Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Reading one article that covered his conviction and sentence, one fact that stood out is that the deed was done on the day after the storming of the Capitol building. No P/M by those behind it on what the failure of the attack on the Capitol meant for the future of the US. Instead they went on to use the same type of hacking of the vote machines in other locations and states, and used data seized from the machines in the first hacking to spread lies and fake news to the effect Trump was the legitimate winner.

It's great that Dominion won it's case in court and disproved the lies and fake news from Trump's mouth and the mouths of his spokespersons.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

Which daddy trump or putin (or both) given funding for Ukraine is part of the reasoning for the shutdown.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Him cutting a deal is exceptionally bad news for Sydney Powell as she is charged with the same offences so if his deal includes spilling on her , it puts pressure on her to make a deal and she'll have to pony up something juicy to get one.

And Guiliani was her conduit into Trumps inner circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,914 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Would be hilarious if the conspiracy theorist flipped to work with "the Feds"

She'd merely be another of those he refers to as "deranged".

• Advertisement

If the GOP impeachment hearing into Joe Biden fails because what the GOP conspiracy heads claim to be a mountain of evidence proves to be a big fat zero BUT still causes a US Govt shutdown due to the Speakers failure to do his job in keeping an orderly GOP house, will those US Govt employees and their dependents who lose due to the shutdown take revenge on the speaker and the conspiracy theorists?

Will the failure of the Speaker to do his job rebound on him within the GOP if it looks like his dereliction will affect the vote returns to the GOP?

I'm inputting a quote from an opinion-piece by Ahmed Baba [a US columnist and founder of RANNT Media] from the Irish Indo about 13 hours ago:

Former Trump chief strategist and right-wing influencer Steve Bannon echoed this on his show. Bannon suggested that starting with witnesses like Turley, who said there is no evidence of impeachable offences yet, was a mistake.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/joe-biden-impeachment-hearing-branded-unmitigated-disaster-as-even-republican-witnesses-admit-lack-of-evidence/ar-AA1htfMt?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=113f02385a7449e2b17a220f2ba27fa8&ei=34

Turley is a Georgetown law professor who has provided witness testimony for the GOP in the past.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Turley has always been Trumpy so yeah if is not convinced and Bannon thinks he is weak for the impeachment, then yeah that's not a good start to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Turley isn't the problem. The complete lack of any evidence is the problem.

But instead of admitting that, Bannon blames the process.

If they had the evidence then it wouldn't make any difference. The only mistake was allowing someone testify the truth rather than simply making stuff up.

It looks like I was a bit previous about the shutdown of the US Govt. A deal was brokered between both parties in the senate and the house. Proposed Ukraine funding of 6 Billion US$ was excluded from the approved funding.

• Advertisement

I watched a CBS Docu-video on Trump's followers last night [Trumps Last Stand] and was gobsmacked to hear some of the comments made by some elderly Irish-Americans. They would support RDS as he is Christian [they being Catholic] but because of the way Trump has been treated they will vote for him. They actually believe every word he says. One elderly woman told of about how they see Ireland, basically unchristian as it allowed LGBT Civil Marriage and abortions in its laws.

One part of the video mentioned the Irish Gent who started up Domino's Pizzas [since sold on by him] and how he supports the Irish-American Christian outlook which favours Trump. I wasn't able to get the date/time the video was recorded/made for CBS but because the sell-on of the pizza Co by him is dated now, the video probably is as well [or it used dated footage to bolster the image the video shows/showed of Trump and his effect on US society]. This gent is totally from one ancient section of Irish-American Christian society.

One former Republican congressman who opposes Trump told how this had caused a falling-out between him and others in his family, they are Pro-Trump to the collar. I hope he is not the only one in the GOP wearing the shoes that fit him.

Trump's behaviour in the NY court today should be interesting, if he shows up and tries to gaslight the proceedings and goad the judge into improper judicial behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Interesting piece in the FT, in their Swamp Notes section.

Basically was looking at polling and saying how most polling is around 50-50, but one of the main polling companies did a test.

They made the poll respondents first watch 90 minutes of speeches, talking policy etc... of both Trump and Biden and then polled.

In the polls they did, Biden ends up moving to a 6pt lead.

Upshot of the piece was that something like 68% of Americans agree with the Dem policies on the economy (give the help direct to the people) vs the Rep policies (basically trickle down), but when they analyse the Dem messaging its extremely poor when it comes to talking economy.

Is it that the Treasury Secretary [Janet Yellen] and the Presidents [White House] people are speaking from two different levels and, as a result, not getting the message across that the economy is healthy and green shoots are popping up everywhere? Is it that Trump is shouting down the economy with his statements that things are bad under Biden, were great under him and will be again when he gets back into office?

In the row between Rep Gaetz and Speaker McCarthy over the agreement between the Speaker, the GOP and the Admin party on Govt funding, Gaetz has initiated a motion to Vacate against McCarthy to strip him of the office over what Gaetz sees as a deal on Ukraine funding. Trump has apparently decided for the time being to sit on the fence, telling reporters in Iowa yesterday ""I don't know anything about those efforts, but I like both of them very much," Trump told reporters in Iowa. "I think it's too early [to comment], it just happened a little while ago. I've always had a great relationship with [McCarthy], he said very nice things about me and the job I've done, so I appreciate that."

If Gaetz was genuine in his efforts and not merely making political moves for future profit, I can't imagine that the GOP would take kindly to his efforts to cause a split in the ranks move while it was trying to enable the return of a GOP president to office. If Gaetz succeeds, the "theorists" will really have taken over the GOP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If I remember correctly it's 6 Reps and all Dems for the vote to go through; hence it's honestly in the hands of the Dems if they want to unseat him or not.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To what end though?

If the Dems lend their votes to kick out McCarthy , then what?

Who do they get instead?

Just vote for Hakeem Jefferies each time so that the GOP can never get someone over the line to show the world how utterly broken they are as a party.

Let them vote 10,15,20 times until they get bored.

Or.. The other rumour is that the McCarthy wing are looking to simply expel Matt Gaetz from Congress entirely.

Basically , he's been under investigation by the House ethics committee for quite some time related to the whole "underage sex trafficking" allegations. He was cleared legally , but in theory , the Ethics committee could find him guilty and expel him from Congress.

Gaetz has few if any genuine allies in Congress so not many are going to go to bat for him if the charges are applied.

But from the Dem side , they can just sit back and watch the GOP self immolate over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,947 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Indeed either way the GOP implodes so I think they are better off keeping their hands clean and if it helps get gaetz out of congress its a win for everyone alongside it likely splitting the GOP even further.

For sure , it's a lose/lose for the GOP.

If Gaetz stays and forces the vote they will spend weeks fighting and dumping on each other endlessly.

If they oust Gaetz via the Ethics committee it's as bad because they will be kicking him out basically for annoying them , but will have done nothing to kick out George Santos who is currently under multiple Federal indictments.

To quote AOC from the article I linked earlier.

"The idea that Republicans would expel Gaetz over creating political headaches for themselves but not Santos over indictment on 13 Federal charges, including 7 counts of wire fraud and 2 counts of lying to Congress, seems wild," Ocasio-Cortez posted on X. "They'd be setting themselves up for the entire cycle."

For the Dems - As they say , never interrupt your enemy making a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Somewhat a combination of:

1. Trump and Reps just shouting a very black & white, Bidenomics is failing message (with no back up data) and,

2. They did an analysis of messaging from all levels of Dems (Pres, Senate, House) and found that they're just not talking about it very much

Inflation makes the GOP refrain an easy sell.

Things are quite a bit more expensive now than they were 2/3 years ago. That is a simple fact.

The fact that it could have been much worse or that the current economic policies are setting the US up well for the future is a much more esoteric and difficult argument to make.

• Advertisement

Turning interesting on the Speaker V Gaetz spat, RTE drive-time news has reported that the Dems have decided they are refraining from voting in congress on the vacate motion by Gaetz against McCarthy. The vote is to take place in an hours time. Trump has greater issues on his plate in NY. I still cant see how the GOP will get itself off this latest self-inflicted barb.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,823 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s interesting but Kevin McCarty is in this position because of the deal he made to become speaker.

If the GOP leave McCarthy in situ after their vote, I'm reckoning that would be a loss for Gaetz and his side as the decision not to sideline McCarthy would be purely a GOP decision. Gaetz shouldn't complain that the Dems were involved or to blame for the vote outcome, unlike the line Trump would use in similar circumstances.

It might, just might help McCarthy's strength as Speaker and enable thinking people in the GOP get a grip on the party handle away from the theorists. That could harm Trumps hold on the party and his divisive antics, not having people like Gaetz in positions of power in the party doing his bidding.

Well just happened to catch the very end of the first vote which was one to kill the motion to remove McCarthy from the speakership and that failed so now it’s on to a vote to remove him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,520 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump slapped with a gag order after posting about the judges clerk and doxxing her on truth social.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,299 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And he's gone... 216-210 with eight Republicans voting to remove McCarthy from the speakership.

Well reporters should be asking Matt gaetz what’s next. He’s created this mess by forcing the vote.

McCarthy gone, voted out of office by house. His replacement does not even have to be a member of the house, unlikely as that might seem. Office of 2nd in line in succession order to the President vacant.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,162 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God I love seeing the GOP party in turmoil and it's all thanks Trumps crazy's

Fecking love see the GOP get what they deserve

• Advertisement

McCarthy not planning to stand again it would seem.

This could take a while.

Advertisement