Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB C Dock with USB A laptop

Options
  • 16-01-2021 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Some advice please, I have Dell dock with two screens connected to the dock via 2 HDMI ports.

The dock connects via a single USB C to my Dell XPS13 which also charges the laptop. So far so good.

My wife’s employer has given her a Chromebook (Dell 3189) which has two USB A and one HDMI port. It does not have USB C.

Is it possible to connect the chromebook to the same dock using an adapter and run the two screens off it? Obviously it won’t charge it, but can you connect a type C to an A and use the full feature of the dock?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

spamshine wrote: »
    My wife’s employer has given her a Chromebook (Dell 3189)

Is your wife employed by a Cavan man cause thats very tightfisted? Really a machine for a 12yo in school not a work tool.

If the dock is actual USB C (USB C can carry 5 or so protocols like Thunderbolt, DP, HDMI over C) then an A to C adapter might in theory work but really even 1 1080p monitor will be 2x as many pixels to push. May not be pretty but should work. The dell chromebooks do support docked operation.

Advertisement