Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/redistrict/status/1386760864267649032

Yes. Those numbers are current pure raw numbers though. It doesn’t take into account gerrymandering etc from the redistricting.

In terms of office-holding, would I be right in thinking that fresh elections would be held to fill the seats or would the seats be a privilege granted to the lead party in Texas and the other states with increased representation? I am presuming that the party which held the seats removed from the states deprived would not be allowed shift the previously-elected seat holder to Texas [or where-ever] to hold on to the seat for the party as that would be a type of gerrymandering.

Fresh elections could show how the popularity of a party is with voters and show how changing the rules allowing freedom of the vote has been affected over the months since Nov 2020. I don't know how either party would feel right now about wanting seat elections to be held as promptly as possible or dragged out over months for party advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The seat changes apply at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,566 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

While many GOP people are rubbing their hands at gaining housing seats, is it not the case that if these states have seen an influx of people who have moved from the likes of NY, CA etc that these people are likely bringing their liberal mindsets with them?

We've already seen places like Texas trend towards Dems in recent elections, the influx of people could help continue this to the point in which results from there start to be particularly interesting.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

While many GOP people are rubbing their hands at gaining housing seats, is it not the case that if these states have seen an influx of people who have moved from the likes of NY, CA etc that these people are likely bringing their liberal mindsets with them?

We've already seen places like Texas trend towards Dems in recent elections, the influx of people could help continue this to the point in which results from there start to be particularly interesting.

Yes they have , however the GOP control the State houses in these places and will gerrymander the districts to within an inch of their lives to marginalise Liberal voters and to ensure the maximum number of GOP reps get elected.

That, allied to the wholesale changes to access to voting is how the GOP intend to win the next elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,184 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Looks like Cheney is out the door

I dont think we've ever seen anything like this that 1 man has such a strangle hold on a political party in the free world at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

How much trouble is Barr in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Headshot wrote: »
    Looks like Cheney is out the door

Depends on who you listen to

• Registered Users Posts: 39,853 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Has there been something that’s come out recently ? I mean he’s kind of been off the radar since he resigned as AG.

The Liz Cheney thing is ridiculous btw as she’s voted more with trump in his four years than Jim Jordan and others so the Kevin McCarthy message comment is rubbish. She and mitt Romney are getting push back for just calling balls and strikes as they say.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hard to know..Probably not a whole lot though.

Very few peoples opinions of him will be changed and I doubt anything criminal/legal will arise.

The likelihood is that all the release of the memo will do it confirm what most people knew at the time.

He deliberately misinterpreted the Mueller findings to spin the report to put Trump in a more positive light , it may also confirm what most people also know , that another less partisan AG would probably have been perfectly fine with Trump being charged with some form of Obstruction.

But , like I said , most people have already made up their minds on whether his actions were good or bad.

The Memo won't really change anyones mind.

Florida bill would fine social media platforms for banning politicians— with exemption for Disney

"Florida is on the verge of passing legislation that would fine social media companies like Twitter and Facebook that “knowingly de-platform” political candidates."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/1/22413934/florida-bill-restrict-social-media-politicians-twitter-facebook-disney-trump

Suddenly the free-marketers are not too keen on the free-market.

All because Daddy Trump got banned.

• Advertisement

Florida bill would fine social media platforms for banning politicians— with exemption for Disney

"Florida is on the verge of passing legislation that would fine social media companies like Twitter and Facebook that “knowingly de-platform” political candidates."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/1/22413934/florida-bill-restrict-social-media-politicians-twitter-facebook-disney-trump

Suddenly the free-marketers are not too keen on the free-market.

All because Daddy Trump got banned.

First time they try to fine Twitter or whoever , they'll get taken to Federal court and they'll lose badly.

There are just so many ways that bill is utterly unsustainable in actual law it's ridiculous.

But , like you say they all have decided that they must bend the knee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

With the media reporting stories that Rudy is asking Don for financial help to pay off his own defence legal fees covering the investigation into his Ukraine activities carried out on behalf of Don, I cant help but think some persons may be applying pressure to try cause a big spat between the duo, given Don's habit of responding with hasty double-edged statements to the media, maybe even trying to get Rudy to throw Don under the bus in his own interests. The persons doing the reporting don't seem to have come across any statements from Don that he will provide funds himself to assist Rudy with his reported legal defence funding shortage. Even with his being cut off from his previously free media stages, it looks like Don may be under better public management.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    First time they try to fine Twitter or whoever , they'll get taken to Federal court and they'll lose badly.

There are just so many ways that bill is utterly unsustainable in actual law it's ridiculous.

Well look how he signed it.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1390281131703029761?s=20

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-ron-desantis-signs-controversial-election-bill-in-fox-friends-exclusive-surrounded-by-cheering-fans/

This isn't a serious attempt at law, it's an utter appeasement to a cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But what effect would passing such a law in Florida even have? It, I assume, wouldn't have effect in other states, never mind globally. So would Twitter have to create a system whereby if you are in Florida you can receive his messages?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But what effect would passing such a law in Florida even have? It, I assume, wouldn't have effect in other states, never mind globally. So would Twitter have to create a system whereby if you are in Florida you can receive his messages?

Absolutely nothing.

Here's a scenario.
    • Twitter ban a Political figure for breaching the ToS , DeSantis for example.
    • Florida sends a fine (DeSantis still banned)
    • Twitter refuse to pay (DeSantis still banned)
    • Florida take them to court (DeSantis still banned)
    • Florida court *maybe* supports the Florida law (DeSantis still banned)
    • Twitter go to Federal Court and Fine is overturned (DeSantis still banned)
    • Florida go to Supreme court and law is overturned for a multitude of constitutional reasons (DeSantis still banned)

It's a pointless , pathetic servile sop to Trump and "the base", nothing more nothing less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Absolutely nothing.

It's a pointless , pathetic servile sop to Trump and "the base", nothing more nothing less.
    I'd guess Twitter would successfully argue it's federal court because of the different location of Twitter HQ and Florida state being in two different states (and hence it's federal court as "neutral ground"). A Florida court with a judge that would for some reason rule against twitter would never happen in the first place and it would be struck down (in same way several abortion laws etc. have been struck down in federal court previously after laws were passed at state level by republicans).

Nody wrote: »
    I'd guess Twitter would successfully argue it's federal court because of the different location of Twitter HQ and Florida state being in two different states (and hence it's federal court as "neutral ground"). A Florida court with a judge that would for some reason rule against twitter would never happen in the first place and it would be struck down (in same way several abortion laws etc. have been struck down in federal court previously after laws were passed at state level by republicans).

For sure..

The Court phase could go a few ways - Maybe Twitter can push to go to Federal level immediately , maybe a Florida Judge actually applies the law and isn't just a Politically appointed rubber-stamper.

But either way, eventually this law gets tossed and Florida loses.

On some levels you wonder if the GOP almost want something like this to transit through the courts giving them the opportunity to litigate Section 230 to try to get it removed.

Similar to their repeated attempts at passing extreme abortion laws to try to force the Supreme court to take up the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's the same old flood the field with ****, excuse my French. but it is just that as deployed by long time trump Ally Roger stone. The Tory's in the UK are still at the same thing per Cummings strategy is chaos continually always sow nonsense keep it regular then you keep the base always pissed off so they are available at any time to back you due to heightened sense of pissed off. It works. It's worked in the UK this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭serfboard

listermint wrote: »
    strategy is chaos continually always sow nonsense keep it regular then you keep the base always pissed off so they are available at any time to back you due to heightened sense of pissed off. It works.
    Yeah, they call it keeping the base "energised". Gerrymandering, election laws and energising are their only chances of winning in a lot of places - ban (many of) the other crowd from voting and ensure that your crowd show up.

The GOP has a 'war' mindset. Everything is a culture war, a war on christmas this, war on meat that. That's how they flout the shame they should otherwise feel for having a nebulous aura of principles. Especially evidentiary at the ballot box. The Democrat's premise is simpler: if your ideas are so popular, prove it. And the GOP is openly terrified of that. They call a large voter base a power grab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,853 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So bamboo fibres in Arizona ? That’s the level of ****ehawkery the GOP are at it seems. The so called greatest democracy in the world is looking like a deleted scene from one flew over the cuckoos nest.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So bamboo fibres in Arizona ? That’s the level of ****ehawkery the GOP are at it seems. The so called greatest democracy in the world is looking like a deleted scene from one flew over the cuckoos nest.

He's now also started crying that there was massive fraud in states that have never yet been mentioned before and were not part of any attempted suits, like New Hampshire. It's a massive grift.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

So the Republican party is saying they're a one man band or nothing. :confused:

If they can't grow without him the Dems should be doing all they can to have him locked up but on the flip side that would make him a martyr to these loons

dogbert27 wrote: »

If they can't grow without him the Dems should be doing all they can to have him locked up but on the flip side that would make him a martyr to these loons

To be honest, let them on.

He will never get re-elected , simple as that - No matter how hard they try.

Their efforts with Vote suppression and gerrymandering will help them in the House and Senate , but Trump will undo a lot of that benefit by continuing to undermine Election integrity.

If you're one of the 70% of GOP voters that think the election was stolen, why bother to vote if your leader tells you that your vote won't be counted anyway?

That effect was in clear view in Georgia and he'll do absolutely nothing to fix that before the mid terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

dogbert27 wrote: »

I rather saw the DoJ taking this up and not democrat's

To be honest, let them on.

He will never get re-elected , simple as that - No matter how hard they try.

Their efforts with Vote suppression and gerrymandering will help them in the House and Senate , but Trump will undo a lot of that benefit by continuing to undermine Election integrity.

If you're one of the 70% of GOP voters that think the election was stolen, why bother to vote if your leader tells you that your vote won't be counted anyway?

That effect was in clear view in Georgia and he'll do absolutely nothing to fix that before the mid terms.

I wish I was as confident as you about this but I'm not. Not even close. We never thought a failed business man who had never been elected to any office and who was caught on tape bragging about assaulting women would win in 2016, and look how that turned out.

I'm one of the people who said last year that as soon as it was obvious that Trump was going to lose, that the GOP would cut him loose. While it never got to that point ahead of the election, it was clear afterwards that not only had he lost, but that he was doing serious damage in undermining election integrity with his continued claims, court submissions and culminating in inciting the insurrection of January 6th.
    And yet, with all this in very plain view, they have still rolled over completely to him. It cannot be understated how sinister this all is.
    Kevin McCarthy, who Trump refused to help when McCarthy asked him to call off the insurrectionists on Jan the 6th, went to visit him in Mar-A-Lago barely a month later. Lindsey Graham, who said 'enough was enough' and he no longer supported him, has now said the above. Mitch McConnell who blamed Trump for the insurrection refused to vote to impeach him for it (as did Graham, McCarthy and others) and Niki Haley who also said that she held him responsible has since said that she will not run against him if he wants to run in 2024 and will indeed vote for him. And Trump got the keynote speech position at the GOP conference with a gold statue of him on proud display in the conference hall (which also had a stage replicating a Nazi symbol).

And while all this is going on, several states have brought in voter suppression Bills which will limit access to voting for people of colour with Florida being the latest to do this with DeSantis signing the bill live on Fox News yesterday with all other media banned from attending.

And it is worth noting, that 180K votes across 4 states, if they had gone to Trump instead of Biden last November would have been enough to return him as President.

2024 is going to be a bigger ideological election than 2020 was and I for one look very cynically at the thought of how the GOP (with Fox) are going to fight that and what he is liable to do if he gets back in. Even if he loses 10M from those who voted for him last time out, he will still get 65M and if the turnout drops back to where it was before 2020 then he will be back in with a shout once again. And I'm not so sure that he would lose one in seven of his voters because of his behaviour. Put this with the suppression bills introduced, a 3 year older Biden meaning possibly Kamala running as the primary contender and the picture gets very dark.

We've seen recently it said that Democrats bring a knife to a gun fight, the GOP are going to come with WMD next time out.

It's down to his health or SDNY keeping him off the ballot in 2024 and I have no confidence in the justice route because I fear he'll use his likely candidacy as a way to stop those investigations proceeding.

^^^^^

This is what I was talking about in this sentence.
    It's down to his health or SDNY keeping him off the ballot in 2024 and I have no confidence in the justice route because I fear he'll use his likely candidacy as a way to stop those investigations proceeding.

https://twitter.com/NoahBookbinder/status/1390660186390425603

The signaling from Trump, Graham, the GOP, and the FEC even is that every political appointee of the GOP may at this point be out to orchestrate his re-election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Overheal wrote: »
    The signaling from Trump, Graham, the GOP, and the FEC even is that every political appointee of the GOP may at this point be out to orchestrate his re-election.

I mean their entire party policy at the moment is just whatever Trump says and he is just rambling on at this point.

Advertisement