Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended settings - Air to water heat pump

Options
  • 16-01-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved into a new house and am looking for some suggestions.
    Our electricity bill for September/October was very low, however November/December bill was €400, a lot higher than I expected in an A rated house.
    Thinking that I am not using my heating system correctly or most efficiently.
    So hoping someone here can help.

The system I have is:
    https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/AE090JXYDEH/EU/
    This unit is outside

And in our hotpress we have a tank with this controller:

url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.samsung.com%2Fie%2Fbusiness%2Fclimate%2Fac-acc-mwr-we13n%2Fmwr-we13n%2F&psig=AOvVaw01B4KE-QGY32Z07TUQR-Si&ust=1610894810237000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCKil4_jYoO4CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAI

We have 2 thermostats, 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs, and also obviously hot water.
    All the radiators (apart from the 2 in the same room as the thermostats) have thermostatic valves on them.

Can any suggest how this system should be used most efficiently?
    Both in terms of heating the house and the hot water?

Thanks in advance.

N

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 amulroy

I had the same problem with my HP system when it was installed.
    I since noticed that the trigger thermocouple for the hot water tank was down at the bottom of the tank near the cold water inlet, thus HP was coming on nearly all the time to re-heat the bottom of the tank after any reasonable use.
    I've since moved the thermocouple from a lower position to a central position on the tank and now the HP only heats the top half of the tank when the temp goes down. I have a 300L SS tank and I don't need 300 L of hot water so 1/2 a tank suffices.
    My bills are much lower now, eg Nov/ Dec was €176 and the same time last year when I had the HP installed was €420.
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nheav

Thanks a million - good suggestion.

I went and looked at the tank, and I see a fitting that I assume is a thermostat about half way up (or down!!!) the tank.

It's labelled a Thermowatt Alloy 800, and it looks like this:

twatt-in1-500x500.gif

Would that be what you are referring to? Or is it something different?

Thanks a mill,

N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭John.G

That's a electric heating element, a HP may circulate hot water through a coil immersed in the cylinder or it may pump the water through a external heat exchanger which is the only way I can see the above heating only 1/2 a tank.

The position of the cylinder thermostat will determine what volume of hot water is used before calling for re heat, if the stat is near the bottom then the HP will cut in when a very small volume of water is used and if located say 1/2 way up will cut in when 1/2 the vol of hot water has been used and the HP will then start circulating hot water through the same coil but will still reheat the whole cylinder, there will be savings in cylinder losses, maybe to the order of ~ 1.5 kwh/day?.
    You can get a cylinder with two coils and only utilise the upper one.

Advertisement