual income is €400. Simple payback 10 years

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Any news on this Gents. Time is getting tight for a Government answer, as normal.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    file:///C:/Users/barry/Downloads/137872_e970e866-76ae-4f34-877f-26980ef483ac.pdf

We don't all have access to your hard drive ;)

• Advertisement

We don't all have access to your hard drive ;)

Im an idiot.

Im an idiot.

No worries, gotten stung with that one before :)

If you're using Firefox then you need right click the link to the pdf and copy it there, not the address bar when you open it

I like how they kept pointing out that no supporting evidence was submitted for many of the suggestions

Fair enough but I don't remember there being a facility to upload any reports or papers to support anything we said :p

Also in the case of battery storage through something like V2G, there are any systems in mass deployment yet so there isn't a lot of evidence to be provided

I think the best summary I can give is "we heard your answers but ignored most of them that didn't agree with our views"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

They have literally said people said this but we don't agree with it and here is the reason why. So regardless what was suggested they are acknowledged that it doesn't matter and they believe different. Here is a small exert as an example
    "There was widespread opposition to the proposal that access to the scheme would be
    subject to a property meeting a minimum post-works BER requirement, though this is a
    necessary measure in line with the energy efficiency first principle. Similarly, many
    respondents suggested that the proposed caps on installation sizes and export volumes for
    which the CEP would be paid were overly restrictive, but such proposals are intended to
    encourage self-consumption and minimise the risk of over-remuneration."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My main takeaway from reading it is that they have been given a very clear signal that tieing an ever increasing BER to the scheme is not desired if they want to see widespread uptake.

<20% agreed with tieing the BER to the scheme.

If they end up ignoring that overwhelming input it’s just a whitewash.

The wording they used is ominous with the “no evidence provided” comment being repeatedly used. That wasn’t requested. They looked for input/opinion, not a dissertation.

I must have missed it but what July is the FIT coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

KCross wrote: »
    My main takeaway from reading it is that they have been given a very clear signal that tieing an ever increasing BER to the scheme is not desired if they want to see widespread uptake.

From reading through it, my thoughts are that they don't want to see widespread uptake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, they don't want the "headache" of variable consumer fed power into the grid

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

slave1 wrote: »
    Exactly, they don't want the "headache" of variable consumer fed power into the grid

In a couple of years data centres in Ireland will account for a third of the electricity demand. I think they're going to have to do something about the carbon cost and fines.

Is it that "variable" from there the when would have thousands of homes feeding in and being in line with weather/sunshine changes. I think it'd become predictable enough.

But when would feed in tariffs happen?
    July of some year in the future apparently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Second half of the year...

Steps Necessary for Delivery Timeline Lead Status

Launch finalised policy and pricing support regime Q2 2021 DCCAE Due H2 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

Don't see any incentive here to take up a plan such as Energia's......... There's no way I could make these numbers work here. Add the battery only -> €6k. Would ye fup off. We're on our own lads n lasses

Energia’s Solar Energy Plan:

We have this product offering available in 3 different options:

1. Full Package - Smart Battery + Solar PV: €14,000 for 2kWp Solar and 4.8kWh Smart Moixa Battery (€2,400 grant available).

2. Smart Moixa Battery only: €6,000 for 2kWp 4.8kWh (€600 grant available).

3. Solar only: €8,000 for 2kWp (€1,800 grant available).

To avail of Grid you must have a Moixa battery installed by Energia. This is subject to survey and possibly planning permission.

Energia will pay you for excess electricity you return back to the grid at a rate of €0.074 (that’s 7.4c) per kWh which is paid out as a credit on your bill every January and July.

EAB (inc. VAT):

➜ Grid Dual Fuel €1,743.35 (Discounts: 36% elec/35% gas)

➜ Grid Electricity €1,016.57 (Discounts: 36% elec)

Discounted Unit Rates:

Grid Dual Fuel: :

➜ Electricity – 17.16 c/kWh

➜ Gas: 4.80 c/kWh:

Grid Electricity: :

➜ Electricity – 17.16 c/kWh

*If you have a Day/Night meter, above 3,000kWh day usage and 2,000kWh night usage every two months you will be charged 28.70 Ex VAT, 32.57 Inc VAT day rate per unit(kWh) and 13.98 Ex VAT, 15.87 Inc VAT night rate per unit (kWh).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thankfully that is their own plan and not the true fit. At those rates and having to buy their battery you are going to lose money and not gain it!

I really really hope some won't be fooled into that €14k deal, but inevitably some will

Well that Budget went well for FIT

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

What did they do or maybe better asking what did they not do?

First €200 earned is tax free, which suggests anything above €200 will be subject to tax at an individual’s marginal rate

I didn't think it was possible but they have managed to create a sun tax. Bravo lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Nice, so after €200, you get taxed the usual 50% so the 5c you will get becomes 2c, f*ck politicians

Advertisement