Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surlaw - Ireland's Guilty Pleasure Number Ones

• 17-01-2021 4:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

eoIhMLDmtWpg.gif

Hello There! Welcome to Ireland's Greatest Number One of all time competition! I am your host Fred Rickwood and I have personally chosen what I believe to be Ireland's twenty best number ones ever! They got to the top of the charts so they must all be great right????

To play along SEND A PM with your top ten songs in order to ever popular Boards.ie layabout ShaneU! If you would like your votes to remain anonymous let him know! :pac:

Here we go in chronological order

SPOTIFY PLAYLIST

YOUTUBE MUSIC PLAYLIST

The Archies - Sugar Sugar hit number one for six weeks in 1969

Edison Lighthouse - Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) was top of the Irish chart for four weeks in 1970

Dana - All Kinds of Everything topped the Irish chart for nine weeks in 1970

Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep was number one for three weeks in 1971

The New Seekers - I'd Like Teach The World To Sing (In Perfect Harmony) was at the top spot for two weeks in 1972

Dawn featuring Tony Orlando - Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round The Ole Oak Tree was number one for six weeks in 1973

Mud - Tiger Feet was number one for two weeks in 1974

Bay City Rollers - Bye Bye Baby topped the Irish chart for four weeks in 1975

Brotherhood of Man - Save Your Kisses For Me was number one for just one week in 1976

Chicago - If You Leave Me Now was top spot for six weeks in 1976

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,946 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Bucks Fizz - The Land of Make Believe topped the Irish chart for two weeks in 1982

Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight was top spot for five weeks in 1982

Goombay Dance Band - Seven Tears knocked Tight Fit off the top and stayed there for three weeks

Billy Joel - Uptown Girl was top for three weeks in 1983

Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go was number one for two weeks in 1984

Chris De Burgh - The Lady In Red was number one for seven weeks in 1987

Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now topped the Irish chart for two weeks in 1987 only to be knocked off by our next song on the list

Johnny Logan - Hold Me Now was number one for four weeks in 1987

Glenn Medeiros - Nothing's Gonna Change My Love For You topped the Irish chart for three weeks in 1988

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby was number one for only one week in 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

Well I did warn you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

ShaneU wrote: »
    Well I did warn you...

At a glance, there are some songs in there that I really like, and there are more than a few that I really don't... There'll definitely be 10 I like though... I think... Hopefully... ;)

Anyway, not gonna start listening right before I go to sleep... Cheese before bed leads to nightmares... :D

If that's what you think the best 20 are, I would hate to have to listen to the worst..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Well I did warn you...
    I was expecting much worse from the title :D

Also, there's one song there that's a bone fide classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

Oh wow, there's some "classics" in there. Two songs I absolutely hate but plenty I like so looking forward to a good old listen tomorrow :)

Thanks for firing one up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

There are certainly 10 there I would consider good and one stand out winning for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Guilty pleasures my Aunt Fanny. There are some absolute bangers there. I've used one in a walrus.

Great selection for a karaoke night too :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Guilty pleasures my Aunt Fanny. There are some absolute bangers there. I've used one in a walrus.

^^^^ what this guy said. Entries submitted - was very tough seperating a few of them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Middle of the Road - Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep was number one for three weeks in 1971

Nothing like a song about child abandonment to brighten up a Sunday morning

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Jesus Christ, there's more cheese there than in a branch of Sheridan's.

Tight Fit - The Lion Sleeps Tonight was top spot for five weeks in 1982

The Lion Sleeps Tonight originated as a 1930s South African isicathamiya (a style of a capella music, Ladysmith Black Mambazo are the best known exponents) song called "Mbube" by a guy named Solomon Linda. As often is the case with artists, and especially so as a black one in South Africa, he got stiffed on the royalties and died penniless. More recently a Zimbabwean producer has been trying to get royalties restored to Linda's family, with some success. There was an article on BBC News a couple of weeks ago about his efforts, and there's also a Netflix documentary about it, although I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

And for anyone interested in hearing the original, this is it. The sound quality is a bit ropey, but it was recorded in a small studio in Johannesburg in 1939. However at the time it was one of the biggest selling records in the country and is considered to be of major cultural significance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Green&Red wrote: »

Thank you for ruining that song for me forever

Zaph wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese :P
    I bet Billy Joel romps home with this.
    He is a sort of cult figure to many on Boards.ie; they even wanted to let him into the greatest black musician ever contest :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Nothing wrong with a bit of cheese :P
    I bet Billy Joel romps home with this.
    He is a sort of cult figure to many on Boards.ie; they even wanted to let him into the greatest black musician ever contest :confused:

Haha :D

Green&Red wrote: »
    Rikand wrote: »

If anything, the song has gone up in my estimation, after being put so bluntly by GnR... :pac:

If anything, the song has gone up in my estimation, after being put so bluntly by GnR... :pac:

I was about 4 when that song was released, and for a year or two afterwards it was my "party piece", frequently encouraged by my parents. Either they were blissfully unaware of what the lyrics were about, or there was some sort of subliminal message as to what would happen me if I was bold that they were hoping I'd pick up on. Joke's on them though, it never occurred to me what the song was about until GnR mentioned it.

Entry in. Was harder to separate some of them than I thought it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Ok so another game that I'm a noob to.

Do you need to give reasons or just put them in order of preference ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Lion Sleeps Tonight originated as a 1930s South African isicathamiya (a style of a capella music, Ladysmith Black Mambazo are the best known exponents) song called "Mbube" by a guy named Solomon Linda. As often is the case with artists, and especially so as a black one in South Africa, he got stiffed on the royalties and died penniless. More recently a Zimbabwean producer has been trying to get royalties restored to Linda's family, with some success. There was an article on BBC News a couple of weeks ago about his efforts, and there's also a Netflix documentary about it, although I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

And for anyone interested in hearing the original, this is it. The sound quality is a bit ropey, but it was recorded in a small studio in Johannesburg in 1939. However at the time it was one of the biggest selling records in the country and is considered to be of major cultural significance

I'm thinking of Ross and Marcel from Friends

I was about 4 when that song was released, and for a year or two afterwards it was my "party piece", frequently encouraged by my parents. Either they were blissfully unaware of what the lyrics were about, or there was some sort of subliminal message as to what would happen me if I was bold that they were hoping I'd pick up on.

:D

I'm lethal for not knowing the meaning of songs. I just go by how I feel when I hear it.

Even if I'm singing along & seemingly 'know the words', I still couldn't tell you the meaning of what many songs are about lol

Ok so another game that I'm a noob to.

Do you need to give reasons or just put them in order of preference ??

You can give reasons if you like but it's not needed, just order of preference :)

Necro wrote: »
    You can give reasons if you like but it's not needed, just order of preference :)

Cool thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel a Eurovision vibe ;) I like cheesy catchy tunes

Done and dusted.

Also I don't give a shoite who slags Chris De Burgh, THAT IS ONE SEXY MF SONG!!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I feel a Eurovision vibe ;) I like cheesy catchy tunes
    Probably because four of these artists won it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

entry in!

not hard to pick 10, hard to order them :D

• Advertisement

Also I don't give a shoite who slags Chris De Burgh, THAT IS ONE SEXY MF SONG!!
    3NWzwUP.gif
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I presume we're picking the 10 best, not the 10 worst ? :)

I actually hadn't heard a lot of these before! Some of them I can understand why ;)

Submitted now - Was easy to pick my top 6 - the bottom 4 were tricky

I didn't listen to two as I didn't need to know they'd be 19th & 20th

I presume we're picking the 10 best, not the 10 worst ? :)

Pick the ten you dislike the least :D

11 entries so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

And my cheese is of a higher calibre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,459 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

giphy.gif

Kolido and JP Liz V1 makes it thirteen victims... entrants! Your sacrifice will not go in vain

That was close - ten songs were culled in the first pass. I was worried it would be 11 and I'd have to listen to them again to revive one :pac:

Won't give away too much about my voting intention (clear number one, absolute choon!) but...

Ice Ice Baby is so, so terrible isn't it?
    One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

Was one of the ones I refused to listen to.

Under Pressure is one of my all time favourite songs and for him to rip it off like that with that abomination is unforgiveable

• Advertisement

Ice Ice Baby is so, so terrible isn't it? One of those songs I haven't heard for a decade or so. Probably haven't heard it sober for a couple of decades. There was a version in my head that was alright, then I listened to the actual song and, hell, is that what it actually sounds like? It's garbage!

It's great :D

lassykk wrote: »

Under Pressure is one of my all time favourite songs and for him to rip it off like that with that abomination is unforgiveable
    Absolutely, I've always hated the use of that sample, but I least thought the rapping over it was... competent. It's really not :eek:
    It's great :D
    It's not :D

Won't give away too much about my voting intention (clear number one, absolute choon!) but...

I remember when it came out first a friend told me his teenage sister was raving about this great new song. She played it for him and he told her that it was a sample from an older song, but she refused to believe him that something that sounded so cool could be old. He had to go and dig out his Queen records and play it for her before she'd believe him.

I think I actually scored it relatively highly, but that's more a reflection of how bad I thought so many of the others were rather than how good I think it actually is.

EN secretly you love it, just let it flow over you

tenor.gif?itemid=12437930

EN secretly you love it, just let it flow over you
    No, this is the thing, I thought I did kind of like it. It turns out my memory has improved it so much that the original is jarringly bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Anyhoo. . .
    I'm in.
    In general I despise the term "Guilty Pleasure". I will most certainly not feel guilty for the songs that I like.
    On that note I only had to go through the songs once just so I could listen to the few songs I didn't know. I had the top-6 ranked before listening and it was just a case to decide the last 4.

But great category Shane, thanks for organising!

I remember when it came out first a friend told me his teenage sister was raving about this great new song. She played it for him and he told her that it was a sample from an older song, but she refused to believe him that something that sounded so cool could be old. He had to go and dig out his Queen records and play it for her before she'd believe him.

I think I actually scored it relatively highly, but that's more a reflection of how bad I thought so many of the others were rather than how good I think it actually is.

I had a similar argument with a few people over the Eminem song that samples Aerosmith Dream On. I don't hate Eminem but at the time I loved Aerosmith so was highly offended by the sampling :D

I had a similar argument with a few people over the Eminem song that samples Aerosmith Dream On. I don't hate Eminem but at the time I loved Aerosmith so was highly offended by the sampling :D

How do these people get through their lives not knowing that, same with Ice Ice Baby? I'd be a fan of both and loved it mind.

I'd be in the Ice Ice Baby is awful camp... whether I awarded it points or not is an entirely different story...

• Advertisement
Advertisement