Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Mario 3D World / Bowsers Fury

Options

Comments

YoshiSays wrote: »
    49 is way better than 60!

No stock in Limerick sadly I’ll wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The missus got me this for valentines. Delighted. Arrived today steel book and everything. We had a 4 player game going and it worked great. Pure madness. I didnt manage to ever finish this properly on the wii U. So looking forward to mastering champions road in the near future.

My only issue at the moment is I have even put a dent in the 3d Mario collection. I hate putting down games before playing a new one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I finally got to play this today, it was delivered this morning.
    Bowsers Fury is very interesting indeed, being able to see across the world at the different areas is fun.
    The regular game, as good as ever though the upped speed the player characters throws me off a bit.
    Still, it's a class game.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I finally got to play this today, it was delivered this morning.
    Bowsers Fury is very interesting indeed, being able to see across the world at the different areas is fun.
    The regular game, as good as ever though the upped speed the player characters throws me off a bit.
    Still, it's a class game.

I'm back humming the music. I havent even looked at bowzers fury yet. I've mostly played the multilayer with the missus and we are enjoying that together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm back humming the music. I havent even looked at bowzers fury yet. I've mostly played the multilayer with the missus and we are enjoying that together.

Nintendo valentine's day :)

• Advertisement

Starter bowsers fury and its great so far. Feels like a brand new game rather than an add-on im guessing the add-on bit means it's short:(

It might be my 65" Qled talkin but the graphics are the best I've seen on a Mario game to date. Gorgeous!

iamtony wrote: »
    Starter bowsers fury and its great so far. Feels like a brand new game rather than an add-on im guessing the add-on bit means it's short:(

It might be my 65" Qled talkin but the graphics are the best I've seen on a Mario game to date. Gorgeous!

It looks gorgeous alright. Odyssey is hit and miss, some of the worlds are ugly. Galaxy looks amazing still.

Nintendo have brilliant digital artists who can work miracles with limited hardware resources. They've been at this for decades now. The Japanese anime, manga, video game art culture is incredible.

Once they get the art right then they can sell the same game years down the line. Also, the merchandise and hardware all spins off this.

Wondering what they could pull out of the hat with 4K and HDR. That'll be a few years away yet maybe ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That's the thing about Nintendo, they have never really needed the horsepower, as long as they have the gameplay.
    It's why they can charge so much for a generation older videogame while Sony give Control away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still yet to collect mine hope to get it tomorrow morning need something to take the edge off this eternal incarnation

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Finished the main 3D World quest, so taking a break before the post game.

Bowsers Fury is a bit hit and miss for me. I feel the open world is great, but it's just very sparse, and it's really still just a hub - very akin to Wind Waker in that you have your boat/Nessie to get between gameplay (but BF doesn't have the amazing music) - The camera is a bit ropey too, especially when fighting Bowser. It focuses on Mario, and there's no way (that I can see) to focus the camera on the big guy shooting fire and you and jumping all over the place. The concept is great. Just feels a bit half baked, but that's me holding Nintendo to a higher standard than most.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Finished the main 3D World quest, so taking a break before the post game.

Bowsers Fury is a bit hit and miss for me. I feel the open world is great, but it's just very sparse, and it's really still just a hub - very akin to Wind Waker in that you have your boat/Nessie to get between gameplay (but BF doesn't have the amazing music) - The camera is a bit ropey too, especially when fighting Bowser. It focuses on Mario, and there's no way (that I can see) to focus the camera on the big guy shooting fire and you and jumping all over the place. The concept is great. Just feels a bit half baked, but that's me holding Nintendo to a higher standard than most.
    You mean your just starting the real game:cool:

Have to say I haven't noticed any problems with the camera at all and I didnt find what I played sparse in any way. Lots to do everywhere you look.

By sparse, I don't mean there's not a lot to do - Breath of the Wild was sparse, in that the world was big, but here, it just feels like there's a lot of wasted space.

I just feel that the camera doesn't always give the best view - one example, was climbing up to that big lighthouse, with the twirling crosses. Camera zoomed way out, and it was difficult to get perspective.

Look, I do think it's good, I'm just being overly critical as it's Nintendo, and it just seems a tad unpolished in places, like it's a tech demo for the next Mario game (which it likely is!)

By sparse, I don't mean there's not a lot to do - Breath of the Wild was sparse, in that the world was big, but here, it just feels like there's a lot of wasted space.

I just feel that the camera doesn't always give the best view - one example, was climbing up to that big lighthouse, with the twirling crosses. Camera zoomed way out, and it was difficult to get perspective.

Look, I do think it's good, I'm just being overly critical as it's Nintendo, and it just seems a tad unpolished in places, like it's a tech demo for the next Mario game (which it likely is!)

No worries, that part is for people like me who bough a wii u originally to play 3D World ( and mario kart ). And to try to get more money out of us. Really they should give the wii u die hards a free copy of this game! After all the cash we've thrown Nintendo's way through the good times and bad :):)

I think your right about the next Mario game, I was thinking the same

Close to 100% on BF - another 19 shines to get. It's definitely fun, but not worth the 60 if you don't care for Mario 3D World or have it previously. The Bowser as a constant threat is a good gameplay mechanic, and his appearance does change the game world enough for it to be more than a gimmick. There's stuff to polish, but it bodes well for the next Mario.

I'm sorry? Finish every single level with all 5 characters? F*** right off.

I'm sorry? Finish every single level with all 5 characters? F*** right off.

I dont think I did that on wii U but I think i did do it on the 3ds game 3d land.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I don't remember if I was ever dedicated about 100%ing games, but there's more chance I'll shove a cactus up my hole than there is of me playing every level in SM3DW with five different characters these days. At least getting all the stamps, stars and gold flags unlocks extra levels.

I'm still sticking to playing through 3D World before going into Bowser's Fury, on the basis that this makes it easier to wade through the more frustrating levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

Been playong bowsers fury after mario World and I don't like it at all, there is no cohesion, it's like when someone makes a map in Tony hawk or something just loads of stuff from another game thrown in. The big fights are boring it's just a nothing game(if ya want to call it that) which is rare from nintendo

recyclops wrote: »
    Been playong bowsers fury after mario World and I don't like it at all, there is no cohesion, it's like when someone makes a map in Tony hawk or something just loads of stuff from another game thrown in. The big fights are boring it's just a nothing game(if ya want to call it that) which is rare from nintendo

I appreciate that's your opinion, but most reviews seem to think Bowsers Fury is a pretty great addition to the game bringing nothing but good things in terms of level design and entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

oh absolutely as a free add on to a game its nice to have, if I had of played 3d world and bought it again for this then id be raging.

I think its the sandbox that fails it or it could be going from 3d world to it all the power ups and enemies are the same, cant put my finger on it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Got to Grumblump Inferno and am once again stunned at the bollox design of it, not least because even the white tanooki suit is not much help if you're finding it tricky. A real teeth-grinding chore to get through, at least for me playing on handheld.

Fysh wrote: »
    Got to Grumblump Inferno and am once again stunned at the bollox design of it, not least because even the white tanooki suit is not much help if you're finding it tricky. A real teeth-grinding chore to get through, at least for me playing on handheld.

I had to google that level to remember it. Yep, I found that confusing at first, but there is a huge visual clue on the very first block. It's a brilliant level. At least back in the day on the Wii U. :)

I had to google that level to remember it. Yep, I found that confusing at first, but there is a huge visual clue on the very first block. It's a brilliant level. At least back in the day on the Wii U. :)

Oh, the explanation of what to do is fine. I think the level is a pain in the hole (at least if you're trying to get all the stars and stamps, never mind the golden flag on top) and I feel that part of the problem is that its design means that even the white tanooki suit isn't much help when you're struggling (yes, you can float indefinitely - but you move too slowly to keep up with the blocks so you'll most likely land in the lava anyway). If you have acknowledged that you want to have "help me out here" option in your game, it's a bit crap to have levels where it doesn't work.

Just re-watching a video of that level - some things that make this level class:
    - Cat Mario and Mice on huge rotating blocks in a volcanic world, crazy ****.
    - The blocks turning and rotating don't make sense, but are so believable in the world, the physics just seem right!
    - This couldn't work in a 2D Mario; and if you had camera controls in a full on 3D Mario, you'd get confused probably.
    - The blocks thumping and sliding around.
    - The brilliant tune! So happy. How can it be happy, it's boiling lava :)
    - Mario says excellent when he gets the final green start.
    - If you position yourself right at the top of a slide you can easily collect all those coins.
    - Jump off block, take a green start, jump back on block as it pounds past.
    and it's just one level.

(edit)
    Fysh ->
    Maybe handheld is broken for you or ??? It's 30 FPS on hand hand, but that shouldn't make a difference.
    Definitely makes me want to crack out my copy again...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

€54.99 in argos now

Just re-watching a video of that level - some things that make this level class:
    - Cat Mario and Mice on huge rotating blocks in a volcanic world, crazy ****.
    - The blocks turning and rotating don't make sense, but are so believable in the world, the physics just seem right!
    - This couldn't work in a 2D Mario; and if you had camera controls in a full on 3D Mario, you'd get confused probably.
    - The blocks thumping and sliding around.
    - The brilliant tune! So happy. How can it be happy, it's boiling lava :)
    - Mario says excellent when he gets the final green start.
    - If you position yourself right at the top of a slide you can easily collect all those coins.
    - Jump off block, take a green start, jump back on block as it pounds past.
    and it's just one level.

(edit)
    Fysh ->
    Maybe handheld is broken for you or ??? It's 30 FPS on hand hand, but that shouldn't make a difference.
    Definitely makes me want to crack out my copy again...

I must try it out docked and see if it makes a difference. I find the joycon thumbstick is a bit oversensitive for movement in handheld, which probably isn't helping.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Herself got addicted to this when we start playing it on Saturday so I am switchless until the weekend now haha

Kimbot wrote: »
    Herself got addicted to this when we start playing it on Saturday so I am switchless until the weekend now haha

One great thing about the Switch is that a lot more people get to appreciate this game!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

One great thing about the Switch is that a lot more people get to appreciate this game!

Yeah, in fairness she loves most of the mario games so I think I should just buy her a switch for herself :D

Advertisement