Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was Alan Farrell not forced out of politics?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

mickdw wrote: »
    Bailey tried it on with a silly case and had to withdraw it. Career over.

Farrell tried it on with a silly case and managed to get a small payout. He therefore can brazen it out and threaten to take to court anyone who claims he is anything other than an injured party - I blame the judge in the farrell case - it was shown that he tried to claim for pre existing damage to his car. Judge should have ruled against him.

Yeah the judge essentially called him a liar and gave him a small payout.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Typical FG voter is a wannabe Delboy, forever pulling strokes hoping for a payoff, no moral compass so wouldnt see anything wrong with what Farrell did,

That's an awful amount of people.

Have you a link to back up that claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I'm sure someone has as list handy,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I'm sure someone has as list handy,

Thought so.

I mean like the FG leader literally pulled strokes in handing out confidential documents to his mates.....surely this represents the ethos of its membership and voters best,given not 1 senior member spoke out againest it??

• Advertisement

Thought so.

Okay Terri Crone, you( might be the same person) MonkHutch, Dinny , Veronavirus, Lowry, LarryMurphy, the guy who was caught playing with himself on the plane, Seanie Fitz, Pete Taylor, you get the drift,

pgj2015 wrote: »
    why would people care about that? :confused:

The mother is well liked, widowed quite young, was a councillor her self

• Registered Users Posts: 9,317 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The mother is well liked, widowed quite young, was a councillor her self

I doubt RTE ran after them with burning sticks and pitchforks. im sure she was alright. Funny how the locals blame RTE and dont question why they approached him and his mother in the first place.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's been an election since then. He's garnered enough votes, so the only people to "blame" are the Fingal electorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

There's a difference in Farrell and Bailey,

One went on a radio station, and made an infamous interview that will be etched on people's minds for a considerable period of time.

The other, though definitely a questionable claim, it did however make its way through the courts, where a judge awarded him some compo.

Hard to get rid of someone when the court deemed their claim somewhat worthy tbh. Even if the rest of us know bullshyt when we see it.

Ultimately though, Bailey and the Black and Tans cost FG the last election. They never seem to learn.

• Advertisement

I doubt RTE ran after them with burning sticks and pitchforks. im sure she was alright. Funny how the locals blame RTE and dont question why they approached him and his mother in the first place.

Theres a clip of it about, RTE dude seemed desperate to get some other sort of reaction, if it hadn't happened O Donnel would have been unlikely to be elected

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Lisa Chambers (FF) still around after getting caught red handed...or as a party spokesperson said "she loves democracy so much she votes multiple times"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-complains-over-voting-by-fianna-f%C3%A1il-s-lisa-chambers-1.4117271

Voters kicked her out in the 2020 gen election, alas she now sits in The Seanad as Deputy Leader having been nominated by the FF party.
    Special thanks to all yiz who voted to keep it 10 years ago, you know who you are.

So folks its not what you did that counts, its who supports you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Bailey thought she was too big to fail. Also Farrell's was a cheesy bog standard scam. Bailey's was arrogance and entitlement personified.
    We like cute hoors not smart arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Bailey's interview and her claim that none showed her how to use a swing were what screwed her. An adult blaming someone for not showing them how to use a swing, no way back from that.

https://twitter.com/MarianKeyes/status/1195105440855666691?s=08

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

purifol0 wrote: »
    Lisa Chambers (FF) still around after getting caught red handed...or as a party spokesperson said "she loves democracy so much she votes multiple times"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/fine-gael-complains-over-voting-by-fianna-f%C3%A1il-s-lisa-chambers-1.4117271

Voters kicked her out in the 2020 gen election, alas she now sits in The Seanad as Deputy Leader having been nominated by the FF party.
    Special thanks to all yiz who voted to keep it 10 years ago, you know who you are.

So folks its not what you did that counts, its who supports you.

People wanted the Seanad reformed and that is exactly what FG and Enda Kenny promised in the aftermath of the referendum, a promise that still hasnt been acted upon or delivered.

In fact it was Enda Kenny himself who came up with the idea of abolishing the Seanad directly after a shock opinion poll showed Fine Gael suffering almost a 10% slide. It had never even been discussed within FG up until that point and his own TDs were blindsided by it. Kennys leadership was under pressure after the opinion poll so out of the blue he lurched straight for a populist position.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The people had their chance to get rid of Farrell last year, yet they voted him back in.
    We get what we deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Whatever about Farrell or Bailey, please stop using that toilet paper as a credible source

Think you're being a bit unfair on toilet paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I’m unsure why FG ran him.
    People will vote for their party no matter what.
    People will moan about campo culture and vote for Alan.
    They’ll moan about old school FF and wanting something new and will vote for Willie O’Dea.
    They’ll go on about drink drivers being scum of the Earth, should be sacked, etc and they’ll happily vote for Pat Buckley(SF) because he’s great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I’m unsure why FG ran him.
    People will vote for their party no matter what.
    People will moan about campo culture and vote for Alan.
    They’ll moan about old school FF and wanting something new and will vote for Willie O’Dea.
    They’ll go on about drink drivers being scum of the Earth, should be sacked, etc and they’ll happily vote for Pat Buckley(SF) because he’s great.

Fine Gaels Michael Hegarty, and FFs Barry Cowen both tell me Drink drivers are the lowest of the low.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Muahahaha wrote: »
    People wanted the Seanad reformed and that is exactly what FG and Enda Kenny promised in the aftermath of the referendum, a promise that still hasnt been acted upon or delivered.

In fact it was Enda Kenny himself who came up with the idea of abolishing the Seanad directly after a shock opinion poll showed Fine Gael suffering almost a 10% slide. It had never even been discussed within FG up until that point and his own TDs were blindsided by it. Kennys leadership was under pressure after the opinion poll so out of the blue he lurched straight for a populist position.

Is that so?

Enda Kenny: 'Genuine Seanad reform would be almost impossible to achieve'

https://www.thejournal.ie/seanad-reform-967333-Jun2013/

• Advertisement

Farrell is very lucky to still be involved in politics. you would think politicians get paid enough that they don't have to go looking for more from a dodgy claim.

purifol0 wrote: »
    Is that so?

Enda Kenny: 'Genuine Seanad reform would be almost impossible to achieve'

https://www.thejournal.ie/seanad-reform-967333-Jun2013/

That article is from before the referendum. It was after he lost the referendum that he promised Fine Gael would reform the Seanad
    The Government has insisted after the unexpected defeat of the Seanad referendum that it will press ahead with its plans for a raft of constitutional reforms.

The Coalition has also signalled that it will examine an overhaul of the Seanad in the wake of the people’s decision to keep the Upper House. This was something it refused to grant in the referendum itself, which was cast as a choice between abolition or retention.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/government-says-seanad-reform-is-on-the-agenda-1.1552321

Nothing was ever done about reform and it continues as it is to this day.

There is nothing wrong with the idea of an upper house to act as a check and balance on the lower house, thats it main function and why practically every demicracy in the western world has one. For example see Boris trying to roll over the Northern Ireland protocol and breaking international law just a couple of months ago until the House of Lords rebuked him. If there wasnt an upper house to keep him in check he could have just done as he pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,055 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Good question

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The people had their chance to get rid of Farrell last year, yet they voted him back in.
    We get what we deserve.

Or maybe he just delivers for his constituency and that’s what really matters ?

Sometimes think people get lost in tv shows and American news. Ireland is still local. All the bluster in the Dail isn’t really material for a lot of voters. Most don’t even read watch or see what happens there.

I grew up in Fingal and there has been a lot of support for weird candidates for years. My voting area sure had Daly in time and time again.

Just like how the brothers from Kerry keep cropping up. Think quicker people stop assuming it’s The West Wing and actually understand how Irish politics and electorates work the better.

Varadker for example has been on a slide. Many would assume its due to his Taoiseach stuff and whatever but more impactful is actually the bull**** he promised his constituency or how he was a big advocate around certain topics like child disability etc and then abandoned in when he took over the party.

At the end of the day we don’t vote country wide for Taoiseachs etc. it’s still just areas. And people in Varadkers area havnt forgotten that stuff and as people share those experiences around it causes shifts

Like Daly for example lost a decent amount of support in the mid 00s to do with offensive comments she made at a local event that spread around Fingal, nothing to do with any thing in the Dail and it wasn’t reported on nor did anyone outside of Fingal probably even know about it.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Or maybe he just delivers for his constituency and that’s what really matters ?

Sometimes think people get lost in tv shows and American news. Ireland is still local. All the bluster in the Dail isn’t really material for a lot of voters. Most don’t even read watch or see what happens there.

I grew up in Fingal and there has been a lot of support for weird candidates for years. My voting area sure had Daly in time and time again.

Just like how the brothers from Kerry keep cropping up. Think quicker people stop assuming it’s The West Wing and actually understand how Irish politics and electorates work the better.

Varadker for example has been on a slide. Many would assume its due to his Taoiseach stuff and whatever but more impactful is actually the bull**** he promised his constituency or how he was a big advocate around certain topics like child disability etc and then abandoned in when he took over the party.

At the end of the day we don’t vote country wide for Taoiseachs etc. it’s still just areas. And people in Varadkers area havnt forgotten that stuff and as people share those experiences around it causes shifts

Like Daly for example lost a decent amount of support in the mid 00s to do with offensive comments she made at a local event that spread around Fingal, nothing to do with any thing in the Dail and it wasn’t reported on nor did anyone outside of Fingal probably even know about it.

Do you think it was the people in Baileys constituency who were the reason fine gael give her the push or was it an outraged Irish public?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Do you think it was the people in Baileys constituency who were the reason fine gael give her the push or was it an outraged Irish public?

That was different imo. Commenting more on Farrell.

But no one should be mistaken if FG felt she still had her constituency’s support and was viable she wouldn’t have been pushed.

But no one should be mistaken if FG felt she still had her constituency’s support and was viable she wouldn’t have been pushed.

There was a story at the time that FG did private polling in the constituency and it showed there was a good chance that Bailey would lose the seat, that was the catalyst for getting rid of her and putting Jennifer Carroll McNeill on the ticket instead.

That was different imo. Commenting more on Farrell.

I think fine gael took a lot of stick about Bailey all over the country while canvassing for the election, not just in her constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

He should have been kicked out too.
    Ultimately you need to blame the people who continued to vote for him.
    He’s in my constituency and I am refusing to vote FG as a result of him being left on the ticket.

• Advertisement

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    He should have been kicked out too.
    Ultimately you need to blame the people who continued to vote for him.
    He’s in my constituency and I am refusing to vote FG as a result of him being left on the ticket.

If everyone in his constituency ran a business, he wouldn't be kept long. it boils my blood because I know all about business insurance costs and how chancers like him make it so difficult for business owners to pay insurance costs.

Advertisement