Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please - Wheelset upgrade

Options
  • 16-01-2021 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2369-slr-8.9-carbon-disc-2021.html

Hi all, I'm picking up one of these through the bike to work next week. The stock wheels are fairly basic and I'm going to upgrade them straight away. The rest I'll upgrade over time.

So, can I ask for some forum expert advice on a sweetspot costing around the 500 euro mark please (money is a limited asset!). The style of riding is mostly endurance, typical Irish roads and back roads, but I want to think I'm cool and fast...

My initial thoughts are something carbon, running tubeless with Conti 5000TL on them. But, if someone has knowledge on an optimal setup let me know.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hunt four seasons seem to have a decent reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Hunt four seasons seem to have a decent reputation.

Thanks Magicbastarder, something like https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-disc-brake-wheels/products/hunt-34-aero-wide-disc-wheelset?

Anyone experience of these?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lawdie wrote: »
    (money is a limited asset!).

If this is the case those wheels are perfectly fine and no need to upgrade at all imo. Some folks get wrapped in upgrading things straight away just for a look. Ride it till you run into issues and then upgrade. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Sure you might as well get the use of the wheels that are on the bike which looks a decent one unless you are really into it big time with real high end bikes and cycling i think talking of upgrades from a lot of cyclists is way over the top for the level they cycle at .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

9.4kgs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I changed the pr2s on my defy to hunt aero 33s. Did I need to, no, did I want to, yes. 40th birthday present for myself.

I won't be racing any time soon but its like a completely new bike. Much lighter but the main difference is comfort. The bike sails along the road much better than before as they are carbon and dampen out road buzz better than alu. 3 year warranty with the hunts and they are fantastic, very robust also.

Like you, I only had €400 so I got €500 on flexi fi or whatever its called now. I wouldn't mind, the bike was already my 40th birthday present, I'd only gone in to buy tubes, the €400 was for my car insurance. The minute the guy in the shop took the wheels out of the box and put them in my hands, I smiled like a child at Christmas. I had to buy them. It was like he put a gun to my head. She went mental when she heard I bought them.

But hunts have a very good rep, alu or carbon.

https://www.boardmanbikes.com/gb_en/products/2369-slr-8.9-carbon-disc-2021.html

Hi all, I'm picking up one of these through the bike to work next week. The stock wheels are fairly basic and I'm going to upgrade them straight away. The rest I'll upgrade over time.

So, can I ask for some forum expert advice on a sweetspot costing around the 500 euro mark please (money is a limited asset!). The style of riding is mostly endurance, typical Irish roads and back roads, but I want to think I'm cool and fast...

My initial thoughts are something carbon, running tubeless with Conti 5000TL on them. But, if someone has knowledge on an optimal setup let me know.

That's some amount of bike for the money too. Very nice. Good luck with it.

byrnem31 wrote: »
    they are carbon and dampen out road buzz better than alu.

Most of that is in your head to be honest I find little to no difference. A set of carbon bars and seat post would be more noticable.

If you want them and can afford them I guess why not but to finance a set of wheels when the bike OP is looking at has perfectly good wheels would be foolish imo.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Most of that is in your head to be honest I find little to no difference. A set of carbon bars and seat post would be more noticable.

If you want them and can afford them I guess why not but to finance a set of wheels when the bike OP is looking at has perfectly good wheels would be foolish imo.

I swap my wheels around regularly. I have the alu pr2s with big cushy 35c gravel tyres on them for gravel riding and I run them at a low pressure. Very comfortable.

Then I have the hunts with gp 4 seasons 32s that I run about 80 psi.

The difference between both wheelsets is night and day comfort wise. The carbons offer a far better ride by a mile. It's like two different bikes really.

The hunts are 700gs lighter too. I know I could lose that taking a dump but you'd notice it the second you pick the bike up.

Well worth it if you have it but that's just my opinion. I do agree that stock wheels are fine too and they serve a purpose. When I have the carbons on, I can't cycle like I stole it and bounce the bike up and down paths.

• Advertisement

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I swap my wheels around regularly. I have the alu pr2s with big cushy 35c gravel tyres on them for gravel riding and I run them at a low pressure. Very comfortable.

Then I have the hunts with gp 4 seasons 32s that I run about 80 psi.

The difference between both wheelsets is night and day comfort wise. The carbons offer a far better ride by a mile. It's like two different bikes really.

The hunts are 700gs lighter too. I know I could lose that taking a dump but you'd notice it the second you pick the bike up.

Well worth it if you have it but that's just my opinion. I do agree that stock wheels are fine too and they serve a purpose. When I have the carbons on, I can't cycle like I stole it and bounce the bike up and down paths.

Yeah I'm sure it's all small changes that make the bikes feel different.

I'm lucky in that my N+1 is more like N+12 and the carbon wheels honestly get used the least and not for any particular reason just the bike they're on I don't use too often as it's on the trainer.

The gravel bike and single speeds seem to get the most love :D but for road riding my mavic SLRs are usually the most used and again it's just because the frame they're on.

In anycase I digress, OP best of luck with the new bike it looks the part and the wheels are round which is a good start :D

Thank you for the helpful replies.

The hunt seem to shine through, I was looking at the Primes on Chain Reaction also.

MojoMaker, I’ll solve the weight issue by drilling holes in the carbon. Your comment was not helpful. Maybe you were trying to be funny but it appears more insulting, it would be great to spend 6k on a bike and come in under >7kg but I’m not in that league.

The bike is coming in with order discount at €1,593.59. That to me for the spec, for in stock unit, through the bike to work scheme is pretty good, but I’m sure someone will tell me otherwise. I did also consider the Specialized equivalent.

The stock wheels should be fine, agreed. But, if there are better options that would improve longer endurance spins it would be better to upgrade now, besides putting new wheels after I’ve ridden the bike for a year or two would seem wrong to me!

Yes I also considered the stock, seatpost, stem and handlebars. The bike I initially wanted was the SLR 9.2, but Boardman have stated this will not be in stock until the 2022 release later this year! Again, I am not set on the wheelset upgrade and could allocate the budget to these areas if this made better sense. I would prefer to make these upgrades now to this unit when purchasing. Otherwise I'll allocate the money to other steeds...

Any other thoughts?

Spend your money on a good set of pedals, shoes and clothing. You'll be getting the bike soon and the weather here is manky until May and it's a lot easier to get out when you're wearing the right clothing.

Keep in mind this goes against everything I normally do myself :D but these are the most sensible items for someone setting up.

We're all grown ups so if you want the wheels there's no need to justify the spend to anyone other than the war office and in that case they're always a bargain second hand. :D

iwillftfu you forgot to add a set of bicycle clips, preferable yellow and reflective.
    Again thanks to those proving helpful comments, let's close the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Have you all the bits and pieces that you need like pumps lights clothing etc because those costs will add up if you want the new wheels as well .As has just been said weather will be iffy on and off for a while yet so you need the right gear as well .

iwillftfu you forgot to add a set of bicycle clips, preferable yellow and reflective.
    Again thanks to those proving helpful comments, let's close the thread.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not :confused:

good luck with the bike.

Thank you rolling_boh, yes I have some bits and bobs, but there is always something more or shiny to be purchased.

I'm not sure if that's sarcasm or not :confused:

good luck with the bike.

No its full on sarcasm. Please take it that way.

If you have anything useful to post would be great.

Wow what an absolute prick. Good man

Wow what an absolute prick. Good man

I'm asking about bike upgrades and your going on about clothing and setting up.

Regarding your foul language, would be happy to meet up and have you say that to my face.

• Advertisement

mod note - up your game please. the advice was given honestly and with good intentions by someone who probably knows a lot more about bikes than you do.
    if you don't like honest advice, don't ask for it.

Lawdie, don't post in this thread again, if you have an issue, PM me.
    everyone else, as Lawdie cannot respond, please don't react further to their posts.
    actually, thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement