Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desktop PC upgrade to SSD

Options
  • 15-01-2021 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I have an old PC I bought cheap off adverts, plan was to stick Linux on it but kids are using with windows so I left as is. It is dog slow, now I know memory is an issue but I was going to upgrade to SSD anyway and see if any better and if not wipe it and stick on Linux

Its a non brand PC, in the bios it is Phoenix AwardBIOS. The model Name is G31S and bios ID 911D3P05. Bios Version 6.00 PG.

Chipset on it Intel NH82801GB

At the moment it has a Hitachi HDT7250 drive connected. Which seems to support SATA 3.0G/s which from what I can see will support SSD.

I asked a few of the companies and they more or less told me they had no idea.

Back in the day I would have known the answer but out of building PC's from years ago, question is would it work would anyone know? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Yes, a SATA ssd will work. It's SATA II so it won't get the most out of a modern SATA ssd in terms of transfer rate but it will still be much faster than the Hitachi hdd.

If it's the board I found (Foxconn G31s) it's a core 2 era machine though so nothing you can do to it is going to make it fast, doubly so with one dimm slot that maxes out at 2GB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

minitrue wrote: »
    Yes, a SATA ssd will work. It's SATA II so it won't get the most out of a modern SATA ssd in terms of transfer rate but it will still be much faster than the Hitachi hdd.

If it's the board I found (Foxconn G31s) it's a core 2 era machine though so nothing you can do to it is going to make it fast, doubly so with one dimm slot that maxes out at 2GB!

Thanks

Yeah seen that, I suppose you get what you pay for (30 euro).

Would this work? https://www.mymemory.ie/integral-120gb-p-series-5-sata-iii-2-5-internal-ssd-drive-560mb-s.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Pcgamer

What processor is in it and ram?

You could be trying to improve something thats not worthwhile and only fit for the bin.

Pcgamer wrote: »
    What processor is in it and ram?

You could be trying to improve something thats not worthwhile and only fit for the bin.

2GB memory and Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6Ghz

2GB memory and Pentium Dual Core E5300 @ 2.6Ghz

Should be okay for light browsing of the internet i.e not multiple tabs open and light office work but will still notice the PC been extremely slow.

Try Cex for the ram upgrade to 4gb but dont expect miracles from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Should be okay for light browsing of the internet i.e not multiple tabs open and light office work but will still notice the PC been extremely slow.

Try Cex for the ram upgrade to 4gb but dont expect miracles from it.

You must have missed the post by minitrue: the board does not support more than 2GB of RAM.

JoyPad wrote: »
    You must have missed the post by minitrue: the board does not support more than 2GB of RAM.

Jaysus Scrap it so and keep an eye out for on something like a dell optiplex with a 3rd gen I5 for 70 quid

Jaysus Scrap it so and keep an eye out for on something like a dell optiplex with a 3rd gen I5 for 70 quid

Why?
    Its a PC for kids, the last one I had was running Peppermint and was flying till the HDD went bust. Stick a SSD into this and it will increase the performance for the OS, keep the older HDD to use as a media store

If Windows is too heavy on it then install Linux and she will be flying! even if it doesn't last long the SSD can be pulled out and reused

Also if it does go bang perfect to teach the kids about PC's.....could do with a bit of a refresher myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Do they still do the kids version of Ubuntu?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not sure about Ubuntu but I stuck a kids version of Linux on an old laptop a few years ago

• Advertisement

Seesaw and Youtube is all it needs to run :-)

I get what your saying but the cpu benchmark is around 900 and only has 2GB of Ram.

Yes you could put a light version of Linux on it but I'd just get a 3rd gen I5 optiplex for under a hundred quid that would run excellent instead of a slow laggy computer.

OK got SSD cheap, hooked up and working. Question is now how do I move OS to the SSD? it is windows but I don't have the key, can I get the key from the system now?

Advertisement