Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who have you used AND HAS CAUSED SURPRISES re VAT/duty post Brexit?

Options
  • 15-01-2021 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭

In contrast to the thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058148523 where there are no surprises ordering from the UK post-Brexit, I figured it would be an idea to have the alternative - a thread where people mention orders that have triggered an unwanted surprise when you get the package in the mail.

I was ALMOST caught by https://www.marksandspencer.com . On that site, they advertise euro prices and an Irish flag, so you think you are getting the package from a local M&S store. You don't. It arrives with a customs declaration, shipped from the UK.

VAT, I BELIEVE is correct on my order, they cite a vat adjustment when you order something of medium price. It is quite difficult to search for something less than the VAT limit on M&S, or at least to find something that isn't on sale offer below the VAT threshold (until the July switchover).

However, if you order, say, 4 dressing gowns at €40 each, they do not charge you a customs deposit like, say, Amazon. This means you could get a nasty surprise when your package comes into the country because you believe you are ordering from an Irish website.

Anyone got any other examples of websites that you could easily get caught out using now?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There are between this forum, bargain alerts and the online buying about 7 threads like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭phester28

If M&S charge you the Irish vat rate (currently 21%) but soon to rise back to 23% then they are collecting on behalf of the Irish government and no further vat will be collected. now if you break the duty barrier then that may be levied.

I was going to say m&S have an Irish vat number but they could trade as separate entities.
    I would guess that a courier would not be able to claim an admin fee as there is nothing to collect.

I am open to correction on any of the above

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of threads in Online Buying for this

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement