Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Alan Farrell not forced out of politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It was an extraordinary infantile interview Maria Bailey gave voluntarily on national radio when keeping her mouth shut would have saved her that was her undoing.

She just couldn't keep her mouth shut, it wasn't in her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Wilhelm III

Because Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Didn't the whole Dutch government resign the other day because they got something wrong?
    Just doesn't happen here, and we're ok with it, so why would they resign or be forced out?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,297 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn't the whole Dutch government resign the other day because they got something wrong?
    Just doesn't happen here, and we're ok with it, so why would they resign or be forced out?

It used to not happen here

Happens a lot more now..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The public were furious about what Bailey did, why weren't they as upset about what Farrell did? he had previously talked about compo culture in Ireland, that makes it worse in my opinion.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2731580/fine-gael-td-alan-farrell-blasts-compo-culture-in-schools-as-he-himself-sues-for-e15000-following-car-crash/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

pgj2015 wrote: »

The public were furious about what Bailey did, why weren't they as upset about what Farrell did? he had previously talked about compo culture in Ireland, that makes it worse in my opinion.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/2731580/fine-gael-td-alan-farrell-blasts-compo-culture-in-schools-as-he-himself-sues-for-e15000-following-car-crash/
    Whatever about Farrell or Bailey, please stop using that toilet paper as a credible source

Whatever about Farrell or Bailey, please stop using that toilet paper as a credible source

The same stories were printed in various different papers, the sun, Irish independant, Irish times etc ,what does it matter, its all true.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The same stories were printed in various different papers, the sun, Irish independant, Irish times etc ,what does it matter, its all true.
    Oh, I'm not denying that both should have been sacked from politics!

I can't see how anyone could vote for such a chancer, definitely not any business owners who know all about how compo culture effects their insurance premiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

As said it was the radio interview that did Marie Bailey. It was the sheer in your face arrogance that rubbed people the wrong way. I think most people here are chancers a bit themselves so they trying to fake a compo isn't seen as the worst thing in the world (unless a Traveller or non white, then it is just an excuse to have a pop at them).

• Advertisement

Augme wrote: »
    As said it was the radio interview that did Marie Bailey. It was the sheer in your face arrogance that rubbed people the wrong way. I think most people here are chancers a bit themselves so they trying to fake a compo isn't seen as the worst thing in the world (unless a Traveller or non white, then it is just an excuse to have a pop at them).

Im not sure about this. I think most people wont make a claim unless they really are injured, its a scummy thing to do. I have been in 2 or 3 serious accidents but wasnt injured so wouldnt claim, but like people are putting in claims when there is nothing wrong with them. going around with walking sticks, and getting physio, then the stick and physio all stop the minute the claim gets paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

Most people here are racist chancers? :D

Eh OK

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bailey made a claim because she fell off a swing in a hotel and claimed that the hotel were negligent for not warning about the swing or not having a supervisor or what not.

Farrell made his claim based on a road traffic accident.

The former could be seen as spurious and just chancing ones arm, the latter however happens every day of the week and would be seen as legitimate.

That's the difference OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭Augme

Im not sure about this. I think most people wont make a claim unless they really are injured, its a scummy thing to do. I have been in 2 or 3 serious accidents but wasnt injured so wouldnt claim, but like people are putting in claims when there is nothing wrong with them. going around with walking sticks, and getting physio, then the stick and physio all stop the minute the claim gets paid out.

I didn't say most people would make a claim, just they are chancers a bit themselves. They are happy to bed the rules in lots of situations, not to the level of a fake claim maybe, but they also see a fake claim as not that serious because they are happy to have the rules bended when it suits them.

Id see it and hear about it all the time. People giving their friends/family/friends mates/clients favours in sceranios like work, job promotions, contracts, sports clubs etc etc. At the end of the day if you are the type of person who is willing to do that and have it doone for you then it's unlikely you view faking a claim as such an egregious action.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Patriarchy?!

I'm going to with Patriarchy.

Rather than her actually infantile interview, her knowledge of GAA and no matter how well SOR knew her.
    No matter how badly she handled her issue or implicated other TDs...

It's not that she was flailingly incompetent...
    It was definitely patriarchy ;)

Bailey made a claim because she fell off a swing in a hotel and claimed that the hotel were negligent for not warning about the swing or not having a supervisor or what not.

Farrell made his claim based on a road traffic accident.

The former could be seen as spurious and just chancing ones arm, the latter however happens every day of the week and would be seen as legitimate.

That's the difference OP.

The impact of the Farrell "crash" was tiny by all accounts. The judge didnt think he was injured at all, that is why he only got 2,500. look when a jugde give 2,500, you know he thinks the claimant is trying it on, same as Bailey was.

I was in a crash last year, the other party was 100% at fault, my finger and neck were sore for a week or so, but all was ok after that. im just not a scumbag who puts in claims for handy money like some people are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I can't see how anyone could vote for such a chancer, definitely not any business owners who know all about how compo culture effects their insurance premiums.

Typical FG voter is a wannabe Delboy, forever pulling strokes hoping for a payoff, no moral compass so wouldnt see anything wrong with what Farrell did,

I didn't say most people would make a claim, just they are chancers a bit themselves. They are happy to bed the rules in lots of situations, not to the level of a fake claim maybe, but they also see a fake claim as not that serious because they are happy to have the rules bended when it suits them.

Id see it and hear about it all the time. People giving their friends/family/friends mates/clients favours in sceranios like work, job promotions, contracts, sports clubs etc etc. At the end of the day if you are the type of person who is willing to do that and have it doone for you then it's unlikely you view faking a claim as such an egregious action.

maybe its just me but it infuriates me seeing fake claims, its anti business and a serious threat to peoples livelihoods.

When you have and have had murderers in the Dail via Sinn Fein, it's hard to force out others for lesser offences.

Hearsay or convicted by a court?, FFG have at least one alleged murderer and an number of alleged rapists in their ranks so tell us what you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Maybe he wasn’t up high enough.

• Advertisement

Heard somewhere that certain FG candidates are "presented" to the backers, those that are will have a higher level of backing than Maria who was there to meet a quota

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't understand it either. How did he get re-elected? He committed fraud against the car rental company.
    The electorate need to wake up to the FF+FG power scam.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I don't understand it either. How did he get re-elected? He committed fraud against the car rental company.
    The electorate need to wake up to the FF+FG power scam.

I suppose it was like how that politician who got re-elected after being caught looking for a bribe, it was on RTE. I think he got more votes actually. some people deserve the politicians they vote into power.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hugh-mcelvaney-elected-4652168-May2019/

Independent councillor Joe Queenan from west Sligo said the people had decided his fate after he was re-elected to Sligo county council after securing the second highest number of first preferences in the Ballymote-Tubbercurry area.

Mr Queenan came to national attention after being interviewed by an undercover reporter on an RTÉ Investigates programme, which he described as “a sting” that had led to a difficult three-and-a-half years for him.

That was one of the other corrupt politicians, also got re elected, even though the whole country saw he was crooked and not fit for office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Its a fairly big "wrong" isn't it?

As many as 26,000 parents were wrongly accused by the Dutch tax authorities of fraudulently claiming child allowance over several years from 2012, with as many as 10,000 families forced to repay tens of thousands of euros, in some cases leading to unemployment, bankruptcies and divorces.

The tax authority admitted last year that at least 11,000 were singled out for special scrutiny because of their ethnic origin or dual nationality, fuelling longstanding allegations of systemic racism in the Netherlands.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/15/dutch-government-resigns-over-child-benefits-scandal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Bailey tried it on with a silly case and had to withdraw it. Career over.

Farrell tried it on with a silly case and managed to get a small payout. He therefore can brazen it out and threaten to take to court anyone who claims he is anything other than an injured party - I blame the judge in the farrell case - it was shown that he tried to claim for pre existing damage to his car. Judge should have ruled against him.

Independent councillor Joe Queenan from west Sligo said the people had decided his fate after he was re-elected to Sligo county council after securing the second highest number of first preferences in the Ballymote-Tubbercurry area.

Mr Queenan came to national attention after being interviewed by an undercover reporter on an RTÉ Investigates programme, which he described as “a sting” that had led to a difficult three-and-a-half years for him.

That was one of the other corrupt politicians, also got re elected, even though the whole country saw he was crooked and not fit for office.

The FG one with the tacky gold and shiny suit ran in a electoral area with 5seats and only 6 candidates, RTE confronted John O Donnell when he was canvassing with his mother, a lot of people were angered by this and he got a large vote

mickdw wrote: »
    Bailey tried it on with a silly case and had to withdraw it. Career over.

Farrell tried it on with a silly case and managed to get a small payout. He therefore can brazen it out and threaten to take to court anyone who claims he is anything other than an injured party - I blame the judge in the farrell case - it was shown that he tried to claim for pre existing damage to his car. Judge should have ruled against him.

Didnt Bailey use her maiden name as well so people wouldnt cop who she was, that was very sly and a stupid move. id say if people complained enough, Farrell would have been forced out as well.

The FG one with the tacky gold and shiny suit ran in a electoral area with 5seats and only 6 candidates, RTE confronted John O Donnell when he was canvassing with his mother, a lot of people were angered by this and he got a large vote

why would people care about that? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭CrazyFather1

Lads if you are complaining about Maria have a read of what her after got up to and it will blow your mind.....

Advertisement