Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage protection insurance worry

• 15-01-2021 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am hoping to obtain a single applicant self-build mortgage. I will soon have a decision on my planning application.

I am worried that I am going to be denied mortgage protection insurance. I am female, my BMI is 45, I'm a smoker and I have rheumatoid arthritis (although it is managed very well with meds).

I would imagine all the main companies will decline me. If so:

1. What options are open to me then?
    2. Are there special companies that would insure this type of a risk at a significant loading? Or am I uninsurable?

If I am uninsurable:

3. What other options do I have to obtain the mortgage?
    4. It is unlikely I would get a waiver as a single applicant right? To note though, the site was gifted to me and is worth up to 400k with planning permission, so would be worth considerably more once there is a house on it - would this help?
    5. Can another property (soon to be in my father's name, going through probate) be used as security instead?

And a side question, I am going to be looking for an exception up to 4 times, do you think this is possible?

Be grateful for any info you have. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A good life broker would have access to the underwriters of various insurers.

The only way to progress this is to make an application.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭atilladehun

+1 for a good broker here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Similar situation. Anyone any suggestions. ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Broker so the way to go. Otherwise if you get 2 declines (I think) you can apply for a waiver from your bank so that you don’t have to get mortgage protection. However if you pass away while the mortgage is still there, your estate will more than likely have to sell the house to pay off the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jacobs_Stripe

Did you try Pulse? They’re in the UK and if you are refused by companies in Ireland they generally approve you but the payment per month may be significantly higher than normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Did you try Pulse? They’re in the UK and if you are refused by companies in Ireland they generally approve you but the payment per month may be significantly higher than normal.

Due to BREXIT, probably not an option at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭3DataModem

No advice on the mortgage protection side, just two comments:
    - It can be trickier to get a waiver for single-applicant (as there is no second person jointly liable for the mortgage).
    - It can also be less tricky (as there is no family left if you passed, so easier for the estate to sell the house and clear the mortgage).

Advertisement