Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

retalivity wrote: »
    What is this noise about Trump pardoning Joe Exotic from Tiger King??
    Is it false or can it be expected???
    At this point the rumour is that it's cash-for-pardon, so if he raised enough money I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think I am capable of being surprised by this Presidency any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

retalivity wrote: »
    What is this noise about Trump pardoning Joe Exotic from Tiger King??
    Is it false or can it be expected???

It started in April when he was asked by a reporter if he would consider giving Joe Exotic a pardon. Trump said he knew nothing about the case but he would "look in to it".

https://decider.com/2020/04/09/trump-joe-exotic-pardon/

From the the legal team got thrown a bone and has been pursuing a presidential pardon since.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,158 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Expect Bannon to be pardoned

Quite sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Headshot wrote: »
    Expect Bannon to be pardoned

Quite sickening
    Source? Reuters seems to be reporting that they are not expecting a pardon for Bannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I think at this stage Trump supporters don't care who he pardons, in fact, the more outrageous the better. They see it as his parting two fingers to democracy and if they think his choice of pardons gets under the skin of democratic supporters, even better.

I am just glad he's going. Nothing can take the smile off my face that in spite of everything he is leaving the White House and he doesn't want to.

Is CNN going to be broadcasting the inauguration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Has Pompeo gone a bit white supremacist, America is not about multiculturalism? His ignorance that he served in the most authoritarian Whitehouse is ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/SecPompeo/status/1351537398564286466

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Has Pompeo gone a bit white supremacist, America is not about multiculturalism?

He's going after that lovely, lovely 74 million vote cache before it goes past its best before date.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Still going are you ?qanon are less than a few years old. They've killed one only two weeks ago in the centre of Nashville. Or shall we quickly brush that under the carpet.

The US is fast on a failed course if people like yourself who I'd argue are quite intelligent and middle of the road , start to excuse a movement like Q Anon as being a normal part of political discourse.

Your deflection on to Sinn Fein in Ireland is in short , gas

I am not excusing the movement. I'm making the observation that the actions by the British and Irish to Sinn Fein were correct, despite their movement. That in no way means I am a supporter of the PIRA or SF, it means that I value the position that representatives elected by the people should be respected in that position, even if you strongly disagree with them.

It is not an inconsistent position to say that 'Q-anon's political wing' (for lack of a better term) needs to be accepted into the positions in which it was elected whilst at exactly the same time saying that the full capabilities of the nation's law enforcement should be permitted to address Q-anon's illegal operations, including those conducted by politicians.

My first thought, and I'll almost guarantee that the security forces have thought about it as well, is that that is the likely use for the HMMWV which went missing a couple of days ago.
    At what stage will you find a bone (spur? Ha) to remember that oath you must have sworn to defend the constitution against enemies foreign AND domestic

Tres amusant. And personally insulting.

Does that Constitution, or does that Constitution not, provide rules for the appointment (and if necessary, removal) of elected representatives? In the entire history of congress, five representatives have been expelled from the House. Three for taking up arms against the US (they enlisted in the Confederate military), one for bribery and one for bribery, corruption and racketeering. All five are definable crimes in legislation.

To quote the US Supreme Court in Abrams vs United States: "we should be eternally vigilant against attempts to check the expression of opinions that we loathe and believe to be fraught with death, unless they so imminently threaten immediate interference with the lawful and pressing purposes of the law that an immediate check is required to save the country” or Snyder v Phelps "this Nation has chosen to protect even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that public debate is not stifled"

Advocating for conspiracy theories is not sufficient grounds for expulsion and saying that it is, I submit, runs counter to the principles of the Constitution that you say I ignore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,292 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Has Pompeo gone a bit white supremacist, America is not about multiculturalism? His ignorance that he served in the most authoritarian Whitehouse is ridiculous.

It's always just simpler when people out themselves as gigantic a$$holes, announcing to the world how against "woke / PR culture" they are. It just makes it easier to know what to make of folks, such as Pompeo here. What is it they say, something about parity & aiming for equality feeling like prejudice?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not racist but...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

How many people have those associated with Q-Anon blown up?

If your point is that they are not particularly comparable, I agree with you. If the point is that politicians should be considered in light of their connections to 'threat of terror', then there's an obvious comparison. SF haven't always been the sweet, peaceful party they've been the last two decades, yet they were still running in elections and in some cases, winning.

SF= Irish nationalist, Marxist party with ties to an organisation fighting for a 32 Marxist republic. You may disagree with them but at least it’s an aim that makes sense.

Qanon= Supporting their saviour, Donald Trump, who fighting an imaginary conspiracy of Satanist pedophiles

I don’t think your comparison holds.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 17,905 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Reposting this fortune teller:
    “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

- H.L. Mencken 1920

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Mussolini played by James Gandolfini.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,076 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He's going after that lovely, lovely 74 million vote cache before it goes past its best before date.

The 2024 Republican primary is going to be a sh1tshow (again):

Potential runners who will pander to the dregs of the base:
    • Donald Trump (Senior or Junior)
    • Pompeo
    • Cruz
    • Hawley

• Registered Users Posts: 21,330 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ivanka IWT and Haley.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I am not excusing the movement. I'm making the observation that the actions by the British and Irish to Sinn Fein were correct, despite their movement. That in no way means I am a supporter of the PIRA or SF, it means that I value the position that representatives elected by the people should be respected in that position, even if you strongly disagree with them.

As you've mentioned, SF boycotted the U.K Parliament but that practice began in 1918 by it not taking the seats they won in Ireland in the British General election called by the British Govt covering what it saw as the union of the peoples of the British Isles. Going back in Irish history, The 1st Dail was set up in 1919 by SF as an Irish Parliament in opposition to the British [Westminster] Parliament as a further step to independence.

As you've pointed out, Govts' actions are correct from their POV, as shown by De Valera's own govt in WW2 when it executed IRA men convicted by its special courts. Dev being a SF deputy elected in the above British 1918 general election.

SF split several times in the 20's all the way up to the present day on sitting/not sitting in the Dail in Ireland. The late 60's Official SF and Provisional SF with military wings, Official IRA [dumped arms] and Provo IRA very active. PIRA split itself during/after peace deals. Real IRA, Continuity IRA etc popping up as dissidents to the Provo [dump arms] line.

BTW, this is just a potted history of the past 100 years of SF/IRA and likely to dispute by historians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

The 2024 Republican primary is going to be a sh1tshow (again):

Potential runners who will pander to the dregs of the base:
    • Donald Trump (Senior or Junior)
    • Pompeo
    • Cruz
    • Hawley

I wouldn't be surprised if Ron De Santis got involved. Tom Cotton's name has been floated about

Cotton and Haley would be more in the conservative mould, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,819 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So this time tomorrow Trump and that whole circus will be out of office and maybe the Biden/Harris administration will be a bit boring but I think the world will take boring after four years of grifting and outright lies. It’ll be nice to not know every thought of the president at all hours of the day and night.

I’d say the diplomatic channels will be delighted. Again, if foreign government ministers are talking to their American counterparts, at least they’ll know that what the American diplomat says isn’t likely to be undermined by a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Water John wrote: »
    Cotton and Haley would be more in the conservative mould, I think.

2 people who are absolute cliches of Regan Zombieism, nothing to say bar MUH VENEZUELA ,MUH CHINA. Dead in the primary.

De Santis is an excellent shout, the only person I have seen get regular praise from the MAGA wing of the party and the more Neo conservative Reganist base.

Florida will be very messy though, Ric Scott will run also and will try and squash everyone from state including Ron , Rubio etc.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    SF= Irish nationalist, Marxist party with ties to an organisation fighting for a 32 Marxist republic. You may disagree with them but at least it’s an aim that makes sense.

Qanon= Supporting their saviour, Donald Trump, who fighting an imaginary conspiracy of Satanist pedophiles

I don’t think your comparison holds.

Is that not something which the people who voted for the representative ought to decide, not other representatives? "Makes sense" is an extremely subjective standard. Where's your line? I would say that GOP representatives refusing to certify votes doesn't make sense as it's a position absent any evidence whatsover, is that also grounds for them to be expelled from Congress? If something truly does not make sense, it seems reasonable that the person not making sense will soon enough find themselves voted out of office. Either way, whether it makes sense or not, the question posted earlier was related to 'potential threat of terror', which I submit SF was reasonably associated with at the time.

We have plenty enough disputes on things which 'make sense' (or better yet... 'common sense'), yet we find ourselves in disagreement. Even 'rational' assessment isn't a great argument in the US, as a US court observed, just because a law is objectively bad policy doesn't mean it's illegal or can be overturned by anything other than the normal political and legislative process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭piplip87

Any word on the pardons. Jaysus I'd say social media will go mad if the Tiger King gets one. Although it wont happen would anybody actually be surprised.

I'd imagine Trump will set up a media network and imagine Tiger Kings doing a news segment between Bill O'Rielly and Alex Jones.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Is that not something which the people who voted for the representative ought to decide, not other representatives? "Makes sense" is an extremely subjective standard. Where's your line? I would say that GOP representatives refusing to certify votes doesn't make sense as it's a position absent any evidence whatsover, is that also grounds for them to be expelled from Congress? If something truly does not make sense, it seems reasonable that the person not making sense will soon enough find themselves voted out of office. Either way, whether it makes sense or not, the question posted earlier was related to 'potential threat of terror', which I submit SF was reasonably associated with at the time.

We have plenty enough disputes on things which 'make sense' (or better yet... 'common sense'), yet we find ourselves in disagreement. Even 'rational' assessment isn't a great argument in the US, as a US court observed, just because a law is objectively bad policy doesn't mean it's illegal or can be overturned by anything other than the normal political and legislative process.

I don’t think she should be removed from office without breaking the law, unless it’s by the voters.

I was only taking issue with you Qanon/SF comparison. It was way off base man.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I suppose the question for Qanon believers elected to Congress is, they take an oath. If they're in breach of that oath, who holds them to account?

I see that there have been 12 members of the national guard have been removed from their duty for tomorrow. 12 ? Jesus I know it’s not a big number in terms of the total number but surely that can’t have happened often. I see senator objection josh hawley is going to object to a fast consideration of the DHS nominee. This crowd are something else.

Harris will be swearing in 3 new Senators tomorrow once she's sworn in as VP. Hawley is only signalling, the Senate will approve in a few days.
    It will be interesting to see if some appointments are passed without objection tomorrow. They usually are some on Inauguration Day.

Just to note McConnell said on the floor of the Senate today that Trump riled up the mob. Cruz was sitting in the Chair at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sure when Pompeo had one of his visits to Florida he was met by a Floridian SWAT team, one member wearing a big Qanon badge on his official law enforcement gear. Now in fairness he was demoted because of it, but he's probably still in law enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

pence's goodbye tweets had a bunch of photos of his time in office, trump in none of them.

froog wrote: »
    pence's goodbye tweets had a bunch of photos of his time in office, trump in none of them.

Well I don’t blame pence if I’m honest. I mean yes he went along with trumps ****e for four years and history won’t look on him favourably for it. But the riot at the capitol just under two weeks ago had trump supporters chanting “hang Mike pence” and put him, his wife, his daughter, and his brother who is a congressman in danger. If someone you knew put your family in danger you’d probably have a fairly dim view of that person.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see that there have been 12 members of the national guard have been removed from their duty for tomorrow. 12 ? Jesus I know it’s not a big number in terms of the total number but surely that can’t have happened often. I see senator objection josh hawley is going to object to a fast consideration of the DHS nominee. This crowd are something else.

Abundance of caution. Only two had "possible links to extremists." No information as to why the others were removed.

Provost Marshall of the National Guard bureau on CNN said something similar happened four years ago. It seems that it's more a matter of the sheer numbers of Guardsmen this time around, and the fact that people are actually paying attention.

However, I also hope that the standard is no higher than that of DC or Capitol Police.

Advertisement