Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC/Broadband issue

Options
  • 15-01-2021 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently received some excellent advice on the PC Building forum and if this query is better placed there then mods feel free to move it.

My son took delivery of a custom built fairly high spec gaming PC with all the bells and whistles about 6 months ago. Up to now he has been very happy with it except that he is complaining in the last month that the broadband speed is so slow. We have Sky Broadband that seems to be working fine. Sky Q was recently installed recently.

If I run a speed test with an iPad or mobile phone it returns between 31 and 75 Mbps download speed and roughly 15Mbps upload.

However when I test it on the PC the latest result is 1.6 Mbps download and 7.13Mbps upload. The PC is no more than 20 feet from the router with no real barriers between them. Could it be a wifi card issue? I've checked the wifi status on the Network and Internet Settings menu and it's returning a Link Speed of 54/86Mbps.

Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

veetwin wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently received some excellent advice on the PC Building forum and if this query is better placed there then mods feel free to move it.

My son took delivery of a custom built fairly high spec gaming PC with all the bells and whistles about 6 months ago. Up to now he has been very happy with it except that he is complaining in the last month that the broadband speed is so slow. We have Sky Broadband that seems to be working fine. Sky Q was recently installed recently.

If I run a speed test with an iPad or mobile phone it returns between 31 and 75 Mbps download speed and roughly 15Mbps upload.

However when I test it on the PC the latest result is 1.6 Mbps download and 7.13Mbps upload. The PC is no more than 20 feet from the router with no real barriers between them. Could it be a wifi card issue? I've checked the wifi status on the Network and Internet Settings menu and it's returning a Link Speed of 54/86Mbps.

Any suggestions welcome!

Look into getting some power line adapters maybe. They provide a wired connection to the router through the power network of the house although I find their effectiveness varies from house to house

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't use wifi - use an ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

srsly78 wrote: »
    Don't use wifi - use an ethernet cable.

Not really practical I'm afraid to run a cable from the phone point to the back of the house where the PC is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Check you have the latest recommended drivers installed for the networks card on the manufacturers website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Aodhan5000 wrote: »
    Look into getting some power line adapters maybe. They provide a wired connection to the router through the power network of the house although I find their effectiveness varies from house to house

Fitted a power line adapter got from Harvey Norman last night. Great bit of kit for €40. Problem solved. Download speed went from 1.6mbps to 45mbps. Thanks all for the input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

veetwin wrote: »
    Fitted a power line adapter got from Harvey Norman last night. Great bit of kit for €40. Problem solved. Download speed went from 1.6mbps to 45mbps. Thanks all for the input.

Good to see it worked for you. Not as good as direct ethernet but if it gets the job done the happy out :).Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Also try updating your wifi drivers. If you are that close then your speeds should not be that bad.

Advertisement