Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,630 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Its a few days after Carlson departure from Fox and the NYT has a report that some of the court filings of his text messages provided for the Dominion suit were redacted and the original text messages with their entire content had been discovered before the court hearing of the suit was to start.

If the content of the NYT report is correct, I can see one immediate problem for the Fox legal team then and there and that's the alleged redacting: who did the redacting of the original Carlson texts And who then presented the redacted text material to the court/Dominion Co legal people? If there was just one group doing that for Fox and the facts about both sets of text messages becoming public, Fox would have to throw in the towel and get rid of the original offender to avoid having him in the witness box talking to Dominion lawyers about his text messages.

Given the background all this is set in, its worth recalling the practice used by a particular person to stop people testifying in court about him and his alleged actions. $.

The honesty contained in the Carlson text messages may also be equally in the replies from the message recipients and shown in the next suit/s against Fox News.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The fact that they have had to publicly let it be known they are holding an file of dirt on tucker in case he starts being loose with his tongue makes it pretty obvious they are hiding quite a lot of terrible things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭amandstu

So the big lady squeezer geezer has been found unanimously guilty of sexual assault and defamation by a jury of 9 in NY.

What a c...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I wish this was a turning point and he’d be a pariah now. But his support will probably go up.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes and No.

It will probably harden his support among the MAGA set but they were already in the bag anyway.

This will definitely make it harder for him to get the Independent voters in the swing States that he would need for victory.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't looked into the particulars, but interesting that the charge of rape got a not-guilty. Guilty verdicts for everything else, but given one of the testimonies IIRC involved Trump trying to penetrate E. Carroll, it's ostensibly surprising that specific charge gave Trump the benefit of the doubt.

As to support? The independent, swing voters will be gone - and it's debatable how powerful MAGA is these days as a voting demographic. TO muddy the water though: The democrats know that if Trump gets the nom, it's a shoe-in for Biden - or as close to it. Any other competent, telegenic GOP member as Candidate and Biden's in trouble. This court case might further erode support but better for America Trump let's populism die on the vine in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 40,412 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

He got the benefit of the doubt on the rape charge because Carroll was not certain if he penetrated her with his finger or his penis. For it to be rape in NY it must be the penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Is there a republican that is competent and telegenic? Genuine question.

The next in the polls is Ron , and he doesn't appear to be completely competent or telegenic. I can't imagine his anti-choice, cancel culture, anti-lgbt rhetoric hoovering up independent voters either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus. That's madness: reading that kind of logic always reminds why women can be so reluctant to press charges when it comes to sexual assault. Sorry your honour, I didn't take a moment to check exactly what he was pushing into me.

(apologies to anyone reading this finding it excessively glib; no offence meant for those triggered)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

"Rape" is an extremely specific charge under US law and can only involve the "penetration of a vagina with a penis" , unlike elsewhere where it covers a much broader range of sexual assault as it rightly should.

Because Carroll couldn't definitively say exactly what it was that Trump put inside her , the charge of rape wasn't viable under the very narrowly defined US law.

The jury believed that he assaulted her and "penetrated" her , hence the liability for sexual assault

I feel beyond dirty just writing the above details...ugghhhh.

He's scum , but his core support won't shift as they have bought into the narrative that all bad news is FAKE , but like you say , swing voters are gone.

They either vote for Biden or they sit the election out.

I think 2024 is a bust for the GOP either way - Trump runs and he loses or they push Trump out for an alternate and enough of the MAGA loons don't vote or put Trump as a write in to hand the Democrats the win.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think the swing voters were long gone anyway, to be honest. I was more referring to his support among Republicans. He can do a huge amount of damage when he wins the nomination. It sickens me to watch it happen.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exactly. Your "small c" types probably jumped ship some time ago. Biden being as old as he is probably made the choice more palatable for them. I think the GOP have screwed themselves hard in the long term. Truth be told, they've only hung on by virtue of a series of corrupt practices such as gerrymandering along with the senate giving disproportionate power to rural states. They could have reinvented themselves like the UK Tory party does so well but instead they went full on culture war.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

The entire "Biden is too old" narrative is something of a masterstroke of marketing and political spin: Trump is only 4 years Biden's junior yet to hear some in the GOP - and plenty contrarians outside it - Trump is this physically younger, superior specimen. I suppose Trump is that type of male, rich and insecure, who desperately tries to present as younger - and god knows he marries / gropes much younger - but arguably the man is far less healthy and active than Biden. The thatched hair and spray tan doesn't fool many.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

That's the thing. Biden may fall off a bike, but at least he can still get on one.

Yay i get to use my favorite trump fact again. Its not the he cant get on one(though I agree he probably cant), he simply never would as he honestly believes humans are basically like batteries with a limited amount of energy and excercies expends this so you die quicker........

The "Human Battery Theory" brought to you by lazy fat bastards everywhere as a way to justify their slovenly sloth like behaviour by pretending that it's scientifically warranted.

This may be awkward: CNN to host a Town Hall debate with Republican voters. You'd have to wonder if there is some serious vetting of the audience's questions going on, damage control the risk of someone asking about the case. No idea how stage managed those kind of TV debates can be. Suppose it depends on the network. Cos one thing we can be sure of: trump's response won't be diplomatic or considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Your last sentence was spot on. I used to consider myself unshockable as regards Trump's behaviour, but I was aghast as how utterly crude and vile he was. He's learned nothing and it was depressing to see how the MAGA faithful lapped it up. To them he can do no wrong. Literally.

It seems Governor DeSantis is going to formally announce his candidacy for the presidency in 2024 next week. Some donors got invites down to Miami on Monday last. A diversion of dollar funding would not be welcomed by the former president. If DeSantis got the R/nomination instead of Trump, would Florida be a big enough state to house both him and Trump?

If Trump doesn't get the nomination , he'll burn the place to the ground.

The "RINOs" will have "stolen the election" and he'll have his MAGA loons out protesting and ranting at the GOP Convention.

He won't run as an independent , but he'll dance around it and fund-raise off claiming that he'll take legal challenges to the results etc. etc.

25% of the GOP core vote will either stay home or protest vote with him as a write in and they'll vote for absolute nutters down ballot as well.

• Advertisement

He's nowhere close to touching trump on a national level, and his ridiculous policies are starting to impact his popularity in Florida now as Hispanics are fleeing the state leaving shop shelves empty, building sites with 30% less employees and fields of produce unpicked. Disney have just canceled some construction and likely will stop more soon as well, on top of their court case against him being practically already won due to his own public remarks admitting guilt to specifically targeting them for their stance on his anti lgbt stuff. Right now I don't see how Trump loses the nomination to him.

Interestingly, DeSantis had the law changed in Florida that requires governors et al to resign if they declared themselves as candidate. so he gets to maintain power, privilege - and the pay cheque - while trying to be President. The same bill includes some new voter restrictions, but hey, it's a Red State so that's par for the course at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Disney have scrapped a plan of almost $1 billion to build a new corporate campus in Florida.

They didn't blame DeSantis but it seems clear what the problem is. I've heard that there are worker shortages bedeviling Florida as well, almost certainly due to draconian restrictions on immigration.

Culture war politics is great until people feel the hangover. I can't see this panning out well for Ron and his presidential ambitions.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

There are huge worker shortages across all the typical "manual labour" type roles across Florida since the immigrant crack down .

There are also general shortages of food and other goods as deliveries aren't happening etc.

H. H. Asquith

I found this on Reddit:

It's fine until I feel the consequences which is the same emotion behind Brexit. Happy to have countless lives ruined and disrupted until they have to do something themselves.

H. H. Asquith

Cynical moi: could he be angling for the V/P position next to Trump by pretending to want the main position? Give me a job or I'll.....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely no way, they clearly hate each other and have already been far too damaging in their comments.

• Advertisement

Agreed - Setting aside their clear and obvious dislike for each other , theres not a chance Trump would want anyone with any remote potential of stealing his thunder.

Same reason why he wouldn't choose MTG either.

None of the usual VP selection logic will apply to Trump , he will want a photogenic lapdog without any personal following or agenda that might steal the limelight from Trump.

Advertisement