Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tuskrus II - Revealify

Options
  • 16-01-2021 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Kicking things RIGHT OFF!

Categories:

A song with no lyrics
    Just as it says on the tin... I'll accept something with very very few lyrics if absolutely necessary.

A song from an animated movie
    There are some absolute beauties that come out of these movies, and some songs from movies you wouldn't expect that I've even put into my regular rotation. I wanna hear moar!

A song that will make me cry
    It could be because of the lyrics, it could be the music, it could be because the whole song is complete garbage. Whatever you got, I wanna listen.

A song that will get my blood flowing
    Some might call these workout songs. I call them BELTERS. Gimme something that's gonna get me wanting to hop around the place like a drunko in a disco.

A song with some incredible drums
    I like a good drum. I LOVE a good military drum beat, if you go that route, your in for a winner. Smash my face in with your drumsticks.

A song with a fantabulous solo
    Solo? Guitar? Banjo? Keyboard? Tin Whistle? I'm down for whatever.

Let's have SAX
    I have a serious obsession with good sax music. Though I find it hard to discover more a lot of the time. Pls hlp!

Like a mashed potato
    Gimme a mash up. I LOVE mashups. Especially ones that cross genres you'd never expect to combine well. Few mashups, be grand.

I wanted to hear new music this time, so in an effort to elevate those songs that i'd not heard, in each round, if there were less than 10 songs i'd head before, each would lose 1 point, if there were more than 10, each would lose 2.

Here we go!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Round 1 - A song with no lyrics

with 12 points for Music For A Found Harmonium - by Music From the Penguin Cafe | Serious Live Music -
    fixxxer

Brainvomit

haven't even looked at the name of band or song. no idea what to expect. some scene setting here. i like. sounds like we're atop a hill, are we going to a party later on? we're just getting everything ready for the event. dancing and hustling around a large oak tree. the sun's going down. oooh is there a spy in our midst? a baddy on the horizon? nope. back to organising. i see hobbitses. they're jolly. but there's some underlying uncertainty here... somethings not quite right. we're too busy with the party though. it's night time now. the party is a go. ah. that's the end. noice

with 11 points for Cowboy Bebop OST1 - Tank!,
    Rikand

Brainvomit:

ok, bassy. tappy. that voice. brass. this feels like the intro to an old school police movie. love the brass line. keeps going keeps going. keeps you on your feet. noice solo there. keeps going.... too longish. bit boring after a while. nice ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Mah gawd a Walrus outta nowhere! :eek:

with 13 points for Flatt & Scruggs: Foggy Mountain Breakdown,
    purp

Brainvomit:

ooh, speedy banjo. gimme dat. lovely backing bass beat. yes, let's get ourselves on the road and run the **** away from whoever's chasing us. so much going on here to keep track of, but it's tasty. oooh solo, hi there. eye-closer, head-swayer. love when the banjo just get's that intensity. i could listen to this all day. think i'm about to have a heart attack tho, this is not for the faint hearted. few fiddles squeeling in. i think the recording i'm listening to is old. a new remastered version i'm sure wouldn't be as squeely. very nice. ah the end was disgutsing. although it's probably so old that they are the originators of it, so i can't take that away from it. nice pick

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

These entries are nothing like what I selected....
    Does not bode well for me

• Advertisement

with 10 points for Moonlight Sonata 1st Movement - Short Version -
    Kolido

Brainvomit:

one of my favs. the power in that first 4 lead notes. what sorcery is it? gets me everytime. it's magic. what can I say. when you really intently listen it's something else. like it's dragging tears out of you. so few notes, so much emotion. so much intensity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

ShaneU wrote: »
    Mah gawd a Walrus outta nowhere! :eek:

200.gif

with 14 points for The Lonesome Boatman - Fureys -
    speckle

Brainvomit:

another song i love. spent many nights dancing like an idiot to this song. before hearing this song, did anyone know you could make such powerful emotional music with a tin whistle? if you haven't heard the version with the poem, you should check it out. sorry there's not much to say here. i just love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Wow this is certainly a pleasant surprise.

Yay Walrus

with 9 points for Albatross - Fleetwood Mac -
    ShaneU

Brainvomit:

iconic. look. M&S ruined this song. that pure emotion in so few notes is just unreal. so chill and soft, some layers slowly come in with that background lead guitar adding a few bits of colour. then we move off the main line and into the higher nnotes. I wish I didn't know this song. It's one of those songs that just blow your mind when you first hear them. the real mvp here so far is the background lead, it's like a distant cry for help, covered by the more up front, solid wails. musical genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

These entries are nothing like what I selected....
    Does not bode well for me

yeah, same here - I reckon I will be in the last 6 as usual, either very high or very low.

15 points for Yussef Dayes ft. Rocco Palladino & Charlie Stacey ~ Yesterday Princess (Stanley Clarke X Curren$y) -
    phatkev

Brainvomit

i feel some jazz coming in here. funky. lovely that drum pattern. noice. bassline very simple and solid. not sure what these crazy over the top sounds are, but they're a bit loud in my eq. feel like the drummer is the only person here who's really a musician and he just got his mates over to try and play other instruments for him hahaha. nice bit of piano there now though. i'm in a jazz club. smokey. dark. red tablecloths, whisky everywhere. the addition of the piano is vital here. drummer is wonderful. i like the loud few notes here, but i think it's fighting with the drum beat to be honest. without the drums i think it would be way nicer. but then we got what sounds like mad theramin and it fits so well. lovely. nice ending too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Irish Aris wrote:
    yeah, same here - I reckon I will be in the last 6 as usual, either very high or very low.

Goal 1 beat necro
    Goal 2 wooden spoon

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I have no idea how anything is going to go here :/

8 points go to The Pink Panther (1963) title sequence -
    Spook

Brainvomit

tappy intro. then we got the bit that everyone knows. bit of wind. ooh yeah. it's tidy. jazztastic. that roll to end the lick is just perfection. legs are dancing. i wanna be in a 50s cabaret right now. what the hell is that bit lol in the middle. gets a bit too random in the middle there. we got a nice bit of 'godfather-esque' whistley there, and then straight back into the main theme. I would have liked that to go on for a bit more. missed opportunity for me there.

with 16 points for Darkside by Lindsey Stirling -
    Mustang shelly

Brainvomit:

love a bit of lindsey stirling usually. this is nice from the start. bit of a beat here now. just makes you wanna go mental. some pluckage. noice. straight into some intensity. i like. she doesn't keep anything going too long here, so you're always intrigued. the baseline of the song continues though, everything matches well and doesn't detract. feel like i would enjoy this much more if i had some heavy bass speakers or headphones to listen with right now. a bit of a march here now. love it. we've some growing vibes here, we're on our way somewhere.... stop. go! just back to the usual. expected something different. not a fan of that ending there tbh.

7 points for Robert Miles - Children -
    Liz

Brainvomit:

dooo do doooooo. diddle diddle dooooo. another absolute choooon bois. the buildup after the first few bars get's the heart racing and just calls for you to start jumping. get that head banging. synthy bass in the background is easily missed usually. as is the enviroinment synths in the bg. but interesting to be listening intently and really notice them. hit the mid point go into another phrase. bass heavy. this is time to chill before we go bopping again. then we get to the icon bit that everyone's used to . still some fantastic semi-invisible synth work in the bg. problem here is that it's too samey. a few bits to differentiate would elevate this hugely. synth town. sawwwwws. layers. beats are fighting each other. noice. soft end.

17 points for Money Changes Everything (2017 Master) -
    Irish Aris

Brainvomit

chill intro. oh wow. what is this beat. seems really off, is it that the bass and drums / guitar don't match. what's happening right now. ah here. i was just getting it then sosmething changed. this is tidy beat, once my ears figured it out. i'm wiggling. yes nice. yes really liking this. ah then it goes into this weird business. gimme the other bit back. nice bit of strange positional wibby wobby there. nice. i'm a fan of this. very well put together. like they've got all the spectrums covered here. oh nice. bit of bg wibby wobby. yep, i'm feeling it. feel a solo coming up? will it show? it needs to because i'm getting a bit bored now. ok bit of change here. soft tho. fade out. ah i feel like some big ending was needed to round this off. sad

6 points to Harold Faltermeyer - Axel F -
    necro

Brainvomit:

obviously know this one very well. that synth start is so iconic. then the bass and percussion rattling in. great choon. 'oh hello Axwell'. little bit of video game-esque softness followed by some bass solo and some interesting chimes. Overall, it's very bland though listening to it through intently. hang on, what's this, some mad xylophoney bit and now it sounds like some tropical bop. nice. those beats. the synthy bass djoush, love them. solid bants. mad craic.

18 points for GHOST OF THE MOUNTAIN • Dark Country Blues Slide Guitar -
    booboo

Brainvomit

noice country guitar. tidy bend there. bit ott on the reverb on the bass line tbh. oh yeah. bit of tight resolution there. it was a long journey, but they got there. seems like they're so close to perfection, but over egging it on some parts. yeah i'm liking this. that lonely cowboy strolling down the empty dust road just made it into town. and he's lookin for trouble. bweahwadah dah. noice. very good. really enjoyed that. oh its' still going. needs something interesting now or it will fall flat. ah the last minute was not as good as the rest, let it down a bit tbh.

• Advertisement

5 points for The Meters - Cissy Strut -
    osh

Brainvomit:

funky. ba ba baa ba. noice. i do have issues when bands and what not throw the balance of instruments off one way entirely. not a fan of that tbh at all. but overall the song is cool. cool until it got a bit boring. ok we got something. organy/harpsichord to change things up a bit. pretty consistenly bland tho. i'm getting bored. sad. cos i was into at the start. i mean im not not into it. it's just that it kind went nowhere.

19 points for Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony -
    BJ

Brainvomit:

one of my favourite classical songs. that intro and then the dawww daah dah dah daaah dahhhhhh. don't know how much i'll be able to say about this to be honest. I just love it. i've listened to it since i was a young lad and it came with my 'creative zen'. #fukkipods. such a fantastic song. broken into many elements over the course of it that never detract or veer away from the story it's telling. everything is cohesive and delicious.

4 points to Line Rider - Mountain King -
    arghus

Brainvomit:

ah yes, good choon indeed. that's all i got.

ps. if i'd have watched the video this might have scored higher hahah

20 points for Ennio Morricone - Cinema Paradiso -
    JGF

Brainvomit:

very fresh and uplifting start. oh no. that didn't last. melancholic. fond, but sad memories. where did it all go wrong. i feel the pain, but the underlying joy in there too. this is fantastic. i don't have much else to add. really enjoyed that

Okay, ladies and gents, that leaves us with the top and bottom three, which I will reveal in a while.

I'd highly recommend listening through those songs, there are some absolute beauties in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Some cracking choices in this round

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

tusk wrote: »
    Okay, ladies and gents, that leaves us with the top and bottom three, which I will reveal in a while.

I'd highly recommend listening through those songs, there are some absolute beauties in there!

But how long is a while? Dying of anticipation here...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

tusk wrote:

Ah bollox

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'd say we will get the final 6 mid March based on current pacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

tusk wrote: »
    19 points for Antonin Dvorak - New World Symphony -
    BJ

Brainvomit:

one of my favourite classical songs. that intro and then the dawww daah dah dah daaah dahhhhhh. don't know how much i'll be able to say about this to be honest. I just love it. i've listened to it since i was a young lad and it came with my 'creative zen'. #fukkipods. such a fantastic song. broken into many elements over the course of it that never detract or veer away from the story it's telling. everything is cohesive and delicious.

Happy with 19 points, so glad you enjoy it. Its a fantastic track.

Robert Miles giving me the nostalgic feels.

Advertisement